• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Know when to stop

A

Anemone del Camino

I finally had time to walk a full Camino, or some 1000km. Plan was VDLP to Sevilla, then the Invierno followed by the Salvador.

But 300km or so in, after two cafes con leche and a tomato tostada in Grimaldo, I heard and felt something pop in my knee. Could hardly put my foot down. Called a taxi to take me to the albergue. RICEd. Limped on my poles to dinner. RICEd.

Next day was a bit better. Because it was Easter weekend and a bottleneck, taxied to Sra Elenas. Spent two nights, until the medical center opened. Tendon something or other was the diagnosis. "How long until I can walk again?" says the walker. "A long time" says the :confused:. "What is long?" asks the walker. "A while" said soc. Walker called airline and travel insurer and flew home 4 weeks early.

MRI results back: large tear of miniscus and some francture nothing can be done with.

Appointment with orthopedist in 4 weeks. It is summer holiday season after all. Wonder how long I'll have to wait for surgery, if that is the selected route (considering I have been limping since mid-April, 3 months, I am willing to bet a tiny hole in my flesh is in my future... )

I am getting old! Just last week I showed interest in a poster at the drugstore about Zona vaccination. A vaccine for those 50 and older! Argh!!!!! :eek:o_O:confused: When did I stop being 23? :confused::cool:

All this to say, I am so glad I listened to my body and didn't go along with "ligament issue" as the diagnosis. It was too painful for that. Second Camino pain. First plantar fasciitis on the Norte, now this. Did I say I am getting old? :rolleyes:

Buy your insurance, and use it.

And please, stop posting things that make me want to go off to walk again next week.

Honestly, my greatest fear right now, is not to be able to walk 20km a day for a few years in Spain once a year. It's what keeps me balanced. Actually, what I would ideally do to keep balanced is 2 weeks, twice a year. Argh o_O:(

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well that stinks, but at least you now know for sure whats going on. Since you can sorta still walk, they will probably have you wait a bit for your turn with the knee guy. The bad news is, you are outa service for a while. The good news is, its not forever.

I foresee a date with a physiotherapist in your future. Lots of people don't follow through with physio, because it just isn't any fun. You, however, have a motive to Get Well. I predict that's just what going to happen. You will be a model patient for the therapist, because the call from Spain just will not leave you alone. See you on the trail next year.

Indeed Anemone...no news you want to hear.
On the good side : meniscus op nowadays in not so invasive as ten years ago, surgery methods are much better.
But like Rick says : go to the physio afterwards, it makes all the difference.

All the best!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We old girls used to the beautiful Belgian food are on the same page.

How is your recovery going?

Well my MRI made clear that meniscus and patella are intact so no major issues there. But cartilage thinning, some minor issues with Hoffa pad and arthrose...http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/knee-pain/fat-pad-impingement
But physio really helped , just have to do my daily excercises.
Just doing some shorter weekend walks so not sure what consecutive walking days will give. But will get there. I hope...

Sad news, do take care and hope you (both) get fit, well and walking again before too long.

Welcome to the group of knee-impaired on the caminos! Exercises, doing what my physiotherapist says regarding stairs, using poles and medication - I've walked many hundreds of kms since my arthrosis diagnosis, which came 11 years after most of my meniscus went. (I'll never do the Norte. There are plenty of flatter caminos left.)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sorry to hear!

You mentioned age... I don't know your age but "older" people are tougher than the young ones, in my opinion!

I sometimes feel that older people are faster than the younger, and that women can do longer stages than men. I have walked with a few of them (Or, to be more precise: they have outrun me). With the right amount of rest and exercise, I am sure you will be back on the Camino in no time!

Welcome to the group of knee-impaired on the caminos! Exercises, doing what my physiotherapist says regarding stairs, using poles and medication - I've walked many hundreds of kms since my arthrosis diagnosis, which came 11 years after most of my meniscus went. (I'll never do the Norte. There are plenty of flatter caminos left.)
I can recommend part of the Voie de Paris / Tours to St. Jean Pied de Port. Walk the route through the Charente Maritime, it's pretty much flat all the way. Some very lonely stretches (i.e.not many people around) but tranquil, and beautiful Romanesque churches two a penny and great vistas.

Every time I go for a walk I count my blessing that I can... for having the health, for having the time, for the love of it... every time is a blessing. To lose one of these things is heart-breaking and so i wish you a speedy recovery to full health... and many more years of walking :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
When you're cleared, think about swimming laps or doing water aerobics. Good for both maintaining fitness and strengthening the muscles around your knee with resistance from the water but without putting pressure on the joint. Speaking from experience.

I finally had time to walk a full Camino, or some 1000km. Plan was VDLP to Sevilla, then the Invierno followed by the Salvador.

But 300km or so in, after two cafes con leche and a tomato tostada in Grimaldo, I heard and felt something pop in my knee. Could hardly put my foot down. Called a taxi to take me to the albergue. RICEd. Limped on my poles to dinner. RICEd.

Next day was a bit better. Because it was Easter weekend and a bottleneck, taxied to Sra Elenas. Spent two nights, until the medical center opened. Tendon something or other was the diagnosis. "How long until I can walk again?" says the walker. "A long time" says the :confused:. "What is long?" asks the walker. "A while" said soc. Walker called airline and travel insurer and flew home 4 weeks early.

MRI results back: large tear of miniscus and some francture nothing can be done with.

Appointment with orthopedist in 4 weeks. It is summer holiday season after all. Wonder how long I'll have to wait for surgery, if that is the selected route (considering I have been limping since mid-April, 3 months, I am willing to bet a tiny hole in my flesh is in my future... )

I am getting old! Just last week I showed interest in a poster at the drugstore about Zona vaccination. A vaccine for those 50 and older! Argh!!!!! :eek:o_O:confused: When did I stop being 23? :confused::cool:

All this to say, I am so glad I listened to my body and didn't go along with "ligament issue" as the diagnosis. It was too painful for that. Second Camino pain. First plantar fasciitis on the Norte, now this. Did I say I am getting old? :rolleyes:

Buy your insurance, and use it.

And please, stop posting things that make me want to go off to walk again next week.

Honestly, my greatest fear right now, is not to be able to walk 20km a day for a few years in Spain once a year. It's what keeps me balanced. Actually, what I would ideally do to keep balanced is 2 weeks, twice a year. Argh o_O:(
So pleased you listened to your body. I complete the Camino Frances tomorrow. I've seen so many people walking with an injury or two! For some reason there are people who feel that to stop walking is a failure. Each to their own. Take care of yourself and you'll be raring to go once it's healed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So pleased you listened to your body. I complete the Camino Frances tomorrow. I've seen so many people walking with an injury or two! For some reason there are people who feel that to stop walking is a failure. Each to their own. Take care of yourself and you'll be raring to go once it's healed.

Yes, and I noticed a lot of the people with wrapped knees or pronounced limps were young. So not always age-related, but sometimes more "I feel like stopping, but I will keep going instead."

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Third time a charm? I hope so . I have two trips (2014 & 2016) and both times injuries shut me down . 2014 L5 bundle crunch , 2016 left knee gone (actually its still there but not doing knee stuff) , 2017 May operation and 3 months recovery getting focused for 2019 for my 72nd birthday gift . Will depart from Logrono .. hope the third time IS the charm Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thinking of you, and wishing you well.
Jill

[...]Honestly, my greatest fear right now, is not to be able to walk 20km a day for a few years in Spain once a year. It's what keeps me balanced. Actually, what I would ideally do to keep balanced is 2 weeks, twice a year. Argh o_O:(
Don't worry too much;) Our bones and ligaments are easily put in limbo for some time at a certain age (you're not there yet!), but take care of them and they will last a couple of Caminos more. :) We just have to adjust our mental wishes to reality.:p

Hi, Anemone, I am sure that all of us forum old timers will at some point have to move over to arm chair camino forum participants. But hope springs eternal, so hang in there and fingers crossed that the wonders of modern medicine can get you back on the Camino soon. Buen camino, Laurie

Peregrina - Never give in ! Never give up ! Never stop until you breathe your last !

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well, damn. I'm so sorry for your injury. I truly hope that some minor surgery and/or exercises will due the trick. Even knee replacement surgery has come a long way. I have a coworker in her later 30's? Maybe 40 by now. Who got a new knee and she was back to normal hiking within a year. So there is hope even if it takes a few more months than you would want.
In the meantime, you can still be a huge resource to those on this forum. Hugs, and a prayer tonight that the Lord helps you through these difficult times.

@Anemone del Camino so sorry to hear this, I do hope your make a full recovery and are walking pain free soon. My foot seems to be recovering and I'm full of hope for another camino. I also take heart from Erica, a wonderful Canadian I met on the Camino this year. She's 88 and walks the Sarria to Santiago section of the CF every year. Has been doing it for years. She has a walking stick and only does 5km to 8km each day, but still absolutely loves it.

@Anemone del Camino so sorry to hear this, I do hope your make a full recovery and are walking pain free soon.

I also take heart from Erica, a wonderful Canadian I met on the Camino this year. She's 88 and walks the Sarria to Santiago section of the CF every year. Has been doing it for years. She has a walking stick and only does 5km to 8km each day, but still absolutely loves it.
I want to be Erica when I grow up. But I would walk another route, even if I had to taxi back and forth :D.

Glad to hear your foot is healing well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
She seems to be well known and a part of the family in many of the albergues along the route - we went ahead of her and let them know when to expect her.

She seems to be well known and a part of the family in many of the albergues along the route - we went ahead of her and let them know when to expect her.
Ahe must be getting the royal treatment as she should.

On a different topic: have you ever bbq'd pulpo? I just put one on the grill and went to look at it: the colour is deap, just beautiful. I never boil/simmer, but in summer I prefer cooking outdoors.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.