• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Knife?

Hi folks,

it's me again, sorry for all the questions. I may have dived in too quick, as I have already booked my ticket to spain. On the 1st of March I will be in St Jean. SO this means you will prob see a lot of panic questions.

Knife. People say that this is essential, my questions being;

Is it really? What extra tools should I look out for on said knife? Is it something I can buy when I am there, rather than transport it through airports?

Any advice is welcome.

Go raibh maith agat, do chara trid Criost.

Is Mise

Críostóir MacAodha

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You'd have to pack a knife in hold baggage, along with walking poles/scissors etc. Apart from a decent blade for cutting up cheese/bread/chorizo ,and so on, the most important attachment is a CORKSCREW!! Not much screwtop wine in Spain, though you sometimes find cartons in the larger supermercados.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sojourner47 said:
You'd have to pack a knife in hold baggage, along with walking poles/scissors etc. Apart from a decent blade for cutting up cheese/bread/chorizo ,and so on, the most important attachment is a CORKSCREW!! Not much screwtop wine in Spain, though you sometimes find cartons in the larger supermercados.

Yep. Something to burst blisters, cut plaster tape...and open beer and wine obviously! (Clean it first if you've been blister bursting, though. :) ) A basic Swiss Army type knife should do the trick!

Buen Camino!

You can get beautiful traditional peasant folding pocket knives in France, made by Opinel, with cherry wood handles and a twist lock. Extremely good carbon steel - not stainless -

- but .. personally, I carry a Swiss Army Knife, the Victorinox 'camper' (or is it 'hiker'?) every day, not just on the Camino.
Two blades, corkscrew! scissors, tin opener, bottle opener, toothpick, tweezers, awl, great for making holes in leather when needing to sew shoes or sandals back together, and a strange hook for carrying parcels tied with string - no, no idea why.

I find it a great tool. You can buy them anywhere in Europe. You will need to cut cellophane packages on some food items, trim nails and so on - also, if you use a toilet with a broken lock you can usually use the knife to push across and lock the door. :oops: :wink:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Arn said:
by Arn on 29 Jan 2012, 10:48
Rather than Trusting hold baggage with either a knife or cork screw, just purchase a simple knife in SJPDP and donate it to an albergue when you finish.
That's exactly what we do. We go to the first ferretería we see, buy our knife and donate it in Santiago. Anne

Whalleyranger said:
Good call on the corkscrew.

I also used my knife to whittle patterns into my walking stick.

That's a really good idea, a carving for every day or just a continuous one or somewhere inbetween :mrgreen:
......it's going to blunt the knife though.

Well, I don't drink alcohol anymore, so the corkscrew is not needed. I may wait until I get there, as suggested, and donate it when I am done.

However, I bought a souvenir when In paris, based on the swiss army knife, but the blade is basically sharp enough to cut string or cheese, when the blade closed on my finger, it merely dented the skin momentarily. But it has a decent pair of scissors. Sound good enough?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
No, Criostoir - a dull knife is like a , well, a dull thing - buy real! The Opinel, because it is carbon steel, can be sharpened on any nearby stone

David said:
You can get beautiful traditional peasant folding pocket knives in France, made by Opinel, with cherry wood handles and a twist lock. Extremely good carbon steel - not stainless -

- but .. personally, I carry a Swiss Army Knife, the Victorinox 'camper' (or is it 'hiker'?) every day, not just on the Camino.
LIke you I carry a basic swiss army style knife, with a single knife blade, can/bottle opener and a simple awl. No corkscrew.

When I carried an Opinel, it was confiscated as a lock knife in the UK. Apparently an illegal weapon. The irony was that I carried it into the country and wasn't asked to declare it, but had it confiscated on my departure to France, where it is on sale everywhere.

Doug

David said:
No, Criostoir - a dull knife is like a , well, a dull thing - buy real! The Opinel, because it is carbon steel, can be sharpened on any nearby stone

I agree. A dull knife is also far more dangerous than a sharp one. It takes more force to do any cutting, increasing the damage if you do slip. Not only will the wound be smaller, but a sharp blade makes a 'tider' wound should you be unfortunate enough to do yourself an injury, which will be easier to dress.

Regard

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
annakappa said:
That's exactly what we do. We go to the first ferretería we see, buy our knife and donate it in Santiago. Anne
Any "ferreteria", ask for a "cuchillo Navarra", you're set for a couple of Euros and have the sharpest and safe knife you may need until Santiago.

I bring a Leatherman "wave". A multipurpose tool.

David said:

Me too & a bit of spit too :) , mines going in my bag, in the hold :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I bring my late father´s penknife (it travels in the hold with my backpack and poles). It has one blade and a corkscrew...what more could you possibly need?
Sandra :arrow:

Sansthing said:
I bring my late father´s penknife (it travels in the hold with my backpack and poles). It has one blade and a corkscrew...what more could you possibly need?
Sandra :arrow:

hhmmm .. good point .. .though, small compartment to hold two paracetomol for hangovers? :lol:

I believe one should always travel with a good knife (or multi-tool). Unfortunately, I carry my luggage (backpack) on board and since I check no luggage, I cannot bring a knife with me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Going back to the "hold baggage" thought.

In 2008, I put my walking stick, extra meds, shampoo, sandals, camera batteries, knife, extra bandages, cold weather tights (no comments on Arn in tights), gators in the hold. They lost it on the direct flight from Dulles to Madrid.

Here's the learning point, if you can't get everything in the pack you'll carry on Camino, in the overhead compartment on the plane...you're already carrying to much stuff! Almost everything you MIGHT need can be purchased along the Way...if, indeed, you really NEED it.

Buen "now where's that corkscrew" Camino,

Arn

Arn said:
(no comments on Arn in tights)

You would never dream of commenting on a post about a guy wearing womens' underwear, would you, Arn? :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
antelope said:
Dang..that was one way I was going to reduce my pack weight.
They could be useful to put over your head if you're planning a banco-robbery, I suppose...

My swiss army knife never leaves my side.. i will work out a way of getting it to SJPDP!! And i second the opinel vote.. fantastic tools!

Arn said:
Here's the learning point, if you can't get everything in the pack you'll carry on Camino, in the overhead compartment on the plane...you're already carrying to much stuff! Almost everything you MIGHT need can be purchased along the Way...if, indeed, you really NEED it.

Buen "now where's that corkscrew" Camino,

Arn
Arn, I understand this sentiment, but I have just packed the CSJ recommended list into both a Dueter Guide 45+ and a Macpac AMP 40. In the Macpac, it comes in just under 10kg, which would be exceeded with the addition of trekking poles and some other things one might add such as a camera.

That is over the cabin baggage limit for most airlines, and both packs exceeded the 44li limit as well as the other dimensional constraints.

I have tried to pack the CSJ list into a Kathmandu Cane Toad, which I have used as cabin baggage for nearly a decade. At around 35 li, it just too small when packed with my gear. Admittedly, my clothing is L or XL, so someone smaller might get their gear into that pack.

I know that I could purchase some lighter equipment, but there are limits on how much one can justify chasing the weight saving when the cost of doing that often seems so high.

My own view is that I check my main pack, and carry a small travel bag in the cabin with my medicines, camera, travel documents and a small emergency pack. I have found a suitable day bag that weighs just 70gm that I intend to use for future trips like the Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
tyrrek said:
Arn said:

You would never dream of commenting on a post about a guy wearing womens' underwear, would you, Arn? :)
When I was doing my army commissioning course 35(+) years ago, there would be a run on tights and panty hose just before the winter field training at the local shops. There were few other good, cheap ways of adding an insulating layer without too much bulk or weight at that time.

Fortunately, I was married at the time, and did not have to personally run the checkout gauntlet with a couple of packs of panty hose :)

dougfitz said:
tyrrek said:
Arn said:

When I was doing my army commissioning course 35(+) years ago, there would be a run on tights and panty hose just before the winter field training at the local shops. There were few other good, cheap ways of adding an insulating layer without too much bulk or weight at that time.

Fortunately, I was married at the time, and did not have to personally run the checkout gauntlet with a couple of packs of panty hose :)

Honestly, I don't know. Is this just an army thing? We spend all our time suggesting that people don't take anything they MIGHT need, and then blokes say they were actually wearing tights! :lol:

Buen Camino!

I bought a tiny pocket knife (had a blade and fork) at a hardware store in Spain...lightweight, inexpensive and is a good souvenir.... next time I would get the one with a folding spoon for the roadside yogurt breaks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
grayland said:
Geez..I have never carried any kind of knife....now I wonder how I got by. :shock:
Me neither. I did carry a bottle opener/corkscrew, scissors etc, though. I've since bought a basic Swiss knife to simplify things in future. The actual blade will probably never be used!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My look-alike Swiss army knife certainly came into good use – just after Pamplona - where we were 12 persons around the table in the Zariquiegui albergue, with dinner set and unopened wine bottles on the table (just after the hospitalera and her assistant had vanished).

On this occasion, I certainly saved the day and would have been the first runner up in any popularity contest there, as the cork-screw in my knife seemed to be the only one available around the place.

My original Swiss knife: at one time I sadly forgot to remove my trusty friend for over 25 years from my hand luggage :cry:

annelise said:
unopened wine bottles on the table
We've got to the crux of the issue! :)

You are a bit slow sir(s), the are mens tights & yes l wear them made of you guessed Icebreaker merino wool, they are the bees knees, it's all part of the layering system, they have been on recently too.

Now what does not happen here but does in kiwi land that instead of midges in scotland you have sandflies & they are pretty ferocious too. you are recommended to where tights & shorts, sounds daft i know but it is a perfect solution :lol:

It's a bit like liner socks, liner gloves, liner legs :mrgreen:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
couteaux_opinel_95212.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Beautiful in its simplicity. I bought my Opinel in Paris about 10 years ago after years of enviously watching one of my brothers use his for almost anything that needed a sharp blade.

Doug

Yes, the tools on the Victorinox are great, and beautifully made - especially for the price! but the Opinel must be just about the finest working knife - that steel is absolutely superb.

Does anyone need to know how to sharpen their knife & keep it sharp easily, using 'water' & a stone, got shown by the Japanese in Kyoto, yes anyone can! :) You'll never go back to oil again!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Cause if you don't sharpen it regularly you spend more effort.
In 5 weeks on your Camino you should sharpen it many times!

We have a Victorinox Swiss Card. It is credit card size and has scissors, knife and other useful bits all for about 60gms weight. The knife is fine for cutting bread, meat and oranges and is about to go on its 4th Camino. Hasn't needed sharpening yet and it is exceedingly sharp. They do various others but not all have both scissors and knife.
Spoon/fork - we use Sporks.
We use the ferry not flights so have no problem with checking baggage. However if it could be a problem they are available in Spain.

CriostoirMacAodha said:
Hi folks,
it's me again, sorry for all the questions. I may have dived in too quick, as I have already booked my ticket to spain. On the 1st of March I will be in St Jean. SO this means you will prob see a lot of panic questions.
Is it really? What extra tools should I look out for on said knife? Is it something I can buy when I am there, rather than transport it through airports?
Any advice is welcome.
Is Mise
Críostóir MacAodha

The best knife and the lightest is the Opinel (number 6) only 26 grams.
You can buy one in St Jean. You can also buy one online but it is forbiden to carry on the plane in a hand luggage. I think you can put it in your checked baggage ?

http://alaquarelle.wordpress.com/20...-what-to-bring-in-your-backpack-for-st-james/

I didn't know about the Opinel until Abbeydore included the picture.

That's exactly the knife I purchased in SJPDP in 2008. What a great knife!

As I mentioned, I donated it to the Pilgrim's Pantry in SDC.

Arn

heavy (136gms) but stainless so not too manky after making a couple of sarnies and good for getting stones out of your hooves. twenty five quid delivered from shefftek.com

but an opinel makes sense if you are going to throw it away

britisharmyknifeopen.jpg

Had a look at the original questions .. included what sort of tools should be looked for on a knife ...

hhmm ... let's see ....

corkscrew (instant hero)
blade (for cleaning nails, opening plastic packages, whittling wood, locking bathroom door, pulling nails out of soles, scaring the heck out of souls, etc)
toothpick (charming smile, and that Spanish overcooked lamb does stick in there)
mini clockwork generator (to charge phone)
mini screwdriver blade (for tightening glasses screws)
scissors (nails, remove bits falling off kit, etc)
torch (to find knife in the dark)
tweezers (splinters, rescuing very small insects, etc)
pill compartment (two painkillers for morning after using corkscrew)
bottle opener (instant hero)

...eerrmm ... that's all I can think of right now :wink:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Are there any legal issues related to a knife in Spain and/or France?

for example:

1. Can I carry a fixed blade knife? If so, are there size restrictions? Can it be "hidden" such as around my neck? (Not really hidden, I just don't leave it hanging out since there is no reason to leave it hanging out.)

2. Can I carry a knife that has a locking blade? I was surprized this is illegal in some countries as it is much safer IMO.

3. Can I carry more than one knife? I typically have a leatherman type tool in my pocket and a smallish knife around my neck. The neck knife gets used when I need a knife, and the leatherman when I need something other than a knife!

I don't know of any legal issues ... if you are a man it is more likely to be illegal not to carry one! :lol:
Both countries are hunting countries, there are millions of men with guns and they go and try to shoot the remaining wild animals every now and again. In France the government breed hares and release them into the wild each year just before the season - a short life, rather sad. :?

I lived in a hamlet in France for some years, Dept 16, down in the south-west, and every man I knew carried a knife, usually but not always an Opinel - they come in different sizes by the way. There is also a French folding knife that has studs shaped as a cross riveted into the handle. I was told that before eating it is placed into the ground, vertical, and then a personal Grace is said - an old tradition. They are made by Laguiole - (there are variations - pic of one type below).
At a meal the men (including me once I bought one) would put their own knives on the table to use instead of the cutlery knife - this is quite normal.

In both France and Spain it is also legal to carry pepper spray, and easy to buy over the counter - go into any fishing/hunting shop for instance.

In England any blade that can be used as a weapon is illegal to carry, it depends on the length of the steel so a small pocket knife is legal but a knife with a blade that locks isn't (and pepper spray is an absolute no no).

A knife carried on a sheath on a belt would be considered normal if out fishing or hunting but not normal if one was doing the shopping....

others might have experiences that are different to mine, but this is what I have found.

Attachments

• Laguoile pocket knife.jpg
    Laguoile pocket knife.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 3,537
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In the most recent Pilgrim notes from the CSJ, they state that the Eurostar train system does not permit knives to be carried on board it's trains. This seems absurd. I have carried a modest Swiss Army pocket knife all my adult knife. How can they control this. Many Many men carry a pen knife. Do they do an inspection of all passengers boarding their trains, looking for knives? What gives? I'll concede the restriction for plane travel, but restricting knife carrying for train travel seems unrealistic. I may reconsider my Camino if such restrictions abound in Europe.

malcolmrobert said:
In the most recent Pilgrim notes from the CSJ, they state that the Eurostar train system does not permit knives to be carried on board it's trains. This seems absurd. I have carried a modest Swiss Army pocket knife all my adult knife. How can they control this. Many Many men carry a pen knife. Do they do an inspection of all passengers boarding their trains, looking for knives? What gives? I'll concede the restriction for plane travel, but restricting knife carrying for train travel seems unrealistic. I may reconsider my Camino if such restrictions abound in Europe.

I travelled on the Eurostar after my Camino in 2010. There is passenger and baggage screening, and if you have a knife either on you or in your baggage, it is confiscated. Further, if you are on the UK end, and you have a lock knife, you will be interviewed by the police for carrying a banned weapon. (BTW, an Opinel was considered to be a lock knife!)

There are many civilised countries that choose to protect their citizens from more dangerous assaults by imposing restrictions on carrying knives and other weapons, and other countries that claim to be civilised that do not choose to offer such protections.

If complying with the law in one country that is different from those in your own is sufficient to deter you from undertaking a Camino, it would seem you are easily deterred.

Most peregrinos carry a small knife or penknife. Even Ryanair accept it as cabin baggage [having measured the blade!!] Don't worry - a small knife is not a problem. And if some over-reacting official confiscates it - so what? Buy another in the first big town!
Buen camino!

Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

At what level is passenger screening on the Eurostar? Is this at the Airport level with pat downs and body scans, or is it more cursory? How would they know that a passenger has a knife buried in his back pack. Do they assume that all pilgrims carry an knife? How do they screen? That question wasn't answered in the responses so far. Would my hiking poles be confiscated? How about my nail clippers?

Just realized that my gorgeous, newly acquired Swiss Army knife has a lock blade. Bought it in an outdoor store in Toronto. Guess I won't bring that. Don't want the hassle. I accept that as the law of a country. Not a problem at home.

Do officials screen all passenger on all trains in Europe, or just this rail system?

Dougfitz. You suggest that maybe I am too easily deterred by the laws of one country. Seems I am being deterred by the regulations of a company, not the laws of a country. Please. Come to my country, Canada, and see if you are deterred by it's laws. I told you I have carried a knife in my pocket all my adult life. Never a problem. You didn't respond to that.

malcolmrobert said:

Here is the relevant regulation from Eurostar's carriage conditions:

CARRIAGE PROHIBITED
Flick knives/gravity knives, lock knives and daggers, any knives with a blade over 3 inches/75mm in length (Note – standard folding knives with a blade no greater than 3 inches/75mm long are permitted to be carried).

NB. According to the posting of a current caminante using Eurostar about 10 days ago, if you are carrying a permitted knife you need to declare it when presenting for the security search and NOT store it in your luggage.

Hope that helps.

Very interesting. Thank you, merrellj for posting the relevant regulations, but I still wonder, how will the train officials know that you have a knife if you don't declare it?. Do they do a baggage inspection as in pre boarding an airplane flight?. Of course many people carry modest, 3" pocket knives. Half the population would be excluded if they refused passage to such people.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
malcolmrobert said:
Very interesting. Thank you, merrellj for posting the relevant regulations, but I still wonder, how will the train officials know that you have a knife if you don't declare it?. Do they do a baggage inspection as in pre boarding an airplane flight?. Of course many people carry modest, 3" pocket knives. Half the population would be excluded if they refused passage to such people.

As you may appreciate, the consequences of any security breach in the closed environment of the 22m long EuroTunnel, which takes nearly 30 mins to traverse, are potentially very severe and this is reflected in EuroStar's protective systems which are virtually identical to air travel. Your luggage is scanned and you are required to pass through a metal scanner and be subject to a pat down if the scanner is activated. Hence the need to declare a permitted knife, which would otherwise be subject to confiscation if identified in your luggage or secreted on your person.

Hope this doesn't preclude you undertaking your camino.

CriostoirMacAodha,

When I flew into Paris to walk the Camino Frances, I didn't want to check in my backpack, as I wanted it with me at all times. Naturally, my Swiss army knife was going to be a problem...as well as a couple of my toiletries that were (each) more than the allowed for a carry-on. I took my backpack as my carry-on, and checked in a small box (about the size of a shoe box) that I packed and prepared well in advance. The people at the various airports all gave me funny looks for checking in a shoe box but, nevertheless, it made it safely to Paris and served me well :)

More specifically re: knife, I suppose part of it is going to be your personal habits. If you plan on getting raw food and making stuff on your own, it can come in handy (though most albergues will have basic cooking utensils and such). For example, I arrived one night to an albergue full of teenager students. And whereas I don't mind them at all, it was nice to be able to cut my veggies and prepare my dinner without needing to navigate through the small kitchen as they were all over the place :)

So, I definitely don't think a knife is at all necessary, but it can be handy. Re: other tools and things to take, you can check out my complete packing list at-
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/2012/02/12/so-you-think-you-wanna-walk-2/

And most importantly, there's really no need to panic...you'll enjoy it :)

Buen Camino!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

merrellj said:
As you may appreciate, the consequences of any security breach in the closed environment of the 22m long EuroTunnel, which takes nearly 30 mins to traverse, are potentially very severe and this is reflected in EuroStar's protective systems which are virtually identical to air travel.
In fact, the rules are more demanding than for airline travel. With an airline, you are generally allowed to check items banned in the cabin (excluding items where air carriage is banned completely :| ) which includes knifes, etc. It was explained to me that because your bag is carried in the train carriage with you, and in practice is accessible during the whole journey, there is no option to put those items that might be allowed into airline checked baggage into one's main bag to avoid carriage restrictions.

While the restriction for travel on the Eurostar are understandable, the answer to how one transports these restricted items still hasn't been explained. How does one get one's restricted items through the chunnel if there is no baggage check and they can't be kept in one's carry on luggage?

I plan to carry a modest Swiss Army Knife, (blade less than 3 inches plus a corkscrew), possibly a Leatherman and a pair of nail clippers and hiking poles.

The suggestion of a checked cardboard box for checked air travel is reasonable. I am considering purchasing a cheap suitcase at a second hand store to be checked in and carried in the airplane hold for my hiking poles and knives. Does Eurostar have such a checked baggage option?

You don't have to travel by Eurostar to get to France from the UK - or vica versa.

It is much more pleasant to travel by ship. The ferries from Dover to Calais are very cheap and the ferry terminals are really easy to get to, either by train or by coach.

You can also buy a coach ticket from the UK to almost anywhere in Europe that includes the crossing - a life on the ocean waves, what could be more pleasant? :wink:

http://www.eurolines.fr

You could even travel by ferry between northern Spain and the UK - not cheap but you do get a couple of days at sea.

The ferry option seems reasonable. I plan to fly from Canada to Paris. My planned return takes me from Santiago to Paris. From there, Eurostar to London was my plan. I may be dissuaded if I can't take my knife. The chunnel is so famous but the regulations seem daunting. Maybe it will be a ferry trip.

Personally, I'll buy a knife when I arrive and then leave it somewhere as I will be flying several times after my camino and have no desire to check y bags. I figure it'll get as far as Morocco with me then I'll have to dump it when I fly to Switzerland.

If you really love your own personal knife and don't want to lose it on the flight, couldn't you mail it to your starting point and have them hold it for pickup?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This discussion on knives has me wondering - we plan on checking our backpacks on our flight from LAX to Paris, staying a day or so there, then proceeding by train to SJPP. Should we just mail our Opinel knives to the pilgrim office or the poste there? Is there the same prohibition on knives on the TGV as on the Eurostar? I know I can look this up but thought that some of you might have recommendations. Thanks!

- Christine

Christine,
If you are checking baggage, a knife can be carried in that on an aircraft, and I had no problem carrying a pocket knife on the TGV, but that was two years ago now.

The problem with Eurostar is that it doesn't have checked baggage - all your baggage is in the cabin with you. There is a luggage rack for large items at one end of the carriage, and your bag is accessible for the whole journey.

yes.... most definatley yes. Currently at Los Arcos used it for prepping dinner and there hasn´t been a day I havent used it.. :D

Airflights checked luggage only.
TGV no checks for knives...
Taxi´s no checks for knives..
Hostels they really don´t mind..

ianvs said:
They have knives in Spain and France; you can buy them in many shops.

they are in SJPuP at the store just down from the pilgrims office.. also you can get your 3rd sello there if you ask.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
thanks ward4....good to know.
just wondering....why would you want a 3rd sello? is there a need for that at SJPP?
karen
p.s. hope you are having a great camino.

All this on knives makes me wonder if I will have problems carrying my pointed trekking poles on Eurostar. Does anyone have current experience with that?
Thanks, AL

Abbeydore said:

Can report that our little knife was well used including our last day to make sandwiches for our flights home on the 'bucket ships' of the sky! & then stow for travelling, cost £3!, now it's back to gardening duties!

Its best use was slicing Spanish tomatoes, which were just delicious last week :D (manage to get one tom to last 3days :!: )

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
ncali12 said:
All this on knives makes me wonder if I will have problems carrying my pointed trekking poles on Eurostar. Does anyone have current experience with that?
Thanks, AL
I travelled from London to Paris with Eurostar with trekking poles in my bags returning to Australia in 2010. They weren't an issue then. Knives were.

Regards,

Hello all. I just came across this video in today's Daily Mail (London). I went to You Tube to obtain the direct link.

The video is titled: "How to Open a Bottle of Wine WITHOUT a Corkscrew." It is evidently produced by a winery, so I presume it is authentic.

Here is the link:

Think of the weight saved.:) Personally, I think the idea is brilliant, if it works.

However, I would recommend being careful trying this with any sparkling or carbonated beverage: champagne, cava, asti spumante, etc. The additional gas pressure might cause the cork to shoot from the bottle. The video is using a bottle of still wine...red I think.

This said, caveat emptor! The writer assumes no responsibility for spilt wine, corks in eyes, broken wine bottles, etc.

Santé!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Brilliant - I wonder how many forum members will be trying this today. I am not drinking for a couple of weeks, but I shall have to have a go anyway! Thanks for sharing.

Hi folks,

Any advice is welcome.

Is Mise

Críostóir MacAodha
Hello.
This was my knive on my 3 Caminos and it worked very well!
Buen Camino
Jochen

I took along a Swiss Army Knife, lost it on Day 2......and never missed it.
One thingy less to worry about.

Hi folks,

Any advice is welcome.
Is Mise
Críostóir MacAodha
Hello you with the unspeakable name :)
Here ist the knive you are searching for.
Put it into your backpack and you will have no problems in the security check on the airport.
Buen Camino
Jochen

Hello you with the unspeakable name :)
Here ist the knive you are searching for.
Put it into your backpack and you will have no problems in the security check on the airport.
Buen Camino
Jochen
Are you sure about that?
I once forgot my Victorinox huntsman in my handbag (it's always there) when I was about to walk through security control at Arlanda. Ouch.
The guy who was checking my bag shouted "There's a Big Knife in that bag!!!"
Everyone stared at me and I was blushing like a tomato. :oops:
I had to walk all the way back and put it in deposit. There the staff said "oh we have a big knife haven't we", or something like that. Very embarrassing.
I always check in my knife after that.

Criostoir
I have travelled 3 times now back and forth. I have resolved next time to check in my sticks (the poles go from Ireland fine but you're not allowed take them home in the plane) and if so I will be wrapping them in a bag of some sort with any other items?. The hardware knives you buy in Spain are very practical. I hate checking in a bag but I like my sticks. But I did buy a pair in a "chinese bazaar" in Astorga for €5 and they were great. Other Irish I met bought all the things they realised they wanted as they went. There are shops everywhere. I carry a plastic cup everywhere with me now too. It's very handy-NOT just for the wine. You will love the Camino.

Two blades, corkscrew! scissors, tin opener, bottle opener, toothpick, tweezers, awl, great for making holes in leather when needing to sew shoes or sandals back together, and a strange hook for carrying parcels tied with string - no, no idea why.

I find it a great tool. You can buy them anywhere in Europe. You will need to cut cellophane packages on some food items, trim nails and so on - also, if you use a toilet with a broken lock you can usually use the knife to push across and lock the door. :oops: :wink:

Thank you, David. Btw, I received my scallop shell necklace, and wearing it now. Love it! Every time I touch it I think of my upcoming first Camino this May!

Kris

This discussion on knives has me wondering - we plan on checking our backpacks on our flight from LAX to Paris, staying a day or so there, then proceeding by train to SJPP. Should we just mail our Opinel knives to the pilgrim office or the poste there? Is there the same prohibition on knives on the TGV as on the Eurostar? I know I can look this up but thought that some of you might have recommendations. Thanks!

- Christine

Since you are checking your packs from LAX to Paris, place your knife in your pack, the issue is with the Chunnel from the UK which has strict knife laws not the rest of the EU

For me a spork does do enough of the job, can't remember I ever missed a knife. Very light, no problem while in cabinluggage. You cannot see it but it's all plastic and there is a
knife on it as well. Enough to cut bread, cheese, salami.
index.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
How did I shaved about 90g from my backpack? Very easy.

Last year I took my spec-ops pocket knife, that weights almost 160g. This year, I'm taking an old and smaler pocket knife + a spork. Weight: 68g. It's perfect.

Most people say that you don't really need a spork to use on your Camiño, but last year there was time that there was no free spoons or forks in the Albergues that I slept in. I remembre that this happened at least 3 times.

Best Regards
Diogo

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.