• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Keep Your Waterproof Jacket Waterproof

• Thread starter Deleted member 43985
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 43985

There has been some very good threads recently about using gear you already own rather than rushing out and buying shiny, and expensive, new gear. I agree. As long as that gear still works properly as it was intended to.

When I bought my first Gor-Tex rain jacket I was ecstatic! I was warm and dry when it was cold and wet. However, it was a short-lived feeling as I noticed over the next year that water kept finding its way inside my jacket more and more. I thought I was sweating too much or the jacket seams or zippers had given up. I also thought I was never supposed to wash it for fear of it losing even more of its waterproof qualities. Turns out I was wrong on all accounts. When I went to replace my jacket I ended up speaking to the owner of the store selling this gear and after a few questions about how I maintained my jacket he talked me out of buying a new jacket (worth lots of money) and into buying a bottle of tech wash and a bottle of DWR (durable water repellency) spray (combine price <$15). Sure enough after I washed and treated my jacket at home it worked as it had when I first bought it with rain beading up on the surface and rolling right off.

I don't use Arc'teryx clothes but found this video and thought it was pretty good at explaining the process of maintaining clothes properly. I hope this helps others who spent good money on a waterproof jacket and thought it would be automatically waterproof for life and were disappointed when it didn't!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Another thing not to forget is that some companies have really amazing warranties for their gear. After 8 years of being worn almost daily for 10 months out of each year for rain and/or wind, the tape along the inner seams of my rain pants was showing wear. I called Marmot to find out if there were any home remedies that could postpone my need for a new purchase and was very pleasantly surprised to receive a replacement free of any charge.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Great video, but with the assumption that everyone has a tumble dryer. Presumably air drying will be equally efficient? Or not?

Great video, but with the assumption that everyone has a tumble dryer. Presumably air drying will be equally efficient? Or not?
My understanding is not. I believe the DWR coating is activated by the heat of the dryer. My suggestion to those without their own dryer would be to go to a commercial laundromat or similar and pay to have your jacket/pants dried. Since one would only do this very occasionally, the benefits should be far outweigh the cost.

Edit: I looked up a few different brands and some do say you can let dry naturally but for best results use the DWR in a dryer. I'll take this to mean that if you don't have access to a dryer you can still get decent results!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks jozero! Any comments from the pros here as to whether it is better to spray on the DWR or use it in the wash cycle? I have a marmot precip that I had almost given up on till I saw this. So I think I will wash and dry in the dryer and then -- wash with DWR or spray with DWR? -- and then dry in the dryer again?

Silly me, I had always assumed that non-dryer drying would be better for the jacket. Looks like my outdoor gear intincts are as good as my technology instincts. Thanks again. Buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks jozero! Any comments from the pros here as to whether it is better to spray on the DWR or use it in the wash cycle? I have a marmot precip that I had almost given up on till I saw this. So I think I will wash and dry in the dryer and then -- wash with DWR or spray with DWR? -- and then dry in the dryer again?

Silly me, I had always assumed that non-dryer drying would be better for the jacket. Looks like my outdoor gear intincts are as good as my technology instincts. Thanks again. Buen camino, Laurie
I'll preface by saying I'm NOT a pro but the products I use follow this protocol:
Step 1: Wash with a capful of Tech Wash per item being treated in warm water with cold rinse.
Step 2: When the cycle is done hang the still damp jacket and spray with the DWR until fully covered. Put in the drying until cooked medium well (or follow manufacturers directions!).
Step 3: test in rain before next Camino :D

I'm sure there are many brands of these products but for what it's worth, I use Grangers and have been very, very pleased with it.
Good luck!

I'll preface by saying I'm NOT a pro but the products I use follow this protocol:
Step 1: Wash with a capful of Tech Wash per item being treated in warm water with cold rinse.
Step 2: When the cycle is done hang the still damp jacket and spray with the DWR until fully covered. Put in the drying until cooked medium well (or follow manufacturers directions!).
Step 3: test in rain before next Camino :D

I'm sure there are many brands of these products but for what it's worth, I use Grangers and have been very, very pleased with it.
Good luck!

As my departure date gets nearer, I am finally focusing on my gear issues. This post has been very helpful, and has showed me that I have been doing all of the wrong things for years. Here is a bit of Marmot-specific detail. I was surprised to find that you should not use liquid detergent to wash your Marmot Precip stuff because it clogs the pores. Either use that Granger wash or a powdered detergent. And dry in a hot dryer. And then comes the waterproofing.

So, I have all the steps down now, but still have a few questions. Do you think that the fact that I have washed my jacket in liquid detergent means I have done irreparable harm? Or will the Grangers wash fix it magically? Is there an advantage to a waterproofing spray over a waterproofing wash?

Thanks guys!

As my departure date gets nearer, I am finally focusing on my gear issues. This post has been very helpful, and has showed me that I have been doing all of the wrong things for years. Here is a bit of Marmot-specific detail. I was surprised to find that you should not use liquid detergent to wash your Marmot Precip stuff because it clogs the pores. Either use that Granger wash or a powdered detergent. And dry in a hot dryer. And then comes the waterproofing.

So, I have all the steps down now, but still have a few questions. Do you think that the fact that I have washed my jacket in liquid detergent means I have done irreparable harm? Or will the Grangers wash fix it magically? Is there an advantage to a waterproofing spray over a waterproofing wash?

Thanks guys!
Exciting times! My thoughts are that you've not done permanent harm. Pores are pores and although certain soap may clog these pores somewhat, I'm sure a good washing with a corrective soap will bring it back to clear pores. Consider that many people sweat profusely in the jackets for years and I'm certain their pores are filled much worse with body oils and still these jackets can be brought back to waterproof.

As to the effectiveness of spray vs. wash-in waterproofing, I lean towards spray only because it seems that close to 100% of the product is actually going (and staying) on the jacket. By default, a wash-in product will coat the surfaces however it seems that much of the product goes down the drain at the end of the wash cycle. I may be wrong in this but it's just how I imagine the process.

Whichever way you go, I hope you'll let us know which you chose and how it tests out before you leave so we can learn a little more as we go!

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here in the UK the brand leader for fabric waterproofing is probably Nikwax. Certainly the easiest to find in most outdoor suppliers. They have a number of different wash-in or spray-on products. I use their combined waterproofing and solar UV resistance spray on my jacket, rain trousers, hat, rucksack and the small tent which I use when walking routes other than the Spanish caminos. I have found it very effective - especially to remedy a serious problem I had with a new, lightweight, cheap but sadly very porous tent.

You definitely need a dryer. I airdried to no avail. Then did it again using the dryer and it worked! Mind you it worked really well on a really old Gortex jacket. On a newer different brand of breathable waterproofing jacket it didn't work as well.

For Altus poncho owners. I wash mine in the washine machine using just warm water, no detergent. Then bang it in the dryer on medium for 45 minutes. Works like a charm.
The surface coating appeared to meld somehow and the surface then appears smooth and looks like new.
Regards
Gerard

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Exciting times! My thoughts are that you've not done permanent harm. Pores are pores and although certain soap may clog these pores somewhat, I'm sure a good washing with a corrective soap will bring it back to clear pores. Consider that many people sweat profusely in the jackets for years and I'm certain their pores are filled much worse with body oils and still these jackets can be brought back to waterproof.

As to the effectiveness of spray vs. wash-in waterproofing, I lean towards spray only because it seems that close to 100% of the product is actually going (and staying) on the jacket. By default, a wash-in product will coat the surfaces however it seems that much of the product goes down the drain at the end of the wash cycle. I may be wrong in this but it's just how I imagine the process.

Whichever way you go, I hope you'll let us know which you chose and how it tests out before you leave so we can learn a little more as we go!

Buen Camino!

Thanks, Jozero, ready to go with the washing and waterproofing but I just wanted to check in to make sure I don't mess this up. I have a question about drying the jacket.

I have two bottles of Grangers. One is for washing, one is for repelling (I take it that means waterproofing and it is a spray).

So I first wash marmot precip jacket in the grangers wash. And then move on to the repel spray. What I don't know is whether I should tumble dry after washing and before spraying (knowing that I will have to have the garmet wet again before spraying the "repel" spray). And one other question is whether, once the jacket is sprayed, I should put it in the dryer or air dry. The Grangers bottle says "allow to dry naturally or tumble dry if garmet care label permits."

I now have two marmot precip jackets, neither more than 4 years old, but neither has a drop of rain protection left in them. I know I am at fault for having washed with liquid soap and then left to air dry, two big mistakes.

I am hopeful I can avoid buying another rain jacket so I want to make sure I am as close to correct as possible as I use the Grangers.

Thanks to Jozero and anyone else who might be able to help. Laurie

Thanks, Jozero, ready to go with the washing and waterproofing but I just wanted to check in to make sure I don't mess this up. I have a question about drying the jacket.

I have two bottles of Grangers. One is for washing, one is for repelling (I take it that means waterproofing and it is a spray).

So I first wash marmot precip jacket in the grangers wash. And then move on to the repel spray. What I don't know is whether I should tumble dry after washing and before spraying (knowing that I will have to have the garmet wet again before spraying the "repel" spray). And one other question is whether, once the jacket is sprayed, I should put it in the dryer or air dry. The Grangers bottle says "allow to dry naturally or tumble dry if garmet care label permits."

I now have two marmot precip jackets, neither more than 4 years old, but neither has a drop of rain protection left in them. I know I am at fault for having washed with liquid soap and then left to air dry, two big mistakes.

I am hopeful I can avoid buying another rain jacket so I want to make sure I am as close to correct as possible as I use the Grangers.

Thanks to Jozero and anyone else who might be able to help. Laurie
Great questions, Laurie.
When I use Grangers I wash in the Tech Wash using one cap of wash per piece. This step removes all the oils and clears the jacket pores for maximum breathability. Then while still damp I spray to ensure full coverage with the DWR spray. Then while still damp I put in the dryer and dry at the highest heat the piece will allow per washing instructions. This is the important part because it is the heat that bonds the DWR to the jacket and gives the most protection.
I hope you have the same results I've had!
Good luck,
Jordon

Great questions, Laurie.
When I use Grangers I wash in the Tech Wash using one cap of wash per piece. This step removes all the oils and clears the jacket pores for maximum breathability. Then while still damp I spray to ensure full coverage with the DWR spray. Then while still damp I put in the dryer and dry at the highest heat the piece will allow per washing instructions. This is the important part because it is the heat that bonds the DWR to the jacket and gives the most protection.
I hope you have the same results I've had!
Good luck,
Jordon

^^^ that's what I do too. Seems to work.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A tumble dryer is certainly the easiest and perhaps the most effective way of bonding the water proofing solution to the outer fabric but it really isn't essential .
You do need heat to make the solution bond and this can be applied with a normal iron pressing the surfaces carefully on a firm surface . Use a mild to mid heat [ test a small area first ] don't use the steam facility , be careful around seams and fasteners and be patient .
This can also ' reactivate ' the surface coating if it is not too worn , the coating that remains but is leaking is like a cracked plastic film . Heat will re amalgamate this coating if it is still there and the coat then doesn't need re proofing until the next time it leaks .
Air drying won't work for most re coatings although there is one produced that claims that it does .
https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/grangers-clothing-repel-waterproofer-300ml/grf74

My Marmot precip jackets seem to have taken the Grangers well. I followed the recommended steps, first wash in the machine with Grangers Wash, then hang and spray with Grangers Repel, then dry in the dryer.

I haven't tried the "stand in the shower" approach, to test them, but have sprayed them with water from the hose. The water is beading on the surface, which seems to be the tell-tale sign. Very grateful for all the help.

This seems to be my "gear year." Still have to fix my hiking poles and figure out the sleeping bag.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.