• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kindle version of Gitlitz and Davidson

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think you could say that this is the “historical, cultural, architectural bible” to the Camino Francés. I actually carried the printed copy (more than 900 pages) on my first camino.

The kindle version is on sale for $1.99 on amazon, in the US anyway. That’s a great bargain!

We bought the Kindle version years ago. It is a great resource! Loved Dave W's podcast intervie about this a few years ago.

Thank you Laurie. I’m happy to learn about this book. I’ve just bought it on the Australian Amazon site. We hope to walk the Frances again in November, after more than a decade since the last time - I’m sure this book will add to the experience 😎

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the link. At C$1.99, it is even a better bargain in Canada!

Where else can you get a 35 page description in small type of the Burgos cathedral? Cheap at twice the price!

In spite of that slightly snarky comment, I would say there are many little tidbits, gems about out of the way churches and arches, capitals and carvings, crucifixes and pillories, so I do think it’s well worth it for on-the-spot enjoyment and edification.

I’ve already started reading this book and love the authors’ style, approach and easy to follow layout

A bonus is that the authors cover the Camino routes from three passes over the Pyrenees border from France into Spain - two via the Aragones over Col du Somport and Col du Portalet, and one from SJPP to Roncesvalles. Thé first two ‘merge’ in Jaca and then all are one path from Puenta la Reina.

Having walked the Aragones twice and hoping to do so again, it’s a treat to have that section included.

Back to my reading. Thanks again for this great tip @peregrina2000 😎

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Excellent book. I carried it on many of my earlier caminos until I absentmindedly left it behind on the train to Pamplona. Later in Logroño on the same camino I found a copy on a free shelf. I will dust it off in March when I set off to redo the Aragonés guide.
So happy to hear you are updating your guide. I walked it last October. It is such a wonderful camino. It deserves more attention. So, peaceful, so many great albergues and hospitalarios and albergue owners. I will definitely walk it again. Just wondering as I have the old Argones app from when I bought that Wise Pilgrim bundle years back. Do you want me to put comments on albergues on that app? Believe me they would all be good recommendations.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back