• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

just getting started

zobiewan

Hello,
well I became interested in the pilgrimage only just this week after reading Paulo Coelho's biography (what an inspiring man he is!). then I ran into an aquaintance of mine yesterday who is going on the pilrimage next month.
So I have started looking into it, and I have to say already I am drawn to make this journey.
here are my questions:
1.If I have one month to do it , which is the best route to take?

2. if I am coming from the US where is the best place to fly to?

3. what sort of supplies do I need if I plan to go May/June? backpack, sleeping bag, shoes??

I think that is all I have to ask right now, but any and all information would be very much appreciated!

peace,
Zoey

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
1.If I have one month to do it , which is the best route to take?

No such thing as best route as it all depends what you are looking for. However if this is your first camino and you are not looking for a long solitary journey as the Via de la Plata and some of the other less traveled routes can be, I would suggest the Camino Frances. This has the positive and negative of being the most popular route. Good because there is plenty of comradeship and help, bad because it can become crowded and commercial. Despite its faults I would go with the Camino Frances the first time.

2. if I am coming from the US where is the best place to fly to?

If money is a concern checkout the flights to London, Paris and Madrid there are ways of getting from any of them to SJPP or Roncevalles. London via Ryanair to Biarritz, Paris via TGV to Bayonne, Madrid by coach or train to Pamplona. If prices are similar the Paris option is probably best if you want to start in SJPP as you can catch the TGV train from the terminal without having to go through Paris.

3. what sort of supplies do I need if I plan to go May/June? backpack, sleeping bag, shoes??

Yes to all the Confraternity of St James http://www.csj.org.uk has a packing list and if you read that you will not go far wrong.

Buen Camino
William

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.