A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Kat Davis - pilgrim and author. Died 28 February 2020.

2020 Camino Guides

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
A mutual friend has passed on this message from the husband of Kat Davis. Kat will be known to many of us as a prolific and adventurous walker, blogger and more recently as the author of two Cicerone guide books for the Camino Portugues and the Kumano Kodo. Kat was an active member of this forum for a number of years as @katdavis .

Hello all – this is Howard, Katrina’s husband. I’m sorry to say that Katrina passed away on Friday 28th February. She was the most beautiful, kind and loving person you could ever hope to meet. Always selfless, thoughtful and generous. I know that she touched so many hearts with her kindness and gentle spirit, and her travel adventures and writings were an inspiration to thousands of people across the world, many of whom she knew personally and others whom she never met but were nevertheless influenced by her writing, photography, advice and guidance. I will post an update in a few days’ time. Thank you for being part of Katrina’s life. Howard

This is Kat's personal website: https://followingthearrows.com/

1583057831394.png

kazrobbo

Tassie Kaz
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2012
CP 2015
St Olavs Norway 2016
88T Japan 2017
PWC/VF 2019
Israel 2020 X
Wales CP 21?
KK?
VdlP?
I am truly saddened by this news as I know many others will be too.
Next year I will walk the Kumano Kodo with Kat's guidebook firmly in hand & thoughts of this inspirational woman on the trail with me...just as her writing accompanied me on the Way of 88 Temples.
Deepest sympathy to her family & friends.
A life too short but lived fully.
😔

Last edited:

Roland49

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2019 July
Sad to hear!

Rest in Peace, Pelegrina.
Condolences to her family.

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Kat's publisher Cicerone have just made this statement on their Facebook page:

"The whole Cicerone community is deeply saddened by the news that Katrina Davis, one of our esteemed authors and colleagues, died on 28 February. We held Kat in the highest regard both personally and professionally and admired her talent and dedication. Her death is an enormous loss, and along with her husband Howard, family and her many friends we are shocked and grieving. Her writing and guides have touched the lives of many walkers and pilgrims with their inspiration and guidance. She was an inspiring author to work with.

As information becomes available, we will share news about any services and any other ways we can celebrate the life and accomplishments of this beloved member of our team.

Jonathan Williams, MD and publisher at Cicerone Press."

Last edited:

MarkyD

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés 31/08/2018 - 20/10/2018

"The whole Cicerone community is deeply saddened by the news that Katrina Davis, one of our esteemed authors and colleagues, died on 28 February. We held Kat in the highest regard both personally and professionally and admired her talent and dedication. Her death is an enormous loss, and along with her husband Howard, family and her many friends we are shocked and grieving. Her writing and guides have touched the lives of many walkers and pilgrims with their inspiration and guidance. She was an inspiring author to work with.

As information becomes available, we will share news about any services and any other ways we can celebrate the life and accomplishments of this beloved member of our team.

Such a sad loss of someone so young and full of the love of life. Her travels and journeys are testament to a soul that is deeply connected with nature. Condolences to all her family and friends. Buen Camino Peregrina - anyone looking up to the Milky Way will surely see your footsteps in the stars.

Camino(s) past & future
CF 03,04
88 Temples16
Port. 17
LePuy, Norte, Prim 18
Ingles 18
Jakobova, Arles, Aragon,Baztan 19
crushed by the news. i have many times followed her arrows. she was always so generous with her time in replying to any query. I remember on the Camino Portuguese sitting at Casa Fernanda, and this other pilgrim was talking about her hiking poles and blogger that recommended them, right away i said, "you follow Kat!" . rest in peace Peregrina. buen camino. bom caminho. O-ki o tsukete...

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Ohhh, this is a very sad shock.
Condolences from the heart to her family and many friends.

gollygolly

Camino(s) past & future
2000, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Very saddened to read this sad news and a very very heart felt condolences to the family, friends and all those who were in large or small ways impacted by and uplifted by Kat Davis touching their lives.

May her soul rest in peace, descansa en paz, yasuraka ni nemuru for eternity

View attachment 70377

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Ourense to Santiago (2019), CF: (2014, 2004, 2002, 2001). On to Fisterra, (2002, 4, 14).
R.I.P. peregrina.

Santiago bless her husband and family.

Young death is very hard!

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Spain: Mar 2010, Apr 2014, May/Jun 2016. Norway/Sweden: 2012, 2018. Other: 2011, 2019. CP (2020)
Such sad news. My condolences to her family and may she rest in peace.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2013), Primitivo (2015), Muxia/Fisterra (2015), Haervejen (2017)
I am still processing this and hardly know how to think about Kat’s death.

I first “met” Kat in 2015 through the Camino Primitivo forum here. My husband Tom and I were planning to walk the Primitivo in the early summer of 2015. That spring Kat was on the trail and was posting to the forum. There was no English guide to the Primitivo at the time so I was avidly gathering any details I could find. I started following her wonderful blog. The Primitivo was our second Camino and I was a looking forward to getting off the beaten trail, but a little worried about whether we might be getting in over our heads! Kat’s blog was loaded with great information and wonderful pictures. I started corresponding with her through blog comments. Later that year, she announced she would be hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. This hike is not like the Camino and is not for the faint hearted or out of shape. 2000 miles in the mountainous wilderness. I was impressed. Also the PCT passed relatively close to our home in Idaho and I thought I just might get to meet her face to face. I gave Kat my contact details and continued to avidly follow her blog.

One day in August, she put out a call for shoes. She had worn through her chosen shoes much more quickly than she planned and the manufacturer had stopped making them. I happened to read her call just as my husband and I were heading from the house to our local sports shop. I checked for the shoes at the shop and there they were. Tom and I decided to buy the shoes as we could always return them if Kat didn’t need them. While we were standing in line to check out, I quickly added a comment to her blog saying we were buying a pair of her shoes if she needed them. Just as we got to the cash register my phone rang. It was Kat! Just in time to pay for the shoes over the phone!

As things went, Kat didn‘t use the shoes she bought through us and we didn’t meet up during her PCT trek. But we made plans to meet the following summer while Tom and I were in London. She brought along Johnnie Walker and the four of us had a wonderful lunch.

I have continued to follow Kat’s blog and just finished her posts about her recent walk on the Lycian Way.

Kat was a beautiful and generous person. I can’t quite process that I will no longer be inspired and challenged by her bright, adventurous and upbeat blog. Maybe she will blog from heaven so we will all feel more comfortable about following her on that final journey.

Holly West

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
A mutual friend has passed on this message from the husband of Kat Davis. Kat will be known to many of us as a prolific and adventurous walker, blogger and more recently as the author of two Cicerone guide books for the Camino Portugues and the Kumano Kodo. Kat was an active member of this forum for a number of years as @katdavis .

Hello all – this is Howard, Katrina’s husband. I’m sorry to say that Katrina passed away on Friday 28th February. She was the most beautiful, kind and loving person you could ever hope to meet. Always selfless, thoughtful and generous. I know that she touched so many hearts with her kindness and gentle spirit, and her travel adventures and writings were an inspiration to thousands of people across the world, many of whom she knew personally and others whom she never met but were nevertheless influenced by her writing, photography, advice and guidance. I will post an update in a few days’ time. Thank you for being part of Katrina’s life. Howard

View attachment 70377
This is so sad. I will be thinking of her friends and family. What a beautiful person and am so glad she wandered while she was on this earth.

Mike Wells

author of 'Cycling the Camino Frances'
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (1995) (2017 x2) (2018) Via de la Plata (1996), Finisterre 2018
As a fellow Cicerone Camino guidebook author (mine is on cycling the Camino Frances, hers on walking the Camino Portugese) who has met Kat on a number of occasions, I am truly saddened and shaken by the news. When she cycled across Japan last year she asked my advice on what to take and told me it was my description of cycling the Camino that inspired her to buy a bike and take it to Japan. Part of my advice was to use a bike with disc brakes, but she ignored this small piece of advice. After a week in Japan, she e-mailed me to say I was right and she regretted not having disc brakes. Such a kind and friendly person. She will be missed.

Sydney Peregrinos

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2009); Portugues (2013); Frances (2015); Finisterre (2015); Invierno (2018); Ingles (2018);
Our hearts are filled with sadness as we try to process this very tragic news.Last year we walked with Kat for 10 days on the Norte and have many unforgettable memories of our time together. Her energy and joy for life was inspiring.
Our hearts go out to you Howard, Kat’s dad Graeme and all her family.
Rest in Peace dear friend. Ted and Linda

Srhhines

Camino(s) past & future
2017 Portuguese
crushed by the news. i have many times followed her arrows. she was always so generous with her time in replying to any query. I remember on the Camino Portuguese sitting at Casa Fernanda, and this other pilgrim was talking about her hiking poles and blogger that recommended them, right away i said, "you follow Kat!" . rest in peace Peregrina. buen camino. bom caminho. O-ki o tsukete...
I am heartbroken! I just stumbled across this news. I may be the pacer pole person from Casa Fernanda... I’m sure there are very many who took her recommendations to heart. She was so very wise and a fantastic guide. So much of the success of our Camino came from her resources she shared on her blog.

Rex

Pilgrim Trekker
Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to Santiago (2013)
Lisboa to Santiago (2018)
A life well lived, cut short too soon. Obrigado and Bom Caminho as you trek across the heavens.
Our hearts and prayers with her family as they grieve their loss of Kat and her vibrant spirit.
R.I.P. peregrina.

Paddy Dillon

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (1996)
Very sad and unexpected news. I met Kat a couple of times at 'talks about walks' events. A keen, dedicated, passionate and inspiring pilgrim.

norelle

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2011 April, 2014 March) San Salvador, Primitivo, Finisterre, Muxia (June 2015) Del Norte (Sept/Oct 2016)
Such sad news. I’ve followed Kat’s blog for years and she has inspired me many times. This year I am walking the Tour de Mont Blanc after reading about her trip with her dad. My condolences to her family and friends. Buen Camino Kat xx

Camino(s) past & future
CF 03,04
88 Temples16
Port. 17
LePuy, Norte, Prim 18
Ingles 18
I am heartbroken! I just stumbled across this news. I may be the pacer pole person from Casa Fernanda... I’m sure there are very many who took her recommendations to heart. She was so very wise and a fantastic guide. So much of the success of our Camino came from her resources she shared on her blog.

:) i'll let myself believe that you are (2017 fits), as i need something to anchor myself after the tragic news. a day later and i still can't stop the emptiness it created. I remember when i started the Camino Portuguese a few messages back and forth with Kat how nice it was be to be following her arrows again. She always had so much time for every queries.

when i get to Santiago next, i think i'll go walk the Variante Espiritual which she loved in her memory.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Cam Frances SJPDP to Santiago ('17): Finisterre ('17); Muxia ('17): Camino Portuguese ('19)
My husband and I are heartbroken learning this devastating news. We journeyed with Kat in spirit as she traveled through Japan, the Norte, Wales, and her latest trek in Turkey. She was key to my preparation for the Camino Portuguese.

What a lover of nature and other cultures. What a historian...what a spirit of adventure. We hope whatever took Kat’s life so prematurely was quick and painless. We shall carry her spirit in our hearts no matter what Camino we traverse or no matter where a daily walk around town may take us.

Kat has had a dedicated following. She had a wide and diverse extended family. She had a knack for connecting with people...young and older!

Our sympathy to Kat’s family and her extensive Camino family. Kat truly followed her heart by “following the arrows.” (followingthearrows.com).

Magwood

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
See signature line for links to daily posts to blogs from many caminos
Truly sad and shocking news. Kat was always ready to help fellow pilgrims and we corresponded on several occasions. A true camino star. Heartfelt condolences to family and friends.

Fromista

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015, 2017)
I am still socked and devastated about the bad news about Kat. She replied with a smiley to my last words to her on 31st of January... I just wrote about her new book... RIP, and condolences to Howard and her family.

Srhhines

Camino(s) past & future
2017 Portuguese
:) i'll let myself believe that you are (2017 fits), as i need something to anchor myself after the tragic news. a day later and i still can't stop the emptiness it created. I remember when i started the Camino Portuguese a few messages back and forth with Kat how nice it was be to be following her arrows again. She always had so much time for every queries.

when i get to Santiago next, i think i'll go walk the Variante Espiritual which she loved in her memory.

That sounds like a great way to remember her. Which direction were you walking when you had the conversation about Kat? The person I was sharing my Kat experiences with was walking the opposite way & so our paths never crossed again.

Camino(s) past & future
CF 03,04
88 Temples16
Port. 17
LePuy, Norte, Prim 18
Ingles 18
That sounds like a great way to remember her. Which direction were you walking when you had the conversation about Kat? The person I was sharing my Kat experiences with was walking the opposite way & so our paths never crossed again.

that would be me. Such a lovely evening, which now will endure even further with the link to Kat.

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
Vibrant young and death are words that are not meant to go in the same sentence. May those who grieve be comforted.

Srhhines

Camino(s) past & future
2017 Portuguese
that would be me. Such a lovely evening, which now will endure even further with the link to Kat.
So glad to reconnect. Nice to see you are still finding many more camino paths. Sad that my camino mentor is no longer with us, but she is still bringing people to their caminos & to each other. Hugs.

NadineK

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2014)
Norte/Primitivo (2015)
San Salvador (2016)
Le Puy-Cahors (2017)
Aragonés (2019)
Reading through these comments shows just how far and wide Kat's reach was- to those she met on the path and to those who followed her journeys and were inspired by her words and photographs. I didn't know Kat, not really, but I felt as if I knew her. She was my Camino friend, and I'll miss her.

I wrote a small post on my blog and wanted to share it here. https://nadinewalks.com/2020/03/05/remembering-a-pilgrim-friend/

JRO

Camino(s) past & future
santiago to muxia

View attachment 70377
May perpetual light shine upon her and upon all the Ways of her family and friends.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles 2016 Camino Portuguese 2017 Considering Invierno late (2020) In lieu of VdlP (2020)

View attachment 70377
I have followed Kat's progress on her numerous Caminos, her Japanese wanderings and her extreme distance trails in North America. I have only recently finished following her blog account of the Lycian Way in Turkey. Her writings are an inspiration and were one of the reasons I chose to do a number of Caminos. My condolences to her family.

Banjo&Matilda

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances October 2018
Oh I am so shocked and saddened by this tragic news. I’ve avidly followed her blog for years and have jumped quickly to listen to any podcasts she features in. An incredible woman taken too soon.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portugues (Oct 2015), Camino Primitivo (Apr 2019)
Heartbreaking news.

I've followed Kat's writing for a while now and downloaded and saved every newsletter. Always hoped I might meet her walking the camino someday.

My condolences to her family.

Galuh

Camino(s) past & future
mei 2016
Rest in Peace, Kat, you send me everything you have done, following the arrows. That inspires me.
Howard gecondoleerd!

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Another message from Kat's husband Howard:

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the beautiful and kind messages, photos and comments. Katrina had an effortless, magical charisma which touched us all and her passing has been felt literally in all four corners of the globe.

Katrina’s funeral will be held on 31 March 2020 in SW London. All are welcome.

This is the expected schedule:

10.30am: arrive at Cambridge Cottage, Kew Gardens. (A Kew Gardens ticket is not required.)
11am to midday: informal celebration of Katrina’s wonderful life.
Midday: Transfer to Mortlake Crematorium.
12.30pm: Crematorium service
~1pm: Transfer back to Cambridge Cottage, for refreshments.

All guests are welcome to explore Kew Gardens, a place Katrina loved to visit.

Gregory Stegman

Camino(s) past & future
9/2014 Camino Frances. 5/2015 Lepuy. next 6/16 ?
I have a tear in my eye. Like so many Pilgrims who corresponded with Kat we were all hoping one day to meet her in person. Her legacy will last more than our lifetime as generations will surely follow the arrows in her footsteps.

FooteK

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to SdC, 2013; Lourdes to SdC, 2015; ??? to SdC (2020)
It's hard to hear that a fellow pilgrim has gone off on a journey we cannot follow. Her generous spirit helped many find their Way. Peace and comfort to her family and many friends.

DharmaBum

Camino(s) past & future
Past:
Pacific Crest Trail
John Muir Trail
Le Puy-SJPdP
Camino Ingles
Future:
SJPdP-SdC (2021)
Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.
Mary Elizabeth Frye

CMD

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria to Santiago next week

God Rest In Peace

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 318 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 92 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 363 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock