• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kumano Kodo & Camino Frances 'dual pilgrim'

Rhysmike

Time of past OR future Camino
St. Jean to Santiago (Apr to June 2014); St. Jean to Finisterre (Apr to May 2016); Via Francigena - Lausanne to Rome (Sep to October 2016)
Will be heading to Japan in about 10 days to walk one of the Kumano Kodo routes in the Kii mountains. Given that the Kumano Kodo and Spain's Camino are the two Unesco heritage trails I have found out that you can qualify for an award, A "Dual Pilgrim" award, for someone who has walked both the Kumano Kodo and the Way of St.James (Camino de Santiago).
http://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/world-heritage/dual-pilgrim/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Will be heading to Japan in about 10 days to walk one of the Kumano Kodo routes in the Kii mountains. Given that the Kumano Kodo and Spain's Camino are the two Unesco heritage trails I have found out that you can qualify for an award, A "Dual Pilgrim" award, for someone who has walked both the Kumano Kodo and the Way of St.James (Camino de Santiago).

We may see you thereabouts. My wife and I are heading to Takamatsu tomorrow and walking 6 days on the 88 Temple route, then heading over for the Kumano Modo.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sounds like an amazing adventure!

I loved spending time in Japan with our foreign exchange daughter, with whom we contained a very close relationship. Japan is a fascinating culture, and I just may being able to persuade my husband to return for this walk.

Please send a link to your blog if you keep one for both walks.

Lucky you!

October will be a lovely time to be walking the Kumano Kodo with the beginning of the fall colours and cooler temperatures. I walked it in February of this year. It was pretty cold but a fabulous experience nevertheless, and received the Dual Pilgrim certificate after presenting my credential and a photo of my Compostela at Kumano Hongu Taisha.

The Kii Peninsula is a very, very special place and I hope you enjoy your time there and won’t have to pull out the rain gear and umbrella too often!

Have a wonderful journey!

98A46AA9-D018-4BB0-881D-2DCF969FC7B2.jpeg . . . 10,755 kilometers to Santiago :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We may see you thereabouts. My wife and I are heading to Takamatsu tomorrow and walking 6 days on the 88 Temple route, then heading over for the Kumano Modo.
We start out from Tanabe on Saturday 21st, although I think we actually start the walk from Takijiri.

Sounds like an amazing adventure!

I loved spending time in Japan with our foreign exchange daughter, with whom we contained a very close relationship. Japan is a fascinating culture, and I just may being able to persuade my husband to return for this walk.

Please send a link to your blog if you keep one for both walks.
This was our 2016 Camino: https://www.polarsteps.com/MichaelMatthias/32127-camino-de-santiago
I note that you'll be back to the Camino next year? We're also back to Spain again, looking to leave SJPdP in the first week in May.

We start out from Tanabe on Saturday 21st, although I think we actually start the walk from Takijiri.
Visits the tourist office at Kii Tanabe, located at the bus station. There you can get trail maps and credential for kumano kodo. It helps to book acomodation ahead of time. Have fun with collecting the stamps

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Visits the tourist office at Kii Tanabe, located at the bus station. There you can get trail maps and credential for kumano kodo. It helps to book acomodation ahead of time. Have fun with collecting the stamps
Thanks for that

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked it last year. A wonderful experience.
At the end, when you finish the Kumano, the temple, the drum, etc.... it is something that will stay with you forever.

Buen Camino

Texas guy

I went to the tourist office to pick up the dual passport but they had no idea what I was talking about and even the office where you get your certificate had no idea they need to promote it better and this was in July this year

I walked it last year. A wonderful experience.
At the end, when you finish the Kumano, the temple, the drum, etc.... it is something that will stay with you forever.

Buen Camino

Texas guy
Sounds so exciting

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Have a truly uplifting experience along the way, and will be hoping that you will in time write a post on this forum about your experience.

Bon camino !

Have a truly uplifting experience along the way, and will be hoping that you will in time write a post on this forum about your experience.

Bon camino !
Thank you, and yes, we’ll post our experiences.

How's your trip @Rhysmike? :D I am looking forward to your blog/photos or anything you have to share from your adventure. The kumano-kodo is on my list and I just stumbled upon this post...very exciting to see a discussion on the forum about this unusual Camino. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How's your trip @Rhysmike? :D I am looking forward to your blog/photos or anything you have to share from your adventure. The kumano-kodo is on my list and I just stumbled upon this post...very exciting to see a discussion on the forum about this unusual Camino. :)
Here is the link to our trip blog:

https://www.polarsteps.com/MichaelMatthias/244879-kumano-kodo-japan

Two learnings: 1. Walking through a typhoon can be a challenge. 2. We walked west to east, through Hongu, and didn't realise until we finished on the east coast that "all paths lead to Hongu" and we should have inquired about the dual pilgrim award in Hongu. Something to think about if you walk in the Kii peninsular.

Here is the link to our trip blog:

https://www.polarsteps.com/MichaelMatthias/244879-kumano-kodo-japan

Two learnings: 1. Walking through a typhoon can be a challenge. 2. We walked west to east, through Hongu, and didn't realise until we finished on the east coast that "all paths lead to Hongu" and we should have inquired about the dual pilgrim award in Hongu. Something to think about if you walk in the Kii peninsular.
Hello, thank you so much for the link and those "valuable" :eek::confused: tips!! I haven't really begun researching this camino yet, so please forgive my ignorance in asking if you are saying that you should have walked east to west? Or that literally all the paths kept taking you back to Hongu and it was difficult to stay on the "correct" route? If its in your blog, I'll look there... Thanks much, Sarah

Hello, thank you so much for the link and those "valuable" :eek::confused: tips!! I haven't really begun researching this camino yet, so please forgive my ignorance in asking if you are saying that you should have walked east to west? Or that literally all the paths kept taking you back to Hongu and it was difficult to stay on the "correct" route? If its in your blog, I'll look there... Thanks much, Sarah
Yes, that was a bit confusing. What I meant to indicate was that the Hongu complex and tourist center is in the middle of the peninsular, so whether you start from the west at Kii-Tanabe for example, or from the east in Kii-Katsura, you end up in the middle after two days or so. It's not like the Camino where you end up in Santiago.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, that was a bit confusing. What I meant to indicate was that the Hongu complex and tourist center is in the middle of the peninsular, so whether you start from the west at Kii-Tanabe for example, or from the east in Kii-Katsura, you end up in the middle after two days or so. It's not like the Camino where you end up in Santiago.
Ahh. Thank you;)

Oh No.......... :eek:

These walks in Japan look awesome!

Just enough to drag me away from Spain for a year :)

What's a good time of year to go?

Most read last week in this forum

Started the pilgrimage yesterday (23rd March), walking from Ise Jingu Naiku to Tamaru. Took the train back to accommodation in Ise as there's nothing available in Tamaru. Was raining the whole...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back