• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just Horrid Sometimes Aren’t They? …. Women Pilgrims.

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
I blame that Rebekah Scott.
Well sort of.
She lives in Moratinos, at “The Peaceable Kingdom.”
Nice place to stay they reckon.
Anyway, in her posts she’d encouraged us to be tidy pilgrims.
Maybe pick up a little rubbish along the Way.
So that’s what I was doing today. Not much. Cans and paper and stuff.
Just what I could carry in my hands to the next rubbish bin.

Found a Buff behind some big blackberry bushes didn’t I.
That stretchy tubular fabric thing you wear around your neck, or as a headband or a hat thingy.
Keeps you snuggly when it’s chilly doesn’t it.
Barbara watched as I took off my hat and slipped it over my head.
She had a strange smile on her face.
“What’s so funny?” I said. “I thought about buying one, and now I’ve found one, and I think it’s cool, and it was free, even better, so there.”
“Good good Gerard,” she replied, “Yes yes, you look fine.”
But the look of amusement never left her face.
How do you figure the mind of a woman?
It’s best to just shut up, leave it alone.
We wandered on and she met some pilgrim lady friends.
They chattered away in German, then looked at me and burst into laughter.

“I’m glad to bring such joy to my fellow pilgrims,” I said to Barbara, “but what’s so funny? C'mon now. Let me in on the joke.”
“Ok," she said. "If you insist....You know where you found the Buff behind the blackberry bushes?”
“Of course I do,” I replied grumpily.
“Well, the tissues on the ground should have told you that it was a pilgrim ladies toilet.
Why do you think it was left there?”

Regards
Gerard

Ps. Just horrid sometimes aren’t they? ….Women Pilgrims.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You know how to tell a good story, Gerard. Delightful!

That was good. That made me laugh. I feel bad for you though. But that is a wonderful anecdote. I hope you managed to clean your neck sir!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh my goodness, Gerard! Woke up to this post this morning. Hysterically funny. Almost choked on my tea!!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
this is hilarious and its exactly what would have happened to me .............. never got it till the end of your story! I'm so glad you did it though Gerard because had it been me my wife would be telling the story for years HA!

Mark

You've just gotta love us females!!! lol :D

That has to be one of the funniest stories I've read about the Camino. But, I sure can see you now with that smelly thing wrapped around your neck! Only a man would do that! Thanks for the laugh!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well that has ruined me for good!

Next time I see a woman wearing one of those things I will never be able to think about anything else but this....

Sheesh

What colour was it Gerard I think I lost one recently?

Last edited:
I wonder if that is why Buffs are called "bragas" in Spanish.

Note the word "braga" in English is "knickers" ;)

Great story……. you should publish them someday.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I blame that Rebekah Scott, well sort of.

Found a Buff behind some big blackberry bushes, didn’t I.
That stretchy tubular fabric thing you wear around your neck, or as a headband or a hat thingy.
Keeps you snuggly when it’s chilly, doesn’t it.
“What’s so funny?” I said. “I thought about buying one, and now I’ve found one, and I think it’s cool, and it was free, even better, so there.”
“I’m glad to bring such joy to my fellow pilgrims,” I said to Barbara, “but what’s so funny? Let me in on the joke.”

“Ok,” she said, “you know where you found the Buff behind the blackberry bushes?”
“Of course I do,” I replied.
“Well the tissues on the ground should have told you that it was a pilgrim ladies toilet.

Regds
Gerard

PS. Just horrid sometimes aren’t they? ….Women Pilgrims.
Such a lovely little story....thanks for the laugh.

“I’m glad to bring such joy to my fellow pilgrims,” I said to Barbara, “but what’s so funny? Let me in on the joke.”

“Ok,” she said, “you know where you found the Buff behind the blackberry bushes?”
“Well the tissues on the ground should have told you that it was a pilgrim ladies toilet.

Regds
Gerard

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
woah, the things I have to answer for! I swear that wasn´t MY Buff scarf!
I hope you stop in when you pass by Moratinos, Gerard. We could use a laff. Reb (dealing with germs, the Pilgrim donativo that keeps on giving)
I intended to stay last Camino but missed you somehow. But I will see you in September 2014.
Regds
Gerard

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And so, by generations yet unborn, it shall be called. And all shall know the story of their great ancestor, Gerard the Smelly.

I'd advise caution with the sobriquet Gerard as I have some fears that you might, by scurrilous knaves in your own parish, be henceforth known as 'Smelly Gerry' (and really get it in the neck so to speak).
On a more pressing note (nearly as pressing as that felt by the unknown peregina you so chivalrously championed by wearing her token) you should contact the Chief Herald immediately and make a formal request for the diagonal Buff/band blanc on your family crest to be changed to a more appropriate diagonal Buff/band d'or........this would be a discrete and delicate heraldic reference to the defiling sorry defining event in your personal histoire

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Regds
Gerard

Eek, Gerard! Poor smelly you! I had a good laugh remembering the 'pilgrim toilets' out in the bushes. Thanks for sharing your funny stories!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back