• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kindness of French hikers - story of our "rescue"

TMcA

Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona to Santiago (2013)
Le Puy to Pamplona in segments (2013 - 2016)
Pamplona to León
Long, I know, but needs telling...

My wife and I set out from Le Puy the morning of October 5. Fortunately for us, very heavy rains had pretty much missed Le Puy and although the streets were wet, the sky was lightening. We found the waymarks without problems and climbed steadily. We had decided to stop in Montbonnet our first night, a short hike since we wanted to take it easy the first day or two. We first encountered two solo German hikers, both of them younger and faster than us. Then we bumped into three South Africans (Janet, Dawn, and Marian) with whom we discussed the advisability of reserving a spot in Montbonnet since the first two lodging options we had called were either closed or <<complet>>. During our pause with the South Africans, a party of five French hikers arrived and I asked in French whether anyone might help me with my new French mobile phone. Indeed, their party contained a techy guy nicknamed <<Kiki>> who was also the only member of the group who spoke English.

Kiki easily showed me how to unblock my phone and my wife and I resumed our walk with this group. It turned out that a husband and wife (Philippe and Régine) had just started to learn English and my wife, who had just started to learn French, walked for the next hour or so with Régine, both of them exploring the other's language. I hung back with the others, chatting mostly in French and occasionally in English (with Kiki). The last members of their group were Patricia, Kiki's wife, and Cati (sp?) who was walking gingerly in sandals because she had suffered a broken toe not long before. In front of a small chapel the French group stopped for lunch. Régine invited us to join their <<pique-nique>>, but we deferred and pushed on to Montbonnet. The French group was headed for Saint-Privat. We would next see them from the window of a French auto-ambulance in Saint-Alban.

My wife and I were pleased with our overall plan and physical condition over the first three days of the hike: no blisters, knees in good shape notwithstanding the long descent into Monistrol, no jet-lag problems, and the efforts we had made with our French language instruction were paying dividends. Oh yes, after 500 kms on the Camino Frances in April-May, we had also lightened our packs considerably.

In a gite in La Clauze we dined with a new group of six French hikers and a solo German. The conversation was so delightful that we decided to join them for breakfast. It's still fairly dark in France at 7:30 AM at this time of year and in our separate <<wing>> of the gite, the stairs from our bedroom down to the first floor were illuminated above but more or less plunged into darkness at the bottom of the stairs. Thus it was that my wife misstepped on the last stair and fell hard onto the stone floor. My wife hobbled over to breakfast, but when we examined her foot it was clear that our planned Camino of 14 days was at risk.

We contacted La Malle Postale and were picked up by Stephan within 45 minutes. Very nice young man who drove us to the nearest doctor's office in Saint-Alban. There we waited for the doctor, who was making his morning rounds. After lunch the waiting room started to fill up, the doctor arrived, and we saw him first after he inquired <<Who has been here the longest?>>. We should have anticipated this, but there were no Xray facilities there, and the doctor arranged for what he described, I believe, as a <<TGR>>, which in our case is used to transport patients that don't need to be flat on their backs, don't need oxygen or the other niceties of an ambulance. We were off to a hospital in Marvejols. It was 45 kms away and not shown on the Miam Miam Dodo maps. Our Le Puy Camino was taking us into the unknown. As we left Saint-Alban in the TGR we waved at the French hikers that we had met on Day 1 of our hike. I do not think they saw us, however.

Again I must say that everyone we met, our TGR driver, the admin folks at the hospital, the radiology team, and finally the surgeon...they could not have been nicer. But as the surgeon succinctly expressed it to my wife, <<Votre chemin est fini>>; the Xrays showed no broken bones, but a torn ligament with a bone fragment. No surgery, no cast, but walking only with the aid of crutches for at least three weeks and that walking to be only by placing weight on the heel of the injured foot. Our TGR driver was still waiting for us and would return us to Saint-Alban or ??? I discussed with him the possibility of a drop-off in a town where I might rent a car. He called two agencies...one was closed and the other required that the vehicle be returned to the agency. A drop-off in Paris was not an option. Our faithful TGR driver brought us to Aumont-Aubrac, the nearest town with railway access. First stop was a Pharmacie for crutches, pain killers, and anti-inflammatories. Then a nice hotel. Our driver stayed with us though our check-in and I had to force him to accept a tip - he had been with us about 4 hours.

That first evening we enjoyed a good meal and some wine and puzzled over our future. We had no computer or smart-phone, no map of greater France, and to myself I thought there is no way my wife is going to be able to tour museums, castles, or cathedrals in her current condition. There is a tourist office in Aumont-Aubrac and we decided to go there the next day and figure out our options.

One of my thoughts was that maybe we should enroll in a language school for a week+ of instruction. The next morning we took a taxi to the tourist office in the town and asked the young lady there for any thoughts... on the language school or anything else she might suggest. But our situation was so bizarre that she was completely stumped, although she did say that she would try to give us lessons, albeit without any background in language instruction.

The office closed at noon and we left in very, very bad spirits. We had a map of France from the office and now knew where we were, but our future was completely unknown and we really had no clue as to what to do next. Then a miracle happened...

We started back up to the main street of this small town and ran into the group of 5 French hikers that we had met the first day. Well when the group saw my wife on crutches and were told of how she had injured her foot, and about how we had found ourselves in our sorry state, they first offered their sincere good will, and then they started to problem solve. They were to hike just two more days, then attend a big celebration near where we had started the hike, and then go home. We could return to Le Puy, meet them, and then travel with them, in their cars, and just stay with them. This offer came from each of two couples. We could even start with one couple and finish with the other. Oh yes, a boat trip was offered...they were going to ferry a boat up or down the Saône river from near Dijon and we could join them. As we listened to these multiple offerings of hospitality, both my wife and I could barely manage to hold back our tears, and when she saw us nearly in tears, Cati also teared up. It was so magnanimous, so generous, and was offered in such a moment of need on our part.

So it came to pass that we accepted their offer (yes, how could we not, we had no idea what else to do). We traveled with Philippe and Régine to Dijon, after attending two big retirement parties for one of their friends in a tiny village near our starting point of Le Puy en Velay. Our hosts still work, so when we rose a bit late, the coffee was on, fresh croissants and bread had been purchased, and even their computer had been left on. Talk about random acts of kindness!!! Thank you so very much for rescuing us, Philippe, Régine, Kiki (Christian), Patricia, and Cati. You are all true trail angels and your actions are truly exemplars for the <<L'Esprit du Chemin>>.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What a wonderful story. There are so many more good, kind people out there than there are uncaring bad ones.

I have read so often (and discovered for myself too), how the Camino will provide - just another shining example! I hope your wife is feeling better, and that you are both looking forward to continuing where left off at some future date. A lovely story, thank you for sharing. Janet

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have always heard those French are such snobs (and so intolerant of less than perfect French). I go and risk being subjected to French snobbery every year, but somehow only find people like you met.

This is a great big example of what we all experience in a hundred small ways: the shared melon or sausage or coffee, instruction in how to get laundry to dry, the best way back to the route in the morning. I remember going into a pharmacy to buy some ibuprofen, really needing no help to manage that in French, but my friend Marie-Helene really enjoyed stepping up and explaining what I needed. And a fellow hiker led us into that beautiful town park in Aumont-Aubrac where we could have our lunch sheltered from the wind. I only hope I did my share helping with iPhone problems, sharing maps, translating for those with no French, letting people into a gite so the patronne wouldn't have to come running.

That said, I did find stairs in gites rather hazardous at times, especially when walking on well-worn wooden stairs in stocking feet because boots had to be left at the front door. I quickly learned to wear my evening sandals until it was time to switch to boots.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for sharing such a lovely story.
Bon Chemin.
Colin

I have always heard those French are such snobs (and so intolerant of less than perfect French). I go and risk being subjected to French snobbery every year, but somehow only find people like you met.

You're right - lots of people have said this to us about the French because we live here... but we have only ever been met by kindness.

After 2 years of living here I was diagnosed with cancer and we did consider returning to the UK... mainly for the support system of family and friends. What we learned very quickly was that we had a huge support system here... my husband never cooked when I was in hosptial, neighbours asked if they could do his laundry, go shopping or do the housework... childcare was always sorted when we had appointments that clashed with school-runs... even the post lady would knock on the door and ask how I was doing. The help and support that our little village bestowed on us was really incredible... we knew then that France is indeed our home :)

TMcA - I hope your wifes foot is feeling better!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is such a beautiful story, thank you for sharing it with us.

One doesn't like to generalise about cultures but I suppose it's OK to do it in a positive sense - I've met and walked with French people on a number of occasions and have found them to be not only kind but also great problem solvers. What's more they have shown great patience and forbearance when faced with the mutilation of their beautiful language.

I hope your wife's foot is well on the way to full recovery and that next time she finds a less drastic method of spending time in French company thereby improving her language skills! :)

Cool pilgrimage --- despite OUCH that pain ; you never know where the Camino will end up taking you ... :)

Thanks for sharing your story - it brought tears to my eyes. Yes the French are really helpful, caring and loving even when we butcher their language. And believe me it certainly gets butchered with a broad Australian accent. But we all laugh and I just keep on trying and I guess I am also a bit "trying too."

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
even the post lady would knock on the door and ask how I was doing. !

Wow! that is amazing. Those post ladies in their yellow vans are always in a hurry. We get the heck out of the way when we see one coming!:)

---Nice story! Hope your health continues.

I was just thinking this morning, as I was waking up, about the kindness we have been shown on the Camino routes in France. Congratulations on encountering some genuine "Trail Angels." And hope your wife's foot steadily improves.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That is such a moving story and so typical of what can happen when you strike a problem people open doors everywhere, one gets so much joy and gratitude from the kindness and generosity of others. A great antidote to what you see on TV or read in the papers. Thank you for sharing all this with us.

We were asked once by a shop owner in St Germain , a department in Paris what we thought of Paris and the french people,
Lovely we said,
His reply was ............**You will find people are a mirror of yourself.

He showed us where an intimate park was, opened our bottle of Rose and gave us plastic wine glasses to accompany the bread/cheese and olives.
We never forgot those words and they are correct in every detail

I was very fortunate last year in France, my second time walking on some of the Chemin. Two lots of people I'd met on my first Camino in 2008, were both genuinely interested in my well-being on the route. I knew that a couple in the Bourgogne region, and a couple in Moissac were both keeping an eye on my progress, and that I could call upon them if I needed help.

I started walking from Cluny, not such a well traveled route. My friend from Bourgogne, who I had first met not far from Santo Domingo in 2008, actually walked the first two days of the route with me. He made sure that I understood how the coquille signs showed direction, and that I could use the guidebook properly to find food and accommodation. They were only a phone call away, and sometimes I rang them and sometimes they rang me, just checking in on how things were going. It was quite lonely on this part of the route, and it was wonderful to hear some voices I knew.

Then when I reached Le Puy en Velay, and more well traveled territory, there was almost a seamless 'changing of the guard'. I knew that I could ring my friends in Moissac at any time. And indeed while I was on the first day crossing the Aubrac Plateau, and the temperature reached about 30C, and I was in a tee-shirt, I did just that. The first time I had walked there it was pouring with rain and I was just about hypothermic, and I had to share my amazement at the contrast with someone! A few days later when I had a foot injury I rang again, and sure enough, I was able to hop off the chemin, and go and stay with them for a while.

Such hospitality, such friendship. Yes I was blessed.
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back