• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Keep your head up, keep your heart strong!

dee_smurf

Hi all, I am just on my last night on the bus from finisterre back to Santiago before I go home. I just wanted to share a little with you all.
I was a very nervous, first time, solo traveller before I began this adventure! Little did I know at the beginning all that would experience on this camino! This is such a special special place.
I have spent more time alone than I have probably before in my life. I also met some very special people. I heard that the camino provides, and boy it does just that! Emotionally, mentally and physically. I have cried as laughed many times, I have walked singing out loud and swinging my stick and not worrying who heard me :) I walked in severe pain (tendinitis to my knee and ankle...which I still have!) and somehow always with a smile on my face! This camino for me has been a wake up call! I regret to say that I don't think I appreciated all I have or have really lived my life prior to this trip. All that has been in my head is 'Life begins after the Camino' and I can't wait to experience it fully!
The one song that also got me through a lot was this... http://yout.be/ADP65wbBUpc
Keep your heart strong xox
Burn camino to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Love love love!!! Posts like this.
You are awesome!!
Thank you for sharing.

Thank you :) I sometimes see a bit of negativity on this forum but for me the camino just reinforced my belief in the good nature in all people! From pilgrims to albergue owners, to the locals who walked with me many times until they were sure I was on the right path again (with me speaking no Spanish and them no English!) it's amazin how you can communicate so well with a complete language barrier :) the camino is life changing and my heart feels fuller going home, and a little bit of my heart will be left here also! I CANT STOP SMILING!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had a moment with Spanish pilgrims where I had a really tough day with my knee and getting lost and was crying the whole way into sarria and right up to my bed in the albergue. The Spanish guys seen me crying and after a while after I settled we done the 'charades'. I met them a number of times along the way, all the time making noises and hand gestures, but when I queued up to get my compostela I felt so emotional! Everyone there had someone to share the moment with, and I was alone. I was so proud but wanted to share with someone. As I hobbled out of the pilgrim office...at the end of the queue I heard clapping....it was the Spanish guys :) it was very heart warming! Much love to those guys!

Hi all, I am just on my last night on the bus from finisterre back to Santiago before I go home. I just wanted to share a little with you all.
I was a very nervous, first time, solo traveller before I began this adventure! Little did I know at the beginning all that would experience on this camino! This is such a special special place.
I have spent more time alone than I have probably before in my life. I also met some very special people. I heard that the camino provides, and boy it does just that! Emotionally, mentally and physically. I have cried as laughed many times, I have walked singing out loud and swinging my stick and not worrying who heard me :)
Hi Dee,

Thanks for sharing....I loved the song btw. I am about to embark on my first pilgrimage in a few days. You are spot on re the negativity on this forum at times..it can really become a cyber-ground to tear shreds off another. But I guess, how can we expect people to be any different. The Camino is but a microcosm of the world; the good, the bad, the ugly and all in its glorious wonder in between! But like you have done, you have sought to seek the positive out of it. I look forward to singing my heart out and swinging my stick too...although I am kind of un-co so I could end up with an injury ;)

Enjoy your post-Camino experience. x

Ditto for me, dear Dee! I loved, smiled at and thoroughly enjoyed the song/video clip - so much emotion.. and fun! Wow, how I'd love to tumble down that hay-sided waterslide.. and not only to see the dumbfounded stares of passing cows ;) Thank you so much for sharing that AND your words. I hope the Camino after-effects carry you through the may days and months ahead...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well done, Dee! If you are alone in Santiago today (Monday, the 9th), let me know...I am here, also alone, last night before heading to Madrid. I'd love to hear some of your stories!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am a fifty year old man setting out in July. I have led an indulgent life...pretty selfish...completely useless at practical things...you get the picture. I just know I have to do the Camino now. I am %*@^^@!G myself about it. One moment excited the next thinking of reasons to postpone. I have read a lot of conflicting opinions on this site. There are some really inspiring people on here and yes there are some pretty negative ones as well...but I read your post this morning and felt a surge run through me...I felt 19 again...just off backpacking around the med. You are an inspiration young lady....thankyou.

Thank you :) I sometimes see a bit of negativity on this forum but for me the camino just reinforced my belief in the good nature in all people! From pilgrims to albergue owners, to the locals who walked with me many times until they were sure I was on the right path again (with me speaking no Spanish and them no English!) it's amazin how you can communicate so well with a complete language barrier :) the camino is life changing and my heart feels fuller going home, and a little bit of my heart will be left here also! I CANT STOP SMILING!!
Good for you! My wife referred to it as the "Camino glow" when my oldest son and I came home, and she can still tell when I'm contemplating the next one with my middle son.

Hang in there on the forum itself. The Camino (and this forum) isn't a microcosm of the larger world; it's actually a glimpse into the better side of humanity. Yes, there are times when there is real conflict on the forum (as there can be on the Camino itself), but considering the posts to fights ratio, it's pretty rare by comparison to the pettiness that often fills the average workplace and many other forums (especially when one considers the cultural and religious differences all smashed into this one forum). Differences of opinions are quite common, but they're generally respectful and regularly end in agreement to disagree and encouragement to "walk your own walk." But, far and away the most common post is good-natured, well-wishing, and offered in genuine interest of helping out fellow pilgrims.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am a fifty year old man setting out in July. I have led an indulgent life...pretty selfish...completely useless at practical things...you get the picture. I just know I have to do the Camino now. I am %*@^^@!G myself about it. One moment excited the next thinking of reasons to postpone. I have read a lot of conflicting opinions on this site. There are some really inspiring people on here and yes there are some pretty negative ones as well...but I read your post this morning and felt a surge run through me...I felt 19 again...just off backpacking around the med. You are an inspiration young lady....thankyou.
When are setting off Tom ? I'm also walking in July, leaving around 7/8th - perhaps our paths will cross.

Ditto for me, dear Dee! I loved, smiled at and thoroughly enjoyed the song/video clip - so much emotion.. and fun! Wow, how I'd love to tumble down that hay-sided waterslide.. and not only to see the dumbfounded stares of passing cows ;) Thank you so much for sharing that AND your words. I hope the Camino after-effects carry you through the may days and months ahead...

Healing pilgrim, it just summed up my experience in one song! All I was searching for was me and I didn't know, and now I walk down this mountain with the strength of the turning tide :) soooooo many great memories!

€46,-
Well done, Dee! If you are alone in Santiago today (Monday, the 9th), let me know...I am here, also alone, last night before heading to Madrid. I'd love to hear some of your stories!

I am so so sorry I only seen this post now! I was in Santiago tonight! I just said goodbye to three of the most amazing people I have ever met tonight! Tears were shed, you would have been a welcome addition to our little camino group :( I hope your camino was everything and more you expected it to be! Xox

Tom go for it!! It is never too late for anyone to start living :) there was an 87 yr old man that I seen a number of times, making his way slow but sure! He was a true inspiration! It is a moment if a lifetime if you have the oppertunity! And it can be a life changing one at that!! All I can say from my experience is there is always other pilgrims that have your back, whether you see them or not, they are there...like little angels :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So glad it all worked out for you Denise, I remember when you first posted in Nov. 2013, you were nervous about the whole thing. You will have great memories.
Now.......... when is the next one? :):)
Haha was I what!!! I was shaking the whole way from the airport at home until Santiago!!! I just said goodbye to really really special people tonight that I only spent two or three days with and my eyes are tearing up thinking about it now. There is something so so special about the camino I cannot put into words! I really never expected to find what I did during this trip! It was a birthday present for myself for turning 30 next month and I have never been so appreciative of what I learnt on this camino for carrying on now into the rest of my life and into my sons life x

I held myself together a lot through my pilgrimage, but when my ten year old daughter, Georgia handed over her passport and I heard that satisfying whump and they handed her her Credential..... I wailed like an Italian grandmother.... I knew I couldn't afford to be indulgent like that in a queue..... so I pulled it all back inside again and walked downstairs to where a number of fellow pilgrims we had walked into santiago with all cheered and cried and laughed and wooped for all the world to see. When we walked into the Irish Pub everyone stood up and applauded Georgia, then she sat with the 81 year old who had walked from Pamplona and we all drank to how wonderfully clever we all were!! You are never alone on the Camino

I really never expected to find what I did during this trip! It was a birthday present for myself for turning 30 next month and I have never been so appreciative of what I learnt on this camino for carrying on now into the rest of my life and into my sons life x

Dee, you are a darling. With that attitude to life you will bring happiness to many.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I held myself together a lot through my pilgrimage, but when my ten year old daughter, Georgia handed over her passport and I heard that satisfying whump and they handed her her Credential..... I wailed like an Italian grandmother.... I knew I couldn't afford to be indulgent like that in a queue..... so I pulled it all back inside again and walked downstairs to where a number of fellow pilgrims we had walked into santiago with all cheered and cried and laughed and wooped for all the world to see. When we walked into the Irish Pub everyone stood up and applauded Georgia, then she sat with the 81 year old who had walked from Pamplona and we all drank to how wonderfully clever we all were!! You are never alone on the Camino

A wonderful picture; I can see it so clearly. How fitting to bring together in celebration of the Camino, a 10 year old and an 81 year old. I am inspired.

I have spent more time alone than I have probably before in my life. I also met some very special people. I heard that the camino provides, and boy it does just that! Emotionally, mentally and physically. I have cried as laughed many times, I have walked singing out loud and swinging my stick and not worrying who heard me :) I walked in severe pain (tendinitis to my knee and ankle...which I still have!) and somehow always with a smile on my face! This camino for me has been a wake up call! I regret to say that I don't think I appreciated all I have or have really lived my life prior to this trip. All that has been in my head is 'Life begins after the Camino' and I can't wait to experience it fully!
The one song that also got me through a lot was this... http://yout.be/ADP65wbBUpc
Burn camino to all!

Absolutely loved the song. I have tears streaming down my face. This is exactly what I want to find out there......You are an inspiration. Just when I get the...."what on Earth are you doing this for" moment I see this. Thank you and blessings in your life. My mantra for today is "Keep your head up, Keep your heart strong!"

Tom go for it!! It is never too late for anyone to start living :) there was an 87 yr old man that I seen a number of times, making his way slow but sure! He was a true inspiration! It is a moment if a lifetime if you have the oppertunity! And it can be a life changing one at that!! All I can say from my experience is there is always other pilgrims that have your back, whether you see them or not, they are there...like little angels :)

Cheers Dee. I am twitching to be off! Over the last twenty years I have forgotten how to connect with people. I've always been a grumpy bugger, my nickname is 'badger' but the last few years since dad died have been horrendous... I have developed a misanthropic side I don't want. I have become a coward... for the first time in years I am about to take the road less taken.

€46,-
When are setting off Tom ? I'm also walking in July, leaving around 7/8th - perhaps our paths will cross.
Should be the same time Gilly. I am training it to the jump off... I love train journeys, time to mull over what the hell you've got yourself into. I live in the welsh mountains so doing a few walks but to be frank my preparation is minimal... I know if I fuss about too much my 'black dog' me will talk myself out of it. Good luck! See you on the Camino!

Gillyweb and tom
I also am beginning July 7 or 8 ...love to meet up with both of you...I have had more inspiration from this forum in the last six months of so than with my spiritual group of ten years...

Should be the same time Gilly. I am training it to the jump off... I love train journeys, time to mull over what the hell you've got yourself into. I live in the welsh mountains so doing a few walks but to be frank my preparation is minimal... I know if I fuss about too much my 'black dog' me will talk myself out of it. Good luck! See you on the Camino!
Tom - it was partly to beat that Black Dog that I suddenly announced out of the blue last year I was off to Spain. I only did the last 120 miles but it was the most incredible 8 days of my life - and I have quite an interesting life anyway. Don't fuss too much, carry as little as possible - realising we all carry too much in life, physically and mentally and emotionally - was one of my great eye openers for me. Throwing away stuff, possessions and fears was so wonderful. Do train a bit if you can in the next three and a half (gulp !!!) weeks. It will help a lot and perhaps prevent injury on the first few days. And most importantly when you start walking - remember to look UP !! Sometimes I would walk for miles before I realised I'd been watching my feet and missing the world around me. After that I would remind myself to always look up and see the world and the people around me. Hope to see you on the way :)
Gillyweb and tom
I also am beginning July 7 or 8 ...love to meet up with both of you...I have had more inspiration from this forum in the last six months of so than with my spiritual group of ten years...
Brenda - hope to see you too. I'm hoping to stay at Orisson on 7th so may see you along the way ? :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And most importantly when you start walking - remember to look UP !! Sometimes I would walk for miles before I realised I'd been watching my feet and missing the world around me. After that I would remind myself to always look up and see the world and the people around me.

Quite true, Gilly. I'm a big fan of looking up (literally...but figuratively works, too, I suppose). I also did the last 120KM, too (the Sarria route), and am heaven bent on doing a long version next summer. I have a bit of a fear of falling, due to falling a bit, so found myself staring at the ground early on...until I figured that if I can't have faith on the CdS, where could I? So, I trusted and looked up and around and only stared at my feet on uphills, when I could convince myself that I wasn't really climbing up, merely putting one foot in front of the other...this micro view gave the appearance of level land, unlike the macro view of looming inclines!

Oh it really truly was! And don't forget to look up when you come home! It's very easy to fall back into routine when you come home, and spend your days 'looking at your feet'. Appreciate all you have at home, because I know I missed a lot! Also found when you look up in the physical sense, a lot more people smile and say hello :) just like on the camino! Spread a wee smile, you don't realise the positive effect it can have :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
...Also found when you look up in the physical sense, a lot more people smile and say hello just like on the camino! Spread a wee smile, you don't realise the positive effect it can have

How very true! Much of my camino day is spent in a chaotic mental mix of personal thanksgiving, worry over the weather or my gut, projected renovation/restoration of a multitude of wayside structures and, the far more social act of simply waving to those that pass by. These include other pilgrims, of course, but also dog walkers, police, bikers, farmers and especially lorry drivers. Such waves exchanged are silent gestures of our shared humanity. ...Now at home I continue to smile and wave to those who pass by our farmhouse.

MM

Oh it really truly was! And don't forget to look up when you come home! It's very easy to fall back into routine when you come home, and spend your days 'looking at your feet'. Appreciate all you have at home, because I know I missed a lot! Also found when you look up in the physical sense, a lot more people smile and say hello :) just like on the camino! Spread a wee smile, you don't realise the positive effect it can have :)

Yes Dee, I've been back now since Oct 2011 and I still smile and say hello to anyone in my vicinity, sidewalks, stores, gas stations ... Always get a return hello, sometimes a smile, sometimes a little shock, sometimes a conversation with a complete stranger. It is a life changer.

And by the way, I loved following your post. I love following posts of young ladies like you, not because I'm a weird pervert (I have 4 grown daughters), it reminds me of a young Korean girl I became good friends with on the Camino, I watched her grow and mature before my eyes as we walked the 32 days to Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back