• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Knee pain on the camino

peregrina2000

Staff member
For the first time ever, I had knee pain after about three weeks walking. I am assuming it developed on the killer descent from San Juan de la Pena and then gradually built up over the next week or so, until it was actually hurting when we walked into Puente la Reina.

I got a good knee brace and set out on the Invierno. I reduced my distances to stay under 30 and walked more slowly, so it was totally bearable but not enjoyable.

Once in Santiago, I was taking a walk with a friend on the lovely path along the Rio Sarela (just beautiful, hard to imagine you are a stone's throw from the city) and decided to take off the knee brace just to see how my knee felt without it. Surprise -- it felt much better WITHOUT the brace!

I've been home for almost three weeks. My ailment has been diagnosed as patellar tendonitis, nothing to do with the miniscus, and it is gradually decreasing. My PT expects a complete recovery. But for people with knee pain on the camino, I think the message is that you shouldn't be so quick to assume a knee brace is the right thing for you. Buen camino, Laufrie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had a different experience. I limped into Pamplona with my first ever knee pain. I bought a knee strap at the first little village past Pamplona (the name escapes me right now) and the pain went away almost instantly. I continued to wear the strap that day and the next and never had any trouble after that.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Finally someone other than myself says the decent from Monastero viejo de San Juan de la Peña was "killer". One of the most beautiful trails I've ever been on but I don't think I would of made it down without trekking poles. A grueling two plus hours. The greatest reward was the village at the bottom, Santa Cruz de la Serós where I recovered from both the accent to the new coming from Montserrat and the decent from the old. Wonderful inn, wonderful food and many kind residents who did not see many pilgrims so were very happy to meet you.
Monastero viejo I was in awe, Santa Cruz I was in love, the trail in between I was in hell!

Knee stories are giving me shivers. I hurt my knee last week and had to take 5 days off. Seeing doctor Friday. Scary to imagine if it happen on the Camino.

For the first time ever, I had knee pain after about three weeks walking. I am assuming it developed on the killer descent from San Juan de la Pena and then gradually built up over the next week or so, until it was actually hurting when we walked into Puente la Reina.
. Buen camino, Laufrie
I also did my knee in on the descent from S. Juan de la Peña. Didn't realize how much for a couple of days more, but my knee became terribly swollen and, of course very painful. I accepted a lift with a nice French lady, who, unable to walk herself, due to a recent operation, was accompanying three lady friends by car. One was a doctor and she insisted that I gave my leg a rest. I bought a knee support in Puente de la Reina and then continued walking, using two walking poles, with no further difficulty to Santiago.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had a different experience. I limped into Pamplona with my first ever knee pain. I bought a knee strap at the first little village past Pamplona (the name escapes me right now) and the pain went away almost instantly. I continued to wear the strap that day and the next and never had any trouble after that.

HI, Cher,
I think if I had bought what I think you mean by a "knee strap", I would have been better off, since that is for the pitella. I bought a knee brace and while I don't think it aggravated the pain, I don't think it did me any good.

I'm really not sure how we can tell which one of these devices is most likely to be good for a hurting knee, though. Does anyone know how to distinguish tendonitis from some sort of miniscus problem?

Hi Laurie, sorry to hear of your knee problem and very glad that it is mending well now you are home.

My understanding of a knee strap is that it can be a very useful piece of equipment.

On my first camino I suffered with knee pain, surprisingly not from walking up or down hills, but after walking for many km's on a completely flat section between Castrojeriz and Fromista alongside the canal. When I stepped up onto the lock to cross the water, something pinged in my knee and I could not put any weight on it without terrific pain. I purchased an elasticated support, but am not sure it helped much/at all.

On my next camino (Portuguese) I took with me a couple of elastic straps which I thought might be more useful when I had the same pain, but it never occurred and I didn't use them.

However, being a bit cautious, I took the straps with me on the camino Mozárabe this year, although I still had no use for them in their official capacity - my knees behaved well and didn't give me any trouble. But the straps came in useful when havin to ford rivers on three occasions to keep my crocs strapped securely on my feet. I also loaned them to someone who needed to keep a bandaged foot dry in the shower to secure a plastic bag around their ankle. I shall certainly be taking them again but hope I don't need them for their intended purpose!
image.jpg image.jpg

I got a good knee brace and set out on the Invierno. I reduced my distances to stay under 30 and walked more slowly, so it was totally bearable but not enjoyable.

Once in Santiago, I was taking a walk with a friend on the lovely path along the Rio Sarela (just beautiful, hard to imagine you are a stone's throw from the city) and decided to take off the knee brace just to see how my knee felt without it. Surprise -- it felt much better WITHOUT the brace!

I've been home for almost three weeks. My ailment has been diagnosed as patellar tendonitis, nothing to do with the miniscus, and it is gradually decreasing. My PT expects a complete recovery. But for people with knee pain on the camino, I think the message is that you shouldn't be so quick to assume a knee brace is the right thing for you. Buen camino, Laufrie
I think that is why KT tape (not sure what it's called in Europe) has become so popular. Google it in videos and you will see an overview. Granted your condition being quite serious might not have responded, but I definitely have some in my pack. Hope you continue to heal nicely….

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think that is why KT tape (not sure what it's called in Europe) has become so popular. Google it in videos and you will see an overview. Granted your condition being quite serious might not have responded, but I definitely have some in my pack. Hope you continue to heal nicely….
Thanks, maggie, my PT has actually put some kineseo tape around my knee cap. I'm wondering whether the placement of the tape is the same for pitella tendon problems as for miniscus problems. (I don't really know what I'm talking about, but the fact that the brace didn't really help my pitella leads me to believe that different treatments may be warranted for different knee ailments, which makes sense to me). Buen camino, Laurie

Delighted at your recovery Laurie! Looking forward to one day doing a walk with you.

Thanks, maggie, my PT has actually put some kineseo tape around my knee cap. I'm wondering whether the placement of the tape is the same for pitella tendon problems as for miniscus problems. (I don't really know what I'm talking about, but the fact that the brace didn't really help my pitella leads me to believe that different treatments may be warranted for different knee ailments, which makes sense to me). Buen camino, Laurie
I know about as much as you. When for the first time ever in my long life, my knee did a number on me, my PT used this tape. To the best of my understanding it works on the fascia. In my case there was some inflammation, but it was gone in two days and has been great even with all my training walks, but I'm still taking some with me. Maggie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know about as much as you. When for the first time ever in my long life, my knee did a number on me, my PT used this tape. To the best of my understanding it works on the fascia. In my case there was some inflammation, but it was gone in two days and has been great even with all my training walks, but I'm still taking some with me. Maggie

Showing my total ignorance here, but is the fascia different from the pitella and the miniscus? So I've got three different potential knee injuries to sort out? Thanks, Laurie

I read somewhere on here that the best way to go downhill and save your knees is to make your way down in a zig-zag way. I don't know if this works but I will be sure to try it on our Camino this September.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
To quote a quote I heard a while back "When I told you hello, I told you all I know!". I guess we both could go to Dr. Google.

I read somewhere on here that the best way to go downhill and save your knees is to make your way down in a zig-zag way. I don't know if this works but I will be sure to try it on our Camino this September.
I don't know about downhill, but I sure use it for uphill. The kids in India (where I volunteer) showed me this when we were about to climb to a temple that had 108 steps!

The good news here: it works ! Well, for me. I used to have problems with my knees going downwards. I noticed Spanish locals - twice my age - zigzagging at amazing speed downhills and decided to try this myself. I could notice the difference, so I think it is worth trying and see how this works for you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I found a good book - The Knee Crisis Handbook - by Brian Halpern.

The knee brace is only good for specific causes of knee pain and is useless for most causes of knee problems.

I had knee pain and bought a knee brace too. And then I met an Australian woman who was wearing Skins, like cyclists wear. She said the Skins "hold everything together".I did away with the brace and wore the Skins and had no further problems. I have used them since when hiking and found them excellent.

I suffered a serious knee injury several years ago resulting in 3 months off work.I spent a fortune on visits to the osteopath which,apart from one recurrence,seems to have fixed it.I carry a light elasticated knee bandage "just in case" but,touch wood,on over 2000 miles (1300 on caminos) of walking in the last two years I haven't suffered even a twinge.
I can vouch for the zig-zag method for going downhill,I do it all the time and can descend relatively safely and quite fast.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have used the zig zag downhill method in the past, just because it seemed more sensible than plunging down steeply, but unfortunately on the way down from San Juan de la Pena there is absolutely no way to zig or zag, you are lucky if you can stay standing. But it was oh so worth it, so I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining.

I guess the upshot of all these comments is that unlike tendonitis in the shins, pain in the knee could be due to a lot of different things so maybe a medical diagnosis is a good idea before choosing a brace, strap or some other device. Thanks everyone, Laurie

I have used the zig zag downhill method in the past, just because it seemed more sensible than plunging down steeply, but unfortunately on the way down from San Juan de la Pena there is absolutely no way to zig or zag, you are lucky if you can stay standing. But it was oh so worth it, so I don't mean to sound like I'm complainingLaurie
Exactly...., there is no possibility to zig zag down the track from S. Juan de la Peña. It's narrow, steep and rocky! But, yes, the visit was soooooo worth it.
Normally I do go up and down hills zig zagging.

I had knee pain and bought a knee brace too. And then I met an Australian woman who was wearing Skins, like cyclists wear. She said the Skins "hold everything together".I did away with the brace and wore the Skins and had no further problems. I have used them since when hiking and found them excellent.
If tell me what 'skins' are I will tell you what a Canadian 'Toque' is (unless of course you are Canadian):>)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I had som knee problems too, and only used a tube elastic band that I cut off at a reasonable lenght
I too have heard that very tight kneebands can be counterproductive to say runners.
I however felt that this kind of slightly looser elastic band kept my knees warm and thus gave me some relief.
From one that originally opposed to the use of walking poles, I however became a total convert as I pulled out my Leki Micro poles, bought for emergencies, and it duly saved my knees and my camino.
To relieve the stress going downhill you need to perform the four-legged animal gait and this dampens the thud on your wounded knee(s) as it it/they hit(s) the ground.
Stick your pole on a firm patch or ground or rock in front of you before taking the step. Works wonders, looks silly, but gets you hundreds of feet down in the end of the day so who cares.....

I had som knee problems too, and only used a tube elastic band that I cut off at a reasonable lenght
I too have heard that very tight kneebands can be counterproductive to say runners.
I however felt that this kind of slightly looser elastic band kept my knees warm and thus gave me some relief.
From one that originally opposed to the use of walking poles, I however became a total convert as I pulled out my Leki Micro poles, bought for emergencies, and it duly saved my knees and my camino.
To relieve the stress going downhill you need to perform the four-legged animal gait and this dampens the thud on your wounded knee(s) as it it/they hit(s) the ground.
Stick your pole on a firm patch or ground or rock in front of you before taking the step. Works wonders, looks silly, but gets you hundreds of feet down in the end of the day so who cares.....
Neils I have been training with some borrowed poles here in BC, (I am purchasing mine in St. Jean) and I agree. At first I thought "No way can I have my hands occupied all the time, then there was the constant clicking, even with the rubber tips on, which are not that good in loose gravel and other conditions anyway. The sound drove me bonkers, but when I stopped walking with them; voila! could I ever feel the difference. I am now a devotee' to be sure.

Most knee problems out there are stretched overworked inflamed muscles and ligaments, not internal knee construction faults (when those happen it is often the end of your Camino). Knee braces are great - great for two reasons - they support, and they stop the muscles and ligaments stretching and wobbling around. However, if worn all the time they lead to soft muscles which will increase problems - so one has to use sense with them..
Wear them for support but don't wear them all the time - keep those muscles strong.
If you think that you may have dodgy knees then before you go pack a couple of braces and put them on before big ascents and descents then take them off afterwards - it will stop those muscles and ligaments over-extending and getting inflamed - prevention is good.

Also - those poor knees! most of the time it is inflammation from the extra work they are doing (and extra weight). We don't usually walk on rough surfaces, nor rough surfaces that are steep - and downhill is harder on knees than uphill. One has to look after them. At breaks rest them, elevate them - if necessary use anti-inflammatory gel on them. In the evenings ice pack them (bag of frozen peas will do) and elevate them. Also - take a day off, don't push on - take a day off and allow your poor body to recover!!
This is why, when booking flights before you go, one should add in a few rest days - terrible to see a pilgrim having an awful time carrying on because they have a flight booked three weeks down the timeline!

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If tell me what 'skins' are I will tell you what a Canadian 'Toque' is (unless of course you are Canadian):>)
Skins are compression garments. Used a lot here in Australia by footballers, runners, etc. They area available in long tights, 3/4 length, a calf compression (sort of like long socks without feet) and there are also singlets and tops available. The compression helps with support, circulation and helps prevent lactic acid build up in the muscles.

Here's a link to the website;

http://www.skins.net/au/ - so, what is a toque?

Cathy

Neils I have been training with some borrowed poles here in BC, (I am purchasing mine in St. Jean) and I agree. At first I thought "No way can I have my hands occupied all the time, then there was the constant clicking, even with the rubber tips on, which are not that good in loose gravel and other conditions anyway. The sound drove me bonkers, but when I stopped walking with them; voila! could I ever feel the difference. I am now a devotee' to be sure.

Re; the infernal clicking of poles :
Those rubber tips, I usually put them on in towns and untip poles as I leave for the open trail.
- I put them into my back pocket and have devised a technique which allows me to do do it on the fly without stopping.
Imagine locals having days of eternal and infernal tapdancers passing through town !!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Doctor diagnosis today was most likely tendonitis on inner knee. Seeing a therapist on Monday. I'll post back a separate post on regimen that I find out.

It settles the debate in my head about using one pole or two. Right now the more the better. The rubber tips did a lot to reduce the clicking.

I will just have to get used to having to hands full.

I did go for a five mile walk in the rain today to test rain gear and short gators.. Knee and gear both did well in a strong wind and rain. But, I did not go far or have hills.

I promise to separate posting on Monday for new topic for treatment.

Doctor diagnosis today was most likely tendonitis on inner knee. Seeing a therapist on Monday. I'll post back a separate post on regimen that I find out.

It settles the debate in my head about using one pole or two. Right now the more the better. The rubber tips did a lot to reduce the clicking.

I will just have to get used to having to hands full.

I did go for a five mile walk in the rain today to test rain gear and short gators.. Knee and gear both did well in a strong wind and rain. But, I did not go far or have hills.

I promise to separate posting on Monday for new topic for treatment.

Just an opinion. But having walked with Tendonitis in both Achilles, I needed to establish a walking 'pattern' that would not make matters worse.

I also got great advice from Physios along the way in Spain.

It seems to me to that the important elements are:

1. Maintaining a normal gait as far as possible. Otherwise this causes issues elsewhere due to over compensation.
  2. Not over stretching or over reaching in terms of stride. Even a slight extension of stride seems to cause issues over time.
  3. Maintaining good back posture. This is where poles help a lot. And two are required. Using one pole will cause an un natural bias in gait and weight distribution.
The good use of Poles is such a help in this type of long distance walk. I had to learn how to use them well, or I basically could not walk. It frustrated the hell out of me that 80-90% of pole users I came across had no idea how to use them and were basically just carrying excess weight!

Whilst no expert on the topic, maybe I'll make a video of how I used them. People tell me there are loads of videos out there on how to use poles. And I watched loads of them. None helped much....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Would you happen to have a photo of the knee strap?

Hi Cher, just saw it further down the thread. A photo from REI….thanks.

To be fair to doctors and their diagnoses - all "itis" means added to the end of a human part is "problem with that part" - it isn't a named 'disease', but it is easier than saying, with Tendonitis for example, " inflammation of the tendons" ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.