• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kitchen Facilities on Camino Ingles

lindam

Time of past OR future Camino
Fr, VDLP, Invierno, Port, Madrid, Ingles, Aragones
My husband and I are now in the early stages of making plans to walk the Camino Ingles (after walking the Portuguese Camino) starting in October 2017. We like to stay in albergues with kitchen facilities allowing us to prepare our own meals, whenever possible. I am wondering if anyone can comment on the availability of albergues with equipped kitchens along this route? Any insights would be appreciated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Seems to be policy in virtually all the Xunta albergues in Galicia that there are no cooking pans, plates, cups or other utensils. So you may find cookers and sinks but nothing at all to cook in or to eat or drink from.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Seems to be policy in virtually all the Xunta albergues in Galicia that there are no cooking pans, plates, cups or other utensils. So you may find cookers and sinks but nothing at all to cook in or to eat or drink from.
That was our experience too. Also for early in the year walkers - no blankets either in some places.

I stand to be corrected but none of the albergues on the Camino Ingles have equipped kitchens to my knowledge. There used to be a baby belling in Bruma but ...
Same observation. Albergue in Betanzos had a microwave and a kettle but that's it.

- Albergue de Neda: fully equipped kitchen, don't remember about the fridge though,
- Pontedeume: no kitchen at all,
- Mino: there is a kitchen but no pots, pans etc.,
- Betanzos: kitchen with microwave and kettle as already mentioned,
- Presedo: very poorly equipped kitchen but possible to cook,
- Bruma: same as in Presedo,
- Sigueiro: private albergue-like apartment on Avenida da Grabanxa (hospitalero in Bruma has the exact address and tlf.number) had completely equipped kitchen with huge fridge.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks so much, KinkyOne, for this information. It would seem that generally speaking I should be prepared not to cook or to cook in a limited way while walking this route.

Thanks so much, KinkyOne, for this information. It would seem that generally speaking I should be prepared not to cook or to cook in a limited way while walking this route.
Exactly. It's common situation in Xunta albergues in Galicia. But if carrying a lightweight tin pot and a plate you'll be able to cook some pasta or soup for a light dinner. Spork and (swiss army) knife with cork screw are also handy ;)

Thanks for useful news. We are starting tomorrow. What about shops for bread, butter etc along the route? And opening hours in weekends?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for useful news. We are starting tomorrow. What about shops for bread, butter etc along the route? And opening hours in weekends?
You can find all infrastructure (shop, bar/restaurant) in all villages/towns with albergues except in Presedo and Bruma where are only restaurants. From Bruma you can walk 2kms off the Camino to Meson do Vento which has a shop.

There are also intermediate bars and/or shops on every stage.

If you want to be prepared for any eventuality then buy your next day's provisions the afternoon before.

If buying on the day:-
Buy your provisions in the first shop you see open, especially on a Sunday.

Some shops will close for the weekend on Saturday lunchtime. Cafe-bars have differing closed days so it is usually easy to find one open. Again - never pass a good bar on a Sunday. This is particularly true between Neda-Pontedeume and Sigueiro-Santiago on a Sunday. There is a great confiteria at the crossroads in (I think) Fene.

We carried a tin of sardines in tomato and some bread as emergency rations. Renewed the bread daily along with other supplies, but the tin of sardines finally got eaten here at home.

Many thanks, Tia Valeria, for your ideas. Much appreciated!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
- Albergue de Neda: fully equipped kitchen, don't remember about the fridge though,
- Pontedeume: no kitchen at all,
- Mino: there is a kitchen but no pots, pans etc.,
- Betanzos: kitchen with microwave and kettle as already mentioned,
- Presedo: very poorly equipped kitchen but possible to cook,
- Bruma: same as in Presedo,
- Sigueiro: private albergue-like apartment on Avenida da Grabanxa (hospitalero in Bruma has the exact address and tlf.number) had completely equipped kitchen with huge fridge.
I cooked at Mino June 5th 2017 - pots and pans there, cutlery etc no probs. Clean and plesent.
nb when it is closed call the number on the gate. Lovely place.

Thanks for the updated information, Ralph!

My husband and I are now in the early stages of making plans to walk the Camino Ingles (after walking the Portuguese Camino) starting in October 2017. We like to stay in albergues with kitchen facilities allowing us to prepare our own meals, whenever possible. I am wondering if anyone can comment on the availability of albergues with equipped kitchens along this route? Any insights would be appreciated.

Sigueiro: private albergue - Albergue Real Small kitchen, fridge, microwave. Excellent faciltities.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you, Handzondeck2, for the information!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back