• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Knee-guards

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
riatolken said:
Do you think - wearing knee-guards can prevent injuries?

Knee-guards?....do you mean knee supports?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hola nellpilgrim,
riatolken said:
Do you think - wearing knee-guards can prevent injuries?
A search of the web from medical sources don't give knee guards/supports a great deal of credit (other than post operative).
However, as someone with years of problems with one knee, I find it does add a "sense" of stability for me. I sometimes use a "Patella Tendon Support" (strap just below the knee) and I find this gives me a sense of comfort when walking, if the knee is feeling a bit "thingy".
I find that "trekking poles" are a much better option for my knees, both for stability and support.
Still, I carry a knee support in my kit, just in case I feel I need it.
Buen Camino
Colin

Hi Colin,
I was actually just uncertain what the initial poster was referring to! But I use both walking poles and heavy duty knee staps (shattered both kneecaps as a kid still have a phobia about parquet flooring :shock: ) or, if the terrain is ok, then those little single stap things you mentioned. I guess I've got used to full knee staps and the payback is a I can walk long distances without too much trouble. I wouldn't be able to do squat-diddley-do without them that's for sure.

Hola nellpilgrim,
Sorry about my confusing post, I meant to reply to the original poster "riatolken", was not meaning to seem critical of your reply. Still your answer added very well to "riatolken" questions.
Again sorry about he mix up.
Colin

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
colinPeter said:
Hola nellpilgrim,
Sorry about my confusing post, I meant to reply to the original poster "riatolken", was not meaning to seem critical of your reply. Still your answer added very well to "riatolken" questions.
Again sorry about he mix up.
Colin

No worries Colin....though I'm glad you're not critical of my reply as that would be a first for me :lol:
Nell

I have knee guards (that's what I call them anyway) or supports that I wear every time I go hiking. The ones I have a neoprene and have velcro at both the top and bottom of it. Most importantly for me, there is a hole for the kneecap. My problem is with my kneecap not tracking correctly and for that it makes a significant difference. I also always walk with poles.

I suspect that a knee brace is overkill for the vast majority of people on the Camino. However, as someone who no longer has ANY ligaments in my knee (due to a Camino accident and 3 surgical procedures; http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/health-insurance.6068/), I used this on my left knee while walking last year: https://www.shockdoctor.com/ultra-knee-support-with-bilateral-hinges. I tried several other ones before settling on the top end Shock Doctor one; it is far and away the best/most comfortable/most supportive I found. If you need a brace, consider this one.

I also strongly recommend that you use a sheath under the brace to prevent chafing. I recommend either Sun Knees in hot weather (http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=125&product_id=1794903) or any cycling knee warmer in cooler weather.

If you have knee problems of any sort, I also strongly recommend using trekking poles (especially http://www.pacerpole.com). If used properly (something I saw less than 10% of users doing on the Camino), they take a huge load off of the knees, especially on descents. If used improperly, they are practically useless.

I am happy to answer any questions about my own experience with walking the Camino with a very bad knee. At one point, I told my wife that my knee was the only part of my body that did not hurt.

Me and Knee Brace in SdC.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back