• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Keeping Motivation for Pre-Camino Walking/Training.

Trekker One

Time of past OR future Camino
C.F.2014,15,16,19&23, Portuguese'17, Primitivo'18
I'll be walking again this fall, so to keep up my motivation for the daily walks, I have used my phone to log my accumulated kilometers. I then compare where I would be assuming I left St. Jean.
So with 471 kilometers logged so far this year, this puts me just west of Leon roughly around Trabajo Del Camino.
My walking route is interesting, but sadly no availability of a cafe con leche on my route...
Living in northern Alberta, some of those -35 C January mornings were tough to face, but I bundled up and got on with it. I've only missed 5 days since January 1st.
What do some of you do to keep progressing with training?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm walking this autumn as well (and also live in northern Alberta - Hello neighbour!). While I do walk everywhere and walk my dog several times a day, I do not walk long distances in winter. I have a good dose of PTSD from falling on ice a few years ago and tearing my hamstrings, so it's short walks until the ice is finally gone from the sidewalks.

My partner and I spoke about this as we went for a walk today. Discipline over motivation was how he worded it. And really that's it. When training at home we have to muster the discipline to gear up and head out, but we do have the luxury of procrastinating and putting off walking today, or walking a shorter distance. When we're on Camino we don't have that luxury, we just have to suck it up, put our shoes on and walk.

Discipline is not my strong suit. I skipped 2 days this week because I was feeling squiffy one day and lazy another. But I did head out today and enjoyed the lovely weather. As I live in the Land of Cold and Flat, I'll wait a couple more weeks for the ice to completely melt and the mud to dry so I can get on some trails and hills.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'll be walking again this fall, so to keep up my motivation for the daily walks, I have used my phone to log my accumulated kilometers. I then compare where I would be assuming I left St. Jean.
So with 471 kilometers logged so far this year, this puts me just west of Leon roughly around Trabajo Del Camino.
My walking route is interesting, but sadly no availability of a cafe con leche on my route...
Living in northern Alberta, some of those -35 C January mornings were tough to face, but I bundled up and got on with it. I've only missed 5 days since January 1st.
Hello, I just started training and I really like your idea of translating your total to where you would be along the Camino, I'm going to borrow that idea. Thank you!

I have not been motivated this winter to train. Iā€™m not feeling motivated because I have an accumulated, inhuman amount of stress and fatigue on all levels built up over years. Iā€™m going to listen to my body and take it easy until my strength builds up.

Iā€™ve let go of all my expectations of where I should be by now and have instead been thanking my mind and body for taking me this far and still feeling sane and able to experience moments of pure joy.

Gratitude has shifted my attitude towards all things Camino.

Buen Camino for your fall journey šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Ž

I think if possible walk every day.
As we say in Mexico "big huevos"!
I am 69 years old and I just had my yearly physical and trip to the urologist. (It is no fun getting old and I don't like it one bit). My only issue was that my cholesterol was a little high and both said I can get it down with a little stricter diet. I am a pretty lucky man. When I asked what else I should be doing. They both said keep walking your caminos every year, (now I walk anywhere from 800 to 1100K), walk every day like you do and continue your yoga. Everyone says that your camino starts when you get home. So to keep motivated I walk every day, listen to different podcasts while I walk and my motivation is to keep seeing my family and friends and being able to keep walking for many years to come.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you have not already done so, consider joining a local chapter of the Canadian Society of Pilgrims. There is an Edmonton chapter.
Chapters host walking and information events. I joined walks hosted by the Victoria chapter and found it motivating. More fun than walking by myself.

I walk my dog twice a day and then do a couple of steep hilly walks each week. One with the dog and one solo. Once a week I walk with my walking group. My motivation for training comes from knowing that if I am walking fit then I will enjoy my Camino even more, during the Covid period there were lots of restrictions about what you could do and where you could go (I live in Australia) so the freedom we have now is even more appreciated and just being out in nature is good for my soulšŸŒ¹šŸ„°

Hi. I walk alone and listen to Camino podcasts while training...that usually gets me through the initial period then once I get going I am good. I have also listened to audio books about the Camino. My training has been off and on.......been good sometimes and non existent other times. I just need to get to Spain now and do it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
I too find walking at home quite boring compared to walking in Spain.
1) it's (often) too hot here in Florida to fully enjoy very long walks outdoors . So I limit mine to 3 or 4 miles and an occasional 6 miler when the weather is cooler. This prep has always worked just fine for me on my previous camino's
2) we don't have hills
3) same scenery mostly.
But.......the promise of being in Spain soon , keeps me going. I have a playlist with songs I like to walk too, think about all camino related stuff etc etc. And sometimes it helps to just skip 2 or 3 days to regain the interest again and that is fine too.

I think if possible walk every day.

As we say in Mexico "big huevos"!
I am 69 years old and I just had my yearly physical and trip to the urologist. (It is no fun getting old and I don't like it one bit). My only issue was that my cholesterol was a little high and both said I can get it down with a little stricter diet. I am a pretty lucky man. When I asked what else I should be doing. They both said keep walking your caminos every year, (now I walk anywhere from 800 to 1100K), walk every day like you do and continue your yoga. Everyone says that your camino starts when you get home. So to keep motivated I walk every day, listen to different podcasts while I walk and my motivation is to keep seeing my family and friends and being able to keep walking for many years to come.
Well said! No matter what happens you have to keep moving!

If you have not already done so, consider joining a local chapter of the Canadian Society of Pilgrims. There is an Edmonton chapter.
Chapters host walking and information events. I joined walks hosted by the Victoria chapter and found it motivating. More fun than walking by myself.
I am aware of the Edmonton chapter and did go to a few events in the past. Joining their walks is a matter of logistics. It would take longer to drive to and from their jump off point than do my walk from home, so not really worth it for me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm challenged by this as well, especially now that the weather is hot. In order to avoid very uncomfortable temps I need to start walking by 5:30am and soon that will move back to 5 or earlier (due to increasing temps). I can make 5.5 - 6.0 miles (8.5 to 9.5km) by 8:30 or 9am. By 9 it's really too hot to be exerting oneself. I'm not sure how to handle 10 miles (17km). Likely will need to split between an early morning and late evening walk on the same day.

Basically I get bored. Living in an inner city area I dont have easy access to scenic trails. However, I'm lucky to have a park and golf course nearby even though it means multiple laps around both! I have posted on my local Reddit and FB asking about walking groups but no matching responses yet.

I'd love to hear more ideas about maintaining motivation!!!!!

I'm challenged by this as well, especially now that the weather is hot. In order to avoid very uncomfortable temps I need to start walking by 5:30am and soon that will move back to 5 or earlier (due to increasing temps). I can make 5.5 - 6.0 miles (8.5 to 9.5km) by 8:30 or 9am. By 9 it's really too hot to be exerting oneself. I'm not sure how to handle 10 miles (17km). Likely will need to split between an early morning and late evening walk on the same day.
Don't worry about walking more than 6 miles a day. You don't need to walk Camino distances daily before your Camino. Just do a few longer days in a row to test out your shoe/sock combination when the weather permits. If you have already done this then carry on with your "shorter" morning walks. I'm pretty sure that I've mentioned this before, but when you are on the Camino and your only job each day is to walk from point A to point B you will probably find that you can walk farther each day than you can in your normal life.

As far as motivation goes when walking the same route over and over - I listen to podcasts. You can even find a lot of Camino podcasts that you may find encouraging. Check the Videos, blogs, podcasts and photo albums forum for ideas.

I would add that if youā€™re going to carry your gear, itā€™s a good idea to do some training walks with your full backpack. Iā€™ve met more than a few people who trained by walking long distances but never with the full load they plan to carry. It can make a big difference to how your body (including knees, ankles and feet) feels carrying those extra X kgs in weight. Also your pack may take some getting used to. šŸ˜Ž

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
I try to develop a walking life that is independent of the Camino, although the Camino certainly is background motivation. Even if/when I cannot walk the Camino, I hope to keep walking at some level, at home. So, walking is how I conduct my daily life. To my surprise, I have come to be a big fan of podcasts and audiobooks, using fabulous bone conduction earphones. They were game-changers for me.

I try to develop a walking life that is independent of the Camino, although the Camino certainly is background motivation. Even if/when I cannot walk the Camino, I hope to keep walking at some level, at home. So, walking is how I conduct my daily life. To my surprise, I have come to be a big fan of podcasts and audiobooks, using fabulous bone conduction earphones. They were game-changers for me.
Bone conduction earphones?????

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm at 898 training kilometers for the year now as of today. Walking again on the Camino in late September this year.
My wife and I are introducing a brother and sister in law to the Camino.
Like walking with first timers and and seeing them get hooked!

Last edited:
I'm so glad to see this thread! I am really struggling with training boredom. I live in Toronto and have always loved walking here but with all my pre-Camino walking I feel like I've walked these streets a million times. I'm sick of my music, sick of podcasts, and eventually sick of my own thoughts. What I've been trying to do is emulate a day on the Camino: walk, stop for breakfast, walk, stop for lunch, walk, stop for the day, adding up to 20-25k. But I can't do it! Im looking for excuses to stop, the whole way! My longest walk has been 15k. And it's not physical anymore, it's mental. I'm in a bad head space. I'm setting out this morning for a 20k out and back walk on our lakefront trail. I'm packing breakfast and lunch because there won't be anywhere to buy stuff. I'm hoping this will be more successful. I've done most of this route before but I'm going to walk a little further to a beautiful wild park so that's the carrot. Maybe I'll stop at the beach for a beer on my way home. I needs my carrots :)

I donā€™t train for a Camino. Let me clarify that however. Exercise is part of my daily routine which I do for my fitness regardless of having a Camino planned or not. As I am retired, I have the luxury of time so exercising 1-2+ hours a day is no burden. But, because of this commitment to fitness, I could set off on the Camino tomorrow and be totally prepared for the physical demands of that journey. Fitness or daily exercise is anything but boring or monotonous if you always change it up to include a variety of exercises. I walk, run, hike a mountain, cycle on and off roads outdoors, Peloton, treadmill and stair climbing at the YMCA, exercise classes of all sorts, lift weights, play racketball, etc. Sometimes my exercise is high cardio; other times, low intensity. Every day is different and actually something I look forward to planning and accomplishing. Once I understood that exercise was what I needed to do for my overall well being, I no longer had to train for a special event like a Camino. I was already ready. So, mix up your preparation for your Camino. Everything you do physically will make you stronger for September. You donā€™t have to just walk for what seems like endless kilometers. But, do stop at the beach fir that beer once in a while. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back