• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Just wondering

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I was planning to walk the Levante/Invierno/Muxia last year but we all know that would never have ended up happening. I have mostly been out of the camino space these past few months, accepting the reality that I would most likely not be leaving this island for some years.
But quite out of the blue an idea popped into my head the other day: what if - when it is possible to walk again - I did the route I was planning (with a tent if need be) and took my time so that in each place I could check out if accommodations are up and running/hoping to operate again/closed permanently.....would that be a useful thing to share here or would it be redundant because that’s exactly what local associations will be/are doing??

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm not sure what you are asking... Are you suggesting that when you finally get to walk the Levante, you would check all the available accommodations as you go (not just where you stay) and post the information here, as a sort of update to whatever other guides exist?

That information would be very welcome, along with other impressions and experiences on the walk! But it seems like a huge task for one person to undertake, with limited Spanish and local contacts, while walking the route from Valencia to Santiago. Perhaps a better approach would be to get the latest information available from the local association at the time of your departure, and then test it as you go, simply as you need it. If you find errors or omissions, you could let the local Amigos know.

Did you follow the detailed planning thread done last year during lockdown? There was input from @JLWV who I think is involved in the Levante Amigos. Maybe when you arrive in Valencia, you could contact the association and ask if there is any information you can collect or confirm for them from the perspective of a walking pilgrim. In fact, that is probably always welcome feedback for them, but it will be especially useful during the recovery from Covid when there will likely be much uncertainty and many changes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Huge task? Sure, and I'm not Brierley;-) But I thought ti could be a way to contribute to the community - however, if associations are already keeping a running record, then there would be little point. If it were too ambitious I could narrow my search down to the relatively inexpensive accommodation options I had highlighted to use.
@JLWV do you have any thoughts?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I say yes, to everything! 😎 But when did you have in mind? The Levante gets awfully hot in the Summer 🤨

If you go to this website: http://vieiragrino.com/en/ and click on News, you will find a list of which hostels are open or closed on the Levante, including youth hostels and some not managed by the Association in Valencia. At the end of this list is a promise to keep it up to date. Any further information about accommodation would obviously be useful to pilgrims like myself hoping to walk the Levante this year. I hope to begin this route in Valencia in September, if all goes well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I say yes, to everything! 😎 But when did you have in mind? The Levante gets awfully hot in the Summer 🤨
I don't have a time in mind. Certainly not this year. It's going to cost $5000 (3000euros) for a two week quarantine on return to NZ for the forseeable future, so that would dampen any enthusiasm! Besides, I would not be going anywhere while the risk is still perceived to be high. I'm quietly wondering if I might get away with a "sabbatical" when my youngest finishes her home-schooling. She's currently 14, so that's 2-4 years away depending which sibling's example she follows. That feels possible.
Now that I think of it, that may be too late to be useful to anyone;-) We'll be watching @Albertagirl

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back