• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Just saw this. Don't count on Easter Camino.

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Since almost the start of this, Spain has been implementing regional lockdowns in particular holiday periods -- I wouldn't read too much into it, as these are exceptional measures not indicating general policy.

The core information remains the detail of measures undertaken in each region, and the national travel restrictions into the country.

I agree, but I've seen people on other websites talking about going for Easter.
If someone started in France about a week's hike away from the border, might be possible -- provided getting to France were feasible, and provided that the minimum degree of financial commitment weren't too onerous.

i.e. you'd basically need to already be in Europe at that time.

Just FYI, I don't have for sure my next Camino (scheduled on february 2022)...so I'm sure Easter is not a good idea. I'm sorry if I rain on your parade...but I'm living in Spain, and that is my feeling. I would hope to be wrong, but...

K.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In Portugal, the president is talking about keeping restrictions through Easter specifically because it's Easter. Restrictions were eased at Christmas and it became a superspreader holiday, leading to Portugal having the highest rate of infection per capita in the world for a couple of weeks in January. To avoid that happening again, I expect opening up to begin in Portugal once Easter has passed and I could see how the Spanish regions and/or central government might be thinking along similar lines.

As for the camino, I was always hoping for post-Easter in Spain (Mozárabe/VdlP) or as a backup in Portugal (Caminho do Este). Maybe the backup plan is now the best I can hope for.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Given that I'm planning on walking across all of the internal EU international borders, I'm hoping to be able to get going again in April, or May at the latest.

Easter is too early, unless you start in France some distance from the Pyrenees, as there is likely to be a hard lockdown in Easter week.

Reports in Australian media over past 24 hrs that Covid cases across Central and Eastern Europe primarily have increased by 9%. No international departure's from Australia before July presently, but may well stretch out to much later in the year. Appears that any 'open skies' travel is unlikely for most of this year.

Easter seems pretty un-doable, at least from outside Europe. I'm hopeful that people are able to access places to walk and contemplate, much closer to home (where ever that may be....).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I expect opening up to begin in Portugal once Easter has passed

News on this front today from the BBC:
Covid-19: Cyprus and Portugal want to welcome vaccinated UK tourists from May

Rita Marques, Portugal's secretary of state for tourism, told the BBC: "I do believe that Portugal will soon allow restriction-free travel, not only for vaccinated people, but those who are immune or who test negative. We hope to welcome British tourists from 17 May."

She added that the situation in Portugal was "stable" and said, "Everything will be ready by mid May."

Regional lockdowns everywhere in Spain 'til April 6th. So ,no Easter Caminos sadly 😷

"Watch and Wait", pilgrim's, "Watch and Wait". Good news re Portugal (and Cyprus) but again reality bites. From a UK angle - I hope to get my jab later this month. I then have to wait 12 weeks for the second one. Then a further week or two to get a digital certificate to prove same - that's the certificate plan that is still being worked out. So where does that leave me - June maybe. I will be "protected", good for me, but I could still carry the virus to those countries where inoculation's have been on the "back foot" as opposed to the top of the arm ie. most of Europe. So unless it becomes legal to travel outside UK for leisure anytime soon- doubtful, unless other countries achieve a similar vaccination rate I could be both on wrong side of law as well as putting everyone I meet at risk.
I have plans for November this year which I reckon are 50/50 at the moment. I am good to go - camino plans worked out, kit sorted - the second restrictions are lifted and I have a certificate and the countries I intend travelling to are happy to accept me I am away. But realistically travel this side of June for me is nothing more than wishful thinking. 2021 I am sure will be the year we emerge from all this but it will be like walking a camino. One sure, thoughtful, considerate step at a time.
Don

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good news re Portugal
Although it is on the UK's Red List. So apart from currently not allowing any holiday type travel if you have travelled through Portugal, non-UK residents will be refused entry to the UK however UK residents must quarantine in a Government hotel for 10 days at their own expense. Whilst there remains concern about the Brazilian variant I can't see this changing anytime soon.

I meant it was good news for the fact that they want to open their doors to us. Accepted that nothing is going to happen anytime soon. I have now been able to book my covid jabs - 1st scheduled end of March, 2nd early June so as I suspected people of my age group 55+ will not be certificated until mid June at earliest irrespective of whatever happens in Europe. The only sure thing here is that nothing is going to "change anytime soon"

"Watch and Wait", pilgrim's, "Watch and Wait". Good news re Portugal (and Cyprus) but again reality bites. From a UK angle - I hope to get my jab later this month. I then have to wait 12 weeks for the second one. Then a further week or two to get a digital certificate to prove same - that's the certificate plan that is still being worked out. So where does that leave me - June maybe. I will be "protected", good for me, but I could still carry the virus to those countries where inoculation's have been on the "back foot" as opposed to the top of the arm ie. most of Europe. So unless it becomes legal to travel outside UK for leisure anytime soon- doubtful, unless other countries achieve a similar vaccination rate I could be both on wrong side of law as well as putting everyone I meet at risk.
I have plans for November this year which I reckon are 50/50 at the moment. I am good to go - camino plans worked out, kit sorted - the second restrictions are lifted and I have a certificate and the countries I intend travelling to are happy to accept me I am away. But realistically travel this side of June for me is nothing more than wishful thinking. 2021 I am sure will be the year we emerge from all this but it will be like walking a camino. One sure, thoughtful, considerate step at a time.
Don
About the most realistic assessment I've read so far. 😊

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.