• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Keep the Camino tidy! An article on litter left on the way.

Paul McG

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Portugués, S. Salvador, Primitivo, Inglés
Dear All,
The following article [in Spanish] concerns a complaint by the people of Santiago which has arisen owing to the "new habit" of pilgrims leaving items tied to the city sign as they enter from the direction of the Camino Francés. This is not a tradition, and looks set to be prohibited.

The writer of the article likens this "new habit" with the prohibition in Paris [and other places, e.g. Dublin] of placing padlocks on public landmarks.

I think it is worth raising the point that those of us who value the Camino should ensure that respect for The Way and the country/countries that it passes though is paramount. Leaving items tied to signs and railings in Santiago is unwelcome. The burning of boots has also been remarked upon as a problem in Finisterre.

Can we help spread the word that the Camino is not a place to leave unwanted items? Keep the Camino tidy!

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...sociacion-cidade-vella/0003_201707S2C3993.htm

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think that things such as cairns, crosses, and genuine pilgrim shrines are part of the Camino and I must say I found them to be moving in many regards - especially the field of memorial cairns near Viana. But I agree that the use of civic signage [for want of a better term] as a platform for leaving behind boots/scarves/flags etc. is an intrusion into the lives of the people of those cities.

When I read about things like this, I begin to understand how I was given such short shrift when I last entered into Santiago. There is a real risk that the Camino is becoming seen as just another form of tourism.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
"There is a real risk that the Camino is becoming seen as just another form of tourism" quoting @Paul McG (I don't know how to "quote" part of a post without copying and pasting:()

I believe it is a reality that the Camino pilgrimage route (especially the CF) is a tourism destination for many. It is also a nice long walk for others and a pilgrimage for some. I don't think there is anything that we can do to change that evolution. As for tidiness, I suspect that you are preaching to the choir, at least I hope that is the case.

I think that things such as cairns, crosses, and genuine pilgrim shrines are part of the Camino
It begins with the "stackers" who put rocks, trash, boots, and twigs on the mojones. Like graffiti, it says "I was here." Once the threshold is crossed, the gates are opened! Be an "unstacker," and clear the tops of mojones as you pass by (and pick up a water bottle now and then). :)

cher99840 - I know what you mean. But I also think that the people of Santiago are soon going to see all pilgrims as one and the same - and that means we will all be taken for tourists. Certainly, I do not think that people there view pilgrims as being on any sort of pilgrimage. When I last arrived in the Cathedral square, just as I set foot in the place, some students rushed up to me with a microphone and asked "What do you think about Brexit?!" I had just walked from Lisbon. Even now I cannot articulate the emotions I felt at that point, but as cosmic jokes go it was a pretty sick one.

Perhaps if pilgrims were viewed as people coming to the final moments of a pilgrimage, this kind of thing would not happen. But when so many pilgrims act like tourists, am I surprised that I was seen as just another tourist with no serious reason to be in Santiago?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We as a group have been quite clear that the Camino is open to all regardless of motivation - it is for those who want a long walk, a good period of exercise, and those who are pilgrims in the traditional sense of the word. The degree to which all who walk the Camino may be perceived by others as just messy tourists is not a problem of pilgrims or walkers, but a problem with those who have the perception.

Though I am a strong supporter of making the Camino welcoming to all, I remain a purist of sorts. All are not pilgrims and that is by one's personal choice. It is up to the pilgrim and the walker to participate in the Camino with a high degree of manners, thoughtfulness, and respect for the host nations. We don't litter, we don't put graffiti anywhere, we enter into the Camino world and we leave no trace behind. However, we take with us the memories and lessons learned.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Tourism
In 2011, Galicia welcomed almost 9.5 million visitors, consolidating its position as one of the leading tourist destinations in Spain. Although the tourism industry took longer to flourish in Galicia than in Spain’s eastern regions, the number of visitors that travel to Galicia is growing by the year, thanks to distinguishing values such as the Way of St. James, with destination Santiago de Compostela, and the quality and authenticity of Galician cuisine.

With facilities to accommodate 123,885 travellers, Galicia has an extensive and varied offer of hotels, hostels and guesthouses, over one hundred (115) campsites (for over 34,793 travellers) and 593 Rural Tourism accommodations. This potential positions Galicia as the fourth Spanish region in terms of the number of hotel establishments, behind the Balearic Islands, Andalusia and Catalonia, and the seventh in Spain in terms of the number of rooms (behind the aforementioned autonomous communities, the Canary Islands, Valencia and Madrid). Pontevedra is the fifth Spanish province in terms of hotel establishments.

In 2011 there were 183,378 pilgrims, so the "tourists" represent over 98% of the visitors to Santiago. Pilgrims deserve to be respected as much as anyone, but they should not feel that the city is theirs alone!;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Tourism
In 2011, Galicia welcomed almost 9.5 million visitors, consolidating its position as one of the leading tourist destinations in Spain. Although the tourism industry took longer to flourish in Galicia than in Spain’s eastern regions, the number of visitors that travel to Galicia is growing by the year, thanks to distinguishing values such as the Way of St. James, with destination Santiago de Compostela, and the quality and authenticity of Galician cuisine.

With facilities to accommodate 123,885 travellers, Galicia has an extensive and varied offer of hotels, hostels and guesthouses, over one hundred (115) campsites (for over 34,793 travellers) and 593 Rural Tourism accommodations. This potential positions Galicia as the fourth Spanish region in terms of the number of hotel establishments, behind the Balearic Islands, Andalusia and Catalonia, and the seventh in Spain in terms of the number of rooms (behind the aforementioned autonomous communities, the Canary Islands, Valencia and Madrid). Pontevedra is the fifth Spanish province in terms of hotel establishments.

In 2011 there were 183,378 pilgrims, so the "tourists" represent over 98% of the visitors to Santiago. Pilgrims deserve to be respected as much as anyone, but they should not feel that the city is theirs alone!;)

falcon269 - really interesting! :) Can I ask where you found out about this?

It begins with the "stackers" who put rocks, trash, boots, and twigs on the mojones. Like graffiti, it says "I was here." Once the threshold is crossed, the gates are opened! Be an "unstacker," and clear the tops of mojones as you pass by (and pick up a water bottle now and then). :)
Haha! I thought I was the only unstacker! So nice to know I have company. ;):):):)

Why on earth do people think their passage anywhere deserves to be marked? Why can't people leave things as they have found them for others to expererience the same thing.

Leave things as you found them. Live the Camino in your heart and head, a please check your ego as you step on the Camino not forcing others to endure signs of your presence. Because all these stack, twigs, graffitis, boots, are just that: expression of one's sens of self importance.

I frankly think Spain could create a few new jobs by having people walk the Caminos (well, the Frances mostly since that's where the disaster is) amongst us tourists and make us pock up up our trash, no poo in the bushes, ring our bicycle bells, and rid us of any sort of marking instruments. And we can pretend they are there to make "pilgrims" feel saffer .o_O:cool:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
But when so many pilgrims act like tourists, am I surprised that I was seen as just another tourist with no serious reason to be in Santiago?
The people you see in Santiago, and along trail are mostly tourists. Some are just there for the beauty of the city, will visit the monuments and will move on to other cities. They act in Santiago as they would in Madrid, Paris or London, and why not. Santiago is jist another beautiful city for them.

Those you call pilgrims acting like tourists are also just tourists, even if you have seen them walking along the trail. Very few pilgrims these days.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Way has been there for years and decades and centuries and our presence is just a blink of an eye. My footprints will be gone in a matter of hours. I have a feeling that all the graffiti, stickers, shoes even the crosses on the fences etc are a small effort on rebelling on our insignificance. I don't mean to say I like it, but I do understand it a bit. On the other hand, I must say it was rather pleasant to hit Santiago from the Portuguese route. Much less trash, much less graffiti and stuff. There was actually so little trash that a few times I picked up some cans and wrappings and carried them to the next village and actually felt like I could make a difference. I'm a Finn living in Germany and whenever I saw any trash that yelled out "Germany" (like empty Tempo- ie Kleenex-packages), I quickly cleaned them away. I would have done the same with any Finnish trash, but never saw any. Well, I never saw any Finns! On the CF it seemed hopeless. I actually never picked up anybody else's trash there, just felt bad. People, our tiny, fleeting moments on this earth do matter! But we do want to be remembered, we do want to leave our tiny, weak footprints that actually matter. Instead of trash, let's leave caring, kindness, love, acceptance, love. (Yeah, yeah, I do know... preaching to the choir...)

Tourist office of Galicia and the Pilgrim Office.
Our 2017 German Camino guidebook still claims tourism is not economically very important for Galicia. I found it a bit odd, because you don't really see so much obvious tourism anywhere else on the Camino as in Galicia.

I would also like to bring to attention, the opposite phenomenon of removing 'physical souvenirs' from the Camino.

One of the delights of the last one hundred or so kilometres of the Camino Frances into Santiago, is the mileage posts with neat brass plaques with a 'kilometres' left to walk on it. MOST of these are missing, souvenired by selfish egotistical thoughtless idiots.

It is not only a disgrace that they are missing, however it is actually dangerous.

My companion and I were walking in a deep forest, alone, in the pouring rain when she tripped by getting her walking pole entangled in a branch which had fallen in front of us. ( This is not the time or place to tout Pacer Poles yet nevertheless there is an advantage to not having your wrist fixed into the apparatus with an inflexible strap...for another discussion maybe) She fell, severely injured arm and in intense pain and in dire straights. I had had the foresight to put the Spanish emergency number into my phone ( you would be amazed at how your brain goes to mush in an emergency and I could NOT remember the names of the Spanish villages we had recently passed through.) After having waited many minutes for an English speaking responder, they finally asked me what had the last brass 'mileage' plaque said, to which I replied...'they have all been stolen'. Silence and frustration, on the other end. It was lucky that the emergency, whilst severe enough, was not life threatening. My poor companion however was in terrible pain, nauseous and passing out.

For those interested in the outcome, the Camino provided and some Spanish speaking pilgrims at last arrived on the scene and between us we were able to move my friend towards a road at the end of the forest trail and we were able to flag down a Spanish farmer who drove us to a convenient medical centre from where she was transported to Santiago hospital by ambulance for proper diagnosis and treatment. I think Kanga mentioned that our Camino was not 'straightforward'!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dear All,
The following article [in Spanish] concerns a complaint by the people of Santiago which has arisen owing to the "new habit" of pilgrims leaving items tied to the city sign as they enter from the direction of the Camino Francés. This is not a tradition, and looks set to be prohibited. ....
Can we help spread the word that the Camino is not a place to leave unwanted items? Keep the Camino tidy!
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...sociacion-cidade-vella/0003_201707S2C3993.htm

Thank you; thank you; thank you. Your post has highlighted an issue that has (imho) totally trashed parts of the Camino. Two places that come to mind is (1) about 200 metres before the old church N.S. del Poyo (between Torres del Rio and Viana); & the Cruz de Ferro.
The are approaching the old church looked more like a garbage pit (I will publish a photo). My fellow pilgrim thought I had, had some sort of seizure I was so incensed. As for the area around the Cruz, well those of you who get my FB tales will know how unhappy I was. I was almost in tears, I just left my stone and carried on (not even a photo).

Attachments

• 158.JPG
    158.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 47
I would also like to bring to attention, the opposite phenomenon of removing 'physical souvenirs' from the Camino.

One of the delights of the last one hundred or so kilometres of the Camino Frances into Santiago, is the mileage posts with neat brass plaques with a 'kilometres' left to walk on it. MOST of these are missing, souvenired by selfish egotistical thoughtless idiots.

It is not only a disgrace that they are missing, however it is actually dangerous. .....
After having waited many minutes for an English speaking responder, they finally asked me what had the last brass 'mileage' plaque said, to which I replied...'they have all been stolen'. Silence and frustration, on the other end. It was lucky that the emergency, whilst severe enough, was not life threatening. My poor companion however was in terrible pain, nauseous and passing out.!
Thanks Tigger - another of my "bug bears". I did manage to take a photo of the mileage (kilometerage???) plaque showing 100.743 (or thereabouts), but yes almost ALL the following 20 or 30 plaques have been stolen. Who in their right mind would take one of these - they are valueless except to those pilgrims (and ordinary travellers) who need emergency assistance.
So if you are a pilgrim who has stolen one of these plaques how about sending it back - I am sure the Pilgrim House will forward any such plaques received from a penetant pilgrim.

Our 2017 German Camino guidebook still claims tourism is not economically very important for Galicia. I found it a bit odd, because you don't really see so much obvious tourism anywhere else on the Camino as in Galicia.

That was in the past. Now tourism is economically important for Galicia
12% GDP 11% employment.
The Camino has to do with this. Not for the number of pilgrims but for the promotion that represents.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
leaving Pamplona in May this year was where we first noticed that some of the clam shells set into the pavements had been removed, presumably stolen. It was sad to see, as well as the graffiti and the false arrows. The real shocker was the toilet paper everywhere. One group of young girls told us it was biodegradable so not a problem. we picked up quite a lot, using a packet over our hands but it soon became obvious that we were wasting our time. Besides those irritations my first Camino was wonderful.
Loved the country, the people, and the cherries.

The real shocker was the toilet paper everywhere.

The toilet paper and faeces along the route are certainly unpleasant and unnecessary. However I personally find the graffiti and the mementos strewn along the Caminos even more offensive. The toilet paper at least stems from a genuine urgent and universal human need - though one which could be met more considerately. There is no such justification for self-indulgent vandalism and littering.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back