• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Kanga hopping

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi kanga I am enjoying your posts and remembering our norte walk at the same time. You have a mixture of weather! We kept along the coastal way except for a detour to Oviedo. Cheers Jill

I've not posted recently - too busy walking and taking it all in. All enjoyable with the exception of my camping mat which I've decided is a dud. Am going to try Ian's next time we camp and if he and I survive the night we'll keep the tent. Otherwise it's going into the post to Ivar.

We are now in Gijón. My Fitbit tells me yesterday we climbed 144 flights of stairs. Asturias is green and lush and beautiful and up and down.
Yesterday we stopped at Villaviciosa. Enjoyed the celebrations at the Sideria when the favoured football team won the local derby - Spaniards know how to celebrate. Much singing and dancing and the girl behind the bar impressed with her long pours of cider, not even looking at the glass. Obligatory photo: image.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Kanga, thanks for posting such wonderful images and information. I love the north coast and have "tourist-ed" there many times, but not walked.
I look forward to more of your shared camino.
Buen Viaje.

image.jpg Yesterday was a long day but today a lovely morning walk, albeit with gray skies, from Cadavedo to Luarca. On advice of a local walker we avoided 3km of what we later heard was deep, heavy, slippery mud, by a bit of road walking. From then onto lovely woodland paths up and down interspersed with a bit of road. Luarca itself is beautiful; it rather reminds me of Passajes San Juan.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
image.jpg image.jpg The boys like taking photos of motorways; I take photos of flowers. Enjoyed the walk into Navia. Accommodation is a swish hotel. No campground and not much choice. Goody. image.jpg One of my companions says we should trade our scallop shell for a lobster shell.

Whoa! We've reached Galicia. Now in Ribadeo. Just had my first meal of pulpo and ribeira. Starting to feel a little melancholy - the closer we get to Santiago the nearer to the end of this wonderful adventure. Only one cure - planning the next.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Kanga, I am only just now discovering your wonderful odyssey... what a great thread! I feel like I am there with you. Makes me all the more ready to lace up my boots at the end of June and head out!
Courage!

Made it to Guernica today. Lovely walk in company of new friends. Rained quite hard at one stage and I was very glad of my gloves when it got cold. It is always a thrill to realise that weather is just weather - and how easy are our lives with good clothes to protect us. We are blessed.
Kanga, go Aussie go, go, go.. sorry could not resist sending that bit of Aussie love and familiarity,,, do tell, I imagine leeches are not a problem at this juncture, being that it is too cold for the little tackers? or are the wet conditions ideal for the lil suckers? all the best, following in your footsteps maybe next year..a local friend from here on the Sunny Coast is currently on the Norte and another starts in St.Jean 1st week of September, so jealously happy in a healthy way for dem...kate

Whoa! We've reached Galicia. Now in Ribadeo. Just had my first meal of pulpo and ribadeira. Starting to feel a little melancholy - the closer we get to Santiago the nearer to the end of this wonderful adventure. Only one cure - planning the next.

View attachment 19207

Maybe you meant "ribeiro" (no ribadeira): Yes, in Ribadeo though I think there is still one Sidrería, it is the beginning of pulpo and ribeiro good tools to fight against morriña (melancholy).

Nothing like confabulating - a wine and a town. Yes, I meant "ribeiro" -although the iPhone keeps trying to change the spelling.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tomorrow we turn inland towards Santiago . We can't see much in the way of campgrounds between here and Santiago so we're posting the tent. Having that extra weight has helped make us strong - and given excuses for those hot chocolates and churros. It's mineral water and rusks from now....

Just have to mention tonight's accommodation (not in the App @ivar ) Casa Gloria at Lourenzá. It's really really good, and we only found it by asking at a bar. Not an Albergue but a casa rural - we have our own lovely room and huge bathroom, access to a good kitchen and better still, Gloria runs the confitería next door. So breakfast includes no calories at all.... I don't think! And all very reasonably priced.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tomorrow we turn inland towards Santiago . Having that extra weight has helped make us strong - and given excuses for those hot chocolates and churros. It's mineral water and rusks from now....
You needed an excuse for chocolates & churros - some might say you are not a true pilgrim until you have this for breakfast most days. Go Jill - will we see you at Sydney Pilgrims in Aug?:):p:cool:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You needed an excuse for chocolates & churros - some might say you are not a true pilgrim until you have this for breakfast most days. Go Jill - will we see you at Sydney Pilgrims in Aug?:):p:cool:
Oh dear, another 'true pilgrim' test that I seem to have failed! Can I make up by noting that I had vegemite on my lunchtime bocadillo most days?

Can I make up by noting that I had vegemite on my lunchtime bocadillo most days? (quote from dougfitz)
Yes of course - probably better for your waistline!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Big thanks for posting your photographs, Kanga. You've been so lucky to see such a variety of stunning sites (and weather conditions!).

Kanga,
Enjoying your posts. Looks like a fantastic walk. I now have the Norte in mind for serious consideration. Your photos are great by the way.
Buen Camino to you both.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You said that Ribadeo- Lourenzá was beautiful I hope that Lourenzá - Sobrado was also good. My home village is 22kms from Parga(Guitiriz) and is the same landscape: meadows, oaks, corn and less eucaliptus than in other parts of Galicia.

We made it to Santiago. Loved the journey. Loved the company. Very, very happy. Hugged the Saint. Lit candles. Got a compostela endorsed with the name of my friend with Motor Neurone Disease (ALS). Picked up the tent from Ivar. Camped at As Cancelas. Enjoyed the pool but pity my bra and nickers (and nothing else) got taken from the clothesline - creepy.
It got hot. Very hot.
And now? My marriage has taken precedence over walking to Finisterre. We've hired a car.
That's it until next Camino.

We made it to Santiago. Loved the journey. Loved the company. Very, very happy. Hugged the Saint. Lit candles. Got a compostela endorsed with the name of my friend with Motor Neurone Disease (ALS). Picked up the tent from Ivar. Camped at As Cancelas. Enjoyed the pool but pity my bra and nickers (and nothing else) got taken from the clothesline - creepy.
It got hot. Very hot.
And now? My marriage has taken precedence over walking to Finisterre. We've hired a car.
That's it until next Camino.

Hi Kanga. Enjoyed reading about your latest Camino. What guide book did you use?

Just looked through this great thread, wonderful!

Hi Kanga. Enjoyed reading about your latest Camino. What guide book did you use?
Used the Cicerone Guide "The Northern Caminos" by Whitson and Perazzoli. But did not need it much.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Used the Cicerone Guide "The Northern Caminos" by Whitson and Perazzoli. But did not need it much.

Thanks Kanga. We are trying to make a decision on next years Camino. We had our heart set on the Portuguese from Lisbon to SDC but it has been copping some bad reviews on the forum, so we are looking at an alternative Camino if we decide not to go ahead with our first choice.

Thanks Kanga. We are trying to make a decision on next years Camino. We had our heart set on the Portuguese from Lisbon to SDC but it has been copping some bad reviews on the forum, so we are looking at an alternative Camino if we decide not to go ahead with our first choice.

It's a lovely route. We had thought to turn onto the Primitivo but I'm glad we didn't as there were some lovely sections through Asturias and Galicia. If time is an issue it can easily be shortened by starting closer to Santiago.

I was so hungry last night I succumbed to the "Pilgrim Menu" and it was not good. Better to eat tapas at night or eat late, with the locals. We have a room last night but as the weather is better tonight we are heading for a campsite. I've also found a better list of campsites (none of my guides are geared towards camping) so hopefully the tent might get some use. Sleeping in the grounds of the albergues is still on the list but does not often seem easy.
Do you still have that list?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Day 3 was beautiful - and we finished up in a real camp ground just before Zarautz - before dark. Definite improvement on night time tent adventures. Being Sunday we treated ourselves to the best menu del dia. Whitebait and ribs and some other fish - lots of butter and garlic. Delicious. And then there was dessert... We needed a treat as our bodies were feeling some pain. Sidra may become my favourite narcotic.
Day 4 has been an easy flat walk into Getaria where we are having a little second breakfast.
Where did you pitch tent?

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back