• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just Like They Did in "The Way"!

Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
I anticipate a Logrono-to-Leon walk this coming September....

I'm typically a 1 or 2 star man, but if I wanted to splurge and book a night at some memorable up-scale place along the way, what would you recommend?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm typically a 1 or 2 star man, but if I wanted to splurge and book a night at some memorable up-scale place, what would you recommend?
I think the parador in Leon is closed for renovations.

We stayed at the Hospederia Monastica Pax in Leon for our upscale rest.
http://www.hospederiapax.com/EN/hotel.html/EN/hotel.html

Also in Leon is the Royal Collegiate of Saint Isidoro Hotel
http://www.hotelrealcolegiata.com/en/

Neither link is secure; they are http, not https.

Last edited:
I'd probably choose something in either Burgos or Logroño if I had the means. The first for the overall excellence and beauty ; the second for the killer food and wines.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In León I would recommend Hotel Spa Q!H (Centro León Los Cubos, 6). It is situated centrally right behind the Cathedral and you could get a room facing the plaza where you will have a nice view to the cathedral. The single rooms are quite small but comfortable. The hotel have a small bar/restaurant where they serve a good breakfast –the local police patrols come in in the mornings for breakfast, which is always a good sign. And should you have an injury or something (God forbid) the ‘emergencia’ is right opposite the hotel :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I stayed in the Monasterio San Zoilo last year. Very nice, beautiful rooms and ‘an air’ of ancient monastery in the decorations in the rooms and the halls. Fabulous food in the restaurant, although a bit pricy.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stayed in the Monasterio San Zoilo last year. Very nice, beautiful rooms and ‘an air’ of ancient monastery in the decorations in the rooms and the halls. Fabulous food in the restaurant, although a bit pricy.

Good suggestion! Must look into that.... And its not so far out of town that one could not walk back to the Plaza Generalissimo for dinner. Fond memories of the Restaurante La Corte!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I also recommend the Parador in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Very nicely appointed, historic, and well located. I enjoyed two very restful nights there :)

It was there that I discovered that with huge tubs, I REALLY enjoyed the bone and muscle soothing soak in a long tub full of hot-ish water.

Years ago the Sisters ran an albergue in Santo Domingo de la Calzada, on the left just a bit before the municipal, but they renovated and turned it into a hotel. I'd investigate that one.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hmmmm. I have no idea. But @Robo was going on a while ago about in Monasterio San Zoilo in Carrion de los Condes...maybe ask him...?

Yes, that would be my #1 Pick. https://sanzoilo.com/
It has it's own church and cloisters! And food is great, though not cheap.

A second would be the Parador in Santo Domingo. (The one near the Church with Chickens. There are 2) The dinner is really good. https://www.parador.es/en/paradores/parador-de-santo-domingo-de-la-calzada

Another would be Hotel San Antón Abad. *** Lovely old building just next to the Church.

I stayed at the Saint Isidoro Hotel. It is beautiful and you can go see the Saint and the holy grail in the church. Try for an English tour and you also are allowed to walk on the old walls of the city. It is a beautiful and quiet place.

I'm typically a 1 or 2 star man, but if I wanted to splurge and book a night at some memorable up-scale place along the way, what would you recommend?
The Parador in Santo Domingo de la Calzada is very nice.

This is the link to the hospederia in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. The priest took Phil and I there for lunch last winter when we were hospitaleros in Granon. The old albergue is still open in the summer, but the sisters also run this very nice hostel with 78 private rooms which is a block off the Camino. The sisters also speak English. Most were from India and the food was very good.

The parador de los Reyes Católicos in Santiago was a very nice reward at the end...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed at the Saint Isidoro Hotel. It is beautiful and you can go see the Saint and the holy grail in the church. Try for an English tour and you also are allowed to walk on the old walls of the city. It is a beautiful and quiet place.
Wait, I saw the Holy Grail in San Juan de la Pena near Jaca.IMG_0669(2).JPG
How many are there?
Would they actually been drinking from a jewel encrusted cup? Really!

Oh, there are many. A few years ago a couple of historians traced the origins of a cup that was adorned by the daughter of a king of Leon; it was not claimed to be the Grail. They were able to trace it back to Egypt at least with a good possibility that the cup was taken from a church in Jerusalem. I think this cup has the best chance of being authentic of all of them.

I think the parador in Leon is closed for renovations.

We stayed at the Hospederia Monastica Pax in Leon for our upscale rest.
http://www.hospederiapax.com/EN/hotel.html/EN/hotel.html

Also in Leon is the Royal Collegiate of Saint Isidoro Hotel
http://www.hotelrealcolegiata.com/en/

Neither link is secure; they are http, not https.
I stayed in the Royal Collegiate of Saint Isidoro last September and it was lovely. I had a very simple room and loved the fact that there was NOT a TV in it! Take a look below. DSC_0052 mod.jpg20180917_170152 mod.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wait, I saw the Holy Grail in San Juan de la Pena near Jaca.
How many are there?

Too busy to double check just now, but I believe that the original San Juan de la Pena Holy Grail was long ago moved to Valencia, where I saw it back in the 70s..... and that the one on display at San Juan de la Pena today is an acknowledged modern reproduction.

BTW -- I hope that you enjoyed SJdelaP as much as I did! Strange and wonderful place. It was undergoing a massive rehab and renovation operation when I was there last year.

Last edited:
Oh, there are many. A few years ago a couple of historians traced the origins of a cup that was adorned by the daughter of a king of Leon; it was not claimed to be the Grail. They were able to trace it back to Egypt at least with a good possibility that the cup was taken from a church in Jerusalem. I think this cup has the best chance of being authentic of all of them.

The book is The Kings of the Grail, and when it came out in 2015 the Museum quickly rearranged its exhibits to call attention to the cup, and better ensure its security. The book makes its case rather well, but I don't believe that the Museum actually claims that its Holy Grail is the "authentic" Holy Grail. ...

A must see for any religiously motivated peregrino! Take the tour even if you don't speak Castilian.

I've seen three Holy Grails, btw -- and believe every one of them to be "authentic" ;)

Last edited:
The parador de los Reyes Católicos in Santiago was a very nice reward at the end...

Yes parador de los Reyes Católicos would be a great reward - but bewear it is the one Parador that does not give room discounts to pilgrims. It does still do the "cheap lunches" for pilgrims - not sure if its limited to 5 or 10 pilgrims each day - but you now eat in the staff dining room, not the up market dining room. I am considering it my reward when I complete my next Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I don’t think you could do better than the Hotel Real Monasterio San Zoilo, on the leaving side of Carrion de Los Condes. I’d walked past several times before I finally stayed last October, and it was wonderful. There’s a museum and full cloister, park-like grounds, beautiful rooms and an amazing restaurant for dinner: I had an entree of roasted vegetables! From memory, a single room was no more than 50€ or so, and every cent was worth it. Also, it’s well located for an early start, right on the far side of town.

I don’t think you could do better than the Hotel Real Monasterio San Zoilo, on the leaving side of Carrion de Los Condes. I’d walked past several times before I finally stayed last October, and it was wonderful. There’s a museum and full cloister, park-like grounds, beautiful rooms and an amazing restaurant for dinner: I had an entree of roasted vegetables! From memory, a single room was no more than 50€ or so, and every cent was worth it. Also, it’s well located for an early start, right on the far side of town.
0D8251CD-C2B5-40A0-B6BF-E5792AC2B172.jpeg0D8251CD-C2B5-40A0-B6BF-E5792AC2B172.jpeg846E2DA5-1A43-4378-A402-D85BE5279895.jpeg5137ACD6-D607-4913-BF0E-3CE75F1A5910.jpegC151A5FC-1DEA-4FD3-BDE3-FB4CED9E428C.jpegEA2C9335-C2CF-47CA-91C7-B552F185F7CE.jpeg

Yes, that would be my #1 Pick. https://sanzoilo.com/
It has it's own church and cloisters! And food is great, though not cheap.

A second would be the Parador in Santo Domingo. (The one near the Church with Chickens. There are 2) The dinner is really good. https://www.parador.es/en/paradores/parador-de-santo-domingo-de-la-calzada

Another would be Hotel San Antón Abad. *** Lovely old building just next to the Church.
All these are good choices. In Burgos, for our rest day, we stayed at Hotel Mesón del Cid*** across from the Cathedral. We paid a few more euros (not many) to get a room with a nice view.53355

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We had a funny situation at that Hotel.......... We had booked for 2 nights.
Looked great, ideal location........

It was quite warm weather at the time. high 20s.
We booked this Hotel because of its location and..........
because it has 'air conditioning'.

After we checked in and were in the room, I couldn't get the air conditioning to work.

So I went down to reception.

The conversation that transpired was like a Monty Python sketch!

I can't get the air conditioning to work.
(R) No Sir, the Hotel is still on the winter heating cycle

So I can't control the air conditioning in my room, to get cold air?
(R) Right now as we are not in summer yet, the central system is on heating only.

But on booking.com your hotel description states you have air conditioning.
(R) Yes Sir, we do.

So can I turn on the Air Conditioning please?
(R) No Sir, not until Summer............

I recall we had paid quite a bit for the room, so I asked to cancel the reservation and we would stay somewhere else............

I found another nice Hotel just on the other side of the river.

But this time I thought I'll make 100% sure.
I rang central reservations in Madrid.

Does the Hotel have air conditioning?
(R) Yes Sir
It is operating?
(R) Yes Sir.
On cool?
(R) Yes Sir.

We'll take it :)

Travelling with a Princess is hard sometimes :oops:

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you're blue, and and you don't know where to go,
Why don't you go
where fashion sits...?
Putting on the ...

Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks and um-ber-ellers
in their mitts!
Putting on the...

Mindful of the very real possibility (Health concerns! Prayers, please!) that my Sept 2019 Logrono-Leon walk could be my last, I think I'll try putting on the Ritz!

I'll treat myself to (1) a night at the San Zoilo, in Carrion -- it pushes all my buttons! -- and (2) a last-night-on-last-walk? at Hospedaria Monastica Pax, in Leon. Reading my Evening Office with a quiet vino tinto on the Plaza del Grano? Hard to beat that for a sooper dooper finale!

Pax. Fr. Jeffrey

Last edited:
Good suggestion! Must look into that.... And its not so far out of town that one could not walk back to the Plaza Generalissimo for dinner. Fond memories of the Restaurante La Corte!

I recommend the restaurant at the San Zoilo-- I had a wondrous menu de dia with trout and home-made gelato, and also met the legendary Nancy Frey with a troupe of folk she was guiding about. My only reservation about the San Zoilo is if your neighbours are.... amorous and vocal.... in which case you may need to go for a walk to say your offices. The folks at the pilgrims' office are very friendly, and the guided tours excellent-- when I was there the guide was so clear in her Castellano that I think I understood every word.

For Logrono, I recommend the Marques de Vallejo, with lovely bathtubs, and a very quiet library bar. It is just around the corner from calle San Juan with the five million tapas joints (but fairly soundproof) and within crawling distance to the Cathedral, useful for the exhausted pilgrim conscious of the need to fulfill the spiritual privileges of the Camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It does look amazing. I'm a fan of Frank Gehry so would definitely go and look - but sadly, at the prices posted couldn't afford even one night!

Mindful of the very real possibility (Health concerns! Prayers, please!) that my Sept 2019 Logrono-Leon walk could be my last
May it not be so. Prayers happening.
If it is, may you go out in style and may the letting go be easeful.
And even if it isn't you can still put n the Ritz...
Buen camino, Fr. Jeffrey.
🙏

It does look amazing. I'm a fan of Frank Gehry so would definitely go and look - but sadly, at the prices posted couldn't afford even one night!

Bad news is that unless you're actually staying at the hotel it's not easy to get much of a look at the building, or at least if it is I didn't find out how.

€83,-
google on booking .com or

recommend looking at booking. com or trip advisor which have some great selections. also recommendations from other pilgrims works well

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.