• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kumano Kodo in Japan / river approach or river trip

gollygolly

Time of past OR future Camino
2000/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/2021/22/23
Would very much appreciate if anyone can share their experience of taking a boat trip on the Kumano-gawa river.

Is this a worthwhile trip and any recommendation for the type of trip - with kayaking / traditional boat / flat bottomed boat appearing to be among the possible forms of river transport. Also any suggestions as to include this as part of the walk or to add it on at the end after

Any recommendations for this as well as while walking [the Nakahechi route starting at Takijiri-oji heading to Kumano Hongu Taisha and ending at Kumano Nachi Taisha] the actual Kumano Kodo will be very, very welcome.

Many thanks in advance

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Would very much appreciate if anyone can share their experience of taking a boat trip on the Kumano-gawa river.

Is this a worthwhile trip and any recommendation for the type of trip - with kayaking / traditional boat / flat bottomed boat appearing to be among the possible forms of river transport. Also any suggestions as to include this as part of the walk or to add it on at the end after

Any recommendations for this as well as while walking [the Nakahechi route starting at Takijiri-oji heading to Kumano Hongu Taisha and ending at Kumano Nachi Taisha] the actual Kumano Kodo will be very, very welcome.

Many thanks in advance

The whole cultural experience of Japan and the KK was absolutely brilliant. Any of those boat trips would be worthwhile. Sadly there was torrential rain and tracks and boat trip were officially closed so we couldnt complete the last leg. Thoroughly reccomend KK ! Sayonara & Buen Camino

I will be doing it, Nagahechi route, this April, plan to add a day just to do the traditional boat trip. All accommodations can be booked online including the boat trip, but I haven't book the boat trip yet, pending weather forecast.
Kumano-katsuura.com

Buen camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Just Google kumano travel reservation system, booking needs to be made 10 days in advance, distance and elevation charts all online. tb-kumano.jp

The whole cultural experience of Japan and the KK was absolutely brilliant. Any of those boat trips would be worthwhile. Sadly there was torrential rain and tracks and boat trip were officially closed so we couldnt complete the last leg. Thoroughly reccomend KK ! Sayonara & Buen Camino

Many thanks for your post ! So looking forward to the experience....

I will be doing it, Nagahechi route, this April, plan to add a day just to do the traditional boat trip. All accommodations can be booked online including the boat trip, but I haven't book the boat trip yet, pending weather forecast.
Kumano-katsuura.com

Buen camino

Much appreciated - thank you

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Kumano-gawa boat ride was excellent! It is very dependent upon water level and weather conditions. Book ahead and you'll be informed by 8:30am the morning of your trip if the boat is a go-no go. We had spectacular weather and Tomoko-san an excellent guide. There's a stamp for your Credencial inside the boat tour office. Note the bus stop/boat departure location has moved from Hitari to Michi-no-Eki Kumano Gawa.

Attachments

• 67898A9F-6671-4BED-ADA5-BFC5252441C0.jpeg
    67898A9F-6671-4BED-ADA5-BFC5252441C0.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 0
The Kumano-gawa boat ride was excellent! It is very dependent upon water level and weather conditions. Book ahead and you'll be informed by 8:30am the morning of your trip if the boat is a go-no go. We had spectacular weather and Tomoko-san an excellent guide. There's a stamp for your Credencial inside the boat tour office. Note the bus stop/boat departure location has moved from Hitari to Michi-no-Eki Kumano Gawa.

Thanks so much for your suggestion, espcially the recommendtion of Tomoko-san as a guide ; so looking forward to being there, the departure for Japan is tomorrow morning !

Have a great time and hope the weather is good. It rained 1/5 days for us.

Maybe we should coin a new phrase and say “Buen Kumano!”

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I like it - 'Buen Kumano !' has a good ring to it.

Have packed ponchos for the expected rain, and while I have never been deterred by the rain, will be hoping that it will be more spring showers as opposed to heavy typhoon rain !

The good news about the rain is most of the time you’re walking in the forest and the canopy should keep the rain gentle. The mist is so magical. The bad news about rain is the trail can get very slippery as it is quite steep, on stones, and over tree roots. I found my poles to be invaluable.

Also, when you get to Yunomine Onsen, buy a bag of eggs at one of the stores and cook them in the “cooking hot spring” for 13 mins. Rinse under the cold water tap by the wall for easier peeling. Best hard boiled eggs you’ll have and they made a great snack for the next day!

Buen Kumano!

Many thanks for all the posts and guidance - we had a fantastic time walking on the Nakehechi trail from Takijiri to Hongu and also making the separate river trip, and highly recommend both.

All the best

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.