• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just got back from my 2nd Camino, sharing some info.

Dutchwalk53

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2015 with son #1, CF 2016 alone, CF 2017 with son #2 and husband , CF Sept 2018 with daughter
It was once again great ! I only had 2 weeks this time so walked from SJPP to Burgos.
The weather was very nice. I only had 1 day with rain. 5 cooler, but dry days and the rest nice sunny weather.
It was absolutely WAY more quiet then last year. (May 20th/June 21st) Plenty beds everywhere. I almost thought it was too quiet ha ha . This year I walked alone so welcomed the company, but there were some stretches where it was truly quiet.
The only day that I saw many pilgrims was from SJPP to Roncesvalles. I have no idea where they went the following day ha ha but I only saw a handful of pilgrims day 2. Maybe they left early. I had a late start due to a starting to feeling sick in the middle of the night . (Sore throat)

What I found different from my 1st Camino were 2 things. Physically all seemed a lot easier. The hills that I dreaded last year seemed more doable. Maybe simply because I knew what was coming? No horrible sore legs and feet this time (and once again no blisters) The other thing was that I felt more relaxed. I knew what to expect and enjoyed the scenery more . I soaked it up a bit more. Last year I rushed through some spots. This year I took some time to enjoy all more.

Some fun facts. I lost my selfie stick in Roncesvalles. Days later in Los Arcos I had dinner with 2 ladies and we talked about things we lost/forgot along the way......"My selfie stick" ....."Oh we found one " Yes it was mine lol. Also that same night an amazing performance on the plaza of Los Arcos. Turns out it was a candidate from the Spanish version of "The Voice". Great day !

Conclusion.....there will be a next Camino for me. :)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It was once again great ! I only had 2 weeks this time so walked from SJPP to Burgos.
The weather was very nice. I only had 1 day with rain. 5 cooler, but dry days and the rest nice sunny weather.
It was absolutely WAY more quiet then last year. (May 20th/June 21st) Plenty beds everywhere. I almost thought it was too quiet ha ha . This year I walked alone so welcomed the company, but there were some stretches where it was truly quiet.
The only day that I saw many pilgrims was from SJPP to Roncesvalles. I have no idea where they went the following day ha ha but I only saw a handful of pilgrims day 2. Maybe they left early. I had a late start due to a starting to feeling sick in the middle of the night . (Sore throat)

What I found different from my 1st Camino were 2 things. Physically all seemed a lot easier. The hills that I dreaded last year seemed more doable. Maybe simply because I knew what was coming? No horrible sore legs and feet this time (and once again no blisters) The other thing was that I felt more relaxed. I knew what to expect and enjoyed the scenery more . I soaked it up a bit more. Last year I rushed through some spots. This year I took some time to enjoy all more.

Some fun facts. I lost my selfie stick in Roncesvalles. Days later in Los Arcos I had dinner with 2 ladies and we talked about things we lost/forgot along the way......"My selfie stick" ....."Oh we found one " Yes it was mine lol. Also that same night an amazing performance on the plaza of Los Arcos. Turns out it was a candidate from the Spanish version of "The Voice". Great day !

Dutch, Great to hear you had a good walk. Apologies, but I cheered when you got to the losing the selfie-stick bit. Then I crashed when you described getting it back! I say consider that a test - I mean getting it back is a test. BTW, there is a large park in Sydney where I sometimes walk while training. Centennial Park is a lot like NY's Central Park. On weekends, swarms of Disneydelic-coloured (bankster?) cyclists rush around, chasing some rabbit, I guess. Therefore, LOL has come to have a second meaning for me: 'Lots Of Lycra'. Come to think of it, it's kind of conjoined to 'Laugh Out Loud'.

Buen Caminos, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I want to know what an ego-stick weighs!
I have 3 kids that are super excited that their mom does The Camino.
Last year my kids gave me a journal for the Camino. That meant carrying a bit of extra weight. But I did it with love there it was a gift from them. This year they gave me a selfie stick. That again meant carrying a bit of extra weight, but once again it never crossed my mind not to bring it. When I lost my kids gift I was upset. When, in true Camino style, I got my kids gift back several days later I was thrilled. Yeah shoot me for my ego ! ;)

Last year my kids gave me a journal for the Camino. That meant carrying a bit of extra weight. But I did it with love there it was a gift from them. This year they gave me a selfie stick. That again meant carrying a bit of extra weight, but once again it never crossed my mind not to bring it. When I lost my kids gift I was upset. When, in true Camino style, I got my kids gift back several days later I was thrilled. Yeah shoot me for my ego ! ;)
That's obviously a very different kind of selfie-stick than the ones I was thinking of. Wilt.

Lovely children!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for your upbeat and enthusiastic report, Dutchwalk. I love your "fun fact" about the selfie stick. First, what an amazing coincidence! But second, and more importantly, a selfie stick can be replaced. A gift from your kids, never. May your future bring more buen caminos!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I fully understand :cool:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for your upbeat and enthusiastic report, Dutchwalk. I love your "fun fact" about the selfie stick. First, what an amazing coincidence! But second, and more importantly, a selfie stick can be replaced. A gift from your kids, never. May your future bring more buen caminos!!
Thank you. I couldn't agree more. At first I wanted to ignore the "ego-stick" comment, there I felt I shouldn't have to explain in detail why that selfie stick meant a lot to me. But a snippy comment like that irks me. There are other more respectful ways/words to express your disagreement or give your opinion (which is totally fine). All of us (myself included) sometimes judge too soon without knowing all the facts. The Camino is, for me, such a positive happy experience, that I can only wish it is the same for everybody else too. How everybody needs to accomplish that great experience is up to them . Bringing a selfie stick and/or smart phone or not, forwarding luggage or carry your own pack, sleep in a dorm or fancy hotel , bring 6 pairs of shoes or 1 pair....etc etc. Buen Camino to you all ! :)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
[...]However everybody needs to accomplish that great experience is up to them . Bringing a selfie stick and/or smart phone or not, forwarding luggage or carry your own pack, sleep in a dorm or fancy hotel , bring 6 pairs of shoes or 1 pair....etc etc. Buen Camino to you all ! :)
Which fits perfectly well in the spirit of accomplishing a physical pilgrimage which is nowhere specified as to what to carry, how to proceed, where to start or end, etc. etc.;)

Somewhere - I'm not quite sure where - I came across a link to your Camino blog.
I really enjoyed reading it every day, with your comments and photos.
I didn't post any comments because I try to avoid having to register on too many websites.
But I'd just like to say thank you for taking the time to post, you did have someone following you x

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Somewhere - I'm not quite sure where - I came across a link to your Camino blog.
I really enjoyed reading it every day, with your comments and photos.
I didn't post any comments because I try to avoid having to register on too many websites.
But I'd just like to say thank you for taking the time to post, you did have someone following you x
Thank you. It might have been on this site where some of us shared our blog or on Camigas on FB.
Either way , I'm happy you enjoyed it and thank you for reading :)

Sorry to say, but "ego-sticks" is how these things are called where I live. And Auto-correct also knows the word and corrects it if misspelled. No need to get kne's panties in a knot. I just wanted to know what it weighed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yumpin Yimminny with bells on, don't these things develop a life of their own? You could put a smudge of this in a petrie dish and have Godzilla tomorrow morning!

We've all seen those photos of little volcanoes that pop up from the ocean floor and create new islands overnight. There's always a shot of a green shoot on the beach. Well get ready for a brand new continent...

Stand back!

[...]It was absolutely WAY more quiet then last year. (May 20th/June 21st) Plenty beds everywhere. I almost thought it was too quiet ha ha . This year I walked alone so welcomed the company, but there were some stretches where it was truly quiet.
The only day that I saw many pilgrims was from SJPP to Roncesvalles.[...] Conclusion.....there will be a next Camino for me. :)
Amazing, really, because the number of people who arrived in Santiago during the month of June, were 6'246 who had started in SJPP, 1'036 in Roncesvalles and 691 in Pamplona. 8% more than last year for the month of June.:rolleyes: You obviously picked the right moment and the right section of the Frances.:)

I read this paragraph with great interest. I walked the Camino Frances this past April and May from SJPdP to Santiago and on to Finisterre. After returning and reflecting, I have come to believe there was a subconscious anxiety each day about what the day would bring: how steep is the hill really? How difficult or rocky is the downhill? How muddy or unstable is the path? Will I miss a marker and get lost? So I am planning on returning to walk the same route starting at SJPdP next April 9, partly to see how I experience it differently, and partly becasue the calling to return is stronger than that I felt as I planned my first Camino. Knowing much about what each day will bring, perhaps I can immerse myself even more in the beauty of spring in northern Spain, and have an even deeper meditative/spiritual experience. I did, as you said, soak it up, as I was taking pictures (over 2400), some of which made it into my blog and enjoying the scenery. I think the next pilgrimage will be even deeper. Thank-you for sharing and confirming my thoughts.

--jim--

@JimGeier

I know exactly what you mean! The second Camino, on the same route, was always more 'immersed' for me than the first one. Buen Camino, SY

PS Apart of my very first one in 1999, that one was special in a way I can't describe with words ...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
more important than the weight of a stick, what is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow

So I am planning on returning to walk the same route starting at SJPdP next April

Thank you for this great post. I was beginning to wonder if I was doing the right thing by going back to walk the CF again next April. You have just outlined why I must go back. I may see you there!

I found nothing wrong in walking the same Camino 3 times. The first time was special, of course, but I was a bit like a 'rabbit in headlights' at times :D The second time I was more relaxed, I knew I could do it but it was still a journey of discovery.
The third time was blissful, stopped at different places, sometimes walked long distances and sometimes very short ones... Enjoyed every moment.
Buen (second) Camino! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have returned from walking the Camino Frances the second time from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostella. The first in the spring of 2016 and the second in the autumn of 2017. What I posted earlier here was:

Knowing much about what each day will bring, perhaps I can immerse myself even more in the beauty of spring in northern Spain, and have an even deeper meditative/spiritual experience.

The second Camino was all that and a far deeper experience than I thought it might be. I did not remember all the details, but knowing what the day would bring allowed me to immerse myself in the beauty, the sounds, the smells, all so beautiful. The meditative, spiritual, and religious experience was far deeper. I was able to learn more of the history, visit more museums, churches, make more side trips (like to Samos and to Vilar de Donas outside Palas de Rei). I ate better and attended more pilgrim's masses. The meseta was beautiful in the autumn; the vineyards of La Rioja and the Bierzo valley were green and lush with grapes about to be harvested. The climb in the breaking dawn to Cruz de Ferro was beautiful, and the climb to O'Cebreiro was harder, but made easier by a great lunch at La Faba.

My first Camino will always be special; the second a deep and very moving experience. I enjoyed every moment. I am so very grateful.

Buen Camino,
--jim--

I have returned from walking the Camino Frances the second time from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostella. The first in the spring of 2016 and the second in the autumn of 2017. What I posted earlier here was:

Knowing much about what each day will bring, perhaps I can immerse myself even more in the beauty of spring in northern Spain, and have an even deeper meditative/spiritual experience.

The second Camino was all that and a far deeper experience than I thought it might be. I did not remember all the details, but knowing what the day would bring allowed me to immerse myself in the beauty, the sounds, the smells, all so beautiful. The meditative, spiritual, and religious experience was far deeper. I was able to learn more of the history, visit more museums, churches, make more side trips (like to Samos and to Vilar de Donas outside Palas de Rei). I ate better and attended more pilgrim's masses. The meseta was beautiful in the autumn; the vineyards of La Rioja and the Bierzo valley were green and lush with grapes about to be harvested. The climb in the breaking dawn to Cruz de Ferro was beautiful, and the climb to O'Cebreiro was harder, but made easier by a great lunch at La Faba.

My first Camino will always be special; the second a deep and very moving experience. I enjoyed every moment. I am so very grateful.

Buen Camino,
--jim--
And now I just booked my 4th :)

This year My wife and I will walk from SJPP to Burgos from May 16 to May 30 for two weeks. We did walk the Camino from Leon to Santiago de Compostella last September for two weeks and it was wonderful.

How was weather in May in the area?
What kinds of stuffs should we prepare more?
Any memorable (never-missed) places we have to visit?

How was bed bugs?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.