• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Knitting & The Camino

ksam

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Francigena...2024
So. @SabineP mentioned knitting over on NOT a serious thread , which got me thinking. Have you knit something Camino related? Have you knit ON the Camino. I've done the former and am now planning to do the later this fall. So this is just a shout out to fellow knitters to see what you may have done. Perhaps we can share patterns?

Last spring I made the following pattern for our National Gathering of APOC. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/scallop-lace-hat. It was a fun knit once I got the hang of it. It also makes a very light weight hat that I'd easily think of bringing for a cool weather walk on the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As an advid knitter this post caught my eye, obviously I don't knit on the Camino (can't get the needles past plane security). But here is the blanket Scott asked me to knit for him when he was undergoing chemo, it's the history of his life in wool and if you are sharp eyed you may spot more then a few Camino references.image.jpeg

I knit but haven't figured out how practical it would be on the camino - weight, size 8-10 needles, etc. I was thinking of taking my recently completed fingerless gloves. :) I walk in October/November on the Frances.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As an advid knitter this post caught my eye, obviously I don't knit on the Camino (can't get the needles past plane security). But here is the blanket Scott asked me to knit for him when he was undergoing chemo, it's the history of his life in wool and if you are sharp eyed you may spot more then a few Camino references.View attachment 45896

This is so precious and gorgeous!! Thank you very much for sharing.

As an advid knitter this post caught my eye, obviously I don't knit on the Camino (can't get the needles past plane security). But here is the blanket Scott asked me to knit for him when he was undergoing chemo, it's the history of his life in wool and if you are sharp eyed you may spot more then a few Camino references.View attachment 45896
So beautyfull, thank you

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I normally knit, but because of airline issues, on a Camino I take my crocheting, and lace weight merino, and last time I made a cowl.
It made for a talking point with our hosts, with them coming over to see what I was making and often showing me their crafts.
But considering Spain was the home of the merino, yarn was surprisingly hard to find.
I wanted to take some home as a souvenir but only found yarn shops in Burgos and Leon. I was hoping for Santiago as I didn't want to carry it with me.
After my first Camino , I made some Camino hats for the international friends I made on the Camino.
In plain colours with the Camino arrow in reverse stocking stitch. They looked great and were very well received. I should release the pattern, the only thing putting me off is having to knit yet another because I forgot to get decent photos the first time around.

What a beautiful gift for him!!

I'm a bit baffled by folks saying they can't take knitting needles on a plane. I have taken them on every plane I've ever been on with no trouble at all. USA and Europe. For the Camino I take a lightweight bamboo circular needle and lightweight yarn to make a scarf so I'm not adding much weight. I've done this 3 times. It's a wonderful way to relax after spending the day hiking. I love the scallop hat pattern that was posted and am putting it on my to-do list!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
But here is the blanket Scott asked me to knit for him when he was undergoing chemo, it's the history of his life in wool and if you are sharp eyed you may spot more then a few Camino references.

The camino references are great but I am more interested in his Soviet pirate stories myself! :)

I'm a bit baffled by folks saying they can't take knitting needles on a plane. I have taken them on every plane I've ever been on with no trouble at all. USA and Europe. For the Camino I take a lightweight bamboo circular needle and lightweight yarn to make a scarf so I'm not adding much weight. I've done this 3 times. It's a wonderful way to relax after spending the day hiking. I love the scallop hat pattern that was posted and am putting it on my to-do list!!
I had mine confiscated once (I think I met a particularly zealous customs guard), and have been nervous since, so since I also crochet I take that instead. Its also easy as you only ever have one loop.

Last weekend I spent the weekend at a knitting conference in Napier NZ. On the flight back (knitting on domestic flights in NZ is fine) there were about 25 of us. It was hilarious watching the other passengers' confusion as they became aware of all these women knitting. One of them said it was like being in an alternative universe where knitters rule, and they were the odd one out.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I see a New Mexico flag in there too. That is an amazing knitting job!

Was it this? I dont remember the name of the village.

Attachments

• 20170602_101847.jpg
    20170602_101847.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 71
There's a (fairly new) tradition where I live of decorating post boxes at Christmas:

Capture 3.JPGCapture1.JPG

But on my first Camino (just after 9/11 so before security tightened up) I was walking with a couple of teachers, one Chilean, the other Swiss. The Swiss lady was knitting a pair of socks for her friend as she walked along including turning heels!

I've three older brothers and we were all taught to knit either by Gran or our mother. I remember two of us getting the measles at the same time and being dumped into our parents' bed and given wool and needles to keep us amused. We'd have about 6 inches of wool cast on and were told to knit a square but not cast off.

When we'd done this mum would take it away and bring us a freshly cast on row.

Many years later I started to wonder about what had happened to all the dozens of knitted squares? Had they all been joined up and given to a charity? No said my brother. Mum would unravel the wool and we'd knit the same square over and over and over again.

Another childhood illusion shattered :(

A selection of Camino Jewellery
But here is the blanket Scott asked me to knit for him
That is amazing, Hel. What a glorious gift. I've never mastered knitting patterns in different colours, so what you've made is just...wow...

And @Peter Fransiscus , it may not be knitted, but that quilted tapestry is also very beautiful.

Last weekend I spent the weekend at a knitting conference in Napier NZ. On the flight back (knitting on domestic flights in NZ is fine) there were about 25 of us. It was hilarious watching the other passengers' confusion as they became aware of all these women knitting. One of them said it was like being in an alternative universe where knitters rule, and they were the odd one out.
Hahahaha! I can well imagine, especially if the flight was in one of those smaller prop planes where 25 knitters would be the majority of the passengers. Did you take a picture?

It’s true, on some airlines. My friend (in a wheelchair and very ill) had her needles confiscated whilst flying from Germany to London Stansted.
I asked at London Gatwick if they would be allowed on board (flying to Spain) and they seemed puzzled ‘yeah, why not?’.
Go figure.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, Moratinos ladies decked the plaza trees in a Yarn Bombing that is pleasing to both locals and pilgrims. This year a knitting/crochet group from my hometown in Pennsylvania (they make coverlets for babies in hospital intensive care units) took their excess squares and shipped them here to freshen up the Moratinos effort (we have only five knitters here.) If any of you would like to donate your work to this Home on the Meseta, do get in touch, we have more trees than blankets!
IMG-20160613-WA0001_resized_1.jpg

I knit on my sock, on a size 000 dpn. It passed inspection in Boston, Frankfurt, and Barcelona, but not Istanbul. I bought a new one when I got home. I don't usually knit while walking, but once in a while.

That is amazing, Hel. What a glorious gift. I've never mastered knitting patterns in different colours, so what you've made is just...wow...

And @Peter Fransiscus , it may not be knitted, but that quilted tapestry is also very beautiful.

Hahahaha! I can well imagine, especially if the flight was in one of those smaller prop planes where 25 knitters would be the majority of the passengers. Did you take a picture?
No I didnt. that was a missed opportunity. You are right, it was one of those smaller planes, we were the majority - it was awesome..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

What a beautiful gift. So much love.

I had mine confiscated once (I think I met a particularly zealous customs guard), and have been nervous since, so since I also crochet I take that instead. Its also easy as you only ever have one loop.

LOL - I swapped knitting for cross stitch years ago because it takes less space, but I haven't done much for years. Last year we had a couple of weeks in Queensland and I took my cross stitch with me for the Jetstar (no entertainment) flight across the TAsman - there was a spare row at the back of the plane - so I moved there to spread out and cross stitch - and I entertained the entre flight crew and the people waiting for the loo - it was a big a conversation starter as walking a dog - really does break the ice - people are intrigued.

You're so right! There is no prohibition on taking knitting needles through airport security. I've been knitting on airplanes on needles up to size 20 and have never received even a second look as my project and supplies go through the X-ray machine.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’d not thought of knitting on the Camino before, but it’s a marvellous idea! I find it a meditative experience which would nicely pair with the pilgrimage. My first thought was concern about the extra weight, but I like the ideas of others in packing a lace weight yarn. Perhaps I can work on a fine merino shawl with a shell border. New goal: to photograph a beautiful piece laid over the rock at Finisterre....

In Fall, 2016 I joined Nela (Polish) in Viana as Hospitalera.......and on my 'free' times during those 2 weeks, sat at a bar facing the Albergue, knitting a skater's hat, my own hand-dyed, hand-spun Merino. Perfect parting gift to her when we said aurivoir in Lagrono; her heading to SanSalvidor/Primitivo and me, on Francis (again). My moniker is that exact knitting place :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've three older brothers and we were all taught to knit either by Gran or our mother. I remember two of us getting the measles at the same time and being dumped into our parents' bed and given wool and needles to keep us amused. We'd have about 6 inches of wool cast on and were told to knit a square but not cast off.
When we'd done this mum would take it away and bring us a freshly cast on row.
Many years later I started to wonder about what had happened to all the dozens of knitted squares? Had they all been joined up and given to a charity? No said my brother. Mum would unravel the wool and we'd knit the same square over and over and over again.
Another childhood illusion shattered :(

This is either an elegant Zen lesson or a sadistic prank.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow...thanks for all the responses everyone!! And some of the work posted here is absolutely beautiful!! @hel&scott I can't believe that blanket! Amazing work.

I knit socks with shells on them.
Wow...do you have a pattern or could you tell me where to find it?

Gracias a todo!

@Rebekah Scott ... will definitely send some knitting for yarn bombing your way!! :)

Hi I have just knitted this to accompany me on my Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What a lovely thread. I have just taken up knitting and it is making me think that I might take a lightweight project to knit when we walk the first two weeks of the Norte this June.

I go to the yarn shop across from Pilgrim House after my walk and get my fix there. I have to learn how to knit socks for my next Camino. It is compact and light to take along. I love the hat pattern and will make some for my Camino sisters. Thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.