• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

knitting finding a yarn shop

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In Saint Jean Pied de Port at 9 rue de l'Eglise is the shop Au Fil de Laure which has sewing and kniting supplies, ie notions in English ( la mercerie, in French).

For similar shops in Spain Google the term la merceria with the town name of each stop. For example Pamplona merceria.

Happy stitching and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In Saint Jean Pied de Port at 9 rue de l'Eglise is the shop Au Fil de Laure which has sewing and kniting supplies, ie notions in English ( la mercerie, in French).

For similar shops in Spain Google the term la merceria with the town name of each stop. For example Pamplona merceria.

Happy stitching and Buen camino!
great! thanks....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'd looked up and written myself a list of likely yarn shops through Burgos and then in Madrid. That I forgot at home...Got fooled at least 3 times when stores were using yarn as decorations in their store windows and they didn't sell anything that had to do with fiber arts.
For example this window (click photo to make it larger): DSCF1001.jpeg
Also got fooled in Madrid when a store's window display was a bunch of the most beautiful artist's paint brushes (spied it while on my city walking tour and marked on my map where it was). When I got back to it last minute before heading out to my airport hotel, instead of being a high quality art supply store it ended up being, well, a big disappointment - mostly craft supplies and kid's stuff.

Last edited:
I'd looked up and written myself a list of likely yarn shops through Burgos and then in Madrid. That I forgot at home...Got fooled at least 3 times when stores were using yarn as decorations in their store windows and they didn't sell anything that had to do with fiber arts.
For example this window (click photo to make it larger): View attachment 24251
Also got fooled in Madrid when a store's window display was a bunch of the most beautiful artist's paint brushes (spied it while on my city walking tour and marked on my map where it was). When I got back to it last minute before heading out to my airport hotel, instead of being a high quality art supply store it ended up being, well, a big disappointment - mostly craft supplies and kid's stuff.
wow, they wouldn't sell the Katia yarn! I want to knit along my trek, but want to carry on my bag...so can't pack knitting needles...perhaps a crochet hook?

wow, they wouldn't sell the Katia yarn! I want to knit along my trek, but want to carry on my bag...so can't pack knitting needles...perhaps a crochet hook?
I've knit on planes for years and years using both wood and stainless steel circular needles and have never been challenged (before or after the advent of TSA). I pack nail clippers instead of scissors. On my camino I limited myself to knitting socks since it was just 100gr of sock yarn and the needles.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've had no problems travelling by air with knitting needles in my carry-on - both DPNs and Round. Round needles are very handy because you can tuck them in your pocket (yarn and all) when necessary.

I travel between Spain and the UK very regularly, almost always with knitting needles in my carry on, and have never had a problem. I have never been inclined to bring them on Camino though - I suppose I am usually too busy writing my blog.
Buen Camino!

I found sock yarn and bamboo dpns in Tiger shop in Burgos so got cracking in some socks! I am now in SdC and on Rua Nova there are two yarn shops! I spied some women lacemaking in one of them last night!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just love it that there are kindred spirits on every possible subject on this blog. Hubby suggested I might want to buy a special yarn on our trek from May-June as a special way to remember our Camino...great idea, but how do I find one? Here on Ivar's site, of course. Thanks everyone!

I've knit on planes for years and years using both wood and stainless steel circular needles and have never been challenged (before or after the advent of TSA). I pack nail clippers instead of scissors. On my camino I limited myself to knitting socks since it was just 100gr of sock yarn and the needles.
I could have written that very comment!!

I've bought yarn in Santiago and Madrid and made a blanket to remember each of our caminos. I'll upload pictures when I can use the computer.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I could have written that very comment!!

I've bought yarn in Santiago and Madrid and made a blanket to remember each of our caminos. I'll upload pictures when I can use the computer.
If I purchased enough yarn for a blanket, it might displace my sleeping bag! I am thinking more like a lacy shawl, but not certain yet. I did have my needles confiscated once- on a short flight from London to Rome several years ago, but only the one time.

Would love to see pix of your Camino projects.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I purchased my blanket yarn AFTER walking! On my first few caminos I took a wee ball of sock yarn to use in the evenings, but by my last camino I managed to leave the yarn at home and content myself with watercolours and sketching. I decided that by the time I had journalled and blogged, the time left for knitting was so scarce that it really wasn't worth carrying the wool! Here's my last pair of camino socks on the go at Casa Fernanda...
IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2882_small2.JPG

This blanket celebrated our 1,500km of walking ups and downs - each set of three stripes was based on a photo we had taken along the way. When I purchased the cotton in Santiago they gave me a voucher to get 30 euros off my next purchase. So we returned the next day and one of my daughters chose colours she loved and I made her a little flower lap blanket - finished it just before we touched down in NZ!
IMG_2792_small2.JPG

Then came the Camino Portuguese with all its cobblestones and tiles and rich colours....
image_medium2.jpg

Next up was the Via de la Plata with all its beautiful spring flowers that inspired the palette:
image_small2.jpeg

When I finished this I decided it really wasn't flowery enough and so I have started another: IMG_1001.JPG

I can see what it will be like in my head;-)
I'm not a bright colours person, so these have been a real departure from my preferred palette, but at the same time they have been a lot of fun to design and make. I'd like to do a coastal camino to have an excuse to do blue ripples! And another Portuguese to do blue and white motifs. I still have to do an autumnal blanket for our first September camino, but I just can't bring myself to play with brown and orange yet!

Attachments

• IMG_2970.JPG
    IMG_2970.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
Oh my, those are indeed huge projects! Much more yarn than I could ever carry in my backpack. I don't crochet, just knitting for me, but I was thinking more along the lines of knitting a little each day, so would have to be smaller, perhaps lacy. I guess when I think of Spain I think of mantilla's, so a lacy shawl or wrap of some sort, to remember my walk and where I knit it.

I suspect many towns will have specific knitting shops. Attached is a photo of one in Arzua. "China" stores will have an entire section of knitting supplies. They have become ubiquitous.

Attachments

• IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh my, those are indeed huge projects! Much more yarn than I could ever carry in my backpack.
Me too - that's why socks were my carry-along project of choice;-)
But I did manage to squish all that wool into our carry-on backpacks to get it home.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.