• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Keen sandals Newport H2 sizing - sandalista advice needed!

Gobsmacked by the World

Are we there yet?
Time of past OR future Camino
CF SJPP - SDC 2022
CF (most likely) Aug 2024
Hello,
I wish to take the plunge and become a full-fledged, brazenly sock-wearing, sandalista.
I bought a pair of (mens) Keen Newport H2s. I "normally" am a size 10 in one foot and 10.5 in the other...I've bought a pair of 11s to try on at home with socks, and they feel...OK. But maybe just a little tight around the little toes. Or am I just not used to the feeling of socks with sandals? Should I size up to an 11.5? Or would my feet slosh around too much?

I am interested in others experience with sizing of Keens H2s with socks, do they tend to 'size up'?...so thought I'd crowd source opinions here.
For socks I am an Injinji wearer (mainly) if that helps.

I am somewhat prone to blisters, so want to keep my feet dry
Thank you for any guidance, opinions, advice that you provide is appreciated.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Total agreement on the waterproof socks and sandals...while walking in the rain/wet conditions. I developed blisters so bad, they nearly ended my Camino...so switched to my 'back up' Tevas for the rest of the trip (which rescued me) with waterproof socks I brought.
For 'dryness' I was think of the daily grind and sweaty feet contributing to poor foot conditions, allowing them to breath during the day. I am shy about Tevas for the trip though, due to the lack of toe protection.
I need toe protection. I swear...if ONE farmer in Spain leaves out a rake, I will be the one to step on it.
iu

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have also decided to join the socks and sandals brigade and just purchased the Keen Newport ladies version. Tried on in the shop with thick socks and felt pretty good. Have done a small walk ( in the dark to hide my shame) and they were fine. Will test them out on the trails soon enough but feel they give good toe protection and overall foot support. Watch this space….

I am a Keens Newport ambassador, but it comes with a caveat. Sometimes their sizing seems to change - as if each batch is slightly different. The second pair I bought in exactly the same size as the first were much tighter and I ended up getting blisters - I learnt my lesson to go by what feels right, not by what the size says.
Incidentally, this style for women is now seemingly impossible to buy in New Zealand. Does anyone have a good internet supplier who will not require an arm and a leg for shipping? Of course, the problem with this is that you cannot try on first.

Despite of the fact that it is a mission impossible to advice on the shoe sizing for someone else, I have learned that the socks and their features as thickness, friction, elasticity, etc greatly affects how a foot feels in any kind of footwear…
So, the never ending quest for an ideal shoe just gets more and more exciting!
My best pick from sandals was Ecco yak leather ones, unfortunately no more available.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Does anyone have a good internet supplier who will not require an arm and a leg for shipping? Of course, the problem with this is that you cannot try on first.
Zappos.com carries them, ships free here in NA, and has an easy return policy. WOrth a try from a NZ address.

Hello,
I wish to take the plunge and become a full-fledged, brazenly sock-wearing, sandalista.
I bought a pair of (mens) Keen Newport H2s. I "normally" am a size 10 in one foot and 10.5 in the other...I've bought a pair of 11s to try on at home with socks, and they feel...OK. But maybe just a little tight around the little toes. Or am I just not used to the feeling of socks with sandals? Should I size up to an 11.5? Or would my feet slosh around too much?

I am interested in others experience with sizing of Keens H2s with socks, do they tend to 'size up'?...so thought I'd crowd source opinions here.

According to the Keen Footwear fit predictor at (US site):

The Newport H2 runs about one full size small. I input my exact sizing for a my pair of Keen ARROYO II Hiking sandals - a size 12 (US).

My Keen Arroyo II sandals fit very well with two pairs of socks - a microfiber inner liner to wick moisture, and a smart wool outer merino sock for cushioning. The Keen applet returned with a size 13 (US) recommendation for the Newport H2.

From this brief exercise, I conclude that the Newport H2 runs one size small. This is comparing a Keen product to another Keen product.

That said, and as others have suggested, your sock combination will cause the sizing to vary. If the top of your foot is tight, I suggest you try a style with an adjustable strap over the front of the foot.

Try before you buy, and try in your home before you put any wear on them.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Hello,

I've used keen sandals for years great toe protection I'm a 10 but wear a 11 with sandals very comfortable and great for Letting your feet keep cool.personally I like to change into sandals halfway through the day to give break

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.