• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Knees

tinamanley

Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)
My son and his fiancee are hiking the Camino Frances and had gotten almost to Burgos when his knee gave out. He saw a doctor there who gave him a brace, pain prescription and told him to rest the knee for three or four days. They had not planned a hotel stay into their time or finances. Any words of advice and/or encouragement for him? My husband and I are planning to walk it next year and I have two artificial knees. Should I reconsider? I've hiked all over the world with these knees, including the Grand Canyon, up and down, twice. Is the Camino Frances possible with artificial knees? Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Your knees will be fine, I think.

Your son would be well advised to follow medical advice. The repetitive stress can cause permanent damage. After he tours Burgos, he could take a bus to Leon, tour it, then give continuation a try. If walking does not work, individual segments can be completed on a bus, say to Astorga, then Ponferrada, then Villafranca, then O Cebreiro, then Triacastela, etc.

I wish him well. I have walked through a bad ankle, and sympathize with him!

Someone will say it, so it might as well be me.......if you have bad knees I would highly recommend you using two hiking poles. My personal preference is Pacerpoles (having tried these, Lekis and a cheap Chinese imitation)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello, My knees had given me grief for years when I hiked downhill. My solution, besides two poles (for me an absolute necessity), is called a patella band or knee band. It is a velcro closed strap that goes just below the knee with a kind of gel "bar" that rests against the front leg. I have relied on these for years now and have not suffered anymore pain. They are cheap (under $20) and readily available at our US pharmacies. I don't know how they work but they really do. Also, two poles, as I said, are necessary for me. If you don't need both you can always give one to a suffering pilgrim on the way. :D

If you have walked into and out of the Grand Canyon twice with your artificial knees, you should be able to walk the Camino. That is one steep descent! And if you have any trouble with a particular type of terrain, you can always use a taxi or bus for a short way. I've done this to avoid steep descents into Zubiri and El Acebo/Molinaseca (due to life-long knee problems).

I'm going to add another voice to the general discussion on trekking pole suggestions. If you have knee problems, do not attempt the Camino without trekking poles...TWO of them. One trekking pole or a walking stick is insufficient if you have knee problems (tried it, ended up on the bus, a lot). There are some very steep descents on the Camino, and your trekking poles could make the difference between arriving in Santiago or not.

Then even more important, learn how to use them correctly. I use Leki poles, have on all but one Camino, and I swear by them. The Pacer poles are fancier (and more expensive?), I think. But here are my minimum requirements for trekking poles:

1. Collapsible / adjustable so you can make them longer on descents and shorter on ascents and flat terrain. Also makes it possible to put them in a checked bag and hang them from your pack when you don't need them.

2. If not Pacers, be sure they have wrist straps, and be sure you know how to use them.

3. Rubber tips that go over the metal tips for walking on paved surfaces. Critical for gripping the pavement and so the tap-tap-tapping doesn't annoy everyone else around.

If you are in the US you can pick up a DVD on how to use trekking poles correctly - http://adventurebuddies.net/03-03-dvd.htm You might check your public library for an early version of this, but that might be VHS and not DVD. Or we can meet up on the trail in April/May and I'll show you some tricks :)
Nancy

Thanks, Nancy. I have and use Leki poles. I would never hike without them! I've advised my son to look for some in Burgos, too. He's just using one stick now. I know he needs two!!

Thanks! Tina

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Best of luck to your son. Two poles will make a difference, for sure. The other thing is to check the weight of his pack - if it's more than 10% of his body weight, he should consider lightening it up. And lastly, I use orthotics in my boots because my feet 'pronate.' Or maybe it's my knees that do that. On my first Camino I had to buy an 'over-the-counter' pair in a pharmacy in Spain. He can find them in both Burgos and Leon.
Nancy

He has rested his knee for two days and still can't put any weight on it. They are staying at the convent albergue in Leon for a couple more days to see if it improves. If it doesn't and he can't walk any further, they will have to find very cheap accomodations somewhere in Spain until their wedding in Gibraltar on March 15th. Any suggestions along the camino? Thanks!

They can hang out here for a little while, if they don´t mind dogs.
They can get a train back to Sahagun, we live nearby, along the camino.

Reb.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks, everybody, for your help and advice. Tim has bought some treking poles and he and Jess are planning to try and do the last 100K of the camino, at a snail's pace! They are enjoying Leon a few more days and resting his knee before taking the bus on to Sarria. If you see a 6'6" bearded guy with a limp and his beautiful, blond fiancee, give them a hug and some encouragement. This is a very helpful forum! I'll be back when we start planning our trip next year.

Tina
http://www.tinamanley.com

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.