• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just stamp - no compostela

Flem

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 - 2019 several caminos (7 differents)
Hi all

All pilgrimages end in Santiago de compostela and we all went to the pilgrimsoffice to get our compostela.

I did the same at my first pilgrimage; but now I just want a stamp in my cridential at the arrival to SdC.

But I have to stay in line togheter with the pilgrims that want they compostela.

So my question is: Is it possible to only get an official SdC stamp somewhere at the pilgrimsoffice without standing in line for long time??

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Probably in the cathedral itself, or in any bar of your choice, as if you were going to Fisterra?

So my question is: Is it possible to only get an official SdC stamp somewhere at the pilgrimsoffice without standing in line for long time??
Yes, ask the volunteers who are helping with the queue. When I helped in the Pilgrim Office there was always a volunteer able to stamp 'credenciales' and sell new ones.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks Sulu
I' ll remember next time I'll get there.

Probably in the cathedral itself, or in any bar of your choice, as if you were going to Fisterra?
The official stamp at the cathedral if you can get into the sacresti or the pilgrims office. NO other establishment has the official stamp.

Hi Ingrid, what do you mean by "official" in this case? Only the cathedral is a valid place for stamping in Santiago? No albergues, or other places?
The official stamp at the cathedral if you can get into the sacresti or the pilgrims office. NO other establishment has the official stamp.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think what Ingrid meant was that only Cathedral authorities (PO) can issue official documents (and sello) because they are taking care of the tomb of St.James.
Although there are many bars and shops much closer to the tomb than Pilgrims Office is :p;)

Same as the OP I went for my Compostela only the first time I arrived in SdC but because I always continue to the ocean the sello from the albergue where I sleep in SdC is enough for me. And for authorities in Fisterra/Muxia for their certificates.

Last edited:
Coming through Santiago on my way to the coast, I did not want a Compostela, jist the stamp. I explained this to the security gard, he allowed me to sneak in to speak to a person at the counter who simply could not understand why I would not want a Compostela.

She ended up asking her super, and wasting more time in the process.

It had not occured to me at the time that any hotel, or even the post office would do.

I wonder what the Parador's stamp is like, if they have one. :rolleyes:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Ingrid, what do you mean by "official" in this case? Only the cathedral is a valid place for stamping in Santiago? No albergues, or other places?
OK. There is a special stamp ( at the pilgrim's office they call it your final sello) on the credential. It is put in the front and at the end of your credential, as your Camino has ended. With that you are issued yor compostela. You also will receive this stamp if you have not finished the last 100kms (no compostela ) or simply want the sello.
Many pilgrims bring extra credentials on behalf of ill or dead friends...they will receive the stamp, (no compostela)
Regarding walking on someone's behalf is a different conversation.

@Flem - You've sparked off an idea - I would see if I could get the official stamp and then for the day or two that I am in Santiago , fill my credential up with every restaurant , museum , bar , hostal or hotel - that way I would have all those memories on paper - only a crazy idea? ......... suppose the last thing one wants to do is loose that credential in a bar after one too many? ..........maybe only the sober happenings? o_O:D

It was in fact me who used the word "official" and by that I meant the one we usely get at the Pilgrimsoffice on our cridential. I used it because I don't have another word for ig.

Still I like to know if I can get my cridential stamped witout standing in line for a long time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It was in fact me who used the word "official" and by that I meant the one we usely get at the Pilgrimsoffice on our cridential. I used it because I don't have another word for ig.

Still I like to know if I can get my cridential stamped witout standing in line for a long time.

Flem - all you can do is go to the door and ask the security guards.

Thanks JohnnieWalker
I'll fi tgat when I get there.

Hi!
I too got the compostela at the end of my first camino but I didn't bother queueing for it on my subsequent caminos - I'm quite happy with my stamped credentials and regard them as a more personal keepsake (I think I have 7 of them now!) But I did decide at the end of the Primitivo this year, to go to the pilgrims office and ask if it was possible to avoid the long queue and just get the stamp. The volunteer showed me to a different desk where they stamped and signed the front and back of the credential for me. He did emphasize that I couldn't produce it later to get a compostela and he seemed surprised that I was quite ok with that!
So yes, you can ask for just the stamp at the pilgrims office....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Flem - You've sparked off an idea - I would see if I could get the official stamp and then for the day or two that I am in Santiago , fill my credential up with every restaurant , museum , bar , hostal or hotel - that way I would have all those memories on paper - only a crazy idea? ......... suppose the last thing one wants to do is loose that credential in a bar after one too many? ..........maybe only the sober happenings? o_O:D
Not only the idea is a bit crazy, you are THE one @RENSHAW :D :D :D

And I would gladly keep you company ;)

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back