• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Knee length macabi as a rain skirt

Eve Alexandra

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Astorga-SDC, April 2022 SJPP-Muxia
I have the longer one already that I was planning to take to throw over leggings if it rains. But I hate how much it weighs (11ish oz). Then I got to thinking perhaps the shorter one would be fine for some rain protection along with a rain jacket in April/May. I am not looking for the protection of rain pants...just for a little more coverage in case of a deluge. Thoughts? And does anyone know how much the knee length one weighs (sz lg)?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello, Eve! I remember you. I recall you having quite a few posts before your first camino when you were preparing to walk, but didn't hear afterward how you fared; maybe I just missed it.
Glad to see you are planning another camino. Welcome back to the forum!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How about a rain kilt/skirt. This one weighs 65 gm/2.3 ounces.

I could take a standard rain skirt, but I was thinking dual purpose. A skirt is useful after an albergue shower to get covered without having your pants touch the gross wet floor. lol And if I needed to, I could wear it to hike in, or to wear in the evenings.

Hello, Eve! I remember you...Kanga's cousin! I recall you having quite a few posts before your first camino when you were preparing to walk with her, but didn't hear afterward how you fared; maybe I just missed it.
Glad to see you are planning another camino. Welcome back to the forum!

I did ask a lot of questions in 16 and early 17! :D Camino was fabulous. Took a year off to do a yoga/walking thing in Ireland, and am very much looking forward now to finishing the steps I missed the first time. And maybe the Norte after that. ;) #obsessed

@KJFSophie posted a really awesome hiking skirt quite a while ago. It came in some really cool patterns and in two lengths. I think it may have been wrap around, very flattering in the pictures and I was impressed. You could PM her to send you the link.
Happy planning!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have the longer one already that I was planning to take to throw over leggings if it rains. But I hate how much it weighs (11ish oz). Then I got to thinking perhaps the shorter one would be fine for some rain protection along with a rain jacket in April/May. I am not looking for the protection of rain pants...just for a little more coverage in case of a deluge. Thoughts? And does anyone know how much the knee length one weighs (sz lg)?

Super lightweight option is a rain kilt. Small, almost weightless, super practical and quick on and off for those days that just can’t decide what it wants to do. Also great for wind protection on chilly days.

Super lightweight option is a rain kilt. Small, almost weightless, super practical and quick on and off for those days that just can’t decide what it wants to do. Also great for wind protection on chilly days.

Colette, how the heck are you, woman???!!! <3 So good to see your face! Every time I think about my camino I remember how we talked because we started like 2 days from each other. lol

I could go with a rain kilt. I may do that. I was just thinking that a knee length macabi can be used as evening wear, to put on my bottom half directly out of the shower so my pants don't touch the wet floor in an albergue, and if necessary, I could hike in it too. Still kinda debating what I want to do. That's why I'm wondering how much it weighs.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I love my Macabi skirts and have worn one the last several caminos.
It protects my legs from rain, especially when coupled with my ALTUS.
I generally walk in March/April/May and see plenty of rain, but never really have gotten soaked.
No need for a rain skirt in my opinion.

I love my Macabi skirts and have worn one the last several caminos.
It protects my legs from rain, especially when coupled with my ALTUS.
I generally walk in March/April/May and see plenty of rain, but never really have gotten soaked.
No need for a rain skirt in my opinion.

Definitely don't need both, I agree.

I could take a standard rain skirt, but I was thinking dual purpose. A skirt is useful after an albergue shower to get covered without having your pants touch the gross wet floor. lol And if I needed to, I could wear it to hike in, or to wear in the evenings. I am all for dual purpose.
Yes I think it is a good idea. The Macabi sheds raindrops and dries really quickly. The knee length one looks smart too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back