• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Keeping Contents of Pack Dry

lpscheid

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2019
Greetings - I'm starting my first Camino in SJPdP on April 1. I'm planning on bringing a pack with a rain fly, rain jacket, and a poncho that can go over me and the pack (still debating a bit on this). Should I pack my sleeping bag, clothes, etc. each in their own dry bags (Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sacks) or in just packing cubes/compression sacks? Or should I just put a large trash bag in the bottom and do my best to line my bag each day when I pack? Thanks so much for your help! Lindsey

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I put my passport and other important items in a small dry bag, but let my Altus poncho cover me and my pack in the rain.
Depends on when you walk. Late spring and summer you can get away with being wet yourself and as long as you keep your pack dry you’ll be okay. Late fall and winter not so much.
It can’t hurt to have a trash bag (Or a large dry bag $€£) to cover your clothes, if you feel you need it, or just want to be sure to have dry clothes. I would, myself, throw the packing cubes away, but to each her own.

Buen Camino,
Paul

What about just using a jacket and rain cover and leaving the poncho out? I'm attached to the rain jacket as another comfortable layering piece for warmth.

The rain cover is no guarantee of keeping the pack dry. I love using a poncho, and have for thousands of miles of backpacking. I like being able to pull it out from a side pocket and slip it on over me and my pack without needing to take my pack off. If the day has a lot of off and on sprinkles and rain, that repetitive on and off gets old, fast. It works as a complete cover so that the shoulder harness and back of the pack are not exposed to the rain.

If you use a rain jacket and pack cover, then use a liner for your bag, something like a large heavy duty garbage bag. Or better yet, a trash compactor bag. It will keep your contents dry. You could also use individual waterproof stuff sacks if you want to skip a bag liner. Just do not depend on the rain cover. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
anything will work...
seen people use bread bags, store bags, ice cube bags, etc...even condom..comdoms...yes they are a old hikers trick to keep things dry.

Pack cover works to a point. But when walking day in and day out in the rain, especially heavy rain, gonna get your goodies wet in your pack even with a pack cover.

So bag it up inside the bag.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m not a fan of ponchos, I prefer rain pants & jacket. I can use them for additional warmth off trail if needed, wear while my clothes are being washed, etc. I am also not a fan of pack covers. It’s dry compression bags for me. That said, to each their own. Use what works for YOU. The Camino isn’t a remote wilderness hike. You will have multiple opportunities to change or add gear if something just isn’t working for you.

What about just using a jacket and rain cover and leaving the poncho out? I'm attached to the rain jacket as another comfortable layering piece for warmth.
I've never seen a rain cover that will keep the section of the pack nearest your body dry (spent 5 minutes trying to decide what to call it: front? back? the bit where the straps attach?). I take them out of their little pocket and use it to store a poncho.

I don't often disagree with @trecile but the OP is off in April. I think a light rain jacket would be useful - imagine going out to dine in the pouring rain and having to wear one's poncho - huge fashion faux pas unless one has one's black tie to hand;)

Greetings - I'm starting my first Camino in SJPdP on April 1. I'm planning on bringing a pack with a rain fly, rain jacket, and a poncho that can go over me and the pack (still debating a bit on this). Should I pack my sleeping bag, clothes, etc. each in their own dry bags (Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sacks) or in just packing cubes/compression sacks? Or should I just put a large trash bag in the bottom and do my best to line my bag each day when I pack? Thanks so much for your help! Lindsey

Hi Lindsey,
In answer to your question. I prefer to pack clothing items, other bits and pieces and my sleeping bag in separate Sea to Summit sacks. That way I only need to remove one sack at a time to get out what I want.

In addition, I find this method easy to manage and get used to, which can be important for some folks in the early days of a Camino. I've lost count of the times I've seen people empty and entire pack to find one small item or piece of clothing.

Buen (sensible-packing) Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've yet to use a condom for keeping items protected, but I DID use condoms over the barrel of my M-16 and sidearm in Vietnam :)
Thinking back to the bad old days in Spain the use of a condom to protect anything would have been anathema whereas nowadays you have vending machines in the streets - Franco must be spinning like a rotisserie!

I've never seen a rain cover that will keep the section of the pack nearest your body dry (spent 5 minutes trying to decide what to call it: front? back? the bit where the straps attach?). I take them out of their little pocket and use it to store a poncho.

I don't often disagree with @trecile but the OP is off in April. I think a light rain jacket would be useful - imagine going out to dine in the pouring rain and having to wear one's poncho - huge fashion faux pas unless one has one's black tie to hand;)
Black tie IS light, but a bit cold, if your walking pants are in the wash. Also not great in the rain.🤣

well..
I packed last year and also this year everything in cubes/plastic bags.
Advantage for me is that everything is sorted and it will always be dry if the backpack would get wet.
Looking back last year, even with heavy raining the cover of the backpack worked perfect, nothing got wet.
And it is a joy packing the backpack again iff everything has his own bag and own place int the backpack !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We went in Sept, it rained the first 4 days. Cold rain and wind. The full poncho kept my husband dry, my snap up the side poncho kept my pack dry - I got wet due to the wind.

A dry bag for bedding and a dry bag for passports, travel paperwork did a great job. Wet bedding after a long day wasn't something I would have dealt with very well. My clothes were in tiny sil bags, all sorted and easy to get to things.

Passport & credencial go in a plastic bag. I have never used a bag liner or packing cubes -there's so little in the bag it's easy to find stuff.

I do use the pack's rain cover and poncho. The pack cover goes on the bag at the first hint of rain. This way the bag has first level of protection, and it's safer if I put the bag down on the wet ground. The moment rain starts, my poncho goes on. I do not want a wet harness.

For four caminos I used one of those cheapo plastic emergency ponchos - with care, each lasted an entire camino- and covered me and bag. I always picked a high visibility colour. Then I found, at a charity shop, a poncho that suits me and it got used on the last camino. It has no sleeves, just slots for hands to get through, and without sleeves, I don't get into a wet sweat-a-thon because ventilation is great.

I carry a lightweight jacket too. Sometimes it's on under the poncho, sometimes not - that's more about how cold it is.

I don't know what to do about this issue. Getting cold, getting wet: both are undesirable when walking all day. I will be walking in October/November this year. My rain pants work for me over my trousers or shorts to keep me both warm and dry; they are light weight, breathable and waterproof. But how to keep my torso, arms and backpack/contents warm and dry? I can manage the backpack and contents with a poncho and plastic bags. But my arms may still be wet, using either of my current ponchos. I would prefer the lightweight Ikea poncho, but it is so far untested. And how useful would it be for extra warmth on a frosty November morning? This is the usual warmth versus weight question. I don't want to take a raincoat to add to my other gear. I think I'll have to try out my gear (new pack, new poncho) on a week's walk in the mountains this summer and see how it works for me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No need for a poncho and rain jacket/pants. Just pick one option to bring. Just make sure they are quality gear that works.
I have always found a good, thick plastic trash bin bag inside the pack to do a good job keeping everything dry. Make sure you tie off the top good. That in conjunction with a water-resistant pack cover which I always reinforce with a liberal application of scotchguard on it, as well as on the pack itself.
You can also have everything in separate waterproof, smaller bags. That would work, too. I just don't carry enough stuff that it needs to be organized and categorized.
Heck, you can do both. Put your stuff in smaller waterproof bags and then put it all in a good plastic bin bag inside the pack. Nothing at all wrong with being redundant like that. The bin bag weighs nothing and if having two layers of waterproofing for your stuff inside the pack gives you piece of mind, go for it. I put my stuff inside of two bin bags in the pack.
I have had my entire pack and kit before soaked by rain. Believe me, you don't want to experience it.

I have met many a person who regretted using a rain cover for their backpack. The failure rate is pretty high. I think it is because they are usually not put on perfectly. Use a poncho. I have been in pretty intense rains that lasted for a few hours on more occasions then I care to remember. My gear was always dry. Instead of using zip lock bags try using mesh ironing bags. They are silent. You can wake up quite a few pilgrims opening, closing and packing plastic bags early in the morning.
Also, and I know I am sure not perfect. Always look before you put your backpack down.

Use a trash compactor (heavy duty) bag to line your pack. Pack covers are useless. Forget the poncho, unless you like lots of wet fabric. Get an umbrella and attach it to your pack strap with zip ties or velcro. Has kept me and my pack drier than other options. And no rain in your face.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I lined my pack with a plastic bag, both for bedbug worries (which never was an issue, it turns out) and to keep the pack dry. I doubt I'd choose that again, because it was almost impossible to get up in the morning and get ready without the plastic making a loud sound - I felt guilty about possibly disturbing other people.

I keep everything in ziploc bags - easy to see what's in the bag and everything stays dry - or, what's in the bag doesn't get all over everything else if IT opens (foot powder! sad experience!). The bags come in all sizes - including large enough for sleeping bags and bulky clothes. I MIGHT have worried about the bags being noisy, but by the time I'm fussing with them there's plenty of other noise around me to drown it out.

I would like to thank all those poncho users that I saw on my April/May Frances (2017) and Via/Sanabres (2018) caminos. You provided endless hours of amusement as the ponchos continually blew over your head and you get drenched from the hail and sleet.
Do you wish to share your, presumably more functional, alternative system for keeping yourself and your gear dry?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’v
I don't know what to do about this issue. Getting cold, getting wet: both are undesirable when walking all day. I will be walking in October/November this year. My rain pants work for me over my trousers or shorts to keep me both warm and dry; they are light weight, breathable and waterproof. But how to keep my torso, arms and backpack/contents warm and dry? I can manage the backpack and contents with a poncho and plastic bags. But my arms may still be wet, using either of my current ponchos. I would prefer the lightweight Ikea poncho, but it is so far untested. And how useful would it be for extra warmth on a frosty November morning? This is the usual warmth versus weight question. I don't want to take a raincoat to add to my other gear. I think I'll have to try out my gear (new pack, new poncho) on a week's walk in the mountains this summer and see how it works for me.
After one single hour of heavy rain on Cyprus I was totally wet under my IKEA poncho, I’ m sorry to say.

I would like to thank all those poncho users that I saw on my April/May Frances (2017) and Via/Sanabres (2018) caminos. You provided endless hours of amusement as the ponchos continually blew over your head and you get drenched from the hail and sleet.

All? Not one knew how to properly use a poncho?

What else amused you?: inexperienced walkers getting bad blisters from ill fitting shoes? The inexperienced who became too weary to walk due to a too heavy backpack or too fast a pace? Or maybe the ones who got really dehydrated from not knowing how much water to carry over a longer than normal distance between water supplies?

I’v

After one single hour of heavy rain on Cyprus I was totally wet under my IKEA poncho, I’ m sorry to say.

After thousands of miles backpacking, including the Pacific Crest Trail for 5 months, I've never had that happen to me. Nor on my Caminos.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
use an umbrella. i threw my poncho away after 500 miles on the appalachian trail. glad i did.

Arcteryx rain jacket and Berghaus paclite trousers. Pit zips and leg slits.....a perfect combination for freezing, driving hail and that warm docile drizzle. As for the kit, put everything into ziplocks or dry bags.

They can work.

For far better performance at a much lighter weight, at a similar price point, the Zpacks Vertice rain garments (jacket and pants) use the Ventum laminate fabric which has more than double the water vapor transfer rate of the Arc'teryx for condensation prevention . The Vertice jacket also has armpit zippers.

The Vertice pants do not have the vertical leg zippers, which I criticized in my reports to Zpacks after I gear tested the jacket and pants for them. But the leg openings can be expanded easily so that the pants can be put on or taken off over most footwear.

I’m a fan of dry bags, I usually use one inside my back pack, big enough to put anything into it that I would want to keep dry, spare clothes, electronics, documents etc. Trying to stay dry while walking is another thing.....I don’t believe anything works a 100%.....and if it does, prepare to sweat inside !

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used a rain jacket and pack cover and was fine. We had three days of hard rain, and nothing got wet. I did have my clothes in the sea to summit bags and was glad I did. I had rain pants the first day, did not like them and left them in the donativo bin in Roncesvalles 🆒

After 7 Caminos, the Thames and Hadrian's Wall Paths, living in the Pacific Northwest, and falling into a deep arroyo, I now wear only good quality wool tops, sox, and tights in layers - since wool keeps one warm (but never HOT) even when wet (and doesn't stink and isn't scratchy!), nylon pants which dry very quickly - usually in the time it takes to stop for a cafe con leche and a snack, a rain jacket with hood, a cover over my pack - with everything in the pack sorted into various sizes of packing cubes and inside one or two large garbage bags (mine weigh a few grams, are soft plastic that make almost no noise). This works very well for me, my pack usually weighs about 16 lb/7 kg, I'm a small, 74 year old woman, and HATE being cold. But I NEED to be out walking, regardless of the weather - well, I don't do snow! Oh -- and I'm ok when I get wet.
Buen Camino to all!! :)
Terry

Last edited:
I am generally a fan of rain jacket and pack cover - just easier for me. I did have a lightweight (disposable) poncho that I used in addition to the rain jacket and pack cover when it was REALLY rainy and on a couple of occasions where it was rainy, but kind of warm, so the rain jacket was too hot. The disposable poncho weighed almost nothing and didn't take up much space.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
After 7 Caminos, the Thames and Hadrian's Wall Paths, living in the Pacific Northwest, and falling into a deep arroyo, I now wear only good quality wool tops, sox, and tights in layers - since wool keeps one warm (but never HOT) even when wet (and doesn't stink and isn't scratchy!), nylon pants which dry very quickly - usually in the time it takes to stop for a cafe con leche and a snack, a rain jacket with hood, a cover over my pack - with everything in the pack sorted into various sizes of packing cubes and inside one or two large garbage bags (mine weigh a few grams, are soft plastic that make almost no noise). This works very well for me, my pack usually weighs about 16 lb/7 kg, I'm a small, 74 year old woman, and HATE being cold. But I NEED to be out walking, regardless of the weather - well, I don't do snow! Oh -- and I'm ok when I get wet.
Buen Camino to all!! :)
Terry
I am starting Camino on 2nd April and I am doing all I can to keep back pack weight to a minimum ' 7 kg would be perfect - I am carrying a cpap machine which overall is around 1.3kg- how do you keep your bag so lig h t ? Are yo u carrying sleeping bag?

I am starting Camino on 2nd April and I am doing all I can to keep back pack weight to a minimum ' 7 kg would be perfect - I am carrying a cpap machine which overall is around 1.3kg- how do you keep your bag so lig h t ? Are yo u carrying sleeping bag?
I walk mostly in the Fall. So you will need to adjust this info for the reverse weather.
Good quality wool, base layers are very light weight and good even in heat. If it's really chilly, wear multiple layers. I love my rain jacket w/ hood (600 gm). But I also have an ultralite biking jacket - 120 gm that I frequently wear under the rain jacket, and sometimes at night if I'm cold - it's surprisingly soft, not making rustling noises. My sleeping bag is 500 gm, and I also take a sleepsac - 250 gm, which I use all the time - I mail the sleeping bag and some other stuff ahead when I know I won't need it. Spanish Correos is VERY helpful.
I don't carry a lot of water -- it's available all along the way at fountains, taps in cafes, etc. On the several long stretches without cafe/bars, I use 2-500 ml plastic bottles which I buy, then keep the bottles but carry them empty or half full. I use tooth powder that I empty into a zip lock baggie (no weight!) instead of paste - but you can buy small tubes of tooth paste in farmacias along the way. If you need more info, PM me. To be realistic, you might need to accept an extra 1.3 kg. Buen Camino!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I preferred using plastic baggies (not ziplock, they aren't airtight). I had all similar items in a single bag, squeezed air out and it kept everything dry, even in bad rain. I tried several ponchos, but found them bulky. Ended up using my favorite fishing raincoat. Well vented, so I didn't sweat, and a pack cover from the pack's manufacturer. My 30 degree(F) sleeping bag and bugproof sleep sack had their own waterproof bags. Worked for me!! Oh, and I took along a number of extra baggies...quart and gallon. Used them all, either as gifts to other pilgrims or to replace worn out ones.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dave, did you use an Ikea poncho?

I have used two. . one was a zPacks and the other Frogg Toggs. Talk about a difference in price!!!! But the Frogg Toggs did a great job, though not as durable. But for the price, they are durable enough :) And they are the only poncho I know that uses a breathable material (though not the most advanced, it does release water vapor.)

I had to google Ikea poncho, and that looks like what I have! I got mine at a charity shop and it had no label. I love that thing!!! It has 'handles' on the inside that you can use to hold it down in the wind. With no sleeves, it never gets sweaty.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back