• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just want to share my joy

Sven Kaven

writer, photographer and mindfulness teacher
Time of past OR future Camino
Dear lovely poeple,

I dont have a question nor do I follow a particular agenda. I just want to share with you my joy about the upcoming walk on the camino portugues. After I walked the winter camino on the way of st james to santiago 2019 / 2020 and the corona pandemie got started shortly after that, I thought that this might have been the last camino this year. Now, I feel so gifted to be able to get on to the way again, starting from Porto and hopefully walking all the way to Finisterre. Perhaps I meet some of you on the way. Buen Camino Pilgrims.

Sven :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My wife and I did that walk Sven, last September, Porto to Santiago. It’s quite a different hike to the Frances. We enjoyed it a lot and accommodation was easy, the towns lovely. Good people all along the way. I’d go back to Portugal any time. Porto will impress. You’ll find plenty to photograph. May God shed light on your path and keep you healthy and safe. Buen Camino.

....... and all who walk with you.

My wife and I did that walk Sven, last September, Porto to Santiago. It’s quite a different hike to the Frances. We enjoyed it a lot and accommodation was easy, the towns lovely. Good people all along the way. I’d go back to Portugal any time. Porto will impress. You’ll find plenty to photograph. May God shed light on your path and keep you healthy and safe. Buen Camino.

Hi Lexicos, many Thanks for your infos and well wishes. I know Portugal quite a bit and can confirm, that the people are very friendly. I am going to walk along the coast, as long as it goes and if god so will enter Spain to continue to Santiago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen Camino Sven. Pave the way. Several of us will be along, once international borders reopen. I personally, to the Via de la Plata. Peace & joy, fondly sandi

we walked the Coastal route from Porto...it was magnificent...yes, very different than the Frances, flatter, quieter. Let us know how you are greeted by the locals under the circumstances. Be safe and many blessings!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear lovely poeple,

I dont have a question nor do I follow a particular agenda. I just want to share with you my joy about the upcoming walk on the camino portugues. After I walked the winter camino on the way of st james to santiago 2019 / 2020 and the corona pandemie got started shortly after that, I thought that this might have been the last camino this year. Now, I feel so gifted to be able to get on to the way again, starting from Porto and hopefully walking all the way to Finisterre. Perhaps I meet some of you on the way. Buen Camino Pilgrims.

Bom Caminho! I lived in Portugal quite a few years, and followed the Caminho in 2018. The Portuguese are hospitable, helpful people with a long history of which they are proud. They would prefer that those who do not speak Portuguese use English rather than Spanish.
May you have a good walk in every way!

Sven, when are you planning to start?
Please keep us informed as to what you find, especially the attitude of the people whose communities you pass through.
Hi Felice, I am flying the 17th of June to Lisbon, stay for a few days and then take the train up to Port, my starting point for the walk. When the borders to spain are open the 1st. of July, I am going to cross and continue to Santiago -> Finisterre. The portugues people I do know as a wonderful people. They are probably the most friendly and helpful I have ever met.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
we walked the Coastal route from Porto...it was magnificent...yes, very different than the Frances, flatter, quieter. Let us know how you are greeted by the locals under the circumstances. Be safe and many blessings!
Hey Bill, That's the way I gonna take as well. All along the coast and here and there a possibilty to jump into the ocean.

Bom Caminho! I lived in Portugal quite a few years, and followed the Caminho in 2018. The Portuguese are hospitable, helpful people with a long history of which they are proud. They would prefer that those who do not speak Portuguese use English rather than Spanish.
Hi Jane, thanks so much. Yes, people are very friendly and english is a good way to comunicate, for sure.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
They have historical reasons for their preference. I did notice that pilgrims who speak French can understand them fairly well, so if the French is one of the OP's languages he should be good to (sort-of) go!
buen camino

They have historical reasons for their preference. I did notice that pilgrims who speak French can understand them fairly well, so if the French is one of the OP's languages he should be good to (sort-of) go!
buen camino
I usually speak a mix of english and spanish, wehn I am in Portugal. Both works well.

The Portuguese Camino is the best- flat, beautiful language and soulful people - great food! It was by far my best Camino Experience of the three that I did. Fado Band in Coimbre- I danced in the streets! I was so happy in Portugal.
unnamed (1).jpg
“We have a very important word in Portuguese that has no translation in English - it is the word ‘saudade’. It is a word that is uniquely Portuguese and it describes a part of the Portuguese character – it means ‘a longing for what once was, but can never be again.’

The studious young woman took out a slip of paper and wrote down the most important Portuguese word I was to learn on my pilgrimage… SAUDADE.

After checking into my room, I looked up the Portuguese word ‘saudade’ on my iPad.

Saudade is a deep emotional state of nostalgic or profound melancholic longing for an absent something or someone that one loves. Moreover, it often carries a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might never return. A stronger form of saudade might be felt towards people and things whose whereabouts are unknown, such as a lost lover, or a family member who has gone missing, moved away, separated, or died.

Saudade was once described as "the love that remains" after someone is gone.

Saudade is the recollection of feelings, experiences, places, or events that once brought excitement, pleasure, well-being, which now triggers the senses and makes one live again. It can be described as an emptiness, like someone or something that should be there in a particular moment is missing, and the individual feels this absence. It brings sad and happy feelings altogether, sadness for missing and happiness for having experienced the feeling.

Saudade is a word in Portuguese that claims no direct translation in English. In Portuguese, "Tenho saudades tuas" translates as "I have (feel) saudade of you" meaning "I miss you", but carries a much stronger tone. In fact, one can have saudade of someone whom one is with, but have some feeling of loss towards the past or the future. For example, one can have "saudade" towards part of the relationship or emotions once experienced for/with someone, though the person in question still is part of one's life, as in "Tenho saudade do que fomos" (I feel "saudade" of the way we were).

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dear lovely poeple,

Sven ,In my opinion Muxia is a better end to a camino. Ultreia

The studious young woman took out a slip of paper and wrote down the most important Portuguese word I was to learn on my pilgrimage… SAUDADE.
Saudade is a word in Portuguese that claims no direct translation in English. In Portuguese, "Tenho saudades tuas" translates as "I have (feel) saudade of you" meaning "I miss you", but carries a much stronger tone. In fact, one can have saudade of someone whom one is with, but have some feeling of loss towards the past or the future. For example, one can have "saudade" towards part of the relationship or emotions once experienced for/with someone, though the person in question still is part of one's life, as in "Tenho saudade do que fomos" (I feel "saudade" of the way we were).

The word Saudade also exists in Galician, though is more used Morriña that has the same meaning.
In the song "Un Canto a Galicia", Julio Iglesias says:
"Teño morriña teño saudade porque estou lonxe de eses teus lares."

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dear lovely poeple,

I walked from Porto to Santiago in 2013, there were not so many albergues then, so we had rooms with families for the most of the time. I have never experienced generosity and friendliness like I did then in any of my travels. Many of the people we stayed with or met had very little, but what they had, they wanted to give and share. I loved the Portuguese people and look forward to walking there again in the future. Buen Camino

Dear lovely poeple,

Was on the Portugues last September. It was great! Many blessings on your journey.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, totally agree. I walked last August 2019. A completely different feel to it than the Frances.

Dear lovely poeple,

I also did Porto to Santiago in late September and first week October 2019. Did inland route. Wonderful. Bom Camino Sven.

Ha Ha Ha, my flight to Lisbon has been less than 48 hours before departure cancelled. Yipiieee. :) But hey, after a good night sleep I figured an alternative and now I am flying just a day later. We will see. Its all a camino 🥰

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back