• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Kanga hopping

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
We arrived in Irun yesterday afternoon with the intention of staying overnight. But, after a deeply indulgent stay in Dubai to break the long plane trip, and a beautiful hostal in Madrid, we were looking for some action. The weather was perfect so we couldn't resist the lure of the trail. We set off about 3pm and made it to Pasajes just as it was getting dark. As usual we dallied far too long at the one and only bar on the way. The albergue is full but we have pitched our tent out the front - so YES it works! Having lumped it all the way (and having a 9 kilo pack instead of my usual 6 or 7) I am so relieved it has proved itself already. But next time we're definitely pitching it in daylight..... Do Not Pitch Tent for the first time with only the benefit of an iPhone light...
One of the idiosyncratic things about the albergue here is the bell that peels, very loudly, on the hour, every hour. Still did not keep us awake - yesterday's "alpista" route was every bit as challenging as people say. But so, so beautiful. image.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
buen camino Kanga!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We arrived in Irun yesterday afternoon with the intention of staying overnight. But, after a deeply indulgent stay in Dubai to break the long plane trip, and a beautiful hostal in Madrid, we were looking for some action. The weather was perfect so we couldn't resist the lure of the trail. We set off about 3pm and made it to Pasajes just as it was getting dark. As usual we dallied far too long at the one and only bar on the way. The albergue is full but we have pitched our tent out the front - so YES it works! Having lumped it all the way (and having a 9 kilo pack instead of my usual 6 or 7) I am so relieved it has proved itself already. But next time we're definitely pitching it in daylight..... Do Not Pitch Tent for the first time with only the benefit of an iPhone light...
One of the idiosyncratic things about the albergue here is the bell that peels, very loudly, on the hour, every hour. Still did not keep us awake - yesterday's "alpista" route was every bit as challenging as people say. But so, so beautiful. View attachment 18354
Buen Camino Kanga...safe travels, lots of amazing experiences and keep sharing with us....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
image.jpg We thought Pasajes was lovely. Could not resist a double serving of café con leche y tostada at the bread shop. After last night's late night "snack" of deep fried fresh prawns and bacalao croquettes serious danger lurks that we might be adding kilos instead of taking them off. I maintained my dignity and did not fall into the sea clambering on the ferry. Enjoyed the short walk to San Sebastian where we are staying tonight.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Made this journey two years ago with my wife and kids as far as Gernika. We will pick up the Camino del Norte again from there in July while visiting family in Zarautz!
Your walk over the next couple of days will be fantastic, I really hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Bide On!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Day 3 was beautiful - and we finished up in a real camp ground just before Zarautz - before dark. Definite improvement on night time tent adventures. Being Sunday we treated ourselves to the best menu del dia. Whitebait and ribs and some other fish - lots of butter and garlic. Delicious. And then there was dessert... We needed a treat as our bodies were feeling some pain. Sidra may become my favourite narcotic.
Day 4 has been an easy flat walk into Getaria where we are having a little second breakfast.

Buen Camino!!!!!!!! Smiling with your posts :) keep us informed!!!!! One month left for me to be there!!!!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So, we inch along. Staying tonight at a rather lovely "agri tourism" casa just after Zumaia. According to the guide book we've only done about 12 km today. What slackers. Our excuse is Knees. They are actually fine but, as Pooh says, you can never be too careful. We did not want to push on to Deba which is another 12 kms.

Hope you enjoy the next days walk which ever way you go, the 10-12km's via the PR coastal route are amongst the hardest I have breathlessly walked and admired at the same time.

Reading your posts is so much fun, rembering why walk throught that area last fall. Isn't it just gorgeous?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Buen camino, Kanga. See on El tiempo that you will have nice and warm weather. Two years ago it was wind and rain most days. Enjoy the sights. I am impressed by your campinglife!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You might have tried it already but the local white wine is Txakoli ( Chacoli), great with sea food.

I'll be following this thread with interest as I'm walking from Irun to Santander in early June.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh...the cafe con leche pic looks so wonderful! I am holding on to it and picturing myself and Tom sitting in Oviedo in less than 30 days! Ultreia!

Walked this in 2013-fair play to you Kanga and Mr Kanga for making it from Irun to Pasajes before dark-and carrying a tent! Will be tuning in regularly to see how you are getting on.
PS sampled the sidra and the wine and recommend both.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, @Al the optimist that is my long suffering mate. But he brightened up immediately when I told him @mikevasey 's suggestion we try the local wine.
Tonight we are staying at an albergue about 4 km past Deba. We aren't allowed to put up the tent because it is in a national park (even in the albergue grounds) - but we've been offered a bed in a garage as an alternative to bunks in a dorm. All part of the rich tapestry.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Kanga enjoying your posts, I am vicariously experiencing the Norte through them so hope you don't mind me throwing little suggestions in now and then. The walk to Markina is quite beautiful probably my favourite bit of the Norte, whole stretches on forest paths and the church at the entrance to Markina has this amazing rock/ stone inside of it.

€60,-
image.jpg A very beautiful but long walk to Markina this morning, with one particularly challenging ascent - my husband says to more than 900 metres. And what goes up, must come down. My ankles and knees were complaining a bit. Am thinking those blow up sleeping mats would work quite nicely as toboggans.

Last edited:
We'll go looking for the church @mikevasey - we've just been picked up and taken to an albergue that is just off the route.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Get some good ropes on them and maybe with a good wind you could paraglide.

Sleeping mats that is not historic churches.

@mikevasey your suggestions are always welcome, especially by my husband when they involve wine - although he would be even more enthusiastic if combined with hiring a motorbike!
LOL! I have this extended plan for our future walks and my husband keeps suggesting that we could cycle..... He too can be convinced to walk for wine! Ultreia

We arrived in Markina a bit too late for lunch so, against my better judgement had a "pilgrim menu" for dinner. Not very good food but we were so hungry we ate far too much. And the company of other pilgrims was great - some Luxemburgers with good wit and humour.
Here's today's albergue, view from same, and the garden. We are in our own room again so no camping. Rain forecast tomorrow - the tent may stay in the pack of it is wet (my promise to Ian)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Having trouble uploading photos - and don't want to slow the thread. Will put them up later.
The blue house on the other side of the road, with an albergue and pension? Stayed there last fall and loved it. Just brace yourself tomorrow when you trek down the hill past the monastery. You will be putting you walking poles to very good use.

How is the weather so far? It looks a bit grey in your pictures. I'm having second thoughts about wearing my trail running shoes and thinking of getting a pair of waterproof walking shoes instead.

€60,-
@nc6000 we are both still in sandals - absolutely delighted with them. Waded through mud and slush and just wash off at the next fountain. Rained today but the gear was good - Altus poncho plus sandals - works for us.
@Anemone del Camino the Scrubba is getting used daily.

Made it to Guernica today. Lovely walk in company of new friends. Rained quite hard at one stage and I was very glad of my gloves when it got cold. It is always a thrill to realise that weather is just weather - and how easy are our lives with good clothes to protect us. We are blessed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We have enjoyed your blog and photos. We are walking from Irun on Wednesday 20th May going as far as Bilbao. Looking forward to it especially now having seen how lovely it is.

Rain, mud, rain, fog, mud and more rain. But we made it to Lazamo, just before Bilbao. Filthy, drenched and cold, there is nothing, nothing, quite so wonderful a gift to humankind as a hot shower! Up on the mountain the logging trucks had made such a mess of the trail it was a bit like skiing. I abandoned all thought of avoiding mud and just ploughed through. Sealskinz waterproof socks and sandals kept my feet happy but Paris fashion it is not. This photo was on a bit of road - on the trail I was too busy concentrating on keeping upright. image.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sealskinz waterproof socks and sandals kept my feet happy but Paris fashion it is not. This photo was on a bit of road - on the trail I was too busy concentrating on keeping upright. View attachment 18534
How are these made? I much prefer walking barefoot in sandals, but these days I need to wear orthodics, so shoes it is and I am developping a Camino sock fettish ;0)

The tent is at the bottom of the pack at present - weather is altogether too unfriendly. Although I did have a moment on the trail when I thought "well, if I do slip and break a leg, at least we can put the tent over me while Ian gets help". The mind goes to some weird places on a day like today. I was remembering those por souls who survived the Andes plane crash all those years ago, and how different would have been the outcome if they had had GPS and offline maps. They would have seen they were only a couple of kilometres from a fully stocked ski lodge.

Hi Kanga -
Everything sounds wonderful on your Camino, despite the challenge of the weather on some of the days. I hope that all continues to go well for you both. How are your ASICS holding up and are you loving those fantastic new poles? Did you pack 'One Luxury Item' and if so, what was it?
Buen Camino!
Cheers - Jenny

@JennyH94 I'm in Ecco sandals and loving them. When it is really wet and cold I don Sealskinz socks with the sandals. No blisters. Will do a gear review later.

@JennyH94 I'm in Ecco sandals and loving them. When it is really wet and cold I don Sealskinz socks with the sandals. No blisters. Will do a gear review later.
Hi Kanga - I love the Eccos too - they're a fabulous sandal. What a great idea to wear the Sealskinz socks with them and it's terrific to hear that you're blister-free. I look forward to reading your gear review.
'Hoping that you're both having a wonderful Camino -
Cheers - Jenny

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Great thread Kanga!

We are finally on the way from
Vezelay

Keep up the posts and pictures!

We then stopped for cafe con leche and pinchos of goats cheese, tomatoes and croquettes. The afternoon turned into a glorious sunny walk along spectacular coastal cliffs to Castro Urdiales. Arrived after a very satisfactory 33 km day. Ankles and feet enjoyed an icy bath tonight, and we both drank rather a lot of red wine. View of the cliff walk

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
We then stopped for cafe con leche and pinchos of goats cheese, tomatoes and croquettes. The afternoon turned into a glorious sunny walk along spectacular coastal cliffs to Castro Urdiales. Arrived after a very satisfactory 33 km day. Ankles and feet enjoyed an icy bath tonight, and we both drank rather a lot of red wine. View of the cliff walk
I can see the road is nice and level, and has a nice tunnel at the end - what is the path like?

Kanga - my mouth is watering! Your lunch sounded fantastic!
Enjoy every moment and I wish you both joy in every step you take -
Cheers - Jenny

I was so hungry last night I succumbed to the "Pilgrim Menu" and it was not good. Better to eat tapas at night or eat late, with the locals. We have a room last night but as the weather is better tonight we are heading for a campsite. I've also found a better list of campsites (none of my guides are geared towards camping) so hopefully the tent might get some use. Sleeping in the grounds of the albergues is still on the list but does not often seem easy.

Santillana Del Mar( (4 or 5 days) has a nice campsite at the far end of town, the camino on leaving passes right next to it, maybe huts there as well for pilgrims if you ask. La Isla might let you pitch, Soto de Luina, Cadevedeo and Sobrado dox Monxes will let you.

The restaurants in Llanes near the bridge in town compete against each other, this is a very good place to look around when you are not hungry and weigh everything up.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Started the day with a wrong turn which, of course, necessitated an extra Bar stop to get directions. Bit of hard road walking, then a lovely soft grass coastal path into Islares where we've stopped for lunch. Most beautiful church so far, without doubt, is Santa Maria in Castro-Urdiales. Sadly not open when we passed. image.jpg

Started the day with a wrong turn which, of course, necessitated an extra Bar stop to get directions. Bit of hard road walking, then a lovely soft grass coastal path into Islares where we've stopped for lunch. Most beautiful church so far, without doubt, is Santa Maria in Castro-Urdiales. Sadly not open when we passed. View attachment 18610

Kanga, that restaurant in the hotel in Islares was one of my best Norte meals. People came from far away to eat there and it was a terrific Sunday menu del dia lunch. Even my sweet-toothed companion did not have room for dessert! All fish based and fresh. Enjoying your trip vicariously, buen camino, Laurie

@peregrina2000 Oh Laurie, I wish I'd known. We had a snack at the cafe next to the camping ground. If anyone has tips for Laredo let me know now, before we get there!
I keep looking at Ivar's app but haven't found any reviews yet

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In the tent at Laredo, in a camping ground. It's raining. Dry so far....

After surviving torrential rain and thunder in the tent, we made it a short day to Noja. The climb up and over the headland between Playa La Barria and Playa Trengandin was, for me, very difficult. It is not a long section but surprisingly steep and slippery, with very sharp rocks. One slip and I could imagine bones shattering. The guide book does not make anything of it but older or less athletic pilgrims take heed!
We are treating ourselves to an overnight stay in Hotel Las Olas with a wonderful view of the beach. Lunch, with a fellow pilgrim, was superb. image.jpg

What a journey, Kanga! A tent in the rain is not so much fun--or rather it's getting out and packing in the rain that's a drag. So I'm very glad you're more comfortable tonight after that climb!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Viranani hotel bathrooms work well for drying tents (actually only the fly). It is really a good tent; not the lightest but a very practical choice. Easy to put up, sturdy and comfortable. No condensation inside - it has a netting inner tent with a fly over the top. We particularly like the double access so Ian and I don't have to climb over each other to get out. Our sleeping mats and bags are also proving very good. My only complaint is that the tent is on the ground (oh, ze knees) and the rain. But that's the Camino; and you can't have glorious emerald green fields without rain.

Great photo Kanga! Your posts are so enjoyable also. Glad your tent is a dual entry to ease the ins and outs. Keep on hopping!

MM

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Great photo, Kanga, and good thing for poles; it looks steep as can be--the people on the beach look like ants!
That's a funny image, of the tarp in the loo, but dry is good. :)
Hope you both have a good rest and a good walk tomorrow...thanks for keeping the posts up, loving the vicarious Norte!

Coming down the hill into Noja View attachment 18644
That photo,Kanga brings back memories!
I remember that scarey path from last year. Luckily my taller,stronger buddy gave me a hand on some deep steps. I was happy to get to the beach!
Most of the others went by the road. Enjoying following you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I love the sound of rain on a good tent. Not so great for sleeping though but a great sound anyway! Hope your trails dry out!

Beautiful! I guess I'll need to put the Norte on my 'to do' list!
buen camino
I agree, and I've not yet done the Frances!!
Buen Camino, Kanga. I'm enjoying your postings as well.
Suzanne :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last year, in late August, that beach on the other side was a nudist beach and pretty crowded. We Pilgrims with boots and packs made a strange contrast.

It was hot and dry but the climb up and back down was a challenge.

The guide book said very little...just.. "Climb the hill"

Fantastic posts Kanga, but then again I'm a sucker for a scenic photo and a vivid description of tasty food and beverages!

After surviving torrential rain and thunder in the tent, we made it a short day to Noja. The climb up and over the headland between Playa La Barria and Playa Trengandin was, for me, very difficult. It is not a long section but surprisingly steep and slippery, with very sharp rocks. One slip and I could imagine bones shattering. The guide book does not make anything of it but older or less athletic pilgrims take heed!

I remember this section well. It had rained the day before and the muddy trail was extremely slippery, downright treacherous. As we were coming down toward Playa de Noja we saw an older French man with running shoes and no walking pole struggling up the hill you show in your picture (walking west to east). We warned him that he should turn around because the downward slope on the other side, which we had just climbed, was even worse. He said thank you but kept going. Later at the beach a German came down the hill, put his pack on the beach and said "we have got to help that man up there, he is in real trouble." Two young strong Germans went up and rescued him. We then learned his name was Daniel and that he had walked from Monaco to SdC and was now walking back to Paris. He appeared to be at least 70. He ultimately decided to detour to bypass this part of the trail.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We had a two night stop at Santander, meeting some friends who have been walking in France. Most amazing collection of "I want, I want, I want" shoe shops! A good thing my pack is already too heavy as I would otherwise be channelling Emelda Marcos. Today we walked to Santillana del Mar; a bit industrial on the way but the village itself is an absolute gem.image.jpg

Spent the night in the tent in the camping ground on the way out of Santillana del Mar - it also has cabins for pilgrims at €10 per person, four to a room in bunks, with own bathroom. The auspices looked good for camping, lovely sunny day, warm night, soft grass, good bathrooms very close. If not now, when? Said Ian, who has been carrying the tent. After a very, very good meal and far too much red wine, we put up the tent. Pretty much. That we had not tightened the fly (red wine factor at play) didn't matter as it was going to be a dry, windless night. Ahem. Until about 2am when a cold wind came in under the loose fly and the heavens opened up. But by morning the rain had stopped and we had stayed dry, if a bit cold. Fasten fly next time....
A good breakfast and a jount around this amazingly beautiful place put all to rights. The cloisters are glorious. Sadly the church was not open. The rest of the day was a lovely walk to Cóbreces and a image.jpg luxury private room tonight!

Just added this edit - another thread has recounted bedbugs in the Santillana del Mar Albergue/cabins. Did not trouble is in the tent but take precautions I suggest.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back