• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kit for camino??

Oceanroc7

this is the final list of kit I will be taking (and wearing) to Peublo de Sanabria on Monday 6th August.
Why oh why does it still weigh 7.7 kg!!!

I guess the handbag is a luxury and the phone weight loads too.

Attachments

• 2012-08-03 08.28.33 (640x480).jpg
    2012-08-03 08.28.33 (640x480).jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 1,496
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Your backpack itself probably weighs at least 3kg! Safe travels!

You've both made excellent points: containers can have significant weight, and looking for lighter-weight alternatives can really pay off. Watch out for packs and sacks made with heavy-weight material or having unnecessary zippers and other fasteners. Have you weighed your backpack? Can you substitute a compressible daypack for the purse?

There are two other major culprits when battling weight:
- Paper. This is the heaviest substance known to man. Can you do your print-outs back-to-back? Can you minimize your books?
- Liquids. Water, and anything containing water, is heavy. Can you substitute dry versions for any of your toiletries?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks for the tips.

My pack is an Osprey Kestrel 68 and weighs in 1.47 kg including waterproof cover. I have already got a lighter one in the past 12 months but am reluctant to get one too light as they can become almost fragile when they get ultra-light.
I have cut off loads of unnecessary straps, and shortened others.

You are so right about the weight of paper - I have just bought the Kindle version of Gerard Kelly's guide to the Camino Sanabres and so that is on my HTC phone. Much better than taking a guide book with me!

My phone is now my camera, map, guidebook, GPS (if necessary) translation guide and (of course) phone.

Fragile is OK.

The Camino is not a rock scramble, heavy brush, or cliff-lift activity. All the ultralite packs are adequate on the issue of strength.

I am fond of the osprey packs myself, but a 68L model is overkill. My first walk, I used an Osprey Kestrel 48. Very comfortable unless it was a hot day, and roomy. Second walk, I downsized to an Osprey Kestrel 38L. Still comfortable unless it was hot, but a snug fit on the gear. Both the Kestrels suffer from putting the water bladder in the small of my back, so there is no airflow there. So the third walk, I took the Osprey Exos 46, which is the lightest of the three, has the water bladder sleeve inside - preserving the airflow across my back. I strongly recommend the Exos 46. Unlike the Kestrel models, it is not adjustable for torso length, so be sure to get measured and check the sizing. It is a very sturdy pack, surviving all sorts of mistreatment.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have got this packing business down to a science I think. Here is my pack and kit which I took this past July and on 2 previous Caminos in July (SJPdP-Fisterra and Sevilla-Zamora). It weighed in at 5,5 kg without water:

w0hv9g.jpg

The poncho and camera stayed on the bottom of my pack (on the Via de la Plata last year I didn't even take a poncho). And this year I had an iphone with me and ended up taking pictures with that instead of my camera. Will ditch the camera next year.

I am truely a minimalist: 2 of everything (t-shirts, capri leggings, socks and underwear) + skirt and fleece. Toiletries include an all-in-one liquid soap. Not sure how much my pack weighs but it is an Osprey Aura 35L which was more than big enough - even had extra space.

Look forward to hearing about your travels as I plan on doing the stretch Zamora to Santiago via the Camino Sanabrés July 2013.

Cheers,
LT

Wow LT! That is some serious lightweight stuff and walking with 5.5 kg sounds superb.
It means you must be able to easily carry the required water (at least 2 litres I reckon on some days) without killing your knees.

I got my husband to vet my kit and have thrown out my bodywarmer and long-sleeved T-shirt and exchanged my thick buff for a thin one. I will also ditch the gloves and am thinking of going without waterproof trousers, although part of me still thinks I might need them in Galicia even in August.
The trousers only weigh 90 g so I will probably take them...

I am vain enough to want hair shampoo but that will also wash my clothes and body.
I wear contact lenses so lens solution and also glasses are a must as a back-up.

Thanks for your photo and wish me luck!!
Rachel

Never take trousers but then again I have had great luck with weather - sunny, warm (and hot) days. My fleece was used in the morning and within an hour was pealed off. I also never encountered a drop of rain, even in Galicia.

Water is never an issue along the Francés as there are fountains everywhere and frequent towns, 2 500 ml bottles were always sufficient. The Via de la Plata from Sevilla was TOTALLY another story! I carried a 2L platypus in addition to my bottles and drank every drop. My body used it all as I never had to stop along the way...When I arrived I drank more and even with that my urine was always orange!

As you are starting in Pueblo de Sanabria I assume that you will be ok. The towns are closer together along the Sanabrés and the weather is cooler north of Salamanca.

How exciting for you - good luck and of course...buen camino :D !

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
looks like you are weighing what you wear ?

if not you have one pair of shoes too many...

I a down to 4,2 kg including sleeping bag and backpack which is 1,5 kg together

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.