• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Knee replacement!

Frank Mestre

Let’s Camino
Time of past OR future Camino
1st. Camino coming up 29th. April
Camino Frances here I come.
Hi I came back from completing the Camino Frances from SJPDP to Finistiere in June. Loved every moment. But I think it was the last straw for my left knee. Since I’ve had three cortisone injections, acupuncture but after X-ray it seems I have cartilage wear and all the muscle stenthening excersices im doing is just putting off a knee replacement. I am desperate to do the Camino del Norte next September. My question is has anyone done this with a knee replacement? I am 63 but otherwise fit. Any advise please. Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi I came back from completing the Camino Frances from SJPDP to Finistiere in June. Loved every moment. But I think it was the last straw for my left knee. Since I’ve had three cortisone injections, acupuncture but after X-ray it seems I have cartilage wear and all the muscle stenthening excersices im doing is just putting off a knee replacement. I am desperate to do the Camino del Norte next September. My question is has anyone done this with a knee replacement? I am 63 but otherwise fit. Any advise please. Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Yes - I have done 5 Caminos with a new right knee and will be doing my 6th in April 2019. I will turn 70 in Feb. Knee has not been a problem. Like a new lease on life.

I'm 63, 65 lbs. over weight, and have two total knee replacements this year. One in January and one in April. I did the Camino Portuguese in September with no problems. I've done the second half of the Norte and I don't think that would be much of a problem either after your surgery. My Norte was pre OP and it is the reason that I got my knees replaced. It about killed me but I would have no hesitation to do it now.
Two things for you to think about.
1. You will lose a lot of muscle in your post OP recovery because you will be sedentary. Building this back will be key to a successful recovery and any future Caminos.
2. The moment your surgery is over you will be in a race with scar tissue that will want to form around your wound. You'll learn more about this from your doctor and physical therapist who you may not even know yet but the biggest favor you can do for yourself will be to diligently do your assigned knee exercises despite the pain. Those excercises are what wins the race against a knee full of motion restricting scar tissue and will allow you to enjoy your next Camino. I don't think about my knees very much now although I am still careful about where I step.
My last Camino was 5 months post op and both knees functioned well. The Camino was very helpful in building back the muscle that I had lost. Good luck, you can do it. Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Had a total knee replacement 8 years ago and regret I did not have it sooner. Look for a surgeon who does a high volume of knee replacements and has a good references.
Ted

I had the same problems last year after completing the CF and CP from Porto. Years ago I had an ACL reconstruction, meniscus repair, etc. but the cartilage is very depleted. 1st cortisone shot gave me 4-5 months of relief but second one didn't seem to work. I would say my knee was down to about 40-50% usage at best. Pain was intense. Doctors think I am too young at 50 for a knee replacement and want me to wait until at least 60. A doctor at a sports medicine clinic suggested I try a Plasma Replacement Platelet (PRP) injection (different than cortisone). Cost me CAD $425. 6 weeks later the discomfort went way down. I walked the CP from Porto again this year and back to playing weekly ice hockey. I think my knee is about 70-75% now which is much better than last year. I also wear a carbon fibre knee brace for stability. Good luck.

Last edited:
Ann -I have 2 knee replacements and did the Camino Portugues after the 2nd one. No problems, but I would definitely use poles as it reduces strain on the knees so much. I plan to do the 2nd half of tghe V de la Plata in June 2019. Hope I make it. it is purpoted to be quite difficult. You'lll be fine on the C del Norte.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Frank, A decision was made last February for me to have a total knee replacement,but as I had already booked the Camino in April and had things to do in May we decided on a date in June. However I went immediately to the pre op physio class and so I did the pre op physio faithfully for eleven weeks. At the time I had no idea of how much these weeks of exercises would benefit me
After the operation I would have a nurse saying to me"But you can't do that you are only day two" or a physiotherapist saying "that is amazing ,you are only day three". Building up the strength of muscles before the operation really pays dividends.
Before I went in for surgery I booked next years Camino.
Good luck with your surgery and Buen Camino.

On our first camino in 2006 we met at Spanish gentleman who had had bilateral knee replacements and a hip replacement. He was also in his 70's. I work for an orthopaedic trauma surgeon (have for the last 20 years) and my advice would be to wait at least 6 months after your surgery and attend a biokinetic training program to strengthen the muscles around the prosthesis for the ascends and descends on the del Norte. Definitely speak to your surgeon about doing the camino. After that you will enjoy the absolute beauty of the route specifically the coastal.

I'm 74 and did the Norte in 2016 after a knee replacement. That one works better than the other. Never had a problem. I now climb mountains and volcanoes. You must be religious about going to therapy and doing the exercises at home.! Also try Syn-Visc injections which are cock's comb. Natural stuff. Good luck and buen camino. You can do it

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.