• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Keen Sandals???

WayWalker63

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Keen sandals to bring on Camino with me next year as my 'evening shoes'. I can't wear Crocs and I want a pair if shoes I could, if necessary, walk in if for some reason my hiking footwear wasn't cutting it.
So my questions are:

1) if you have Keens which style do you have? And how do you like them?

2) do they dry relatively fast if you wear them in the shower? (Don't want to also bring flip-flops)

3) do they run true to size? Small? Large? I wear a women's size 10 US in sneakers and my Keen shoe/boots are a 10 (these will not be my hiking boots), but in other footwear I wear 9/9.5. The sandals I have now are a 9.

Not Keen related, but has anyone brought a pair of those pedicure sandals to wear in the shower? You know the really thin, cheap ones they give you at the nail salon if you don't bring your own flip-flops. It's just a thought that's been popping in my head from time to time when thinking about Camino gear.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My husband has the Newport H2 Keens and he likes them. Downside: They weigh 341 g!! (size 7) so they're not my choice, they take forever to dry, and pick up stones and gravel easily. Upside: Comfortable for hiking / walking around town, and they're sturdy. I agree that the pedi flip-flops might be useful for the shower and their weight is negligible. Don't know how long they'd hold up though.:( I just wear my (Keen) boots for walking, and for evening, the cheapest, lightest flip-flops I can buy and then throw them out before I come home.

Attachments

• newportH2.jpg
    newportH2.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 46
Thanks, Lynn!
I was afraid of the drying time with the Keens. I wouldn't want to walk around town in wet sandals. I was really looking for something that would be a back up for my boots if needed. I really can't walk far in flip flops since they have no support. they kill my feet, legs and back.
Hmm!
I could bring the pedicure sandals just for the shower. They shouldn't be more than a few grams and they'd solve the problem of wet evening sandals.
Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Why not use pool socks for the shower instead? And get a lighter pair of sandals for the evening.:)

Buen Camino!

Pool socks? I've seen pool/water shoes but not socks. I'll google them. I had thought about taking a pair of my Smartwool footies to wear in the shower. I've actually have worn them in the pool here for my water aerobics.
What sandals would be lighter, that I would still be able to walk in if necessary? They've got to have good support and since I'm walking mainly in October I will probably want (want is too strong a word but...) to wear socks with them. Camino Chic, ya know. :cool:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I like something like this as my back-up shoe:
http://www.skechers.com/style/46720/reggae-soundstage/blk
I'm a fan of skechers - very cushy and well-supported.
Pros of a sandal like this:
~ very comfy on feet after walking all day
~ don't take super long to dry from shower (maybe damp going to dinner, but clip to outside of pack next day)
~ can be used as temporary back-up hike shoes if boots are stolen or damaged
~ can wear with Injinji toe socks
~ much better for rest day sightseeing than flimsy flip-flops (how many people get their worst blisters on rest days from town walking in flimsy shoes?)
The con is that they aren't super lightweight - but for me at least, that is outweighed (so to speak :D) by their comfort and multipurpose-ness.
cheers,
Adrienne

I am the Imelda Marcos of Keens.... Take a look at the Keen Clearwater CNX sandals. Real lightweight! Not as much support and cushioning as the Newport so I personally wouldn't be hiking in them but they'd be a great evening shoe.
<-Those are Keen Targhee II's I'm wearing in my avatar.

Look at some of the styles that dr scholls make, I have a pair of wedges that are superlight weight, sturdy, and give support.

The footwear guy at our local outdoor gear store said we needed to take chacos...they are really heavy, but he said for long distances on pavement we should switch out our shoes because boots wear down really fast and aren't suppotive for paved surfaces. The arch support is fantastic in them, they can look casual chic, you can also wear socks with them by pulling the toe strap flat.

My most comfortable shoe is a fit flop, I wear these everywhere, including hiking in colombian mountains. They
Are supportive and very sturdy, but heavy.

Your recovery shoe is just as important as your boot! It is worth leaving something behind to protect your feet.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked from Astorga to Santiago in my Keen Newports. Actually, they were the only shoe I wore for four years straight including a 15 month world trip. I didn't mind walking in them. Obviously. My whole family (two adults, a grandpa and eight kids) all wore Keen sandals for our little Camino jaunt - because we did not have other boots, they did not seem to heavy. Not sure they would be so great as a second pair of shoes - but certainly fine to walk in.

Kiwi-family, I looked up the Keen's Newports online--they look just perfect for my summer 2014 Camino. I need something cushy and comfortable against the heat.
My question is: how were they with small pebbles/twigs getting in? Was that a problem?

I have used Keens twice as backups and they came in very handy once when my hiking shoes got soaked while crossing a stream. They are heavy and bulky in the pack and I will definitely look for another option next year. I still like the idea of having a very light backup instead of flip flops

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have the Newport H2 and found them true to size. They are heavy, but very good as an emergency alternative to your walking shoes/boots. They are so bright and look great in California, but honestly, I felt a little ridiculous in them in Spain (bright turquoise). I brought flip-flops for the shower. I agree with other posts that the Keens take a long time to dry and you get pebbles and dirt in them. My feet were sore and a little swollen, so I found them hard to get on in the evenings. Now that I am home, I love my Keens and wear them every day to walk.

So... on the Camino I saw a lot of women wearing lightweight MaryJane-style Crocs and they looked good for evenings, were easy to slip on, lightweight and quick to dry.

I've looked a the Crocs but truthfully I find the very uncomfortable and not very supportive. I was looking at the Keen Whisper as they seem a little lighter than the other styles.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Z4JWDO/?tag=casaivar02-20

I have some Tevas which I can and do walk in here in Florida. I'd wear them to work if the lab would allow it. I was thinking I might want something with a little more protection for my toes. Maybe, I'll just stuck with them and save the money for the 100 other things I need to buy. They aren't the lightest either but hopefully I can cut back somewhere else.

Thanks every one for your kind suggestions.

I have used Keens twice as backups and they came in very handy once when my hiking shoes got soaked while crossing a stream. They are heavy and bulky in the pack and I will definitely look for another option next year. I still like the idea of having a very light backup instead of flip flops
Let me know if you find something you like.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've looked a the Crocs but truthfully I find the very uncomfortable and not very supportive. I was looking at the Keen Whisper as they seem a little lighter than the other styles.

http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Whisper-Sandal-Coffee-Liqueur/dp/B003Z4JWDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379298101&sr=8-1&keywords=keen whisper sandal - women's

The Keen Whispers are great, and would certainly be a more secure backup shoe to hike in.

Just something else to consider though..... if your second pair of shoes is primarily for evening/town-walking/shower, then an open-backed/open-toed shoe can be a real plus. If you have any blisters, emerging hot spots or foot swelling after a long day's hike, I find that a shoe with max arch support and cushion but minimum strap contact on the foot is my favorite choice.

Kiwi-family, I looked up the Keen's Newports online--they look just perfect for my summer 2014 Camino. I need something cushy and comfortable against the heat.
My question is: how were they with small pebbles/twigs getting in? Was that a problem?
We didn't find it to be a problem. But we wore socks - yeah, I know, socks and sandals. On the odd occasion that a stone gets into a sandal I would stop and flick it out, but that has been perhaps three times in four years! I wonder if this is not such a problem because they are quite high (relatively speaking) off the ground.
Whatever you choose, make sure you try before you buy.

I walked basically my entire second Camino this year in my Keen Whispers when my Salomon boots didn't work out too well for me. Wore them with socks. Got pretty lucky with the weather, but I even walked over a snowy peak at Cruz de Ferro in them. Luckily the trail was clear - dirty socks but still pretty dry!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So far I have only had time to walk the last 100km from Sarria, but did that portion in my Teva Omnium sandals with smartwool socks.
http://www.teva.com/mens-omnium-hik...var_6148_color=BNGC&start=11&cgid=men-sandals
Keens don't work with my arch type for any distance walking and I also found keen sandals to make my feet sweat.
I love my Tevas! They dried quickly and are lighter than Keens, I believe. I only had an occasional rock make it's way into my shoe.

My husband has the Newport H2 Keens and he likes them. Downside: They weigh 341 g!! (size 7) so they're not my choice, they take forever to dry, and pick up stones and gravel easily. Upside: Comfortable for hiking / walking around town, and they're sturdy. I agree that the pedi flip-flops might be useful for the shower and their weight is negligible. Don't know how long they'd hold up though.:( I just wear my (Keen) boots for walking, and for evening, the cheapest, lightest flip-flops I can buy and then throw them out before I come home.

I wore Keens from Astorga to Santiago because of blisters and an infected great toe. I just couldn't face walking in my shoes (which were well broken in) even after my blisters and the infections healed. My feet felt wonderful and had no problems with stones or gravel because i wore socks. However on one rainy day (I swear the rain in Spain only comes down sideways), my feet did get very wet. Should have worn my shoes that day. My feet would have been just as wet, but warm. I'll take Keens with me when I go back in May and will wear them the majority of the time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love Keen Whispers and have lived in them for years. They are not too heavy and provide enough support for carrying a pack on relatively smooth surfaces but a bit soft for rocky trails. Only blister I've ever gotten was during an eight mile hike with a pack on a rough trail when two toes rubbed together. Rocks and dirt get in pretty easily but out again equally easily. They dry fast enough.

I am currently trying Keen Arroyo 2, which are Keen's most serious hiking sole on a quasi sandal upper that accommodates socks, orthotics. The footbed feels great to me - just like my Voyageurs - but I'm not sure the upper is stiff enough to hold the foot in place especially on downhills. I'm taking them to Petra in a few days and will see how it goes.

I took Keens as my extra pair of shoes on one of my Caminos.
I had numerous blisters from my boots, and couldn't wear the Keens because the straps got in the way. So I bought a cheap pair of slip-ons and carried the Keens til I could wear them again.
I also tried the Keens out on the trail later on. I found my feet got hot and sweaty in them ... much better with socks.
I wouldn't buy them again, because I had a lot of trouble with rocks getting in, and I couldn't shake them out without taking off the sandal, which was necessary every hour or so. Taking them off is easy enough, but tightening the elastic when putting them on again takes two hands, which is rather inconvenient when wearing a backpack and carrying hiking poles.
I much prefer Chacos. Although they are slightly heavier than Keens, I never had rock problems with them, they slip on more easily, and they can be adjusted with one hand.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a pair of Keen's - not sure which ones. Yes they are a little on the heavy side, but they are very comfortable; offer toe protection and you can wear them just about anywhere. (Most bars and restaurants don't seem to mind). I don't recall them taking long to dry - but you could tie them to the outside of your backpack if they are still wet in the morning.:cool:

Taking my Keen Whispers for backup and evening (also plan to travel in them), Keen Targhee II boots, and a super-light, throw away pair of flip flops for showers. Pack is still well under 10 pounds. I have cut weight off by being merciless about the weight of clothes because I really love my Keen sandals, it has been good to read here that they can serve as backup on the trail :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I too walked my second camino entirely in my sandals "wild beast " without socks. It was just great.
Specially after walking 1 day with shoes that gave me horrible blisters.

Yea Might have dirty feet :) but better that heavy boots in mid august

I just ordered a pair of the Sketchers recommend by Caplen. I have a pair of Sketchers that I've had for years and loved. I would take them except the uppers are leather but they are very soft and have good arch support. I wouldn't call them light weight but they are lighter than my Tevas. Here's hoping this new style will be the winner, for me at least!
http://www.skechers.com/style/46720/reggae-soundstage/blk
I ordered mine from Amazon Smile, since I have a Prime account for the shipping and I get to support my charity too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M4JOK0/?tag=casaivar02-20

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am currently walking the Frances and I have been alternating between Keens and Merrels and the Keens have been very comfortable with only the occasional stone getting in.On the downside around Carrion the stitching went on one of the straps I can still walk in them but I only use them now in the evening. It may be that the pair that I have had a weakness but I felt that I should let folks know. On my last Frances I had Berghaus boots and 4 years later I still have a sound pair of boots

I'm a Chacos girl! Although they are heavier, I think they make up for their weight with the fantastic arch support, breathability, and comfort. They're great for doubling as a second hiking sandal, for showers, or just for evening wear around the towns. On my Camino, they will definitely be on my packing list!

Crocs now has some Keen-like sandals, probably a bit lighter. They're called Swiftwater and $40 US (although there's usually a coupon code for a decent discount). I'm wearing mine now and they're quite decent so far.
http://www.crocs.com/crocs-men’s-sw...default,pd.html?cid=070&cgid=mens-beach-shoes

Also, Crocs Intl (not US) is now distributing Madrid's 01 Moment 100% biodegradable rubber slip-ons (bright colors...great for showers...weigh nearly nothing). http://www.crocs.co.uk/01M-OneMoment/10186,en_GB,pd.html

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked basically my entire second Camino this year in my Keen Whispers when my Salomon boots didn't work out too well for me. Wore them with socks. Got pretty lucky with the weather, but I even walked over a snowy peak at Cruz de Ferro in them. Luckily the trail was clear - dirty socks but still pretty dry!
Lindsey, what month did you walk? I am going October and might just do the same...

As primary walking shoes, keen makes one model, the Arroyo, I think, that has a heel cup so you can add your own insoles. Those are nice. I wear chaco sandals (switch from my runners to those halfway through the day's walk). They are rubber and webbing, so I can Wade in streams or fountains and they dry immediately. Nice arch support, too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If there is any moisture they pick up rocks real bad. You remember how sharp the rocks/pebbles from Burgos on??

3A32980C-6504-4904-BA28-2549460FDF14.jpeg2A6D7110-83EB-4449-A543-A99DF753DCD2.jpeg I walked the entire Camino in my Keen sandals with non binding socks to allow for swelling. Not one blister....and I have M.S nerve pain in my feet. They now proudly hang on my wall next to my other framed Camino treasures.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would love to do that...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm thinking of getting a pair of Keen sandals to bring on Camino with me next year as my 'evening shoes'. I can't wear Crocs and I want a pair if shoes I could, if necessary, walk in if for some reason my hiking footwear wasn't cutting it.
So my questions are:

2) do they dry relatively fast if you wear them in the shower? (Don't want to also bring flip-flops)

3) do they run true to size? Small? Large? I wear a women's size 10 US in sneakers and my Keen shoe/boots are a 10 (these will not be my hiking boots), but in other footwear I wear 9/9.5. The sandals I have now are a 9.

Not Keen related, but has anyone brought a pair of those pedicure sandals to wear in the shower? You know the really thin, cheap ones they give you at the nail salon if you don't bring your own flip-flops. It's just a thought that's been popping in my head from time to time when thinking about Camino gear.

My camino in April I used Keen they were great but they were heavy. I was recently diagnosed with bad heel spur and I recommend the Birkenstock Gizeh EVA or the Arizona EVa Both are $40 USD Can be found on amazon. they weigh 82 grams. ...they are very comfy and can be worn in the shower and around town. Not recommended for hiking here is a thread i posted with pictures too
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-end-of-day-shower-sandals-—-good-potential.58620/

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My son switched to his Keen leather sandals after the Le Puy route leaving five days in the Pyrenees, the full Norte and a romp to the Ocean ALL done in his Keen sandals.
He sang the whole way!
Splashed in mud puddles and loved them!
I’m entertaining doing the GR10 in them!

I have 2 Keens now - the (unfortunately) discontinued McKenzie, and a new pair of Men's Arroyo IIIs. The latter are a bit heavy, but I like them a lot, so far. If you can get your paws on some Mckenzies, thoguh, they're the perfect shoe -and because thy're meant for water, they dry very fast. And actually, they're neither a shoe nor a sandal, but a bit of both. I've done 4 caminos in them and mourn their demise. (The shoe industry always discontinues or 'improves' the best models, it seems, but that's another story...please don't get me started.:mad:)

I have 2 Keens now - the (unfortunately) discontinued McKenzie, and a new pair of Men's Arroyo IIIs. The latter are a bit heavy, but I like them a lot, so far. If you can get your paws on some Mckenzies, thoguh, they're the perfect shoe -and because thy're meant for water, they dry very fast. And actually, they're neither a shoe nor a sandal, but a bit of both. I've done 4 caminos in them and mourn their demise. (The shoe industry always discontinues or 'improves' the best models, it seems, but that's another story...please don't get me started.:mad:)
Is the new Keen McKenzie II an example of a poorly improved shoe?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

€60,-
Unfortunately, I don't have Keen sandals, but I'd love to share my last purchase. I bought myself some leather sandals LUFFYMOMO. I liked the design, but it turned out it was very comfortable. I've found on one blog https://leather-toolkits.com/reviews/best-leather-flip-flops/. I am very happy with my choice.
Flip flops and hiking sandals serve two completely different functions and on the Camino, unless in the height of summer, leather flip flops would not be a good choice IMO as most people use them going and coming from the shower as well as just relaxing.

So my questions are:

I bought Keen sandals too for my first Camino coming up in June, but they may need to be sacrificed for weight. I really don’t want to exceed 12 pounds.

As for the pedicure sandals… I tried them once in a gym shower and fell on my a** because they are slippery on wet surfaces!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.