• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Knife

Tad

I just finished reading a blog that had the line, "Make sure you bring a good knife."

What constitutes good in this particular instance?

I was planning on bringing my old Swiss Army Classic. It has a 1.25" blade and a pair of scissors for cutting Compeeds or something. Is this entirely inadequate or is the advice really just "bring a knife"?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just finished reading a blog that had the line, "Make sure you bring a good knife."

I was planning on bringing my old Swiss Army Classic. It has a 1.25" blade and a pair of scissors for cutting Compeeds or something. Is this entirely inadequate or is the advice really just "bring a knife"?
Make sure you put it in checked luggage. If it has sentimental value remember you may run the risk of losing it. I brought a swiss army one but not my old favourite.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm going to check my poles and knife in a rigid tube, carry the rest of the gear on. New York TSA can be particularly heinous.

Based on your responses, I'm going with what I've got.

My preference would be for something bigger. I have an older version of the Victronix Pioneer that has served me well for years. I find it about right for fruit, bread and salami. My other choice would be to buy something like an Opinel (I have an 11cm long version, cannot remember the model number) and be prepared to post it back or leave it behind. That said, the key issue is to make sure it is sharp. A small sharp blade is going to beat a longer blunt one everyday when it comes to slicing off that next piece of chorizo.

Regards,

Tad:

I believe it is a good idea to have a multipurpose knife. I bring a Leatherman wave. Another option versus carrying on or stowing is to send it to your starting accommodation. I mail my questionable stuff ahead to my first night hotel .

Ultreya,
Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tad,
From your description, we brought the identical knife. It was entirely adequate for our needs: cutting cheese for lunch, etc. On the occasions when we bought food and cooked at albergues with kitchens, we used their knives for larger jobs like slicing up onions etc.

Enjoy your camino next year. I will be following your blog.

Larry

Does it have a corkscrew? I would need a corkscrew. Seriously, I think something simple like a Wenger Diplomat would suffice. However, according to many survivalists, the best knife is the knife one has at the moment.

I wait until I get to Spain and buy a knife there each year. They are quite inexpensive, of excellent quality, and you don't have to mess with checking your bags (which can be dangerous). All I ever use is a blade to cut cheese and bread. Haven't ever needed a Swiss Army Knife. The boxed wine is as good as any you get in bottles. No corkscrew needed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am reluctant to use folding knives to cut food. Its too difficult to clean it at the hinge.

A multiblade affair that includes a corkscrew usually weighs a pound and in my view not worth the weight.

I carried a knife and spoon intended for eating with. I use a small pair of folding sissors for cutting things like compeed and sewing thread.

My preference would be for something bigger. I have an older version of the Victronix Pioneer that has served me well for years.

Doug - I also own a Victorinox Climber (http://www.swissarmy.com/us/app/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Outdoor/Climber/53381) but that seemed like possible overkill.
It was entirely adequate for our needs: cutting cheese for lunch

Larry - Good to know.
I think something simple like a Wenger Diplomat would suffice.

Espero - The Classic and the Wenger Diplomat are pretty much the same knife except that the former is blade/scissors/nail file instead of blade/scissors/small blade. I have to say I've never used the nail file, but it was a present from my wife... *smile*
I wait until I get to Spain and buy a knife there each year...you don't have to mess with checking your bags

anniesantiago - I'll be in Portugal, but I'm pretty sure that would be the same. I guess the problem is that I'm going to be a checking a package anyway. I was given some trekking poles and the TSA has recently stated categorically that trekking poles are not carry-on. Of course, my sister did carry hers on, but that's Omaha not New York, so maybe different levels of scrutiny.
usually weighs a pound

whariwharangi - Actually, I just dropped my Climber on a scale and it was 3 oz. The Classic I was talking about is probably half that. I was thinking the knife and a spork.

The boxed wine is as good as any you get in bottles.
It is pretty good, but it is not as good as most of the bottled wines! Take a corkscrew if you plan to buy wine.:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
They took my Opinel No 6. off me when boarding the channel tunnel train in London. You can't check your luggage like on a plane but the same restrictions apply. They did offer to post it on to Paris where I could collect it - for an 18 Euro fee.
Regds
Gerard

Gerard, I'm amazed that you lost your knife that way. I've never had any problem taking a Opinel 6 through, provided its in luggage not pockets. As for posting it (rude word), on the one occasion security got over excited about a walking staff I surrendered it to the guard who cheerfully gave it back to me about 10 minutes out of St Pancras - didn't want it cluttering up his little cabin.

I guess it's all down to luck

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Gerard, I'm amazed that you lost your knife that way. I've never had any problem taking a Opinel 6 through, provided its in luggage not pockets. As for posting it (rude word), on the one occasion security got over excited about a walking staff I surrendered it to the guard who cheerfully gave it back to me about 10 minutes out of St Pancras - didn't want it cluttering up his little cabin.

I guess it's all down to luck
I'm not. Same thing happened to me even with the knife (a faux Opinel) in my luggage. I was then grilled over why I was in possession of a lock-knife and whether to call the police. I was told that this was because I had access to my luggage in the train carriage. It is in the fine print on the Eurostar website, not that that helps when one cannot get to the internet regularly.

Regards

Hmm, thanks for the heads-up guys. Must have a trawl through eurostars website before my next trip. Either they've changed the rules or security at St Pancras did their training at Heathrow.

Decided to check out Eurostars website. The provision is in their standard terms and conditions of carriage appendix 1. Under prohibited items it states, after the prohibition of flick knives, lock knives etc that "standard folding knives with a blade length no greater than 3 inches / 7.5cms are permitted to be carried". Time to get the tape measure out I guess. (note: decimal point added after kindly intervention from StMike)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My preference would be for something bigger. I have an older version of the Victronix Pioneer that has served me well for years. I find it about right for fruit, bread and salami. My other choice would be to buy something like an Opinel (I have an 11cm long version, cannot remember the model number) and be prepared to post it back or leave it behind. That said, the key issue is to make sure it is sharp. A small sharp blade is going to beat a longer blunt one everyday when it comes to slicing off that next piece of chorizo.
Regards,
And my favorite knive is the Victorinox Picknicker.
Buen Camino
Jochen

They took my Opinel No 6. off me when boarding the channel tunnel train in London. You can't check your luggage like on a plane but the same restrictions apply. They did offer to post it on to Paris where I could collect it - for an 18 Euro fee.
Regds
Gerard

Remove the locking collar on the Opinel and it won't be a locking knife.

I bought a cheap €3 Camino de Santiago knife from the artisan shop in Zubiri. It was sharp as hell and cut everything I needed. I don't think you need to worry about knives too much. As others have said, as long as it's sharp! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Decided to check out Eurostars website. The provision is in their standard terms and conditions of carriage appendix 1. Under prohibited items it states, after the prohibition of flick knives, lock knives etc that "standard folding knives with a blade length no greater than 3 inches / 75cms ?? are permitted to be carried". Time to get the tape measure out I guess.
But that won't help when you get some officious security person who wants to lord it over you - I lost an equivalent leatherman that was less than 60-65 mm folded - so the max length of the blade was only 50 mm. (Tinca - I think you need to check your conversions - 75 cms is about 30 inches!!). But thanks for the notes about the Eurostar and luggage - my backpack goes inside one of those luggage protectors (lockable) and that' s were I'd be putting any knife. Cheers

A tiny Stanley pocket knife found on the road near the Akubra hat factory, which is on the other side of the forest to where I live. Its destiny was to be pummeled by trucks till it sank into the gravel. Instead, it's been across Europe, and carved out many a fine slice of sheep cheese. Lucky little implement!

Decided to check out Eurostars website. The provision is in their standard terms and conditions of carriage appendix 1. Under prohibited items it states, after the prohibition of flick knives, lock knives etc that "standard folding knives with a blade length no greater than 3 inches / 75cms are permitted to be carried". Time to get the tape measure out I guess.
My query was re the difference between a Swiss army knife and my Opinel. It was the locking device on the Opinel that was objectionable.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I had the Opinel #7 recommended to me which is what I plan on getting. Here is the website if you would like to check out their products.
http://www.opinel-usa.com
Buen Camino :)

Pop it off with a screwdriver and place it in another part of your bag and pop it back on when you get to Spain.
I don't think that will be as simple as you make it sound here. If you have achieved this, perhaps you could share the details of your technique.

Regards,

Tad -- more information please. You've said that TSA has categorically stated that hiking poles cannot be carried on. Can you elaborate? This must have been since June, 2013, because I have carried poles on for many Caminos.
The TSA Prohibited Items page doesn't specifically list walking poles, but still shows ski poles as being banned as cabin baggage. When I looked it had been last updated on 15 Aug 2013.

The restriction on knives also still applies, with only plastic or round bladed butter knives being allowed as cabin baggage.

Regards,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Totally adequate.

Tad -- more information please. You've said that TSA has categorically stated that hiking poles cannot be carried on. Can you elaborate? This must have been since June, 2013, because I have carried poles on for many Caminos.

First, all I can report is what the TSA has said, not what it actually does. *smile* My sister carried her trekking poles on the plane this September, also. However, I will note that she traveled from Omaha, NE while I would be traveling from Newark, NJ...an entirely different kettle of fish when it comes to human interactions, in my experience.

I called the TSA office for the Tri-State area. Their statement was: "If the poles have points on them, even if covered by a removable rubber knob, then they are considered in the same category as ski poles and are prohibited from the cabin. If the poles are completely blunt, then they are generally considered walking aids and are at the discretion of the TSA agent. The TSA agent has the authority to block any item that, in their estimation, poses a security concern." She then cited the pamphlet that Doug references above.

The way I interpret that is that standard trekking poles are not permitted but you may get away with it if the agent is either in a good mood or not particularly vigilant.

Thanks for that, Tad. In all these years (and you can see many many posts on this topic if you search), this is the first time I have heard a sensible interpretation of the federal TSA regulations, which as Doug mentions, specifically allow walking aids, specifically prohibit ski poles, and say nothing about hiking poles. Even though I don't like the interpretation, I think it's sensible.

This must be a region by region thing. Since the airlines lost my poles one year, which caused me a lot of stress and hassle, I decided to carry them on. I have never had a problem. I bring them in a duffel bag so that I can check them at the last minute if need be, but so far no problem. Not sure why that might be, unless perhaps the machine scan doesn't reveal any problem with the point on my poles, whereas a visual scan may. I think I've probably been through 10 US airports with this method over the past few years.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm still a bit mind-boggled about the TSA regulations in general. I mean, seriously, if you were bent on personal mayhem, would you rather employ:
  1. An unwieldy 3' long ski pole with the now-standard semi-blunt end, whose removal from the overhead bin would cause every passenger's eyes to be drawn toward you (prohibited)
  2. A 12"-18" long fully-pointed knitting needle that no one notices (permitted)?
I'm thinking the second option is a bit more likely. It's a mystery...

The TSA is such a joke. I mean, really! When was the last time a plane REALLY was hijacked? It's just another way for the government to control our lives. Don't get me started!

Anyway.. there are nice TSA agents and then, as others have said, there are control freaks.
Some guy took Joe's walking sticks away at the airport.
He had to put them in a bin where they were also collecting perfume and booze that people had bought right there in the airport!!! What a scam! Joe was pissed off and tried to break the sticks, but they wouldn't even bend ::laughing:: Somebody gets a lot of good loot, I'm telling you!

My friend from Wales forgot about the ritual blade in her bag.
Luckily, I was there to collect it and mail it to her.
It was so dull, it wouldn't cut butter .
On the same flight, some lady had a pair of knitting needles.
Now THOSE could hurt someone!

TSA?
It's asinine!

The TSA is such a joke. I mean, really! When was the last time a plane REALLY was hijacked?
Annie, the TSA and other national aviation safety authorities might rightly point out that you have justified their actions - it is a long time since a plane was successfully hijacked, although there still appear to be attempted hijacks. Wikipedia lists three in this decade, and I know there was a report of another earlier this year. The wikipededia text includes
The hijackers used aluminium canes with sharpened tips to attack the members of the crew.
No mention of knitting needles!

Regards,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My query was re the difference between a Swiss army knife and my Opinel. It was the locking device on the Opinel that was objectionable.

From what I'm reading online the locking device is indeed an issue, especially in france where the knife laws are very strict. Spain seems a little more accepting but you have to have a good reason for carrying it. Also blade needs to be under 3 inches which the Opinel is not. You may be better off with the Swiss army knife.

Also blade needs to be under 3 inches which the Opinel is not. You may be better off with the Swiss army knife.[/quote]

Opinel No. 6 is 2 14/16" long, just under the 3" limit to keep you out of trouble.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
http://michel.montlahuc.free.fr/demontage.htm

It's in French, but this will give you an idea of how it's done.
Right, but this isn't simply removal with a screwdriver, and neither is it possible to 'pop' it back on without a set of circlip pliers. From a pilgrim perspective, I would rate the suggestion as impractical.

BTW, I have tried opening the locking slide with a large screwdriver - smaller sizes don't work at all. It might be possible, but I couldn't achieve it.

Regards,

All this talk about locking folding knives applies to mainly the UK and taking the Chunnel, wait till you get to Spain and buy one there for less than €15.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's unlikely I'll take the Eurostar chunnel train again, and, as I like to carve up an orange for lunch each day, next time I'm going to buy the Opinel No.10 with the corkscrew.
It's a bit big but I don't care. It looks cool and I want one.
So there.

If I were a wine drinker, I'd get one too, weighs only 76g, perfect for the Camino.

I'm bringing a very small, simple pocket knife but was considering this for a travel corkscrew. Only weighs 1 oz. Anyone try this? Any good?
I have used similar corkscrews before. If they are not well made, they are a disaster. The two issues are that when the screw coil is formed, it is not evenly spaced, or the screw has a slight bend along its long axis. Both these things result in the cork being torn apart when you insert the corkscrew, and the end of the cork still being left in the bottle. If you are reluctant to carry a waiter's friend, have you considered a cork puller. Mine weighs in at around 55gm.

so to recap.. I live In San Diego Ca (Lucky me :)) so I will likely have to change many a plane and go thru several TSA points, so check Pacers in a tube, carry them in a duffel bag whaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttt? I think that it would be stressful to get to airport only to encounter cranky TSA's

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
so to recap.. I live In San Diego Ca (Lucky me :)) so I will likely have to change many a plane and go thru several TSA points, so check Pacers in a tube, carry them in a duffel bag whaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttt? I think that it would be stressful to get to airport only to encounter cranky TSA's

Dealing with TSA comes with the territory, do your homework in dealing with the requirements of the airline and TSA or ship your bag ahead of you to your starting point.
Placing all you stuff in a cheap duffel for check in for the trip over would be easier than hoping you can skirt around the TSA, most international flights allow at least one check in bag max 23kg.

I have had the full scrotum massage three times at Heathrow, so U.S. TSA is not the only troublesome place. It does depend a lot on the mood of the inspector, which does not make planning any easier.

Airport security is intended to remind us all how well protected we are. Though it has failed miserably to prevent shoe bombers, under pant bombers and other assorted lunatics from actually boarding aircraft it has at least ensured that the rest of spend our days of freedom trying to cut sandwiches with a credit card or devote our anxieties to whether our walking aids will aid us on our pilgrimage or enhance the return on the next customs & excise auction. Emma Goldman said that the most powerful weapon we have are our minds - presumably that is what airport departure lounges are designed to destroy.

You big boys and your great big knives. A little Opinel will slice your chorizo, carve up your peach, and will sit discretely in the bottom of your pack for those times when you have no use for it. As will a Butler's Friend, though there is some great stuff out there with a screw cap these days, even from Rioja & Bierzo.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I always regularly get a full pat-down when going through airport controls!. Usual question to me: "Will you choose to have it done in public or prefer a private place?" – and I will always say "Go ahead – do it here". The reason is that I have a shoulder implant and will always 'beep' – so they may just think that I have a gun under my shoulder? Hmm… - elderly lady! So this is why I always put my Victorinox knife in my checked luggage …

I did save the day one time at a (private) albergue. Food had been prepared and served, unopened wine bottles were on the table – and no one had a corkscrew … distress all around. So I became the heroine of the day when I could whip out my multipurpose knife with a corkscrew! – So don't disregard the importance of having a multipurpose knife around you …

annelise
- and I do actually worry a bit those times where they do not catch on to my implant – lax security … (sorry if I have gone off subject)

€46,-
I prepared for my Camino by prowling around this Forum and looking at packing lists. One poster mentioned that one of their "surprise" items - items that they hadn't really focused on but turned out to be really useful - was a small baby finger nail scissors. You know, the kind with the very blunt ends. I took a pocket knife and the baby scissors with me from SJPdP to SdC. In the end, I used the scissors many, many more times than the pocket knife, cutting everything from duct tape to packets of soup to moleskin. I think I used the knife once, if at all.
Just a thought.

@FooteK - I own two Swiss Army knives, one I use everyday (a tiny Classic) and one I use camping (a medium-sized Climber). Both have scissors because I find them the tool I use the most. :)

The two issues are that when the screw coil is formed, it is not evenly spaced, or the screw has a slight bend along its long axis. Both these things result in the cork being torn apart when you insert the corkscrew, and the end of the cork still being left in the bottle.
The other issue is the number of coils; the travel corkscrew only has 3 while the Opinal and any decent corkscrew has 5. With three you don't get a good grip on the cork and are likely to just break off the end.

I'm lusting after the Opinal with a corkscrew - nice looking tool, weighs less than 3 oz. I need to go weigh my waiters friend and see how much more the Opinal weighs.

Karl

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The other issue is the number of coils; the travel corkscrew only has 3 while the Opinal and any decent corkscrew has 5. With three you don't get a good grip on the cork and are likely to just break off the end.

I'm lusting after the Opinal with a corkscrew - nice looking tool, weighs less than 3 oz. I need to go weigh my waiters friend and see how much more the Opinal weighs.

Karl

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Opinel-1410...409270?pt=US_Knives_Tools&hash=item485d817036

Ebay has them for $25.67 with free shipping.

Opinel No. 10, a corkscrew for opening wine, a knife for slicing bread, chorizo, and cheese. The ideal Camino knife.

€60,-
I'd like to get an Opinel after seeing them raved about on here. Anyone know if I can get one in SJPP?

More than likely at a local quincaillerie (hardware store,) EBay is the cheapest place to get them.

I'd like to get an Opinel after seeing them raved about on here. Anyone know if I can get one in SJPP?
You can buy them in SJPDP. Picked up a No 6 at a little gift/hardware shop there. Quite suitable but no corkscrew model available. The problem in small towns like St Jean is that the shops will not carry all of the now extensive range.
Amazon offer a reasonable range and as you can see the smaller suitable models are not that expensive.
pinel
Note many models are available with a choice of carbon steel or stainless steel blades.

Regds
Gerard

€60,-
Thank you both. I thought it might be easier to get one there than have to get it delivered here (I've had a pocket knife confiscated by customs before after ordering online) and then have to get it back overseas again, but I'm very impressed with their prices, so it might be worth risking it anyway. I wouldn't be losing much if it did get confiscated, and it's one less thing to worry about once I arrive.

And not to worry, my sister is bringing the corkscrew :D

But that is heavy compared to an Opinel.

Ondo Ibili !

147g it's heavy? For the purposes that you can use, it's not so heavy has that. I have pocket knifes only with the blade that are heavier than that!

And stainless steel doesn’t mean that it won't get rust. If you use fire on the blade, if you pass it for a lot of water, if you don’t clean it after use it, pass a good oil and don’t have any cares with the blade, I’m sure that it will get rust. Not has much has a blade made from carbon, but will still caught rust after some time. So pay attention how do you care your knife. That it’s so much important has choosing the model that you want.

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
And stainless steel doesn’t mean that it won't get rust. If you use fire on the blade, if you pass it for a lot of water, if you don’t clean it after use it, pass a good oil and don’t have any cares with the blade, I’m sure that it will get rust.
@Diogo92, I am afraid you underestimate the properties of stainless steel. It doesn't rust. You don't have to clean it, can leave it in water and don't have to oil it. I have used and abused stainless steel knives and cookware in my kitchen for decades without one sign of rust. On the other hand, the carbon steel blade on my Opinel has to be carefully washed, dried and oiled to keep in good condition almost every time I use it, particularly if it is used to cut fruit of any kind.

Regards,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree with you, Doug.
I never oiled my Swiss knife, and after years of usage, inclusive apples and oranges, no rust.
BTW, both kind of steel contains carbon. The difference is that the stainless steel contains a lot of Chrome and nickel...

Buen Camino, Jacques-D

@Diogo92, I am afraid you underestimate the properties of stainless steel. It doesn't rust. You don't have to clean it, can leave it in water and don't have to oil it. I have used and abused stainless steel knives and cookware in my kitchen for decades without one sign of rust. On the other hand, the carbon steel blade on my Opinel has to be carefully washed, dried and oiled to keep in good condition almost every time I use it, particularly if it is used to cut fruit of any kind.

Regards,

I take care of all my knifes in the same way. It was an advice that I got from a knife manufacturer. I always have them shiny and sharp. And I don't like carbon blades, but because of other purposes :)I know that it's hard to rust, but it can rust, because there are multiple grades and types of stainless steel, therefore some of them are harder to rust than others. I'm sure that Opinel uses a very good stainless steel, but I think that you should see how my mom's NR 12 is :D

I'll take a picture and show it.

Best Regards
Diogo

BTW, both kind of steel contains carbon. The difference is that the stainless steel contains a lot of Chrome and nickel...D
That is true, but it appears to be the convention to refer to blades from steel made without chrome and nickel as 'carbon steel' to distinguish them from stainless steel products.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The negative side of stainless steel is that it doesn't hold an edge as well as carbon steel, just wipe it down with oil after cleaning and the discoloration adds character to it.

Another reason to own an Opinel, IMO the best reason, is that it is a just a beautiful design.....a design classic.
The Victoria and Albert Museum in London selected the Opinel as part of an exhibit celebrating the “100 most beautiful products in the world”, featuring the Opinel alongside the Porsche 911 sports car and the Rolex watch. It has been exhibited by the New York's Museum of Modern Art as a design masterpiece.
The No.8 is apparently the most popular model.
The internet tells me that Pablo Picasso used an Opinel to carve his sculptures, while Roger Frison-Roche, the Savoyard alpine guide and mountaineer, never made an ascent without carrying an Opinel along. Éric Tabarly, the long-distance solo sailor and yachtsman, swore by the Opinel, which he always carried aboard his sailing yacht.

Where else can you get a design classic for a few Dollars/Euros?
Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
I collect pocket knives (last count 176)my working knife is a Swiss Army,with a corkscrew & scissors,had it for 35 years,never let me down,I am so attached to it ,I call it Swiss Miss (pathetic isn't it ) she is never lent, always cleaned after every use. .....If I lost her I would offer a large reward for her return.....my wife says there is something missing in my life,to be so attached to a pocket knife..........:rolleyes:............Vicrev.

€46,-
I'm flying Miami> Heathrow > Madrid and have an osprey kestrel, so I could potentially use my pack as carryon, but I'm concerned about the Swiss Army knife and the walking poles. Is there a possibility of sending these objects in advance to SJPP? If so where? To the passport office? Any ideas?

If TSA is doing its job, it will find and confiscate the knife. Official policy permits trekking poles, but the definition is vague, ski poles are prohibited, and it seems to be up to the individual TSA employee on whether they will be confiscated.

Just buy a knife when you get to Spain. It is cheaper and less inconvenient than shipping and retrieving your knife. Opinal is a good brand. Think about a model with a corkscrew.

Or check your bag...

Well, I guess Santa is a forum member; I got an Opinal, corkscrew model, for Christmas!

I think it will be great on the Camino. It weighs 76 grams, only 1 gram more than the corkscrew I've carried in the past. The corkscrew worked fine on some wine we had for the holidays (not as well as my regular corkscrew, a "waiter's friend" but well enough) and the knife is very sharp.

On the Camino, I learned the hard way that a Spork won't cut any but the softest cheese, and is worthless for bread. Now I'm all ready for Camino lunches!

Only con is that it is fairly large; I think I'll keep it in my pack rather than in my pocket.

Karl

I always regularly get a full pat-down when going through airport controls!. Usual question to me: "Will you choose to have it done in public or prefer a private place?" – and I will always say "Go ahead – do it here". The reason is that I have a shoulder implant and will always 'beep' – so they may just think that I have a gun under my shoulder? Hmm… - elderly lady! So this is why I always put my Victorinox knife in my checked luggage …
annelise
- and I do actually worry a bit those times where they do not catch on to my implant – lax security … (sorry if I have gone off subject)

Hi annelise, I recognise your problem (no green security cards for us) I have spinal stenosis and a metal wedge jacks my lumbar vertabrea up from my spinal chord, they love it, the full treatment when they try to see the scar (key hole) they find that difficult to believe! Then round to my chest again brrrrr 'whats in there sir', "wire holding my rib cage together after heart surgery!" It only happens in the Uk. Then there's the rucksack, the walking boots ? I warn all my friends to "look after my gear on the scanner as this may take me a little time guys !">" You say you're going walking sir?" :confused: If I didn't laugh i would cry.
Back to post I have a beautiful lock blade pocket knife so sharp you can shave with it; take it with me, you've gotta be joking they would use it to shave my …….
I think I will buy one in Spain!

Last edited:
Spanish bread is either so hard as to be suitable only for carpentry or it is soft enough to tear into bite sized hunks.

You can buy chorizo already sliced and in a convenient one meal quantity for a euro. Ditto for cheese.

Usually wine is purchased and consumed with the menu peregrino. The bars and restaurants in Spain appear to be well equipped with cork screws; you don't need to bring your own.

I met a fellow who used his sharp multibladed knife to trim small branches and bark from a tree for use as a walking staff. In doing so he also carved off a large chunk of his thumb. Apparently he'd never heard the ditty of 'always cut toward your chum, never cut toward your thumb; you can always get another chum'. Very fortunately the hospital was so close you could have heaved a rock at it. So I got the experience of a Spanish hospital waiting room while he got stitched up.

So what might you be using your knife and corkscrew for? The machismo? The excitement factor?

I'm flying Miami> Heathrow > Madrid and have an osprey kestrel, so I could potentially use my pack as carryon, but I'm concerned about the Swiss Army knife and the walking poles. Is there a possibility of sending these objects in advance to SJPP? If so where? To the passport office? Any ideas?

If you're flying on an international flight, you should be allowed one check in item up to 23KG, find a cardboard tube to pack them in and check it in.

For me, your old Swiss Army Classic is too heavy.
The best knife is an Opinel n°6. Have a look on the page in english http://www.opinel-usa.com/

But it's cheaper in France. You can buy one in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. It's the lightest. Take care, do not buy the number 5 because it's too short and without a security ring. The number 7 has a blade little too big and it's a little heavier but it's a good choice.

In France, this knife is cult like the Zippo lighter or the jeans lewis strauss or motorbike harley davidson.

I wish you a very nice way to Saint James

opinel-op006-d4.jpg

Opinels are lovely. I had a beatiful olive wood version and a plain one. Lovely knives but they do rust as soon as look at them. I don't like stainless, you can get sharp edges but nowhere near as sharp as mild steel.

I never bothered with a knife. I take it the age old skill of being able to open a bottle of wine with a stick or a pen is dying out?

I have just bought a new knife which I'm going to take on my next camino.
It's a Wenger evolution 63:
http://www.wengerna.com/evolution-63-16966
A knife, corkscrew, can opener etc, and only 34 gram! (Ok 36 on my kitchen scale)
My old knife which I had for ages is a Victorinox huntsman. It's a bit to heavy for the camino, so it stays at home.
It's 97 gram, so there I made my pack about 61 gram lighter. :)

It's a Wenger evolution 63: A knife, corkscrew, can opener etc, and only 34 gram! (Ok 36 on my kitchen scale)
I have the very same knife made by Victorinox, labelled 'Officier Suisse'. Although I think it's discontinued now and they use the name for a bigger model. It's done all my caminos, opened many bottles of wine and prepared numerous albergue meals for pilgrims. And the tweezers and toothpick are still intact. Top choice!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, I guess Santa is a forum member; I got an Opinal, corkscrew model, for Christmas!
How lucky are you?
I'm very disappointed in that Santa.
I rilly rilly wanted one but I never got one.
If he thinks I'm going to leave a beer and a cake out for him next year he's got another thing coming.

Spanish bread is either so hard as to be suitable only for carpentry or it is soft enough to tear into bite sized hunks. You can buy chorizo already sliced and in a convenient one meal quantity for a euro. Ditto for cheese. Usually wine is purchased and consumed with the menu peregrino. The bars and restaurants in Spain appear to be well equipped with cork screws; you don't need to bring your own.

So what might you be using your knife and corkscrew for? The machismo? The excitement factor?
The excitement factor. The cheese you can buy presliced in Spain, while not as bad as presliced American Cheese, is not very good. The local cheeses are much more exciting, and not very expensive. The ones I liked were either firm, sort of like Swiss cheese, or firmer, nearly as hard as Parmigiano-Reggiano. You might be able to hack away at the former with a Spork or similar plastic instrument, but not the latter. I regretted not having a knife.

There wine which came with menus peregrino, while generally ok, was not nearly as exciting as what was available in stores. While I drank my share of wine with menus peregrino, I enjoyed an occasional bottle with my wife in our occasional bed and breakfast, and was very glad to have a corkscrew.

Now, for 1 gram more than my 75 gram corkscrew, my Opinel is both a knife and a corkscrew. Everyone decides what is worth carrying; I think my Opinel will be worth its weight and am excited to have it.

Karl

I have the very same knife made by Victorinox, labelled 'Officier Suisse'. Although I think it's discontinued now and they use the name for a bigger model. It's done all my caminos, opened many bottles of wine and prepared numerous albergue meals for pilgrims. And the tweezers and toothpick are still intact. Top choice!

Nice knife; I had one and it was unbelievably sharp. The corkscrew only has 3 or 3.5 coils and may not work very well.

Karl

€149,-
Nice knife; I had one and it was unbelievably sharp. The corkscrew only has 3 or 3.5 coils and may not work very well.

Karl
If my new Wenger knife is the same as yours, then they have updated the corkscrew. Its exactly the same corkscrew as on my Victorinox huntsman (same factory, I think?). I've opened quite a few bottles with that one over the years. Always went well. :)

I recommend you check your Kestrel rucksack with the knife inside. Be sure you have a small bag to carry all your electronics, medications, documents and other things you will want enroute into the cabin. Anything, even a reusable / disposable plastic grocery shopping bag will work. But, I use a 20 liter Sea-to-Summit UltraSil day pack. Check it out here: http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86. You should be able to find it locally at an REI store, or online.

In Spain, Altus (www.altus.es) also sells an excellent and comparable day pack. See it here: http://www.altus.es/ficha_prod.php?idioma=2&idartic=5020032&posi=v

When stored, the UltraSil day sack is the size of a tennis ball and clips to my shoulder harness. Attached there, I can get it fast to use as a shopping tote, day pack or laundry sack, when the larger (48 liter) Kestrel is not desirable). It does excellent double duty as a carry-on for airplane use.

To protect my Osprey rucksack when checked, I usually use a 24 inch Eagle Creek (EC) duffel bag to hold my walking poles (collapsed) and the 48 liter Kestrel when checked as baggage. See the EC web site here: http://shop.eaglecreek.com/no-matter-what-flashpoint-duffel-m/d/1272_c_114. The bag is available less expensively online.

It is a tight fit, but that was the intention. Osprey makes a range of nylon "Airporter" duffels to do exactly the same thing. They cost less than the EC but can only be used to transport the rucksack. But, the EC duffel can be used as a piece of luggage when I do not need it to ship my rucksack. I had one of the Osprey sacks last year and used it between Washington, DC and Paris. My sole issue with the Osprey travel duffel is that there is a lot of extra material left that can get caught on airport luggage machinery and snag. I wanted a tighter - most custom fit. Hence the EC duffle.

Since returning home, I also discovered that the fully loaded 48 liter Kestrel rucksack fits nicely into an XXL sized, heavy duty, Hefty-brand Ziploc clothing storage bag. These bags are available in the U.S. at grocery stores, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. They measure 2.0 feet (24 inches) wide x 2.7 feet (33 inches) tall. The quoted volume is 20 U.S. gallons, or about 75 liters.

There is a handle. But the handle will not carry the weight of the loaded rucksack. On the other hand, the bag weighs only 3.8 ox (107 gm) when empty. Here is the web page with everything you might want to know about these bags: http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/BigBags.aspx?SizeName=XXL

My thought would be to use one Hefty Ziploc bag - TSA will like it as they can see what is in it - instead of the much heavier duffel bag. I would seal the "zip seam" with duck tape, and use duck tape to reinforce the handle. This way, the bad might snag, but it can be easily repaired with duck tape (which you should be carrying anyway).

The sack folds and stores very compactly. You could either use it as a rucksack liner to keep stuff dry, a seat for damp places, or anything else you could think of to use the mother of all Ziploc bags for. The bags come three to a box.

On arrival, I shift the carry on items appropriately, collapse the day pack unless I will need it enroute to my starting point, shift the collapsed poles to the outside of the rucksack and collapse the Eagle Creek duffel bag. At the first post office in Spain, I mail the duffel bag and anything I decided in the walk over the Pyrenees that I will no need until Santiago, to Ivar Rekves' office in Santiago. I usually send things like house keys, my flying compression socks, and depending on weather, any additional travel clothing I have. From Pamplona, you can send about 2 - 3 kg of stuff to Santiago for about 10 Euros. The post office "Correos" has boxes for sale.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In my opinion, unless you are going to be roughing it for much of the trip or doing serious cooking in the alburgue kitchens, the 'Classic' with the small blade and scissors is pretty much all you should need. I used it with salami, cutting open baguettes, trimming threads, cutting cord, opening packages, releasing zip-ties, yadda, yadda, yadda. At 16 grams, I don't think you can get more function for less weight.

I would pack a true corkscrew rather than a larger pocket knife / leatherman (their short screws can result in ripped corks). I used a 2-piece 'pocket' corkscrew (also 16 grams).

Also, you can get 'GI can openers' at any military surplus or camping store at about 8 grams.

This give you all the critical essentials at roughly 40 grams (less than 1.5 ounces).

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.