• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Key Essential Item(s) for Your Camino

What would you say was or were the key essential item(s) you took on your Camino journey, that made

• ear plugs

Votes: 102 56.7%
  • sewing kit

Votes: 34 18.9%
  • eye mask

Votes: 23 12.8%
  • bottle holder

Votes: 19 10.6%
  • spork

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • head torch

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • buff

Votes: 78 43.3%
  • vaseline

Votes: 61 33.9%
  • other

Votes: 55 30.6%

• Total voters
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In two weeks time i will start my first Camino (so no Camino experience yet).
Item not yet mentioned that i am taking and should come in handy - instead of a head torch or keyring LED light, I am taking a "Frog" type white LED cycling light (the no-name-brand type). Very small, easy to attach to things, splash proof, stronger than a keyring LED, and it also has a strobe function that will be useful when walking in the fog along a busy street. Will then attach it to the back of my backpack for extra visibility. Should be a good safety feature and a practical small LED torch.
Battery lasts 40h plus.

View attachment 40146

Additionally taking along: a little bit of good quality instant coffee; just waterproofed my hat with the shoe waterproof spay; "twisted" hiking washing line; and a pillow case (my only "home comfort" item). Baby bum cream (Chafe). Plastic lunch box. Two cable ties and a short piece of duct tape wrapped around a pen. Small piece of yoga foam mat (30cm x 40cm) to sit on. Buff

Will not take: Will buy items along the way as need arises. No T-shirts etc. = will buy touristy T-shirts along the way. Will buy pocket knife (with scissors and tweezers) and poncho when i arrive and as i need.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The biggest thing by far that makes a Camino the best possible, fun trip is to take as much of nothing as you can. The more nothing I can stuff into my bag, the better. I'm planning on going out to the shops and buying more nothing in preparation for April 13th this year, and will have a trial pack to make sure it all fits into my rucksack. The second thing I think is essential is a credit card, to buy whatever I need when the nothing won't do the job.

:)
That should be printed on EVERY packing list..............lol!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Ditto on the earplugs! I carried a small Swiss army knife that I used all the time - especially when cutting moleskins. Speaking of that, moles skins and Compeed. Otherwise my rule was it didn't go in the pack unless I planned to use everyday (or maybe every other day.) No "just in case" additions (aside from my meds.)

I think the "little hook" might have been a "little carabiner" they come in useful for hanging stuff all over the place. They come in all shapes and sizes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Regarding the knife issue. There's a lot to be said for buying a nice penknife on your camino. They come in useful and make a great souvenir.

microfiber towel (and if you lose yours, ask the hospitalero for the "Lost and Found" because usually there are a few there that others lost)
I can go along with this one. I left a very nice microfibre towel at Grañón, it had my email address on. Let me know if you've got it!.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What little thing made a big difference to your Camino?
I. water bladder with Sip tube, 2.Sun/rain wide brim hat. 3.lightweight, but quality rain gear, 4. Ceramic pairing knife w/sheath, 5. Pacer Poles. 6. Ditto to inflatable vinyl pillow.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
cheap pocket knife, purchased there, Leuko tape.
Agree with the pocket knife but make sure you get one with scissors (it was the tool we used most, often for cutting tape) and tweezers, plus a blade, bottle opener, corkscrew, can opener usually comes along too. Then add fabric tape for your blisters and nappy pins for hanging garments to dry on the line/fence/backpack.

Thin, large square wool scarf - for shade, heat, privacy, hairdrying, padding of backpack straps.

Heating coil, oatmeal and cocoa mix (not on the Francés, but there are plenty of Caminos where breakfast can be tricky).

Knitted holder for water bottle, which holds it at my left hip so I can take a small sip of water every time I feel like it.

Poles. Also excellent for clothes-drying between bunks when it's rainy outside. And ice-breaker when passing elderly locals, walking with a stick - I smile and say "Mejor con dos," lifting my poles, and we laugh together. Never fails to make us both smile.

Did you bring the oatmeal or by in in the mercardos?

I used my swiss army knife a lot. Mostly for the scissors, but also the knife blade and bottle opener. I never got a chance to use the corkscrew though!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One of my best friends since ages: Mòris, a Finnish puukko, just "The" Essence. :cool:

IMG_5219.JPG

I bring a small "Paring knife"with ceramic blade and slip on blade cover! It's light, can "carry on" and very handy! Tiny folding scissor, with loop for hanging on my Carabiner. And use Ergonomic "Pacer Poles"helpful up hill, and very important on steep or slippery/rocky downhills. They also prevent me from ever feeling un safe, when walking through areas that might feel creepy. My credit card "hacking", cancelled my Spring Camino. Now I go in Early Sept!

I like to have a knife and these are the best I know of. I carry the Moraknif craftline stainless knife, small and light, very sharp, and comes with a hard plastic sheath. Did I mention they are inexpensive? $11 US on Amazon

Ear plugs essential. I got brilliant wax ones from pharmacies in Spain. Your body heat moulds them to the shape of your ear!
Also a light plastic over door hook came in very handy for hanging clothes /toiletries bag etc in shower (as many albergues have small showers with minimal shelving/hooks. Ultreiya!

Did you bring the oatmeal or by in in the mercardos?
It has become more available (it was impossible to find except for the very biggest health food shops when I lived in Spain twenty years ago), but I'd probably bring some, at least for the first few days.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I personally met two different pilgrims who used the needle and thread, both became septic and the gentleman so much so he was hauled off the Camino in an ambulance to Leon. Not the way to end ones Camino. I agree, PLEASE don't do this. (retired RN speaking here)
Hi, I have always put a hole in and drained the blister before putting a compeed on the hot spot or blister. I can see your advice makes sense. But if there is a bubble blister, do I just put the compeed pad over the bubble without draining the blister? thanks for your help.

would those items as well as scissors etc be allowed on out carry-on luggage, when flying in and out of the country ? I'm flying in and out of Porto
We carried these some years ago on the ferry from UK to Spain. Even with restrictions similar to the airlines they were allowed as the length of the blade was so small. The only real way to be sure is to check with the relevant airlines.
An alternative would be to purchase something like this on arrival and then post it home to yourself at the end of your Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
for my old arthritic hands - dishwashing gloves! I used them every day to wash my clothes in cold water (rarely did washing sinks have hot water)

In two weeks time i will start my first Camino (so no Camino experience yet).
Item not yet mentioned that i am taking and should come in handy - instead of a head torch or keyring LED light, I am taking a "Frog" type white LED cycling light (the no-name-brand type). Very small, easy to attach to things, splash proof, stronger than a keyring LED, and it also has a strobe function that will be useful when walking in the fog along a busy street. Will then attach it to the back of my backpack for extra visibility. Should be a good safety feature and a practical small LED torch.
Battery lasts 40h plus.

View attachment 40146

Additionally taking along: a little bit of good quality instant coffee; just waterproofed my hat with the shoe waterproof spay; "twisted" hiking washing line; and a pillow case (my only "home comfort" item). Baby bum cream (Chafe). Plastic lunch box. Two cable ties and a short piece of duct tape wrapped around a pen. Small piece of yoga foam mat (30cm x 40cm) to sit on. Buff

Will not take: Will buy items along the way as need arises. No T-shirts etc. = will buy touristy T-shirts along the way. Will buy pocket knife (with scissors and tweezers) and poncho when i arrive and as i need.
I suggest you leave the coffee behind. It will give you the opportunity to stop in small towns after a few hours walk and sit for a wonderful cup of cafe con leche. And these locals rely on you!

Small water heating coil, boil water for that morning Coffee,or that evening instant Soup,plus small tube of superglue for those instant repairs, metal hook to hang my pack onto the bottom of the bed.
I never thought about a heating coil, having gotten so used to a Jetboil, while camping. Great idea!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, I have always put a hole in and drained the blister before putting a compeed on the hot spot or blister. I can see your advice makes sense. But if there is a bubble blister, do I just put the compeed pad over the bubble without draining the blister? thanks for your help.
Growing up, my RN mom would sterilize the needle first with match or alcohol. I always carry a small tube of antibiotic ointment in my first aid items. I think people don't realize that blisters go below the surface of your skin so much.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.