• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just returned from camino, sooner than expected

AnnieBobanny

Hello everyone,
I needed to stop my camino for now, so I'm back in London. What a let down being in the city. lol
I made it to Logrono. I feel on top of the world about that, because I honestly never expected to make it to Roncasvalles. lol. I met some amazing people, saw some stunning vistas, and discovered I am stronger than I realised. If I can make it over the Pyrenees (by myself no less), then I can do anything :)

I was only gone 2 weeks, but being on the camino changed me, and I fully expect to get hit with some blues about being home and away from the camino.

Some random thoughts now that I've been on the camino: Take twice as much money as you expect it to cost, allow at least 50% more time to walk than you expect it to take, don't bother with more than 2 sets of clothes, get a water bag with a drinking tube, take compeeds, LISTEN TO WHAT EVERYONE SAYS ABOUT KEEPING YOUR PACK LIGHT! Unless it's absolutely essential, DON'T take it. I thought I had my rucksack pared down to the basics. Ha! I ended up stripping things out of my bag 3 times (for example a bottle of bug spray which I never needed one time), and in the end posted my (expensive) sleeping mat (never used), pillow (bag of clothes can work as a pillow), flashlight, and extra waterproof bag home.

I could probably chatter on for days about the camino, but I'll leave it there for now. Thanks to everyone who offered me support and friendly words before and during my trip.

Love and peace to everyone,
Annie

P.S. The cheesy cliche is true: The camino really DOES give you what you need.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Congrats Annie! making it to Logrono is indeed no small feat and you should be very, very proud of that. Take in the Lessons Learned (thanks for sharing!) and next time....ALL THE WAY TO SANTIAGO!!

Be ready for the Camino Blues; I came back in early June and there is not a day that goes by that I don't miss the Camino terribly :cry: !

You are a seasoned veteran now :D so on to planning your next installment!!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks, Olivares. Yes, already thinking ahead to the next stretch of my journey. I think the camino is something I will do many times, if possible! It sort of gets in your blood :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, congratulations! And excellent advice. I think you've walked one of the most beautiful parts of the Frances in many ways. The day I left Pamplona walking towards Alto de Perdon will stay with me forever, with the wind moving through the crops and the shadow from the clouds moving across the hill. You just can't photograph that. Also most people start where you did so it's a great place to meet new friends and learn about the initial triumphs and disasters together!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back