• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just got to SJPP

bbz180

I wanted to post my blog since reading other blogs on the camino from this forum provided me joy at work...and yes I am suggesting you read this during work hours...it makes the time go by that much faster! =P

http://bbz180.blogspot.com/

Also special thanks to all those that helped me get from Bilbao to SJPP. I couldn't have come all this way without this forum...thank you all!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would like to follow your blog.
There is a facility you can add to it so that followers get updates whenever you add a post. Could you add that please so that we can follow you?
Wishing you many more angels along your walk!

Sil..... via my blogs I have two ways to follow people whether they have this enabled or not. On my dashboard, I can "add" them to the list of blogs I am following by putting their url there. Also on my blog itself, I am able to add their url to the list that is called "My blog list" and these get updated automatically with their latest postings on my sidebar. I tend to keep changing what is on my KiwiNomad sidebar to keep up-to-date with people currently walking- at the moment I am following Rita, Andy and Portia from the forum. Then anyone coming to visit KiwiNomad can get distracted and go visit the blogs of these pilgrims....
Margaret

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I look forward to following your blog. I must comment up front that your impression of a seemingly superior health care in Pamplona vs USA is seen through very small eyes indeed. So, I must ask, who do you think paid the expenses incurred? Nothing is ever free and you know it. You should also know that given the same circumstances, your friend could have entered any emergency room in the US and would have received the same mediacal attention...and yes, free , as you say it. Trouble is, somebody pays. Maybe in Spain it's the King. Here in the US it's the taxpayer. Don't forget to pay your way along the camino. Donativa is not free just because no one asks for money. On a better note, I wish you a buen camino.

Panchaplancha,
I've just read your comment...

Well, here in Europe, of course someone has to pay as well for health care.
We taxpayers pay for it - AND we pay for 'the king' (in Belgium we have also a King - and this causes debates from time to time : the expenses of the royal family, their 'salary' from state for their "job" as "king", the necessity to have one...)

The difference between (most of) Europe and US : We over here have (still) a strong social policy, we (still) are social states (welfare states) based on solidarity between people. Because everyone contributes and has to contribute, every person in need may profit from health care whether he is rich or poor.
I am very proud of this solidarity and I hope this system will survive despite of the growing extreme economic liberalism here as well...

But : That the pilgrim in need did not have to pay anything, is indeed quite curious. Normally, when I go to emergency service in the hospital, I do not pay immediately but get a bill later on because I have to pay a small part of the costs - the social securtiy covers most of it but not everything.
I guess that this is a service just for pilgrims in Spain - they do a lot to promote the Camino.

I was under the impression that pilgrims with minor problems are treated free. There is usually a doctor that can be called from most albergues. The Red Cross (Cruz Roja) also provides free treatment for blisters, pulled muscles, sun burn etc.
During the 2004 Holy Year the Galician Public Health Emergencies Foundation "061" issued a medical
care card specifically for use by pilgrims . The purpose was to insure that all pilgrims had medical coverage while on the Camino. Don't know if that will be offered again next year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As a non-EU citizen who has had several experiences with Spain's health care system, the suggestion on the blog that health care is free for foreigners is not consistent with my experience. Like Sil, I had heard that there were special procedures/rates available for pilgrims, but I have never seen that to be the case. Maybe others can correct me if I'm wrong.

In my experiences (one in Caceres, one in Belorado), I was indeed able to quickly see a doctor and receive the necessary medical care. The care was not free, however; rather, the bills arrived about 2 or 3 months later at my home address in the United States. When I was in Caceres this past spring (having had the hassle of paying a European bill from the US several years earlier), I asked the attendant taking all my information whether it wouldn't be more efficient for me to pay the bill now. For those of us outside the EU, of course, getting euros to pay the bill once we're back in the US is kind of a hassle. The employee agreed and told me that in her experience, many if not most who receive these bills just fail to pay them, but there is little that the Spanish health care provider can do about it. One obvious change would be to ask for payment up front, but that seems not to be consistent with medical practice in Spain generally.

So, I guess my thoughts here are that, just like the "free" albergues, the Camino offers freeloaders many opportunities to freeload. But that doesn't make it right.

Laurie

Just wanted to add a p.s. to my earlier post -- I am not suggesting that the writer of the blog is a freeloader and that his friends will not pay their bills when they finally get them at home several months from now. I added my comments to suggest that his impression that this was free medical care is probably not accurate and that in fact, bills will be coming to the patient's home address. My comments about freeloading were based on my observations at numerous times along various Caminos about the frequency with which pilgrims mistakenly think things are free that aren't or knowingly fail to make a "fair share" contribution.

Laurie

I just wanted to say a few things. I´m glad my post have sparked a mini debate. I did not mean to offend any Americans with my post. I just wanted to state the obvious which is how nice the ppl in spain are. I have read many posts on this forum of unhappy pilgrams stating how ppl here in spain are so rude and mean to the everyone. I have found this to be totally untrue. Every stage of this journey I have learned that ppl in Spain are actually very helpful and extremely kind. There have been many instances where I could have gotten lost but I have always ran into a kind Spainard directing and guiding me to the right path. Literally and figuratively. I think perhaps the mistake with other pilgrams are being brash about speaking their language. I have come to find that if you open your question with ´hola...una pregunta por favor´ all the ppl in the towns or the cities will gladly help you with hand gestures or some will even try to speak english to you. I actually think this is a good advice for all the pilgrams. Always remember that you are a guest in their land...and I know this is hard for us americans where English seems like an universal language. Anyways...thank for you for all the ppl reading my posts and wishing me all the luck in the world. I am just outside of Burgos and resting for my next 22 km to Hontanas!

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back