• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just musing - what have I done ???!!!

Myrna Kaye

Time of past OR future Camino
I would like to do the Camino in the spring of 2015
I knew after my incredible El Camino Portuguese last spring that ‘one was not enough’. I didn’t realize, though, when the first idea struck, that there was more to training than just cardio. Aqua fit and deep water running just wasn’t enough. I carried very little as we stayed in Air BnB’s, but sciatica developed the first day and continued for the 12 days of walking, then on the third last day my foot pain was diagnosed as plantar fasciitis. But, with the help of my husband, I walked triumphally across the cathedral square. Were there tiny angels with trumpets flying above me and a beam of light shining down or was it my imagination?

So, ten months later, I began training for my next Camino - date not decided - but I wanted to be ready this time.

The pool again but not 5 days a week, instead to be interspersed with hiking. So in those first two weeks, five walks/hikes at around 10 kms each, seemed like a good idea and added to that, line dancing (beginners).

Well, the chiro (yes, it got that bad), said I have overdone it and must give my old bod a rest for awhile. The Camino training will have to go at a slower pace - and maybe it will be next spring- but I will then be 77!!!!!

MK

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
77 is a wonderful age! Have just passed it!

Do your training on the Camino, taking it slowly listening to your body, and increasing the length of your stages gradually - IF you feel like it!

Buen camino when you do get round to walking it!

My two cents worth of advice are to train your mind / brain. If your head is fully committed, the rest of you will follow.

Other than that, take care of any lingering health issues that might impinge on your Camino. I usually arrange all my annual or semi-annual doctor, and laboratory visits for the several months leading up to my planned Camino. I liken it to preparing a car for a long road trip. I so dislike surprises.

As for actually physical conditioning, I usually just start taking long walks maybe two months ahead to get my legs used to the walking. I try to build up to 10 km at a go. I also start to include my 38 liter rucksack loaded with a 7 kg (15 lb) bag of kitty litter to get my back used to carrying the pack again.

As my departure date approaches, maybe a week away, I load my rucksack with my actual, planned items for the Camino. After six Caminos, I STILL carry far too much.

It is funny, this year, before leaving home for Spain, my pack weighed 12 kg less water. When I walked into Santiago from my Camino, my first stop was the Pilgrim House (Rua Nova #19). They had a luggage scale and weighed my rucksack fresh off the Camino. It STILL weighed 11 kg! That is when I resolved to get ruthless the next time.

So, on returning home, after this year's Camino, I sorted stuff as I unpacked it, into piles of what I did not use, mailed down the road to Santiago, and that which I was stupid to have bright. What was left was what I SHOULD have packed in the first place. As I have often observed, I am very much a work in progress...

But, I live in Florida, so it is very plano (flat). So, this exercise is primarily to identify and sort emerging pains and other walking related problems. The best time to deal with hot spots on your feet or joint aches and pains is when you are home, before you leave.

The reason I do not sweat intense physical conditioning, is that on any Camino, the first week of walking is generally like a shakedown cruise for a new ship. This is where you become acclimated to being on Camino.

The difficulty with this is that if you are walking a short week - to 10 day Camino, by the time all of your body has "gotten the memo" that you are on Camino and in a new physical regime, you are done. This first week as conditioning-on-the-job paradigm works better for a long (several weeks or more) Camino.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I say all the time: don't walk or train a camino before your camino.

I noticed as a pilgrim and hospitalera the over 70 crowd seemed to have the fewest injuries because they knew how to pace themselves; join your peers.

Buen camino.

Wow - sooooo many Caminos - I'm impressed.
I will definitely go back but with a different mindset
MK

77 is a wonderful age! Have just passed it!

Do your training on the Camino, taking it slowly listening to your body, and increasing the length of your stages gradually - IF you feel like it!

Buen camino when you do get round to walking it!

Checking back, my first day was 17kms. Our host that night saw my distress and gave me a shell he had picked up on the beach - drilled a hole through it and strung a cord. You can imagine the tears it brought. I am so new to posting stuff - if I can figure how to attach a picture of this marvellous shell, I will try.
MK

My two cents are to train your mind / brain. If your head is fully committed, the rest of you will follow.

Other than that, take care of any lingering health issues hat might impinge on your Camino. I usually arrange all my annual or semi-annual doctor, and laboratory visits for he several months leading up to my planned Camino. I liken it to preparing a car for a long road trip. I so dislike surprises.

As for actually physical conditioning, I usually just start taking long walks maybe two months ahead to get my legs used to the walking. I try to build up to 10 km at a go. I also start to include my 38 liter rucksack loaded with a 7 kg (15 lb) bag of kitty litter to get my back used to carrying the pack again.

As my departure date approaches, maybe a week away, I load my rucksack with my actual, planned items for the Camino. After six Caminos, I STILL carry far too much.

It is funny, this year, before leaving home for Spain, my pack weighed 12 kg less water. When I walked into Santiago from my Camino, my first stop was the Pilgrim House (Rua Nova #19). They had a luggage scale and weighed my rucksack fresh off the Camino. It STILL weighed 11 kg! That is when I resolved to get ruthless the next time.

So, on returning home, after this year's Camino, I sorted stuff as I unpacked it, into piles of what I did not use, mailed down the road to Santiago, and that which I was stupid to have bright. What was left was what I SHOULD have packed in the first place. As I have often observed, I am very much a work in progress...

But, I live in Florida, so it is very plano (flat). So, this exercise is primarily to identify and sort emerging pains and other walking related problems. The best time to deal with hot spots on your feet or joint aches and pains is when you are home, before you leave.

The reason I do not sweat intense physical conditioning, is that on any Camino, the first week of walking is generally like a shakedown cruise for a new ship. This is where you become acclimated to being on Camino.

The difficulty with this is that if you are walking a short week - to 10 day Camino, by the time all of your body has "gotten the memo" that you are on Camino and in a new physical regime, you are done. This first week as conditioning-on-the-job paradigm works better for a long (several weeks or more) Camino.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your wonderful reply. When I thought that I may never do another Camino,
the Ivar people, like you, make me realize that I just may be able to do it again.
MK

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.