• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Knife/corkscrew

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances in 2016, Portuguese in 2017, and Frances again in 2018. Madrid to Ponferrada 2019.
I am trying to keep my weight down and want to bring a knife and a corkscrew and wondered what you all might recommend?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you intend travelling by air with cabin baggage only you will not be allowed to bring one on board. Same with trekking poles. If your pack is so large that it has to be checked in then you are probably not travelling light enough :) Very easy to find a small cheap pocket knife in hardware stores or the Chinese-run bazaars in most Spanish towns.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you intend travelling by air with cabin baggage only you will not be allowed to bring one on board. Same with trekking poles. If your pack is so large that it has to be checked in then you are probably not travelling light enough :) Very easy to find a small cheap pocket knife in hardware stores or the Chinese-run bazaars in most Spanish towns.
Thanks

I bought this Victorinox knife because I also wanted scissors. I am using a mailing tube to check my trekking poles and the knife, and carrying my pack onboard.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ah, @Anemone del Camino its because he's a male! Remember that thread on why their packs are so heavy? Although, as I carry fluffy bedrocks perhaps I should not laugh too much. And I have to say that corkscrews can be hard to come by in some albergues.

Ah, @Anemone del Camino its because he's a male! Remember that thread on why their packs are so heavy? Although, as I carry fluffy bedrocks perhaps I should not laugh too much. And I have to say that corkscrews can be hard to come by in some albergues.
Ah.... Boys and their toys. But waht is there worong with pushing a cork down in a crappy 2€ bottle of wine or hand, or bite, tearing chunks of cheese or jamon into a horrible CF piece of bread? Never mind that horrible bread, just chew into your chunk of chorizo and enjoy. It's not meant to be sliced thin! Ever!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We've always been able to locate someone with a corkscrew, so we don't carry one. French country knives are widely available for less than €10 (and very handy). I would just buy one on the first day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Looking at the photo posted by Bradypus of knife with corkscrew, I can confirm if blade length is less than 6cm then you may take it in cabin with you while travelling in Europe.

Yup, another "belly-button" issue. Everyone has one, and an opinion...;)

I started in 2013 with a Swiss Army Knife that had everything but the kitchen sink on it. I carefully evaluated all available models, then chose one with a scissor, corkscrew, locking 10 cm blade (the legal maximum is 11 cm), and the usual bevy of useful S/A knife tools...

By 2015, I was down to carrying a Gerber "Dime Travel." This is one of the Gerber "Travel" series pocket tools. The "Dime" has a very small blade and is NOT TSA legal.

BUT, the Gerber "Dime Travel" is specifically designed to be TSA-compliant. The Dime Travel has a small pair of pliers with a wire cutter, a small (but very sharp) scissor, a screwdriver, and a few other useful tools, all in a very small and very light package. See it here:

http://www.gerbergear.com/Multi-Tools/Butterfly-Opening/dime-travel_31-002777

By the way, Leatherman, the other BIG multi-tool manufacturer produces similar products. I have both and prefer the Gerber for added features. As long as there is no straight cutting blade (knife), under current TSA rules, you are good-to-go.

However, and because it is what I do, here are links to the Leatherman tools that I might recommend to you. IN BOTH cases, I recommend lightening the load by leaving the outer, black, wrench part home, and only taking the inner tool. THAT is the tool I have in an older model, called the "style PS."
I learned early on that a corkscrew is seldom needed on Camino, and someone else usually always has one. Increasingly the wine industry is actually moving to "screw top" wine bottles as they were found to be superior at keeping air out of the bottle over long periods of time. So, the corkscrew was a redundant feature...and wasted deadweight

The two tools I used the most over my three (so far) Caminos are the small scissor (to cut threads and moleskin (skin patches)), and the small pliers with wire cutter for too many tasks to count.

A straight knife blade is seldom needed, the scissors usually do the job with less flourish. But, again, someone is always their with their Camino "survival tool" knife if you need a cutting edge. On the other hand, you can purchase a very small, inexpensive pocket knife, or an Opinel locking collar knife anywhere along the Camino.

By way of comparison, my ĂĽber Swiss Army knife weighs 147 grams or 4.7 ounces without a case. My Gerber "Dime Travel" weighs 68 grams, or 2.4 ounces, including a small carabiner to attach it.:)

Also, the older Leatherman, Style PS I mentioned above, weighs 51 grams or 1.8 ounces, with an attached Nite-Ize carabiner to attach it to things.

You can draw your own conclusions... just remember that fractional or decimal grams and ounces DO ADD UP...

I travel regularly by air, both domestically and foreign with my Dime Travel in my pocket or in my carry-on. Security personnel are usually attracted to it, because on the x-ray, it DOES look like a pocket knife. Now, when I can remember, I remove the tool from my pocket and present it with my other "in plain sight" items on the scanning belt. Once the security folks see for themselves that there is no "blade" they are satisfied.

I hope this helps the dialog.:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You'll be everybody's friend if you have a corkscrew and a three way socket thing...trust me!

I learned early on that a corkscrew is seldom needed on Camino, and someone else usually always has one. Increasingly the wine industry is actually moving to "screw top" wine bottles as they were found to be superior at keeping air out of the bottle over long periods of time. So, the corkscrew was a redundant feature...and wasted deadweight

I used mine mainly for opening bottles of Asturian cider - which still comes with corks. And you could spent a long and thirsty time sitting under a tree with your picnic lunch on the Camino Portugues just now waiting for someone with a corkscrew to appear :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Looking at the photo posted by Bradypus of knife with corkscrew, I can confirm if blade length is less than 6cm then you may take it in cabin with you while travelling in Europe.

Wouldn't be sure of that. I had a tiny multitool (pliers etc) taken away at security at Bristol airport less than 2 weeks ago because it had a blade - even though the blade was barely 2cm long.

I recommend strongly to NEVER accept anecdotal evidence (even here in the forum) or testimony regarding what is or is not legal to carry-on to any aircraft. Posters relating experiences are doing just that.

With all due respect, none of their statements are policy or official procedure, including mine. I advise you to only rely on written advice from the authority or government agency responsible for security at a particular boarding area / airport, etc. Always err on the side of caution, checking items that might be "iffy."

If you printed a list of what was acceptable from the appropriate agency web site, and presented the printed copy to a security official, you MIGHT have a chance. Absent this, forget it...and the item you are trying to bring on board. Remember, these folks have a drop-dead serious job to do, and they have little if any sense of humor. They, and you, cannot afford the consequences. I always go along to get along, even though I am retired from the job and enjoy some special status, which I NEVER use to short-cut procedures.

At least that is my experience from nearly 30 years working for the US agencies responsible for border security and intelligence. Accept it or not. You makes yer decisions and you accepts the consequences.

I hope this helps.

People can make educated guesses on how the rules will be interpreted, but they should be prepared for a different outcome at the security check-in. They should not be unprepared or surprised or indignant :oops: :eek: :mad: when the security official makes a different ruling.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I recommend strongly to NEVER accept anecdotal evidence (even here in the forum) or testimony regarding what is or is not legal to carry-on to any aircraft. Posters relating experiences are doing just that.

With all due respect, none of their statements are policy or official procedure, including mine. I advise you to only rely on written advice from the authority or government agency responsible for security at a particular boarding area / airport, etc. Always err on the side of caution, checking items that might be "iffy."

If you printed a list of what was acceptable from the appropriate agency web site, and presented the printed copy to a security official, you MIGHT have a chance. Absent this, forget it...and the item you are trying to bring on board. Remember, these folks have a drop-dead serious job to do, and they have little if any sense of humor. They, and you, cannot afford the consequences. I always go along to get along, even though I am retired from the job and enjoy some special status, which I NEVER use to short-cut procedures.

At least that is my experience from nearly 30 years working for the US agencies responsible for border security and intelligence. Accept it or not. You makes yer decisions and you accepts the consequences.

I hope this helps.
Thanks

Ah.... Boys and their toys. But waht is there worong with pushing a cork down in a crappy 2€ bottle of wine or hand, or bite, tearing chunks of cheese or jamon into a horrible CF piece of bread? Never mind that horrible bread, just chew into your chunk of chorizo and enjoy. It's not meant to be sliced thin! Ever!
I might just be a boy and all, but I would offer the following . . .

16 grams Victronix "Classic" Swiss Army mini GI can opener".

I won't do the shoe thing to ANY bottle of wine, even plonk, and I like being able to recork the bottle with the last cup so that I have it to go in my water bottle with some juice the next morning. Kinda hard to cork a bottle when the cork's inside.

The GI can opener really opens up the range of what you can buy for lunch options.

The knife/scissors combo was everything I needed for cutting baguettes, fruit, opening thick plastic-seals over whatever, cutting off cheese/chorizo, first-aid stuff, etc. Since I was often cutting for the purpose of sharing, I figure that, by not slobbering all over those things as I ripped them with my teeth, I ought to be raised from the "boys with toys" to "gentlemen with manners" category. ;)

At combined weight of 38 grams, it's a no brainer (which makes up for when I won't ask for directions).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I might just be a boy and all, but I would offer the following . . .

16 grams Victronix "Classic" Swiss Army mini GI can opener".

I won't do the shoe thing to ANY bottle of wine, even plonk, and I like being able to recork the bottle with the last cup so that I have it to go in my water bottle with some juice the next morning. Kinda hard to cork a bottle when the cork's inside.

The GI can opener really opens up the range of what you can buy for lunch options.

The knife/scissors combo was everything I needed for cutting baguettes, fruit, opening thick plastic-seals over whatever, cutting off cheese/chorizo, first-aid stuff, etc. Since I was often cutting for the purpose of sharing, I figure that, by not slobbering all over those things as I ripped them with my teeth, I ought to be raised from the "boys with toys" to "gentlemen with manners" category. ;)

At combined weight of 38 grams, it's a no brainer (which makes up for when I won't ask for directions).
Agreed. I have no idea why someone would think it's a bad idea. Odd...
Nothing wrong with packing around a knife and a corkscrew (bottle opener nice to have, too). I carry one around in my pickup in the glove box. You never know when they can come in handy, and on the Camino they come in handy a lot. No way am I gonna push down the cork on a bottle of wine (I'm a bit of a redneck, but I ain't that redneck), even if it is a 2 euro bottle. Why sloppily tear apart your bread and chorizo (or your fruit and cheese) when a nice little pocket knife makes the task so much simpler? And yeah, you may be sharing it with others. After all, sharing is caring...:D
To future pilgrims reading this I recommend bringing a small folding knife and if you like to partake in fermented grape juice, a corkscrew. If you plan on checking in your backpack on flights, put it in the pack, if you are only doing carry-on with your pack, buy the knife and corkscrew when you get to Spain. Lot of little shops sell cheap ones. Perfect for the Camino and just toss them in a bin before you fly home.
I also carried a "spork". Came in handy when eating cups of yogurt that I bought at the grocery. Also, small lightweight plastic backpacking cups can be handy, too when sharing a bottle on the trail or in an albergue with no glass wear.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The recommendation to bring a swiss army knife came to me in the first instance from Lindseh and she is definitely not male:p

Yup, another "belly-button" issue. Everyone has one, and an opinion...;)

I started in 2013 with a Swiss Army Knife that had everything but the kitchen sink on it. I carefully evaluated all available models, then chose one with a scissor, corkscrew, locking 10 cm blade (the legal maximum is 11 cm), and the usual bevy of useful S/A knife tools...

By 2015, I was down to carrying a Gerber "Dime Travel." This is one of the Gerber "Travel" series pocket tools. The "Dime" has a very small blade and is NOT TSA legal.

BUT, the Gerber "Dime Travel" is specifically designed to be TSA-compliant. The Dime Travel has a small pair of pliers with a wire cutter, a small (but very sharp) scissor, a screwdriver, and a few other useful tools, all in a very small and very light package. See it here:

http://www.gerbergear.com/Multi-Tools/Butterfly-Opening/dime-travel_31-002777

By the way, Leatherman, the other BIG multi-tool manufacturer produces similar products. I have both and prefer the Gerber for added features. As long as there is no straight cutting blade (knife), under current TSA rules, you are good-to-go.

However, and because it is what I do, here are links to the Leatherman tools that I might recommend to you. IN BOTH cases, I recommend lightening the load by leaving the outer, black, wrench part home, and only taking the inner tool. THAT is the tool I have in an older model, called the "style PS."

The two tools I used the most over my three (so far) Caminos are the small scissor (to cut threads and moleskin (skin patches)), and the small pliers with wire cutter for too many tasks to count.

A straight knife blade is seldom needed, the scissors usually do the job with less flourish. But, again, someone is always their with their Camino "survival tool" knife if you need a cutting edge. On the other hand, you can purchase a very small, inexpensive pocket knife, or an Opinel locking collar knife anywhere along the Camino.

By way of comparison, my ĂĽber Swiss Army knife weighs 147 grams or 4.7 ounces without a case. My Gerber "Dime Travel" weighs 68 grams, or 2.4 ounces, including a small carabiner to attach it.:)

Also, the older Leatherman, Style PS I mentioned above, weighs 51 grams or 1.8 ounces, with an attached Nite-Ize carabiner to attach it to things.

You can draw your own conclusions... just remember that fractional or decimal grams and ounces DO ADD UP...

I travel regularly by air, both domestically and foreign with my Dime Travel in my pocket or in my carry-on. Security personnel are usually attracted to it, because on the x-ray, it DOES look like a pocket knife. Now, when I can remember, I remove the tool from my pocket and present it with my other "in plain sight" items on the scanning belt. Once the security folks see for themselves that there is no "blade" they are satisfied.

I hope this helps the dialog.:)
Regarding the "guy vs gal" comment earlier, I guess I'm a guy in disguise or something. Because I LOVE the Spanish barra bread. And I was very grateful that DH had brought his little corkscrew. (We checked our packs anyway. Not having to wrestle something down the airplane aisle that is too big to fit between the seats as you go is just liberating.) This last time, I brought a hussif: a small sewing kit which had some thread, a needle or two, a small scissors. Used the scissors to cut adhesive tape and gauze. Used the rest to fix the various things that came a little bit undone...memory keeps trying to say there was a camera case strap that needed repair. My hussif was just a piece of fleece with a bit of felt to hold things and a ribbon to close--with the whole thing in a zip-close sandwich back for dryness. [edit: "bag" not "back". Sorry!]
And 2 euro wine in Spain or Portugal is not a nasty thing. (We won't talk about their beer, though.) A barra and a can of sardines and a bottle of water, accessorized with a knife and a picnic table--food on that remote bit that has no food places.
When I got home I figured out how to make barra of my own. That's how much we liked it. But tastes do differ.
HTH

I am trying to keep my weight down and want to bring a knife and a corkscrew and wondered what you all might recommend?
I’m a woman and I don’t go “anywhere” without my knife / multitool. NEVER. So much for the “boys and their toys"

To each his or her own. I salute your independence...
No need for knife or corksrew or such....
There is joy in the breaking of bread...by hand - just as the pilgrims of old did. Cheese & other food can also be broken, in the same way.
No need for the additional weight on the Camino

Also, small lightweight plastic backpacking cups can be handy, too when sharing a bottle on the trail or in an albergue with no glass wear.

I thought a cup would come in handy, too, so I cut off the bottom third of a sports water bottle -- lightweight, yet fairly sturdy, too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No need for knife or corksrew or such....
There is joy in the breaking of bread...by hand - just as the pilgrims of old did. Cheese & other food can also be broken, in the same way.
No need for the additional weight on the Camino
Yes, because we are just like the pilgrims of old....o_O
Besides, who ever said ancient pilgrims didn't carry knives and other utensils with which to eat? Did you do a Google search and find a photo of them ripping apart bread and cheese with their hands and teeth? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a friend who could consistently pop the cork out of a wine bottle by hitting the base horizontally against a tree
scant vino is lost
and no it didn't break the bottle, and no ,not sure what you'd do on the meseta
nanc

I like that, thanks. I'll be on the lookout for one here.

Personally, I carried a Leatherman Juice CS4. It's my regular backpacking knife so I didn't think twice about taking it. Also, the weight is all relative. Since it weighs less than the Leatherman Wave I carry at work every day, and only a little more than my normal pocket knife, I didn't think it was a big deal.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Back