• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

knives?

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
can you tell me if you ended up using any knife like implement?
I got a light weight swiss army knife but wonder if merely a pair of scissors to cut moleskin is enough?
I don't drink so the cork screw is not important ;-)
nancy
making plane reservations soon for September 2016 excited!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used my swiss army knife fairly often as I found that many kitchens had a knife but was so dull it would struggle with cutting warm butter! Plus I do drink wine so the corkscrew was oft used :D

Buen Camino
Jordon

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I lost mine the last time and really struggled. It's really, really hard to cut open a melon with small, collapsible scissors and a plastic spoon... Will definitely check an extra time that I haven't left it at home!

I carry an Opinel for food prep, small curved blade scissors for toenails and field dressings, and a cork-screw for emergencies. Combined they still weigh less than my favourite Swiss-army job.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Definitely take one along. Used mine for cutting various food items especially when stopping on the road for lunch. I had a pair of manicuring scissors but having them built in to the knife would be best. Used my scissors to cut open a blister that would not drain using needle and thread...ugh...but one of an untold number great Camino experiences. Walking today in Wisconsin.. 5 above 0. Still experiencing the joy of each step that I came to understand on the Camino. Buen Camino!

I did not have one on our 2013 Camino, but I'm definitely taking an Opinel on our upcoming Camino.

Nearly every European we walked with had one, and they were constantly useful - for slicing up chorizo and queso if nothing else!

Take what you prefer, use what you bring. But, please understand that in Spain, the maximum blade length allowed is 11 cm (4.33 inches) from hinge to blade tip. If you have a knife longer than this, you risk police interest. In any event, it must travel in checked luggage on airplanes.

I have used a lock-blade Swiss Army knife with attached scissor, and corkscrew, among the usual accouterments of most Swiss Army knives for several years. The lock-blade is likely illegal, but I prefer it. It does everything I need and more. But it DOES weigh a fair amount, at 4.6 ounces or about 131 grams, without a case.

http://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Large-Pocket-Knives/Outrider/p/0.9023

More recently, I obtained a Gerber Dime "Travel" that has everything I need, except a knife blade. I can take this tool on airplanes, and have done so without TSA interest. Check this out...

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/Activity/Everyday/Tools/dime-travel_31-002777

The scissor usually suffices for whatever cutting I need to do. if not, someone else usually has a knife blade handy. I plan to use thi on future Caminos...starting this year.

The Gerber Dime weighs a LOT less (2.2 oz or 64 gm) than the Swiss Army knife (4.6 oz or 131 gm) without cases.

I hope this helps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I got a light weight swiss army knife but wonder if merely a pair of scissors to cut moleskin is enough?
nancy
I always have a knife with me. I use it fr many, many things. I bought an inexpensive Opinel (French made) in San Jean. Still have it.

I carried a small CRKT Ritter RSK only $20 (picture below)...stainless steel, 3.8 inches, less then an ounce, presharpened, with a fitted kydex sheath...and it worked great on fruit, string, zip ties, and almost a big dog that did not like bikes on the route to Muxia...the dog charged me four times and if I did not have the bike to block the dog's attacks this would have ended badly...can be worn around the neck on a cord, looped with a cord to your jacket or pack, and I carried mine looped to the handlebars of my bike so I could free it quickly if necessary.

Attachments

• CRKT Ritter RSK.png
    CRKT Ritter RSK.png
    304.8 KB · Views: 25
I used my Gerber STL 2.5 knife (41g) a lot. Picnics and dinners, cutting bocadillo or that "lovely" Spanish toast into bite sized pieces, cutting fruits and veggies. I used my nail clippers as scissors. Was able to borrow wine openers when needed. I put it on a very light 1.8 mm leash hooked to the inside of the lid of my pack so I didn't leave it on a picnic table somewhere.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We used a knife to repair a backpack on a lonely stretch of the Camino - of course the backpack couldn't break in town or even close to a town - it had to break in the middle of nowhere.

thanks all for the opinions and options
Nanc

My Opinel bought in SJPdP is my favourite camino souvenir and goes back with me every time. I carry it constantly at home too.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yep! I'm an Opinel fan too. If you enjoy a nice juicy orange as you walk on a fine day a size six Opinel will come in handy. Apart from any other use that is. They are only a few euros each and make a great souvenir.
Regards
Gerard

Are corks still common in Spain with wine? So used to screwtops now, I wouldn't have thought to bring a corkscrew.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yep! I'm an Opinel fan too. If you enjoy a nice juicy orange as you walk on a fine day a size six Opinel will come in handy. Apart from any other use that is. They are only a few euros each and make a great souvenir.
Regards
Gerard
Gerard you use an Opinel and PacerPoles - no wonder you're a good bloke!

nancy
I am also starting September 2016. Beyond excited, and nervous also. What country are you coming from? Are you starting in St Jean?

Much more important than what type or brand of knife, is that it is sharp.

That said, I started with one (Leatherman CS4) and it did everything I expected it to. It is my normal backpacking knife and I have carried it on hikes for years. So no surprises there.

The next thing to consider is durability. I saw a couple cheap "Swiss Army" knives fail. Also, many others that were almost as dull as the knives in the communal kitchens. Not much point if that is what you have.

One last thing- Is it going to add value? If you don't plan to cook you don't need much of a blade. If you don't drink wine you won't use a corkscrew. If you don't wear glasses there isn't any use in a tiny screwdriver. Personally, for me, the weight vs the uses made it worth taking. Others would be better served with a small, simple blade.

Something to consider beyond pocket knives. Are you planning to cook regularly? If so consider a kitchen knife. While my pocket knife was sharp enough to chop onions & garlic, and slice cheese, apples, chorizo, & bread it wasn't the best tool for the job. While I had not intended to cook when I started the Camino, as the days and weeks went on I found myself doing it with some regularity. So one day I stopped into a ferreterĂ­a and bought a light kitchen knife with a plastic cover. Nothing like sharp, properly sized knife to make cooking more pleasurable.

image.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
nancy
The corkscrew is important, you never know when you might need to help out a fellow pilgrim struggling to uncork a bottle. :). Seriously though, I used my knife to slice an apple and peel an unpeelable orange. I have cut and buttered bread, used the bottle opener for a coke bottle and of course the scissors to cut a pressure bandage to size

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back