• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Knitting on the Norte

dnaleonard

Time of past OR future Camino
One Camino Or The Other (Feb/March 2020)
One last question before I am on my way. Are there any knitters (or non-knitters!) who have found yarn shops along the Norte? There are so many on this forum that know so much, maybe some of you are knitters too!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Using the ‘search’ function; you can find most anything on this forum.
I had a memory that @Kiwi-family likes to knit .

Check out link to post by kiwi family

Also @Moorwalker and others in this link to what luxury items people carry on the camino

Refer post #82. And #21. Possibly more

If they haven’t actually mentioned the Norte - I’m thinking that Kiwi-family might know the answer anyway.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One last question before I am on my way. Are there any knitters (or non-knitters!) who have found yarn shops along the Norte? There are so many on this forum that know so much, maybe some of you are knitters too!
I'm a knitter but I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question. I've found yarn stores in Seville and Barcelona so I'd be very surprised if larger towns didn't have yarn stores. I like knitting socks partly because carrying enough yarn for a pair weighs 100g or so, and a set of double-pointed needles are small enough to fit into a pocket.

Edited because my fingers appear not to know how to spell today.

Im not a knitter, but anyone traveling by plane would definately have to keep their knitting needles down in the hold...I once had a plastic knife with a rounded tip from a fast food restaurant confiscated from my backpack at the airport.

Im not a knitter, but anyone traveling by plane would definately have to keep their knitting needles down in the hold...I once had a plastic knife with a rounded tip from a fast food restaurant confiscated from my backpack at the airport.
That's not generally true any longer. Most airlines now permit knitting needles, especially if you use circulars or small DPNs. I haven't had any problems at all for some years now, although I always put a safety line through the last row of stitches just in case they get funny about it and i have to dump my needles.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm a knitter but I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question. I've found yarn stores in Seville and Barcelona so I'd be very surprised if larger towns didn't have yarn stores. I like knitting socks partly because carrying enough yarn for a pair weighs 100g or so, and a set of double-pointed needles are small enough to fit into a pocket.

Edited because my fingers appear not to know how to spell today.
That's great. I am hoping to find some little village shops along the way. It's fun to knit things up with trip yarn. Great memories!

I don't want to jinx myself, but I have had great luck flying with my needles with the exception of my flight to NYC a couple of weeks after 9/11. I get some of my best knitting done on airplanes. I don't dread the long haul flights so much when I make such good progress on a project!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's not generally true any longer. Most airlines now permit knitting needles, especially if you use circulars or small DPNs. I haven't had any problems at all for some years now, although I always put a safety line through the last row of stitches just in case they get funny about it and i have to dump my needles.
Ahh, a lifeline is a great idea!

I don't want to jinx myself, but I have had great luck flying with my needles with the exception of my flight to NYC a couple of weeks after 9/11. I get some of my best knitting done on airplanes. I don't dread the long haul flights so much when I make such good progress on a project!
Maybe I'll try bringing my collapsed hiking poles again next time and include a ball of yarn...that may just do the trick! 😉

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m sorry I can’t answer your question about the Norte from experience and I don’t have time right now to do what I’ve done for other routes I’ve been on (but you can try it)....google yarn shop + name of town.
Like some of the other knitters I take a ball of sock yarn and circulars from home. I have also been known to buy yarn for a “camino blanket” in Santiago and Madrid post-walking.

I’m sorry I can’t answer your question about the Norte from experience and I don’t have time right now to do what I’ve done for other routes I’ve been on (but you can try it)....google yarn shop + name of town.
Like some of the other knitters I take a ball of sock yarn and circulars from home. I have also been known to buy yarn for a “camino blanket” in Santiago and Madrid post-walking.
Oh yes, I’ll be googling the whole way. Was looking for any standouts that people may have come across. If you find a special one it usually sticks in your mind. I love your trip inspired blankets. So beautiful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.