• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Keeping the dream alive - A Camino Walk

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

LifeatNo22

Suzanne (NZ)
Time of past OR future Camino
Not decided what year I will be participating.
Hi everyone

I would love to connect with other folks who are wanting to do or have completed a Camino Walk. As none of us knows when travel will be possible, and I thought it would be inspiring to keep my ambition of doing a walk alive by gathering information from others like yourselves.

I look forward to reading your comments.
Cheers
Suzanne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did my first Camino last year thankfully before the problems of this year. I walked the Camino Frances as I do like a long walk and coming from England I wanted to make the journey worthwhile! Whilst aged 72 at the time I have walked a long, 200-630 mile walks, once a year for some years although I don't generally walk much in between. So with regret I haven't been for a "long" walk this year just early morning 5/6 miles early in the morning around the streets to keep up my fitness. Whilst I would like to walk a Camino again next year (although I am not religious) my mind is going for 2022 so hopefully by that time the current issues will be behind us/manageable. A truly exhilarating experience and totally different from the long distance National Trails I have walked in the UK. Start planning for yours, read lots of journals online, read a guidebook or two - I find the planning to be a great part of the walk, especially during the winter months. If you are not too sure about it all then try one of the companies that organise everything for you.

Ask away, Suzanne!
The search function is useful for basic information, but if you have quirky or individual questions (eg., if you want feedback on specific gear, or your packing list), start your own thread to throw them out here for the rest of us to answer.

Together we have a ginormous amount of collective experience - and while our opinions don't always match, that's part of the fun.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes there is a ton of information here and as VN Walking said just seek and ye shall find. I have a feeling you may want a little more personal contact to ask questions and alleviate fears that everyone has before they walk. I am raring to go on number 6 and I still have jitters before a camino. I direct your attention to the top of every page that has this message: Notices for Zoom meetings (signed-in members only) are found here.
Click on it and find out when the next zoom meeting is. I think Ivar holds them quite often. Downloading zoom is a breeze to do. I think you would enjoy the experience.

I did my first Camino last year thankfully before the problems of this year. I walked the Camino Frances as I do like a long walk and coming from England I wanted to make the journey worthwhile! Whilst aged 72 at the time I have walked a long, 200-630 mile walks, once a year for some years although I don't generally walk much in between. So with regret I haven't been for a "long" walk this year just early morning 5/6 miles early in the morning around the streets to keep up my fitness. Whilst I would like to walk a Camino again next year (although I am not religious) my mind is going for 2022 so hopefully by that time the current issues will be behind us/manageable. A truly exhilarating experience and totally different from the long distance National Trails I have walked in the UK. Start planning for yours, read lots of journals online, read a guidebook or two - I find the planning to be a great part of the walk, especially during the winter months. If you are not too sure about it all then try one of the companies that organise everything for you.
Thanks very much for sharing your experience and I think it will be 2022 before I contemplate doing it. My husband can no longer travel due to having Primary Myelofibrosis (cancer). So, I'm in no hurry to do it at this stage. I'm 61 so hopefully I have a few years left 😉
We have been to Europe quite a few times and did fulltime housesitting for three years.
Time for a morning walk. Thanks again.

Yes there is a ton of information here and as VN Walking said just seek and ye shall find. I have a feeling you may want a little more personal contact to ask questions and alleviate fears that everyone has before they walk. I am raring to go on number 6 and I still have jitters before a camino. I direct your attention to the top of every page that has this message: Notices for Zoom meetings (signed-in members only) are found here.
Click on it and find out when the next zoom meeting is. I think Ivar holds them quite often. Downloading zoom is a breeze to do. I think you would enjoy the experience.
Brilliant info and yes very daunting contemplating the walk. Though I'm a seasoned traveller with my husband unfortunately he won't be able to di this with me. I will definitely ask questions when I need too. Thanks again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ask away, Suzanne!
The search function is useful for basic information, but if you have quirky or individual questions (eg., if you want feedback on specific gear, or your packing list), start your own thread to throw them out here for the rest of us to answer.

Together we have a ginormous amount of collective experience - and while our opinions don't always match, that's part of the fun.
Thanks very much, and you weren't kidding regarding the ginormous amount of information 🙂 I think I will need a specific notepad for all of it! Looking forward to starting my learning journey and eventually my walk.

Hi everyone

I would love to connect with other folks who are wanting to do or have completed a Camino Walk. As none of us knows when travel will be possible, and I thought it would be inspiring to keep my ambition of doing a walk alive by gathering information from others like yourselves.

Cheers
Suzanne
There are quite a few forum members from New Zealand, and might be the possibility for you to meet up in person. Perhaps start a thread looking for others from your area?
Also typing New Zealand in the search function.

There are quite a few forum members from New Zealand, and might be the possibility for you to meet up in person. Perhaps start a thread looking for others from your area?
Also typing New Zealand in the search function.
Thanks very much, will do.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You'll be fine Suzanne and in good hands with friendly and helpful pilgrims and generous and hospitable hosts. I've done two with my wife and both times we met lots of good people, all the way. Most pilgrims who started out on their own ended up walking as a team with two or three others after a few days. If you need company, you'll find it easily. Enjoy the planning and preparations, it's the start and as much a part of your Camino.

Enjoy the planning and preparations, it's the start and as much a part of your Camino.
Thanks very much as you're right, the planning is such a big part of any sort of travel. Plus, it's been a pleasure "chatting" and reading all sorts on this forum and I will buy a few books soon.

Click on the word "Resources" at the top of this page to find an amazing amount of useful information compiled by members of this forum for general use.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Click on the word "Resources" at the top of this page to find an amazing amount of useful information compiled by members of this forum for general use.
Thanks very much, I will head there now. I'm enjoying going down a few rabbit warrens and thinking will I be able to do this!!

Hi everyone

I would love to connect with other folks who are wanting to do ...

Cheers
Suzanne
Hi Suzanne. I'm an NZ-er who has done five caminos. Happy to talk anytime. I'm 66 and didn't discover long distance walking until 60, but am hooked.

Bernice

Hi Suzanne. I'm an NZ-er who has done five caminos. Happy to talk anytime. I'm 66 and didn't discover long distance walking until 60, but am hooked.

Bernice
Thanks very much, Bernice for the offer of a chat. Hopefully, when I get closer to making it a 'real thing', I will certainly take you up on the offer. I would like to do the walk with others, my husband can't do the walk nor are my friends at all interested in doing it. Did you do it with a tour, a group of others or by yourself?

Very impressed with starting off long-distance walking. Never too late :) I began competing in half marathons in my early 50's and walked 10 of them betting my P.B. time on each one. I am now enjoying walking at a slower pace, my body is appreciating that I've chosen to go slower!

Look forward to hearing more about your Caminos. Have you done the Portugal Camino?

Suzanne

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would like to do the walk with others,
You will, even if you arrive in SJPP alone. Walking by yourself gives a huge amount of flexibility, but there will always be company nearby if you want it.

Coming from your distance, I'd suggest a slow start, perhaps 2 nights in SJPP to get your feet on the ground, then the first night at Orrison. If you stay at the latter, you'll definitely meet people. Even if you don't, dinner at Roncesvalles will start the bonding process..

You will, even if you arrive in SJPP alone. Walking by yourself gives a huge amount of flexibility, but there will always be company nearby if you want it.

Coming from your distance, I'd suggest a slow start, perhaps 2 nights in SJPP to get your feet on the ground, then the first night at Orrison. If you stay at the latter, you'll definitely meet people. Even if you don't, dinner at Roncesvalles will start the bonding process..
Thanks for the extra information, though I am a seasoned traveller, I haven't travelled by myself since the 1980s. So, having other walkers around will be good and hopefully lessen the anxiety!. The big thing now is to start training to do long walks on a more consistent basis.

I know that it really the same/similar but I think that it is time on your feet that is what you need to get used to as well as ascending/descending - no problem in NZ but I guess my view of NZ may be different from where you live. If you haven't noticed on the "envelope" on the header I have sent you a list of where I stayed, mileage etc that may/may not be helpful as a start of your planning.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I know that it really the same/similar but I think that it is time on your feet that is what you need to get used to as well as ascending/descending - no problem in NZ but I guess my view of NZ may be different from where you live. If you haven't noticed on the "envelope" on the header I have sent you a list of where I stayed, mileage etc that may/may not be helpful as a start of your planning.
Thanks very much for the information. Yes, I agree regarding getting used to time on my feet, will practice more as and when I decide to head on over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.