• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Keeping Backpack etc. safe

Missing Mike

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2016
I am used to traveling to hostels in Europe where each bunk had a place or locker to keep your stuff safe (you provide the lock). I traveled alone and never had any problems. How does that work on the Camino? I would like to be able to put my pack down somewhere safe and maybe check out the town that I am in or something.

Please advise and thank you!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Most of us have a system for carrying our essential valuables (passport, wallet, smartphone) and keep them on our person at all times - a security belt or neck pouch or zipped pockets. I don't worry about anything else.
I had my bra and nickers stolen off a clothes line in the camping ground at Santiago de Compostela. The loss of the bra was annoying because my size is hard to find. But otherwise, it is just stuff.

Some places had lockers.

Most places did not. Your only protection comes from controlled access (usually non-existent) of the albergue.

So don't leave anything of value. So what then if someone steals your grotty socks.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Do people usually mark backpacks etc with their name?

No. But I paint mine up so it looks so ridiculous nobody would want it. :p

Just keep anything you can't afford to lose on your body (passport, money, cards, electronics) and don't worry about the rest.
Never leave anything you can't replace in your pack. Then go have fun.
Thought stealing is becoming more of a problem with more people walking, it doesn't happen enough to worry about it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No, backpacks are just left on the floor by the bed to which you are either assigned or have chosen. 99% of your bunk mates in the Albergue are fellow pilgrims and often familiar faces, and really aren't very interested in your stuff! Theft is therefore rare on the Camino, but don't tempt fate and carry your valuables with you at all times, even to the shower!

I always keep an osprey ultra light stuff daypack in my larger pack. If I can safely leave my main backpack in the place I'm staying, it's nice to have something to carry my valuables around in. If stop in a cafe, I won't leave my backpack outside where I can't see it. But if I do enter a cafe with my backpack, I'll always take it off, so I don't knock anybody over when I turn around. Some people I know bring a small chain and lock with them and lock their backpack to their bed or pipe as a deterrent. I think most Alburgues are safe tho. Use your best judgement.

Only in the cities be vigilant as hole packs were taken. They were primarily after the electronics.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not only will you end up leaving your pack unattended in alberques, you will undoubtedly leave it unattended outside of churches, bars, etc. Before long, you'll be scanning the line of packs outside bars and in albergues to see who is around ;) Leaving your pack is only really a risk in cities, as mentioned. You'll always want to take your valuables with you though.

I carried a few plastic zap straps to secure my pack to a chair, table or bed. But you must then carry a knife so YOU can remove them! I only used these once, but VERY lightweight security. If leaving my pack outside I attach to a walking partners pack with my pack chest clips. Nobody is going to walk away with two packs. My valuables are in my waist kit. Not my pack, so that's not an issue.

I carried a few plastic zap straps to secure my pack to a chair, table or bed. But you must then carry a knife so YOU can remove them! I only used these once, but VERY lightweight security. If leaving my pack outside I attach to a walking partners pack with my pack chest clips. Nobody is going to walk away with two packs. My valuables are in my waist kit. Not my pack, so that's not an issue.

I wouldn't leave my backpack unattended, but those are good suggestions.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back