• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kumano Kodo article in Afar magazine

Saranger

Time of past OR future Camino
Samos-Santiago 2015 & 2016
Porto-Santiago 2017
Kumano Kodo March 2018
Ferrol-Santiago May 2019
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for sharing this. I've been to Japan many times and have been thinking about doing one of the pilgrimages. I spent the summer of 1973 on Shikoku, home of the most famous pilgrimage, long before the bridge and influx of people.

Sounds memorable. I love Japan and have also been many times. Climbed Mt. Fuji at night and saw the sunrise from the summit in 1999. So many wonderful places to visit and not enough time!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for posting this. I am so excited - I am walking this trail myself the week after next!

I've booked my accommodations through the tourist office in Tanabe rather than use a tour operator. It was more than a little confusing to start with, trying to work out the maps and where the villages with minshukus or ryokkans are. http://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/kumano-kodo/

I have set up a facebook page for friends and family to 'follow' me - do join me as I aim to become a Dual Pilgrim (as at 22 February when the 1000th Dual Pilgrim was celebrated, there were only 28 registered Dual Pilgrims from England).

https://www.facebook.com/juliawalksthekumanokodo/

Thanks for the post.

Thank you for posting this. I am so excited - I am walking this trail myself the week after next!

I've booked my accommodations through the tourist office in Tanabe rather than use a tour operator. It was more than a little confusing to start with, trying to work out the maps and where the villages with minshukus or ryokkans are. http://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/kumano-kodo/

I have set up a facebook page for friends and family to 'follow' me - do join me as I aim to become a Dual Pilgrim (as at 22 February when the 1000th Dual Pilgrim was celebrated, there were only 28 registered Dual Pilgrims from England).

https://www.facebook.com/juliawalksthekumanokodo/

I look forward to hearing about your journey. Are you a Japanese speaker, curious about how much language might or might not be a barrier.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Brought back fond memories. In March 2015 I walked into the tourist office after completing the Kumano Kodo. I went to the counter and given that I could not speak Japanese simply said “Dual Pilgrim”

Well everyone in the office stopped working as the young lady at the counter yelled out something. Immediately people were excitedly mulling around me wanting to see my credential cards. Talk about 15 minutes of fleeting fame!

Turns out it was a novelty then and I was the 5th person to become a Dual Pilgrim! Pictures taken and I was paraded over to a glass case where 4 previous pilgrims had their pictures. I understood my picture was to be included in the glass case

I have no idea if that ever happened...doubt there would be 1,000 pictures in the case now

Anyone interested I blogged about the Kumano Kodo www.caminolongwalk.blogspot.ca

This article appears in the current issue (Feb-Mar '18) of Afar magazine. The 1,000th Dual Pilgrim (program began in 2015) was recognized in February 2018. I imagine the number of foreigners undertaking this pilgrimage will only increase as the Kumano Kodo receives more international media coverage.

/QUOTE]

Is there a forum similar to this one allowing folks to share information / experience?

Thanks,

I've not found a forum, but there are several groups on facebook. Members are from all over the world, and I've found them to be very helpful with advice, planning and general information.

Hiking Camino de Santiago and then the World
Kumano Kodo ↔️ Santiago De Compostela - The Dual UNESCO Pilgrimage Routes
Kumano Kodo Planning

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This article appears in the current issue (Feb-Mar '18) of Afar magazine. The 1,000th Dual Pilgrim (program began in 2015) was recognized in February 2018. I imagine the number of foreigners undertaking this pilgrimage will only increase as the Kumano Kodo receives more international media coverage.

https://www.afar.com/magazine/disconnect-from-the-modern-world-on-a-pilgrims-path-through-japan?category=overview&guide=14&email=c2FyYWdyYWRAaXgubmV0Y29tLmNvbQ==&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=hike in japan&utm_content=Final&utm_term=Daily Wander Newsletter

Thank you for posting this article - I’ll be going to Japan to walk the Kumano Kodo in October and I’m reading any articles I can find on it. It will be interesting to see how many other Camino veterans I run into while I’m walking!

I booked through the local Tanabe travel as well. I took some Japanese classes in university 25 years ago but am not proficient at all. Throughout my many other visits to Japan I have always made it past the language barrier with smiles and friendliness (they are universal). I'll make a post recapping the Kumano Kodo with suggestions for future pilgrims.

How does one say “Buen Camino” in Japanese?

I look forward to hearing about your journey. Are you a Japanese speaker, curious about how much language might or might not be a barrier.

Just back from the Kumano Kodo, walked from Takijiri-oji to Kumano Hongu Taisha, as well as visited the other grand shrines of Hayatama Taisha and Nachi Taisha. Everything worked out great! Staff at Tanabe Tourisn office are so very helpful with bus schedules, accommodation, luggage shuttle (you really do not want to carry anything bigger than a day pack on the Kumano Kodo), and more. Once you finish as a Dual Pilgrim, be sure to inquire about the taiko drum use at the temple. That was truly memorable for me!

A word about the language barrier: I took a semester of Japanese at University 20+ years ago and have used some on subsequent visits over the last 22 years. I’m still a beginner but with a few key phrases, important nouns, and gestures, a smile, a positive attitude, and willingness to be outside your comfort zone and try new things (like the food and Japanese communal hot spring baths-onsens) you’ll have a great adventure! Google Translate app works very well. I had cell service all over Wakayama (better coverage than at home).

If anyone has any questions, I’m happy to help. Highly recommended.

Attachments

• E5E0DAF6-1386-4FD6-BEA7-6B0BEA455D24.jpeg
    E5E0DAF6-1386-4FD6-BEA7-6B0BEA455D24.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 0BC68096-B664-41D7-8118-457DE117856D.jpeg
    0BC68096-B664-41D7-8118-457DE117856D.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 5
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for posting this article - I’ll be going to Japan to walk the Kumano Kodo in October and I’m reading any articles I can find on it. It will be interesting to see how many other Camino veterans I run into while I’m walking!

We didn’t meet any other Camino veterans and only encountered 5 people over three days of walking: four were Japanese retirees walking the opposite direction on day 1, and one Japanese solo walker about our age on day 3. We did see a lot of day trippers on day 3, mainly from Australia. As the Kumano Kodo gains exposure, more people are taking their first pilgrimage. I expect over the next few years to see more Dual Pilgrims showing up in Santiago after getting a taste of walking from the Kumano Kodo.

There's definitely not the spirit of camaraderie of the Camino here with communal meals and shared vino, but the hosts at our lodgings do share the same hospitality, even with the language barrier.

Still don't know if there's a Japanese equivalent of “Buen Camino,” but saying “Konnichi-wa” will work well!

What is a dual pilgrim?

A Dual Pilgrim is someone recognized for having walked both the Camino de Santiago and the Kumano Kodo. You get a nice certificate to show for your efforts.

Attachments

• E1F6DB79-14C9-46D7-8B8E-F0346B44325D.jpeg
    E1F6DB79-14C9-46D7-8B8E-F0346B44325D.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 0
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are you a dual pilgrim if you do the 88 temples route?
Elizabeth, if you walk the 88 Temple Henro and a European camino then I'm sure that you can consider yourself to be a 'Dual Pilgrim' no matter what a piece of paper says. Both are excellent pilgrimage experiences and very memorable! At the end of the day, isn't it really about how you feel inside and what you've learned from your pilgrimages that truly matters?

High Endeavors makes a valid point, but if it’s the paper you want the 88 Temples route does’t qualify, only the two UNESCO World Heritage Pilgrimage Routes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was just curious. I never heard of the term "dual pilgrim". Geez people! Calm down on the assumption that every walk a person does is for stamps or a sheet of paper.

It can be a thing to look at and kick the memory back for all the nice memories when you are old...
So yes... paper/stamps can be nice to have in my humble opinion.
Buen Camino 🌞

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back