• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just saying hi

Flory

Time of past OR future Camino
New
Hello following this forum for a while now.
Leaving on sunday with my best friend for my very first camino from porto to santiago. Like to follow the coast as much as possible.
My question:
Are there long stretches were you can't find water and or food so that you have to bring extra. I carry 1 liter but like to drink when it is hot.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, welcome to the forum! It depends how you define “long” stretches – 5kms, 10kms, 20kms . . . If you are not carrying a guidebook, so you are not aware of the places ahead of you, and only following the yellow arrows, and you are a person who drinks a lot of water, then carry at least one litre, and preferably two, as there may be a few stretches where water is limited. I have frequently come upon a café that is mentioned in the guidebook, only to find it is closed, for whatever reason. Bom caminho!
Jill

Hi and welcome to the forum @Flory
I start the Camino Portugues tomorrow, also from Porto but following the central way, but perhaps we "run" into each other? Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bom caminho! I, too, drink a lot of water while walking, and the only place I ran short was along the variante espiritual, which I highly recommend. I actually went to a house just off the camino and the lady didn't refill my bottle as I asked; she gave me a 1.5 liter bottle!! Someone later told me I'd missed a fuente in the park at the end of the camino de agua y piedras, but the V.S. isn't quite as developed as the other ways of hiking the CP, so if you choose that, you might want extra water for those days.

We are on the coastal at the moment, heading to Caminha today. There are lots of beach cafe on the first days as far as Esposende, from there to Viana do Castelo the route turn inland and not as many. There is a supermarket and cafe in Belino and then nothing until Chafe, marked on Brierly map. Hope this helps Bom Caminha

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did the coastal senda Litoral in June from porto via Vila do Conde, esposende, viana, caminha, oia, baiona etc. As indicated above its not all coast walking especially esposende to viana ...although it's still a great stretch. June was very hot and on the first major stretch (they average around 22kms) to esposende i didnt buy enough water and got into a little dehydrated. So i got into the habit of making sure i always started with a litre and some (to be hot) days at least a litre and a half. I also found distances on paper a bit deceptive as its not 'crow flies' ..you stop...you can get a bit off track at times. So for me I worked on the basis of averaging about 3kms an hour...meaning at least 6 hrs walking each day. I did not always have formal breakfast (leaving to early) and I found cafes and shops did not always appear when I needed them...so I always took some food...fruit, ie bananas and cherries, biscuits, cake, sometimes nuts as well. I found I really needed to take breaks and eat some of these as I went to keep me going. If I was leaving very early (which became more necessary as I was walking in a heatwave and trying to get as far as possible before early afternoon when it was seriously hot that walking was very hard) I would buy the food the night before. Just to say it's the Atlantic coast and can be very windy on the Portuguese coast especially.
Bom Caminho!

Attachments

• WP_20170611_023.jpg
    WP_20170611_023.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back