• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Keep warm and safe people!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not very warm here in sunny Dorset either. Doesn't stop me walking though.
Cold wind stopped us this morning. At least we don't have deep snow (yet). The rtve.es website shows the depth of snow and lists the roads and passes where snow chains are mandatory or they are closed to traffic. Seems that nearly all the Caminos are affected somewhere and one photo showed snow on the beach on the north coast.
As @SabineP says, stay warm and safe - and if need be stay where you are for an extra day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Our prep for the Camino has been severely hampered by the very cold winter in the northeastern USA...between the ice, snow, winds and low temperatures we have had to train on treadmills for hills and then shopping malls and huge discount stores to find hard surfaces. Some days we have gone to 3 different stores and counted 4000 steps in each to get in 6 Miles on hard surfaces. Then we have been walking around the house with our backpacks on for an hour a day. Best we can do right now. Leaving in two weeks!

Last edited:
Weather is one of those unpredictable aspects of the pilgrimage. I do enjoy walking in cold weather but I really enjoyed my last Camino, on the Madrid in the autumn, when my rain-gear never came out of the pack.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Our prep for the Camino has been severely hampered by the very cold winter in the northeastern USA...between the ice, snow, winds and low temperatures we have had to train on treadmills for hills and then shopping malls and huge discount stores to find hard surfaces. Some days we have gone to 3 different stores and counted 4000 steps in each to get in 6 Miles on hard surfaces. Then we have been walking around the house with our backpacks on for an hour a day. Best we can do right now. Leaving in two weeks!
Go easy, this is not an endurance event. I live in Boston and walk about 3 miles daily, 1 or 2 Saturdays I go out there for 10 miles and call it day. Walked francais in 2016. No problem, prepping for el Norte in early May. Ultreia

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Go easy, this is not an endurance event. I live in Boston and walk about 3 miles daily, 1 or 2 Saturdays I go out there for 10 miles and call it day. Walked francais in 2016. No problem, prepping for el Norte in early May. Ultreia
I’m glad that your training plan works for you! We have walked enough to know that we require the ability to do abt 10 kilometers a day as prep...speed is not a factor. When we can do 4 consecutive days with no aches and pains we are ready. We are in the senior set now and preparation, for us, is really important, especially walking on hard surfaces. We go slow, start early, eat well,and get lots of sleep on our way! As I consistently state, know thyself! Good luck with el Norte:):)

Last edited:
Several weeks ago there was frozen sea foam flooding the beach in Biarritz, today my friends are reporting snow on the beaches.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Meantime, out on the Meseta, it´s sunny blue skies and 4 degrees... perfect walking weather!

I'm finally back at my real home after 3 years in a temp one (and into a brand new and far more cosy and comfortable den), and today got back into training (at last !!!) on the short little section of the local Rome/Santiago Camino that I love so much ...

And yeah, sunny blue skies and 4 degrees here too !!! :cool:

Last edited:
When we can do 4 consecutive days with no aches and pains we are ready

I'm very glad it's that easy for you, last time for me though took over a year's worth of some occasionally pretty intense prep (total probably about 1200-1500 K), including quite a few 20-40 K runs, some of them at sub zero °C (my 40K January walk to Dijon on a bad knee through fields and Burgundy vineyards and daringly through a 15K section of lonely desert forest wilderness, on a tight schedule ensuring being able to get the last bus back, being particularly memorable) -- even with all that, it still took about 5 weeks after I started to get my average daily Camino speed up towards 20 or so ...

aaaah well, what goes around comes around ; I've been one of the fastest pilgrims, one of the most average speed, and one of the slowest --- all of these speeds have been marvellous in their own way !!! ;)

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm very glad it's that easy for you, last time for me though took over a year's worth of some occasionally pretty intense prep (total probably about 1200-1500 K), including quite a few 20-40 K runs, some of them at sub zero °C (my 40K January walk to Dijon on a bad knee through fields and Burgundy vineyards and daringly through a 15K section of lonely desert forest wilderness, on a tight schedule ensuring being able to get the last bus back, being particularly memorable) -- even with all that, it still took about 5 weeks after I started to get my average daily Camino speed up towards 20 or so
aaah well, what goes around comes around ; I've been one of the fastest pilgrims, one of the most average speed, and one of the slowest --- all of these speeds have been marvellous in their own way !!! ;)
We leave early and most people pass us on the way...starting off slow and limiting our distance to no more than 15km any day the first week really helps us ease into it. The slow speed helps prevents a lot of stress, injuries and blisters early on! We try also to take time to breathe in the beauty of the moments. Sometimes in a 20 km day we stop 4 or 5 times - we have the time.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back