• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Knee pain - post Camino

Nicola Foster

Starting first Camino (Frances) end of August 2017
Time of past OR future Camino
No1 = 2017
Hello,

I'm recently home from my first Camino the Frances SJPP to Santiago.
I was thrilled to complete the walk in 40 days (including rest days), with no injuries and feeling in really good shape. (I had blisters, bed bugs and metatarsalgia but managed to handle all of those - as one does on the Camino!)

I now want to build on my fitness gained and put these strong muscles to good use, now I'm home.
Today a went for a run (I used to run before the Camino) and I literally hobbled along, both knees giving me quite a bit of pain.

I had no knee trouble on the Camino, although I did have some in my training.

I am hoping this will ease off and it's just a case of using different muscle groups.
If any physios or other body /exercise experts are on the forum and can give me any reassurance and tips for getting back to my running that would be wonderful.

Nicola

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nicola, from your photo we are not in the same league, but I was drawn by the title of your post! Knee pain? Knee pain? Hmm. I will not bore you, but my knee pain went after some time. I never run, so can’t check if there is any difference between then and now... seriously, Nicola, just give it time. Even my numb toes are sorted now.

Hello,

I was thrilled to complete the walk in 40 days (including rest days), with no injuries and feeling in really good shape. (I had blisters, bed bugs and metatarsalgia but managed to handle all of those - as one does on the Camino!)

I now want to build on my fitness gained and put these strong muscles to good use, now I'm home.
Today a went for a run (I used to run before the Camino) and I literally hobbled along, both knees giving me quite a bit of pain.

I am hoping this will ease off and it's just a case of using different muscle groups.
If any physios or other body /exercise experts are on the forum and can give me any reassurance and tips for getting back to my running that would be wonderful.

Nicola
have it checked out... not need to suffer... your body (knees) have gone through significant stress, and I know sometimes we don't even feel anything on the camino... and now your body is getting back to "normal -whatever that is after a Camino, and will act up a bit. Don't take any chances, knowledge is power and will help you be fit for the next one. Ultreia

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You're still healing from the Camino; there's probably inflammation you're not aware of, as well. Ice, rest, stretching, and moderate walking (no pack) or swimming for the next two months and you should be ok.

I had a similar experience, two weeks after returning one year, when my hiking group decided to tackle one of the stiffer hikes around here. Wiped me out.

Yes, I'm just back and don't feel at all fit! The cross trainer works for me - no strain on the knees or feet.

Hello,

Nicola
Congratulations on your first successful Camino (actually, there are no unsuccessful Caminos because we learn something new with each one).

In summary, you walked the Camino for 40 days and then, when you went for a run, you experienced pain. Here in Canada, I am a massage therapist and work all the time with a lot of people experiencing sports injuries. I imagine that on the Camino, your body strengthened effectively for someone walking 40 days with the length of your forward stride. Now that you are home and running, all of a sudden you have more than doubled the length of your stride. In other words, you need to re-adjust to a "new" activity. Go easy on yourself. Work yourself in gradually to running. Make sure that you are stretching. Maybe you need to ice after a run.

Here's a little anecdote: it's almost in reverse to your situation: on my first Camino from StJ to Santiago in 2010 at age 60, I suffered from degenerated cartilage in the knees (existing condition), then some tendonitis, shin splints and plantar fasciitis. When I walked again in 2015, although I was supposedly five years more decrepit, I walked pain-free. Same this past April when I walked the Via de la Plata. Yes, I have been more diligent at doing specifically the right exercises pre-departure. However, on the journey itself, I have determined that what keeps me injury-free is adopting my own speed and natural rhythm of walking. I will not speed up to keep up with others. So follow your own natural rhythm when running.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,

Nicola
Hi Nicola
You say you had metatarsalgia and managed. I too have metatarsalgia and will be commencing the Camino in April 2018. How did you deal with it? What did you do or use? I'm not worried about the long walk and can't wait to get there but I am worried/concerned about my metatarsalgia. What advice can you give me. Any information would be greatly appreciated

Here are some of things I did:

- first and foremost I rested very often (every 2k when it was bad) and elevated the foot and when possible removed my boot and massaged the foot
- massaged the foot and calf in the morning / evening
- used a tennis ball to massage the foot and the calf
- and last but not least, when needed, 600g Spanish Ibruprofen (with food)

Once I did this regularly, it eased off considerably.

I hope that helps!
Nicola

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Here are some of things I did:

- first and foremost I rested very often (every 2k when it was bad) and elevated the foot and when possible removed my boot and massaged the foot
- massaged the foot and calf in the morning / evening
- used a tennis ball to massage the foot and the calf
- and last but not least, when needed, 600g Spanish Ibruprofen (with food)

Once I did this regularly, it eased off considerably.

I hope that helps!
Nicola

Thank you so much for your advice. I have had orthotics made and they do help but I still have pain and discomfort. I will make sure I pack a tennis ball. On my last hike of 27km I stopped, took off my boots, rested and changed socks. So now I will add stretching and massaging. This is the first post I have seen from someone who has the same problem. Congratulations on completing the Camino!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.