• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just returned - Pamplona to Logrono

dramig

Time of past OR future Camino
First Timer
Hola peregrinos,

Thank you all for the incredible input on making our short 5 day camino a wonderful success. I will be back for a longer camino ASAP. A few items I wanted to report back on.

Side note: The weather was sunny with no rain and I realize how lucky we were.

What I would have done differently - other than finding more time for a longer camino.

1. Alto del perdon: walking poles would have been largely beneficial on the descent. Not a hard descent, just very loose rock with sore and worn out legs. My knees and ankles were scared!
2. Lighter pack - I was at 13 lbs. I did get rid of a fleece, pillow cover, lotion, pack cover and a back up charger half way through. There were some very seasoned peregrinos with packs less than 10 lbs and they were cruising.
3. Trained more for the rolling hills. I did not expect the terrain to have some moderate acscents. Again, these are not large or extreme, it just seemed to take a lot more out on me than expected.
4. Glad I brought just a poncho thus saving weight on full rain gear. Weight, weight and weight is enormous on the pain.
5. Glad I had some Spanish knowledge - It made it easier to find good restaurants and rent apartments on the occasion. Talking with the locals proved very helpful.
6. Amazed by the Spaniards friendliness and respect for peregrinos.
7. Be sure to get to town early and get a town map. The maps were very useful.
8. The trail is marked incredibly well. I rarley used my guide map.
9. The distances marked in the Bierly guidebook are less than what they actually are. We found them to be 10-25% longer in reality.
10. We stayed off of the Beirly guide stages and found it wonderful at this time of year to be in different villages than most.
11. Walking at the end of March was fantastic and I would imagine the next 2 weeks will be even better - flowers and trees are blooming and the green wheat fields are swaying in the wind and dancing.
12. We did have to continue on further than expected as there were instances when there were little to no services available. Reportd from local did note that the Albugue's were opening the first week of April.
13. We ran into about 4-8 peregrinos every day and the accomodation always had room.

I am already missing the weight of my pack, cafe con leches, bread, Estrella cervezas and hearing Buen Camino on a daily basis.

Again thank you all. I will check in regularly to hear of the stories when I need my fix!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola peregrinos,

Thank you all for the incredible input on making our short 5 day camino a wonderful success. I will be back for a longer camino ASAP. A few items I wanted to report back on.

Side note: The weather was sunny with no rain and I realize how lucky we were.

What I would have done differently - other than finding more time for a longer camino.

1. Alto del perdon: walking poles would have been largely beneficial on the descent. Not a hard descent, just very loose rock with sore and worn out legs. My knees and ankles were scared!
2. Lighter pack - I was at 13 lbs. I did get rid of a fleece, pillow cover, lotion, pack cover and a back up charger half way through. There were some very seasoned peregrinos with packs less than 10 lbs and they were cruising.
3. Trained more for the rolling hills. I did not expect the terrain to have some moderate acscents. Again, these are not large or extreme, it just seemed to take a lot more out on me than expected.
4. Glad I brought just a poncho thus saving weight on full rain gear. Weight, weight and weight is enormous on the pain.
5. Glad I had some Spanish knowledge - It made it easier to find good restaurants and rent apartments on the occasion. Talking with the locals proved very helpful.
6. Amazed by the Spaniards friendliness and respect for peregrinos.
7. Be sure to get to town early and get a town map. The maps were very useful.
8. The trail is marked incredibly well. I rarley used my guide map.
9. The distances marked in the Bierly guidebook are less than what they actually are. We found them to be 10-25% longer in reality.
10. We stayed off of the Beirly guide stages and found it wonderful at this time of year to be in different villages than most.
11. Walking at the end of March was fantastic and I would imagine the next 2 weeks will be even better - flowers and trees are blooming and the green wheat fields are swaying in the wind and dancing.
12. We did have to continue on further than expected as there were instances when there were little to no services available. Reportd from local did note that the Albugue's were opening the first week of April.
13. We ran into about 4-8 peregrinos every day and the accomodation always had room.

I am already missing the weight of my pack, cafe con leches, bread, Estrella cervezas and hearing Buen Camino on a daily basis.

Again thank you all. I will check in regularly to hear of the stories when I need my fix!
Sleeping bag saved us 3 different times. Be sure to have a lightweight bag at 45 F or better.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for reporting out - nice to hear it wasn't too crowded and you enjoyed your first Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank for the informative post Dramig, I only just made a decision to do this exact route in a couple of weeks starting around after Easter weekend so this is really timely for me! My concern is travelling alone as a female, you didn't seem to come across many other peregrinos - would you consider it to be safe for a female solo traveler?
I'm also trying to avoid any routes where I might get an injury which is why this appeals.

Am thinking of flying direct to Pamplona to start and returning from Madrid. Any further tips greatly appreciated!

Thank for the informative post Dramig, I only just made a decision to do this exact route in a couple of weeks starting around after Easter weekend so this is really timely for me! My concern is travelling alone as a female, you didn't seem to come across many other peregrinos - would you consider it to be safe for a female solo traveler?
I'm also trying to avoid any routes where I might get an injury which is why this appeals.

Am thinking of flying direct to Pamplona to start and returning from Madrid. Any further tips greatly appreciated!

1. Pamplona - Logrono: Just doesn't get better than this for newbies. Enjoy!
2. Safe for solo females? - Absolutely.
3. Friendly Suggestion? Consider hotels rather than albergues....

1. Pamplona - Logrono: Just doesn't get better than this for newbies. Enjoy!
2. Safe for solo females? - Absolutely.
3. Friendly Suggestion? Consider hotels rather than albergues....

Excellent choice for route, I agree. There were three solo female peregrionos that we met on the camino - from America, Germany and Japan. I would say it is very safe! My two sisters ventured out in the cities, night and day with out a single concern. Consider flying out of Bilbao in place of Madrid. It is closer to Logrono and an excellent place to visit. There are trains that run out of Logrono on a regular basis. As far as injuries...take your time, don't rush, use walking poles and pay attention to your body and its limitations. Enjoy!

Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

We walked this route in 2016 and I wrote a blog about it, in case you want to take a look it’s here https://grantandgillcamino.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back