• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just published - Sauntering to Santiago

DSouthard

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Catalan, (May-July 2012), Via Francigena (Barcelona to Rome - 2015), Via Francigena (Rome to Canterbury - 2016)
I've just published a memoir of my experience on the Camino de Santiago, walking from Montserrat to Finisterre, and then attempting a new life in Granada. It's titled Sauntering to Santiago. You'll have to read the first couple of chapters to see where I got that title, but that much is available for free at Smashwords.com. It's not a travelogue - there are no, or at least, very few helpful hints for the pilgrim. Rather, it's a collection of feelings and experiences during what turned out to be the best 50 days of my life on The Camino and then for several weeks more, trying to make it as an ex-pat in my newly adopted home-land of Spain.

The e-book is available in all formats at Smashwords.com, and will be available by the end of September at all e-book distributors, including Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Sony. https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/353142

I hope you enjoy it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the info.
I´ll look out for it at the end of the month.
Btw, where are you located in Spain if I may ask?

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the info.
I´ll look out for it at the end of the month.
Btw, where are you located in Spain if I may ask?

Buen Camino!
After the Camino I went to Granada. My failed attempt to live and work there is chronicled at the end of the book. I'll be back though. Just had to come back to the States temporarily to save some cash so I can go back sustain myself while I build up a tutoring and writing business. There were more than a few times while I was in Granada, when I would walk past the church where one begins the Camino from that city, that I wanted to put my pack back on and start walking again.

Congratulations! What I've read so far looks really interesting. I'm anxious to read more. I'm interested in turning my blog into a book. Any thoughts?
Kathy

Yes, congratulations! We love to walk and we love to tell our stories about our walk and read other's stories too! I do look forward to reading your story.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@DSouthard

Great to hear that. And also for the fact that you've moved to Granada. I was reading your blog regularly and enjoyed it very much. I guess the book is even better. Congrats!

B.

Congratulations! What I've read so far looks really interesting. I'm anxious to read more. I'm interested in turning my blog into a book. Any thoughts?
Kathy
I'm such a newbie at writing I'm not sure I'd be able to offer any valuable advice. I had very little to go on except my memories, what little I wrote in a journal along the way, and some pictures. Much of what I was able to remember, I couldn't put into words. Everyone who writes has a different method. Mine was just to go through my journal and photos and write what I remembered, mostly at Starbucks on weekend mornings, trying to write what was important and protect the privacy of my fellow traveling companions at the same time - a delicate balancing act at times.

I would suggest, if you want to create a book from your blog, decide where you want to publish it and get their style guide as soon as possible so you can format the document to their specifications along the way. It will save a lot of time; you won't have to go back over the completed manuscript and reformat the whole thing. I used Smashwords because I'd read about them in a book on self-publishing. The process was pretty easy overall with them. There are lots of other choices though.

Thank you for taking the time to write your blog and post so many pictures - they bring back very good memories. I'll be reading it.

DeMar

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@DSouthard

Great to hear that. And also for the fact that you've moved to Granada. I was reading your blog regularly and enjoyed it very much. I guess the book is even better. Congrats!

B.
Thank you for the kind words. I hope the book is better. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I had to return to the States and the old job to refill my bank account, but I'll return to Spain in Spring of 2015, or sooner if I get financially lucky. The next pilgrimage is to Rome from Barcelona. I can't wait. After that I'll return to Granada, able to live for a year without income if need be, and try to build up an English tutoring business.

Thanks again,
DeMar

Yes, congratulations! We love to walk and we love to tell our stories about our walk and read other's stories too! I do look forward to reading your story.
Thank you. I'm in the middle of Jane Blanchard's book now. It brings back so many memories. (Women of the Way: Embracing the Camino)

DeMar

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm such a newbie at writing I'm not sure I'd be able to offer any valuable advice. I had very little to go on except my memories, what little I wrote in a journal along the way, and some pictures. Much of what I was able to remember, I couldn't put into words. Everyone who writes has a different method. Mine was just to go through my journal and photos and write what I remembered, mostly at Starbucks on weekend mornings, trying to write what was important and protect the privacy of my fellow traveling companions at the same time - a delicate balancing act at times.

I would suggest, if you want to create a book from your blog, decide where you want to publish it and get their style guide as soon as possible so you can format the document to their specifications along the way. It will save a lot of time; you won't have to go back over the completed manuscript and reformat the whole thing. I used Smashwords because I'd read about them in a book on self-publishing. The process was pretty easy overall with them. There are lots of other choices though.

Thank you for taking the time to write your blog and post so many pictures - they bring back very good memories. I'll be reading it.

DeMar
DeMar, Thanks for the great advice. I have to wait until the first of the month to buy your book, but it is in my cart. I think your resources and mine are similar, but I can't get to Starbucks very often to write!! I have heard good things about Smashwords and I like the way your book looks. Again, congratulations and I can't wait to read it and review it.
Kathy

Congratulations on your book and for completing the Camino adventure. I would love to post your book on my Camino Books Pinterest Board. Can you send me a photo of the cover? (There is a problem with the one on Smashwords.)

Love the Pinterest board k-fun!
Good to have Camino books all in one place to peruse. I have read so many over the years that I have had to dedicate them a shelf of their own...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Congratulations on your book and for completing the Camino adventure. I would love to post your book on my Camino Books Pinterest Board. Can you send me a photo of the cover? (There is a problem with the one on Smashwords.)

Can I? I'd love to! And thank you very much. I don't know if it will work to just post it in this reply. I'll give it a try. If that doesn't do it, send a note to me at drs.bus@hushmail.com. (And after I inserted the image it took up more than the whole screen. Hope I didn't mess up something.)
CaminoCover.jpg CaminoCover.jpg I'll gladly respond with a jpg image.

Love the Pinterest board k-fun!
Good to have Camino books all in one place to peruse. I have read so many over the years that I have had to dedicate them a shelf of their own...
I agree. I didn't know this site existed. Just what I need - more books in my wish list. :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How big is it?
The PDF is 3,428 Kb. That includes a jpg picture for the front cover, but it's only JPG, so it doesn't add too much to the size. What is the maximum?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have just upped the limit to 3500kb, so try again now.
I just tried to upload it again with the same error message. I've checked the file size and I'm sure it's less that 3500Kb. I'll try again in a couple of days. Could it be that it takes a while for the change in max file size to take effect?

I just tried to upload it again with the same error message. I've checked the file size and I'm sure it's less that 3500Kb. I'll try again in a couple of days. Could it be that it takes a while for the change in max file size to take effect?
Hmm.. no it should take effect right away... if you would like, you could e-mail it to me (ivar.rekve at gmail.com) and I could manually put it up and send you the url.

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...
This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back