• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kansas Priest on Camino August 2013

MickMac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Frances 2018
Frances 2018
Ponferrada-Santiago
July 2019
Walked the Camino late August met a Kansas priest in full regalia walking with his altar boy. Met him several times along way he said mass for pilgrims outside Torres del rio anyone else see him, He told us he was going to Santiago to join monastery? Did he reach his Goal ??

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's hard to tell from your pic.

Could you describe the full regalia he wore while walking?

What was the age of the altar boy?

That is father Laurence... I don't know what you meant about an altar boy ... But I saw him several times along the way and the last time I saw him was in Santiago, he shaved his beard.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm just trying to understand.

There are two adults in the pic. One is wearing a black cassock and the other a cassock and surplice. Neither is wearing anything I'd call regalia much less full regalia.

You mentioned an altar boy.

I think his inaccurate terms was not an attempt to mislead, but embellish a story. Most important is that he was interested in the outcome of this young priest. Clarification is good - the term a Kansas city priest and his alter boy did not sound well to the ear and the reality is that we have two grown men and not a man and a boy. During the last many years this is not what we need to cause confusion about, malheureusement.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry about misunderstanding , as a lapsed Catholic the only term I knew was "Altar Boy", server is far better. The server was in his twenties the priest was wearing a cassock with a domed, a round wide brimmed hat, no disrespect was meant he was a charming character, very genuine and I wished him best of luck "Did he join the monastery ?

Attachments

• Priest from Kansas Torres del rio.jpg
    Priest from Kansas Torres del rio.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 47
Whilst I can't help you on the question of whether he joined the monastery, I can shed some light on his apparel. He appears to be of the traditional persuasion (he would celebrate the old Latin rite, the Tridentine Mass, rather than the Novos Ordo, which is what is most commonly celebrated in the Roman Catholic Church today). The first photo you posted indicates this by the way the altar has been set up, the style of surplice on the altar server, and his preference for wearing a cassock. The second photo shows him also sporting a cappello, which complements the wearing of the cassock outdoors.

I hope you find out where he ended up :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Whilst I can't help you on the question of whether he joined the monastery, I can shed some light on his apparel. He appears to be of the traditional persuasion (he would celebrate the old Latin rite, the Tridentine Mass, rather than the Novos Ordo, which is what is most commonly celebrated in the Roman Catholic Church today). The first photo you posted indicates this by the way the altar has been set up, the style of surplice on the altar server, and his preference for wearing a cassock. The second photo shows him also sporting a cappello, which complements the wearing of the cassock outdoors.

I hope you find out where he ended up :)

Attachments

• Kansas priest setting up altar om Camino.jpg
    Kansas priest setting up altar om Camino.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 49
We met Fr Lawrence at the Refugio Guacelmo in Rabanal. It was my understanding that he was in transition from being a diocesan priest to joining a religious order in Kansas City, not joining a monastery in Santiago. I have a couple of photos of him, but I will not post them without his permission. I should add that he was kind enough to pray for healing for my wife, who was suffering from a bad bout of food poisoning, probably from eating some tuna empenada that had set out on the bar too long the day before.

Jim

I had the pleasure of a few interesting conversations with Fr. Lawrence as we walked, (we happened to be walking the same stretch at the same time on several different days). He really made you think! He was very 'old school', just like my priest here at home! I'm glad I met him. My knowledge about his future plans is the same as jmcarp's was... Except there was talk about continuing on towards Fatima... I don't know if they actually did it or not... It was just a thought they had on the last day I saw them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I haven't seen the pics but it sounds like a priest who collected his Compostela from the Pilgrim's Office in late September. He was a rather striking figure :)

I haven't seen the pics but it sounds like a priest who collected his Compostela from the Pilgrim's Office in late September. He was a rather striking figure :)
Many thanks I wish Father Lawrence all the best in the future, he is indeed a charismatic person Buen Camino

My favorite Fr. Lawrence memory was in Villafranca del Bierzo... We were across the street from the castle and we were having a small refreshment break while sitting on a wall. I got up to stretch my legs and get my bearings and when I turned back towards the wall I found both Fr. Lawrence & my husband were engrossed in reading... My husband had his nose shoved in the Brierly Guidebook freaking out about the horrible road we had yet to travel and Fr. Lawrence was calmly reading his Bible! I should have taken a picture, I almost did... But it just felt wrong! But I confess a part of me STILL regrets not taking that shot... LOL!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Walked the Camino late August met a Kansas priest in full regalia walking with his altar boy. Met him several times along way he said mass for pilgrims outside Torres del rio anyone else see him, He told us he was going to Santiago to join monastery? Did he reach his Goal ??

I have a nice photo of Father Lawrence and John hoped to get it to them This is my try Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 1.59.57 PM.png

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.